jnewton86 is offline Member

what would u do if it was ur dad?

My dad is 6'1" and weighs around 430, age 50. He's to the point where he uses a cane to get from the computer room to the kitchen and cant walk more then 50ft without using a motorized chair. The issue is he has his heart set on this lap band surgery which he will be getting i think the 20th, he admits he has no willpower or discipline when it comes to nutrition and exercise. Getting the surgery would only make it more mandatory to eat healthy nutritious food due to the fact that you can only consume tid bit amounts of food, I think he thinks that getting it will be the miracle cure to his problem and that he can still eat crap food and lose weight. Ive offered to pay for a personal trainer and get him on a eating routine but he declines. In his eyes the surgery is the answer

I guess I'll just wait to see the outcome

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Personally I woudl have gotten heavily involved long ago. He is at a dangerous point now where he should be exercising under doctor supervision. Not sure what there is that you can do other than be morally supportive and try and help him find foods that are better choices that he doesnt hate.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully the doctors do everything correctly by having him see a traditionalist before AND after for a long time so he knows that he's in it for the long haul. The band surgery is successful in extreme cases but he can't think that's all he has to do.

If I were you I would challenge him that you could help him lose the weight just as good as the surgery and to please give you a shot because you're so concerned.

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    bro, I would talk to the doctor and see if he can in anyway talk to you're father and let him know that diet and exercise are very important as well.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    i think that a lot of those types of surgeries are some of the most irresponsible fixes in the history f modern medicine, liposuction too. a lot of these people end up gaining weight back as soon as they stretch the **** out of their stomachs again.

if you're 430lbs and can't walk and that doesn't motivate you on its own, i just don't think that gastric bypass or a belt will work over the real long term.

you should try to get him to go through some kind of intensive cleanup phase if you have the means. he prolly has a lot of cravings akin to drug addiction right now. if he went through the pain of eating healthfully for a week or even a few days in a controled environment that would be half his battle right there.

bigt10 is offline Member
    DNP

lol maybee but it is like once your 430 it is almost so hard to come back. i mean its possible but at 50...

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    That surgery is quite dangerous in and of itself, but your dad seems to be in a state of health where it might not be a bad idea. However, that's just one step towards a better life, not a long term cure-all ticket to happiness.

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    You obviously care a great deal and have been trying to help. Only your Dad can make the change though. Support him as much as you can, but don't feel guilty about his condition.

bigt10 is offline Member
    Okay this sounds horrible i respect youand your father and i think its great you care. People in this bad of shape have given up hope they believe nothing can fix this. Here is what i recommend to change his life style around.

For one he is 50 and most likely has low test levels.
    He most likely has a weak thyroid at 430 pounds, that is well beyond obese.

You need to get him on the right track. I say get him working out. Get him on TRT and get him to use some t3/t4 (dont use clen he probably already has a heart in bad shape).

Get blood work done, i bet he has low thyroid and testosterone for sure at 430 pounds.

LOok for someone in this bad of shape all they need is a start. If you can get him going and lets say he loses 20-40 pounds, thats all you need then he will be self motivated and feel better.

But you need to do something to kick start him off. Get him on a HRT program, get blood work done, tell him how he could die from it. Maybee give him DNP for 2 weeks or something.

Bottom line is you need to help him get on his way. If he is 430 pounds its sad but he has given up hope.

If you can kick start him and get him off the right foot then set up success with getting thyroid medication and an HRT program he will see results then your dad will begin to see the light. If you can also help him get going he will appreciate it very much. SO do what ever you can to get him started and give him hope.

bigt10 is offline Member
    Look anyone that obese is a sad story. He has given up unfortuneatly and doesnt have much clue to lose the weight. He wants to but he has no hope. read that post just up there.

I think if you can get him started and if he can beleive inhimself thats all you need to do.

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigt10 View Post
    Okay this sounds horrible i respect youand your father and i think its great you care. People in this bad of shape have given up hope they believe nothing can fix this. Here is what i recommend to change his life style around.

For one he is 50 and most likely has low test levels.
    He most likely has a weak thyroid at 430 pounds, that is well beyond obese.

You need to get him on the right track. I say get him working out. Get him on TRT and get him to use some t3/t4 (dont use clen he probably already has a heart in bad shape).

Get blood work done, i bet he has low thyroid and testosterone for sure at 430 pounds.

LOok for someone in this bad of shape all they need is a start. If you can get him going and lets say he loses 20-40 pounds, thats all you need then he will be self motivated and feel better.

But you need to do something to kick start him off. Get him on a HRT program, get blood work done, tell him how he could die from it. Maybee give him DNP for 2 weeks or something.

Bottom line is you need to help him get on his way. If he is 430 pounds its sad but he has given up hope.

If you can kick start him and get him off the right foot then set up success with getting thyroid medication and an HRT program he will see results then your dad will begin to see the light. If you can also help him get going he will appreciate it very much. SO do what ever you can to get him started and give him hope.
    Thyroid med may not be the wisest choice if you are morbidly obese. Heres a few sides of Cytomel :
    # High blood pressure (hypertension)
    # A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
    # An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
    # Heart failure, chest pain, or a heart attack
    # Heart palpitations
    Please know what you are talking about before you recommend anything.

Sherman01 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cgb6810 View Post
    You obviously care a great deal and have been trying to help. Only your Dad can make the change though. Support him as much as you can, but don't feel guilty about his condition.
    Bingo

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    the easy way out is the american way....

jnewton86 is offline Member
    thanx for comments guys, appreciate it.

Ive already told him i guarantee his t levels are low and to get it checked out, he says ok and does nothing. I agree with the hope part, he has given up in that aspect.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cgb6810 View Post
    Agreed.

The people who are saying 'you should have been more heavily involved from the beginning' have no idea what they're talking about.

People cannot be made to change.

Heck, I deal with people in a fitness capacity daily... It's what I do for a living.

Concern shown around the individual is for naught, unless the individual believes change is necessary themselves.

If concern were enough, none of us here would have fat relatives or significant others.

The number of 'my family doesn't understand my bodybuilding lifestyle'-type threads is testament to this.

-CNS

Thread Information