Headliner is offline Junior Member

Steroid history, english report

For my grade 12 English class I have to write a persuasive essay on a controversial issue, I'm choosing to write it on Anabolic steroids . I could use some help

I'm starting off with a brief history of when AAS were first used in sports, which I believe began in the 1940’s in the Soviet Union where steroid programs were used to enhance the performance of Olympic and amateur weight lifters. This leads to the Americans creating and using Dbol .

Now what happens in between then and 1988 where Ben Johnson is stripped of his gold metal for steroid use . When exactly did steroids become Illegal? Was It legal in the 1940's-50's to use AAS? Could anyone give me some useful links?

Thanks Bros.
    Last edited by Headliner; 12-09-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Darn, moved from ANABOLIC STEROIDS - QUESTIONS & ANSWERS "Questions and answers about anabolic steroids ". It's clearly a question about AAS, not off topic ;/
    Last edited by Headliner; 12-09-2008 at 06:53 PM.

0tolerance is offline Associate Member
    dont take my word for it, but im sure that steroids were only made illegal in the early 90's
    but they were banned from my sports in the 80s.

search youtube.. there is some really good films on the history of steroids and steroid use ..
    theres even a national geographic one some where if you can find it, ive watched it before.. its like 40 minutes long.

Yeah I know Anabolic Steroids became illegal from the steroid Control act of 1990, did not hear they were banned from all sports in 1980 though, I'll try and look into that, more input is appreciated though, especially some good links, thanks.

0tolerance is offline Associate Member

yeah, doesn't tell me much about steroids before the 1990 control act, other then they were used in 1940's 1950's at the olympics.

I just found something else though, not done reading but I believe "performance Enhancers" (including AAS) were banned from sports in 1928. It's true AAS didn't emerge till later, but it was pretty much an honor system until 1960's-1970's when testing became available. If so this means steroids weren't banned from the olympics when they were openly used?

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    I sent you a PM of a short persuasive essay I wrote some time ago on the topic. Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but it may give you some ideas to draw from.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Oops, I think I sent you the rough draft... Oh well, you get the idea.

Thank you very much ErnstHatAngst, gave me a completely different perspective of how to write the essay, I was going into to much detail about history etc. I also like the comment about muscle implants vs diet/routine/physician help.

Cheers bro!

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    How old are you?

19(left last year of high school to work... decided to go back and finish), I'll admit I actually have some cycle experience. After a good 6+ month of reading up on steroids on my spare time, I found what I thought source and went for it.
    I had blood tests done before and after, and determined what I had thoughts of half way through the cycle, that the gear was fake.

At first I was furious, wasting 10 weeks of my time etc, but now I'm pretty happy about it. I have hands on knowledge of injecting, aspirating, injecting through a blood vessel(nice mess that was) etc. I didn't get any infection while injecting EoD and this "cycle" actually scratched my itch of taking steroids. I am still trying to learn even more about AAS, as I continue training natty, waiting till my 20's.

Of course I am leaving cycle knowledge/use out of my paper

g0dsend is offline Member
    Goto a website with term papers and search steroids , that should give you a basic outline on how to write it. Watch Bigger, Faster, Stronger too as it will give you some good insight.

yeah, I watched the movie 2-3 times and pulled all the useful information out of there. Also used the realsports HBO special on steroids .

I have a new question... how exactly does Canadian/US law work? When congress passed the controlled substance act in 1990, did anabolic steroids automatically become illegal in Canada as well? When did Canada add anabolic steroids to their controlled substance act as a schedule IV drug?

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    If you need the legal questions answered...

Go to the DEA website... I learned about their legality there mostly...

May also want to check out the book, "Legal Muscle"... I dont remember the author, but nonetheless, good read...

I suggest all members of this form have this book.

Thread Information