Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger

My Fellow IT Nerds

What kind of projects are you currently working on? We should turn this forum into a real IT shop instead of it being full of low level BS computer problems.

Who here is an actual Network Engineer, Network Architect? CCIE, MCSE?

I am currently implementing a Hyper-V solution into my envirnoment. I already have VMWare ESX 3x up and running but am going to leverage the Microsoft product if indeed it can at least give me 90% of what my ESX environmemnt is doing.

I have installed Server 2008 Core, configured it and have enabled the Hyper-V role on it, created a 2003 Server VM and am now carving out some space on my SAN...next trick is attaching a LUN.

Some interesting stuff but so far I don't really have any comments about Hyper-V vs VMware. VMWare is obviously way ahead of Microsoft when it comes to virtualization...but hey..why not leverage a free product instead of completely commiting to an expensive VMWare solution?

Right now, I am a VMWare guy, so we shall see what Hyper-V can do....
    ***No source checks!!!***

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    I have a decent knowledge of networking and computers. I am currently in school for my AS - CET( Computer Engineering Technology) with a MCSE by the time I am done. The degree is a mix of some engineering courses and computer courses. Once that is finished(or sooner), Ill be looking to get my foot in the door somewhere. Eventually becoming a network or systems admin. Ill be working on my BS during all this.

Having said that, I haven't had a chance to mess with server 2008. Is it any good? Im just now taking courses for 2003. I do have a decent knowledge of Active Directory just not in implementing it.

I dont have anything to add other than that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    I have a decent knowledge of networking and computers. I am currently in school for my AS - CET( Computer Engineering Technology) with a MCSE by the time I am done. The degree is a mix of some engineering courses and computer courses. Once that is finished(or sooner), Ill be looking to get my foot in the door somewhere. Eventually becoming a network or systems admin. Ill be working on my BS during all this.

Having said that, I haven't had a chance to mess with server 2008. Is it any good? Im just now taking courses for 2003. I do have a decent knowledge of Active Directory just not in implementing it.

I dont have anything to add other than that lol.

One thing I went over today was the new feature in Server 2008 which is Read Only Domain Controllers....sweet....I completed my 2008 virtualization implementation today. I didn't create LUN an attach to my SAN yet

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    least windows does their server editions well. need to work on their home version releases lol!

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    only words i understood in this post were, the, and, i

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    least windows does their server editions well. need to work on their home version releases lol!
    No, the end user has to have some brains you know...especially if he/she wants to go Vista.

Thread Information