DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Microsoft faces new Xbox 360 reliability accusations

Fix would have cost 50c per machine, suit claims

By Mike Smith

Remember last week's story about Jason Johnson, the Illinois man who sued Microsoft over his Xbox 360's alleged habit of scratching his game DVDs?

Documents unsealed in his court case revealed Microsoft discovered its Xbox 360 could scratch discs before it went on sale in 2005, and even got as far as considering three possible solutions to the problem, the Seattle Tech Report revealed today.

The characteristic circular scratches can occur whenever the orientation of the console -- which is designed to be used in either a horizontal or vertical position -- is changed while the drive is spinning. Johnson filed his suit after his console scratched three store-bought game discs, and is seeking $50,000 in punitive damages.

Testimony obtained from a Microsoft program manager indicates that Microsoft became aware of the problem months before the 360's launch when retail demonstration consoles malfunctioned. The company examined three solutions: strengthening the magnets that hold the discs in place, slowing the rotational speed of the discs, and installing rubber bumpers to cushion the discs, but rejected them all. Installing the bumpers could have cost as little as $0.50 per console, the suit claims.

It's not the first time Microsoft has come under fire for alleged foreknowledge of Xbox 360 hardware issues, either. Back in September, an expose penned by VentureBeat writer Dean Takahashi claimed systemic failures in Microsoft's design and quality assurance processes lead to the Xbox 360's now-infamous overheating "Red Ring of Death" failures.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/...ations/1274293

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    great news DSM.

g0dsend is offline Member
    That makes me mad, I ruined 2 games when I had the 360 because I bumped the system when the game was playing, scratched the whole CD.

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    why would you be flipping your x-box while it's playing a disc...I'm gonna call frivioulous on that one. The death light is another story but they usually fix that for free.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Mine has gotten bumped and killed a couple games. It doesn't take much.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    why would you be flipping your x-box while it's playing a disc...I'm gonna call frivioulous on that one. The death light is another story but they usually fix that for free.
    Yep...yet some more of our court money going into the pocket of a weisle

scibble is offline "A Dukkit In The Making"
    "our court money?" LOL

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    gta4 got scratched that way... pisssssssssed me off

Voice of Reason is offline Senior Member
    That's funny, I bought the 2 year Black Tie warranty for an Xbox 360 I purchased last night cause the kid at the checkout told me this news story. So not a bad deal $40 for 2 years worth of protection, I just hope the Geek Squad doesn't trip and is cool with me if/when I mod it with some firmware and install a stronger 12v fan.
    I been checking out some aesthetic mods aswell some of these look pretty cool.

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/20...360-case-mods/

Last edited by Voice of Reason; 12-19-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added link...

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    That's funny, I bought the 2 year Black Tie warranty for an Xbox 360 I purchased last night cause the kid at the checkout told me this news story. So not a bad deal $40 for 2 years worth of protection, I just hope the Geek Squad doesn't trip and is cool with me if/when I mod it with some firmware and install a stronger 12v fan.
    I been checking out some aesthetic mods aswell some of these look pretty cool.

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/20...360-case-mods/

There goes your warranty...

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    yeah you cant mod it dude if it does break they send you a refurbished one.... asumming it hasnt been moded.

Thread Information