melbgymnst is offline Junior Member

Muscle contractions

ok fellas just got released from hospital today, i was rushed in for numbness on the left side my body. thankfully its no stroke.
    problem is i had pins and needles in my arm, then bang ! my whole arm went tense and i had the most painfull muscle contractions in both my arms for about 20 minutes and could not move my fingers at all. put it this way it was so painfull it brought me to tears.
    has anyone ever herd of something like this ?
    the doc in the ER didnt even know what it was he ran some test gave me some vallium and sent me on my merry way. i still have a funny numb feeling in my left arm. the doc reckons my heart is fine and he said it wasnt a stroke he was baffled ????
    so am i but im still worried ?
    these muscle contractions were intense !

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Cant believe they would send you home without doing a complete series of tests including an ECG and MRI of the brain.

hold on an ECG is of the heart yeah ?
    pretty sure they did that
    but the MRI no

im very concerend anyway, this was a very intense pain fingers were like solid straight rocks and i couldnt move them. it was like i had been shocked

Quote Originally Posted by melbgymnst View Post
    hold on an ECG is of the heart yeah ?
    pretty sure they did that
    but the MRI no

im very concerend anyway, this was a very intense pain fingers were like solid straight rocks and i couldnt move them. it was like i had been shocked
    Yeah well I would be concerned too, but I am the kind of guy that would tell them what they should be doing. Where do you live ?

northern suburbs melb, i went into the royal melbourne hospital.

northern suburbs melb, i went into the royal melbourne hospital.
    Have you got Private Health Insurance ? If I was you I would get myself to my GP, tell him what happened and tell him to order an MRI of the brain, or at the very least a CT. This is not normal mate and it needs to be investigated further. What juice or medications are you on. ?

no juice atm, i was on antibiotics but have been on them for a while and i know they are definitly not the cause.
    its strange because i have never experienced anything like this and have always thought of myself to have good health.
    i woke up this morning with a tingling arm, thought it was strange so got up for a stretch.
    did a few laps around the house then i started to notice my left leg was feeling numb, this was when i really started to get worried, my mum being a nurse of over 10 years i consulted her. she said it could be signs of stroke, so we drove straight to the ER.
    on the way to the ER sitting in the car my lips nose neck and right arm became to feel numb aswell thats when i started to cramp. from my elbows down it felt like i had an anaconda wrapping around my arms. this lasted for about 20 minutes till finally got to the ER and demanded to see a doctor straight away.
    i would really appreciate some feed back from anyone who has ever experienced muscle contractions. if only you could of seen it, i looked terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    Have you got Private Health Insurance ? If I was you I would get myself to my GP, tell him what happened and tell him to order an MRI of the brain, or at the very least a CT. This is not normal mate and it needs to be investigated further. What juice or medications are you on. ?

sorry mate forgot to answer ur question, no i dont have private health care insurance but im definitly gunna be looking into it a little further, i dont think ill be lifting weights for a while

Well I would get my ass back to another Hospital if I was you. Your mother must know what you are describing could be very serious. God these fvcking idiots that call themselves Dr's piss me off. Why not Try St Vincents. Then go in there and scream bloody murder and that you wont accept a pat on the head and that you want a real diagnosis. I would at the very least insist on a brain scan

yeah, i think im shitting myself.......
    you reckon it would have something to do with the brain?, i was honeslty thinking something to with the heart...because of the muscle contractions atleast....?

yeah, i think im shitting myself.......
    you reckon it would have something to do with the brain?, i was honeslty thinking something to with the heart...because of the muscle contractions atleast....?
    Well I am no Dr, but my daughter died of a Brain Tumor when she was just three and a half and while she was sick I did A LOT of research. Now I am not saying thats what you have but the symptoms you describe sound very much brain related to me. If it was me I would eliminate that first. The Dr's always look for the obvious things and to send you away without knowing what is wrong is just irresponsible IMO
    Last edited by Kale; 12-14-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    Well I am no Dr, but my daughter died of a Brain Tumor when she was just three and a half and while she was sick I did A LOT of research. Now I am not saying thats what you have but the symptoms you describe sound very much brain related to me. If it was me I would eliminate that first. The Dr's always look for the obvious things and to send you away without knowing what is wrong is just irresponsible IMO
    sorry to hear that kale, thanks for the input anyway. i had the contractions today on 2 seperate occasions first time was for about 5 minutes then they relaxed themselves, second time was for about 20 minutes.
    my body isnt feeling to bad atm after some sleep i still have a little tingle in my right hand.
    ill give it a few more days and see if it blows over.
    i dont know i could be stressing myself over something little.
    the doctor has told me that if i have these painfull contractions again to come straight to ER. ill keep you posted

Please dont leave it dude !!!!

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    I'd get a MRI and check that brain out bro, ask for one.

I have a friend who had a MRI and they found a clot, if they did not, he'd be dead.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe you even left the hospital. You need to demand tests to be done.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Did he do any brachial plexus test by chance???

Brachial plexus problems can mimic some heart attack symptoms.

just an update on my condition fellas, no problems today still feel a little fatigued from the valliums that the doctor gave me yesterday, but i booked myself an appointment with my local gp for tomorrow, so hopefully ill know a little more after that.
    no more spasms or muscle contractions just a little lingering pins and needles in my left hand.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Did he do any brachial plexus test by chance???

Brachial plexus problems can mimic some heart attack symptoms.
    not that i know of, i had a few test run but i wasnt sure what they were.
    they took blood, and ran a few checks on my heart. no brain scans at all.

ill update in a few days.

Thread Information