Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 47
  1. #1
    J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,723

    Traits of a weight room junkie?

    I was thinking while I was driving today. And thought Iíd see what you guys though.

    The guys I know that are serious about their training, seem to be more serious guys. Iím goofy, but Iím serious at the same time? I donít really care to meet too many new friends, Iím content at home, I donít need to go out all the time.
    At the gym, Iím not looking to talk. When Iím not working out, Iím focusing on my career or bettering myself in some way.
    Iím critical of myself, I expect a lot of myself so Iím very hard on myself.
    Normal? For ďusĒ?

  2. #2
    WARMachine's Avatar
    WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    R.I.P. TMOS
    Posts
    7,981
    So what youre saying is guys who are lifting addicts are dicks?

    Yeah i agree with that...

    For the most part we are that top 1% of Alpha Males...

  3. #3
    Reed's Avatar
    Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!
    Posts
    21,876
    I'm goofy but just serious about my training, dieting, and physique

  4. #4
    DSM4Life's Avatar
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor - Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    30,951
    Blog Entries
    1
    Is it normal to be a d!ck ? No. just because your big and strong doesn't justify you being an @$$hole.

  5. #5
    WARMachine's Avatar
    WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    R.I.P. TMOS
    Posts
    7,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed500 View Post
    I'm goofy looking but just serious about my training, dieting, and physique


    Yeah i agree with that too...

  6. #6
    WARMachine's Avatar
    WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    R.I.P. TMOS
    Posts
    7,981
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Is it normal to be a d!ck ? No. just because your big and strong doesn't justify you being an @$$hole.
    It doesnt justify it at all, but that doesnt mean that most of here are not...

  7. #7
    Reed's Avatar
    Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!
    Posts
    21,876
    Quote Originally Posted by war4BTT View Post
    Yeah i agree with that too...
    this is true...

  8. #8
    JDMSilviaSpecR's Avatar
    JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Out of Control
    Posts
    7,418
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Is it normal to be a d!ck ? No. just because your big and strong doesn't justify you being an @$$hole.
    Does being straight up, blunt, and brutally honest count as being an asshole?

  9. #9
    J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,723
    At least I'm not alone, well I feel like I am most of the time.

    I have a hard time relating with people, or "liking" people? I am super nice, a real nice guy, everyone that knows me, likes me. I talk to everyone, but I just don't feel they are qualified as a friend of mine? It sounds harsh, but it's just how I feel some times. I'm not saying I always like it. I guess I feel like I am better than most people? But I am nice to them.

    I'm not saying I don't feel emotion, or anything like that. I get sad too, depressed, some times those human emotions come out.

  10. #10
    WARMachine's Avatar
    WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    R.I.P. TMOS
    Posts
    7,981
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMSilviaSpecR View Post
    Does being straight up, blunt, and brutally honest count as being an asshole?
    Best way to put it...

    People often confuse honesty with being a prick.


    Like realism and pessimism. People often confuse me with the latter.

  11. #11
    J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,723
    Quote Originally Posted by war4BTT View Post
    Best way to put it...

    People often confuse honesty with being a prick.


    Like realism and pessimism. People often confuse me with the latter.
    Judging by your replys, and my thoughts, I think it's safe to say most suffer from Narcissism?

    I know I spend so much time focusing on my goals, i forget about the rest of the world, or feel it does not even matter.

  12. #12
    WARMachine's Avatar
    WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    R.I.P. TMOS
    Posts
    7,981
    Oh without DOUBT!

    Im SOOOO self-centered....


    Anyone who ever gets anywhere is...

    You never hear about the guy whos friends with everyone, and passes up things so others can have get ahead do you?

    Isnt the richest, baddest guy always a self-centered Ass hole?

    idk, my goals are whats important to me... Everyone and thing can take a ride in the backseat...

  13. #13
    J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,723
    Quote Originally Posted by war4BTT View Post
    Oh without DOUBT!

    Im SOOOO self-centered....


    Anyone who ever gets anywhere is...

    You never hear about the guy whos friends with everyone, and passes up things so others can have get ahead do you?

    Isnt the richest, baddest guy always a self-centered Ass hole?

    idk, my goals are whats important to me... Everyone and thing can take a ride in the backseat...

    I agree 100%


    Iíve flourished with my career and do am very good at achieve my goals, I find ways to stay motivated.

    I have a sick amount of drive and determination. That determination makes me hard to understand, and it makes me very stubborn. It makes it hard to qualify people; it makes it hard to accept even a girl as being good enough.
    Eventually I end up messing things up with girlfriends because Iím so self centered. When I say Iím narcissistic, it is not always a good thing. I think most people think if you are ďvainĒ then you are bragging about it, because so many people say it in a way to brag about themselves.

    Iím not bragging, while itís great in a lot of situations, Itís caused trouble in others.

  14. #14
    jnewton86's Avatar
    jnewton86 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    670
    I agree ^. It comes down to how serious you take accomplishing your goals and what your standards are when you choose to befriend someone. I feel the same way, nothing gets in my way of accomplishing my goals

  15. #15
    Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Living easy in Asia
    Posts
    2,243
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dogg View Post
    Judging by your replys, and my thoughts, I think it's safe to say most suffer from Narcissism?

    I know I spend so much time focusing on my goals, i forget about the rest of the world, or feel it does not even matter.
    Agree,, can't help it, when i hit the gym i think of it as all mine, everything there for me, hate waiting for weights,,,,,,,, yep admit i'm an ar*ehole when in the gym, it's my world when i'm there.

    Prob the rest of life too.....lol but so what....

  16. #16
    Reed's Avatar
    Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!
    Posts
    21,876
    I personally try to avoid this type of thinking. Am I narcissistic, yes, Am I self centered yes. But I definitely show others respect, be personable with people and get away from the I'm better than everyone type thinking b/c I'm not. Everyone in the gym, or anywhere, has as much right to be there. I help as much as I can without trying to be rude or arrogant. No need for any of that.

  17. #17
    rockinred's Avatar
    rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Training Hardcore Style
    Posts
    2,337
    I like to have fun...small talk w/ bros at gym is not too bad as long as it is not excessive or taking up time.

    lighten up a little with others.. going around all angry at the gym makes it an unenjoyable hobby... you'll find a whole different experience if you be cool with everyone... i'm with reed on this...relax a little and have fun.

  18. #18
    xlxBigSexyxlx's Avatar
    xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    13,966
    Blog Entries
    2
    I talk with people at the gym, and sometimes I even choose to play basketball over lifting.
    Im not a 100% hardcore bodybuilder by any means. but I don't have bodybuilding goals...so....

    Im not flashy or a show off by any means. I treat everyone with respect until they give me a reason not too. Everyone seems to like me.

    I really should be a little more dedicated to it all though. I just tend to choose play over work too much

  19. #19
    Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Living easy in Asia
    Posts
    2,243
    I know how i can be so i mostly train at 05:00am when there is no one there

    I think a lot depends where you are, when i train in Thailand i'm ok and train anytime, np, but when i am in laos i avoid people and train early mornings and just get back to my business, avoid going out as much as possible.

  20. #20
    JiGGaMaN's Avatar
    JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,700
    the weight room junkie is not all that different from the street junkie: both carry their important possessions in a duffle bag and shoot drugs with a syringe. They are also likely to be mentally ill.

  21. #21
    Bojangles69's Avatar
    Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Joisey
    Posts
    7,958
    Quote Originally Posted by JiGGaMaN View Post
    the weight room junkie is not all that different from the street junkie: both carry their important possessions in a duffle bag and shoot drugs with a syringe. They are also likely to be mentally ill.
    Its really interesting you put it that way because one guy I know at the gym who is more a cardio junkie (seriously does like 1 1/2 - 2 hours cardio a day) also happens to be a recovering alcoholic who use to be seriously fvcked up.

    I wouldn't be surprised if its more common than we think

  22. #22
    DSM4Life's Avatar
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor - Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    30,951
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    I talk with people at the gym, and sometimes I even choose to play basketball over lifting.
    Im not a 100% hardcore bodybuilder by any means. but I don't have bodybuilding goals...so....

    Im not flashy or a show off by any means. I treat everyone with respect until they give me a reason not too. Everyone seems to like me.

    I really should be a little more dedicated to it all though. I just tend to choose play over work too much
    I wouldn't mind picking some play with you over work.

  23. #23
    daem's Avatar
    daem is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    3,482
    Traits:
    - Impatient when people use the squat rack for non-squatting/dead lifting exercises
    - Says maybe 2-5 words the entire time they are at the gym
    - Asks people to work in with them and doesn't take no for an answer
    - Gets mad when people sweat all over equipment and don't towel / sanitize
    - Doesn't act like a dumbass
    - Has great form on all exercises, which means sacrificing weight for the sake of the contraction/form
    - Doesn't walk around with arms/chest flared out intentionally like the high schoolers who wear wife-beaters
    - Is over 200lbs
    - Never ever wears jean shorts
    - Knows the importance of staying hydrated during a workout

  24. #24
    Ernst's Avatar
    Ernst is online now Borderline Personality
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    18,560
    Sore and used to it.

  25. #25
    Phate's Avatar
    Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    10,940
    Quote Originally Posted by JiGGaMaN View Post
    the weight room junkie is not all that different from the street junkie: both carry their important possessions in a duffle bag and shoot drugs with a syringe. They are also likely to be mentally ill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles69 View Post
    Its really interesting you put it that way because one guy I know at the gym who is more a cardio junkie (seriously does like 1 1/2 - 2 hours cardio a day) also happens to be a recovering alcoholic who use to be seriously fvcked up.

    I wouldn't be surprised if its more common than we think
    i agree, with jigga and bojangles on this one

    Have any of ya'll noticed that you get semi-depressed if you can't get to the gym for a few days, i know i do when i have so much school stuff that i don't have time to get there

    As far as jdogg's original question/statement, i notice i am almost complete opposites in the gym and in life

    In life i'm the guy that is always smiling(pointed out by some of my girlfriends) and if someone looks lonely or sad/all by theirselves but looks like they want to be part of a group but are socially awkward, then i'm the type that goes and talks to them and invites them to hangout with my group

    but in the gym i don't talk to people unless they need help or are in my way, i'm not a dick or anything, but i notice at the campus gym the first thing people do when they walk in is see if they know anyone and then do shake hands and start talking, i just walk in, do what i'm there to do, then leave

  26. #26
    rhino1's Avatar
    rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Your GF's Hot Wet Snatch
    Posts
    2,219
    Im quiet, dont smile, train hard, dont say good morning, dont say good evening, dont say hello, dont say goodbye....but im ultimately nice...if you have the balls to try to engage in a conversation with me.

    If someone equates that with being a dick then I guess im a dick....

    Like i give a fvck anyway

  27. #27
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Voice of Reason is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,054
    I knew this one guy that would ask other members if he could suck their dick if they would pay his monthly dues, that dude was crazy addicted to the gym. He'd be standing by the water fountain saying "Yo I got deez protien burgers maan, cmon I'll suck yo dick."

  28. #28
    thetank's Avatar
    thetank is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    im natty.no source cheks
    Posts
    2,165
    im not much of a serious person at all..and im a pretty social guy, but when ever im in the gym ide rather not be spoken too. when im doing something that im passionate about, or is important to me, and someone speaking to me is interrupting my concentration i just let them know. the people there to talk are the people that dont get it. i wouldnt walk up to barry bonds and ask him what he was doing this weekend while hes up to bat. whether im a pro or not i can gaurentee i take my game just as seriously as he takes his...but people who are just there because they think they should be dont get that perspective.

  29. #29
    ghettoboyd's Avatar
    ghettoboyd is online now MONITOR
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    dont ask for a source thx
    Posts
    8,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed500 View Post
    I personally try to avoid this type of thinking. Am I narcissistic, yes, Am I self centered yes. But I definitely show others respect, be personable with people and get away from the I'm better than everyone type thinking b/c I'm not. Everyone in the gym, or anywhere, has as much right to be there. I help as much as I can without trying to be rude or arrogant. No need for any of that.
    well said bro, thats exactly how i feel and try to carry myself.

  30. #30
    DSM4Life's Avatar
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor - Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    30,951
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I knew this one guy that would ask other members if he could suck their dick if they would pay his monthly dues, that dude was crazy addicted to the gym. He'd be standing by the water fountain saying "Yo I got deez protien burgers maan, cmon I'll suck yo dick."
    *takes outs pen

    Where is this gym located ?

  31. #31
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Voice of Reason is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    *takes outs pen

    Where is this gym located ?
    I think he goes here now: www.12streetgym.com

  32. #32
    W.I.L.L's Avatar
    W.I.L.L is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Weakness I Left Lost
    Posts
    74
    I guess I could say I'm in the same ship as most of you guys are.

    I'm the no B.S. type of person who hates the mind, duality-run-around games and I think that spawns from the fact that most of us here take what we do seriously and with meaning, and not necessarily just working out. Meaning is something I try to seek in everything I do and this is a trait that most people lack in today's world (especially the west). War hit it just right when he said that anyone who gets anywhere is usually self-centered, and this is true. You have to be an objectivist; tunnel vision, full throttle ahead and get the fvck out of my way.

    The biggest issue I think that most people have with the judgement of others and whether or not someone is classified as a dick or not, is the appropriate application of conducting yourself in a "timely" manner to which one would not be offended by your actions or words. This is primarily influenced by TONE and how you go about presenting yourself. Although in today's ever so fast changing world of overloading of information and numerous outlets for self satisfaction, it becomes very difficult to determine how you should go about acceptance (if you even care) amongst others when at all times everyone is always trying to sell themselves in some way no matter how you look at it. The realizations of what was thought of being friendly and kind today, are pompous and arrogant tomorrow. (just like in Idiocracy if any of you have seen it)

    I suggest to everyone reading and relating to this thread to read/listen to Ayn Rand. I'll post up a few tracks of her audio tomorrow when I get to my HD. I think it would help some understanding of this internal/external debate.
    Last edited by W.I.L.L; 11-16-2008 at 01:10 PM.

  33. #33
    Andro9's Avatar
    Andro9 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The Endless Obsession
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino1 View Post
    Im quiet, dont smile, train hard, dont say good morning, dont say good evening, dont say hello, dont say goodbye....but im ultimately nice...if you have the balls to try to engage in a conversation with me.

    If someone equates that with being a dick then I guess im a dick....

    Like i give a fvck anyway

    HAHAHA idk why but i thought that was funy as hell

  34. #34
    stpete is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kitchen, Gym, Kitchen....
    Posts
    13,716
    Quote Originally Posted by JiGGaMaN View Post
    the weight room junkie is not all that different from the street junkie: both carry their important possessions in a duffle bag and shoot drugs with a syringe. They are also likely to be mentally ill.
    I've said this very thing to myself at least a hundred times. Yet i continue to use. But i'm not a junkie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I knew this one guy that would ask other members if he could suck their dick if they would pay his monthly dues, that dude was crazy addicted to the gym. He'd be standing by the water fountain saying "Yo I got deez protien burgers maan, cmon I'll suck yo dick."
    This is a joke right?

  35. #35
    Phate's Avatar
    Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    10,940
    [QUOTE=stpete;4299837]I've said this very thing to myself at least a hundred times. Yet i continue to use. But i'm not a junkie.


    This is a joke right?[/QUOTE]

    i hope he's making a joke along dave chapelle's line

  36. #36
    AUb27 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by daem View Post
    Traits:
    - Never ever wears jean shorts
    hahahahahaha unreal.

  37. #37
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Voice of Reason is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by stpete View Post
    This is a joke right?
    cmon bro, lol...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_4nupAxvNw

    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    i hope he's making a joke along dave chapelle's line
    Nah "Menace 2 Society" the clip is from the spoof. wait here's the real one.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYoUGkQJI64

    .
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 11-16-2008 at 10:22 PM.

  38. #38
    stpete is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kitchen, Gym, Kitchen....
    Posts
    13,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    cmon bro, lol...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_4nupAxvNw


    Nah "Menace 2 Society" the clip is from the spoof. wait here's the real one.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYoUGkQJI64

    .
    Alright, i got you now.

  39. #39
    Schmidty's Avatar
    Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,899
    Im 100% dedicated to bodybuilding, it is my fix that gets me from day to day. I need it and feel as if im falling apart when i dont get ther after 2days. I am also a very sociall person and try to go out with friends at night or on the wknd. Iv brought tuna and veggies to a bar when i wasnt drinking. My diet is what makes it hard to be a sociall person but i will not miss a meal for the life of me, unless im getn laid but its straight to the lunch box as soon as i bust a nut n a bitch.

  40. #40
    JiGGaMaN's Avatar
    JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by daem View Post
    Traits:
    - Impatient when people use the squat rack for non-squatting/dead lifting exercises
    - Says maybe 2-5 words the entire time they are at the gym
    - Asks people to work in with them and doesn't take no for an answer
    - Gets mad when people sweat all over equipment and don't towel / sanitize
    - Doesn't act like a dumbass
    - Has great form on all exercises, which means sacrificing weight for the sake of the contraction/form
    - Doesn't walk around with arms/chest flared out intentionally like the high schoolers who wear wife-beaters
    - Is over 200lbs
    - Never ever wears jean shorts
    - Knows the importance of staying hydrated during a workout
    i lol'd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •