GORILA-UNIT is offline Member

Who trades stocks here?

Just wondering which one of u boys or girls trade stocks. im kind of new into investing and could use wathever usefull investment gurus could provide me with. thanx

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GORILA-UNIT View Post
    Just wondering which one of u boys or girls trade stocks. im kind of new into investing and could use wathever usefull investment gurus could provide me with. thanx
    dont trade stocks right now ... unless you have money you dont need... every thing is very volitile... but if you must look at a company called kv pharm, they trade in japan, and they were just crushed in the us with a dirty plant that manufactures vitms, thing is they have every thing fixed and ousted the right people... second thing is they are coming out with a new drug that will help stop the epodemic(sp) of early birth babies... docs have been screaming for this product and no one has been brave enough to put it out there, -note- the product has been compunded for years with nothing but near perfect results... the stock about 12 months ago was 18 bucks and now trades around $2.50 expect for it to rebound to about 10 bucks in the next 6 months... and i am just guessing at this so dont take my info go get some one smart to back up what i am saying then invest if they say so... good luck

seriousmass is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by amcon View Post
    dont trade stocks right now ... unless you have money you dont need... every thing is very volitile... but if you must look at a company called kv pharm, they trade in japan, and they were just crushed in the us with a dirty plant that manufactures vitms, thing is they have every thing fixed and ousted the right people... second thing is they are coming out with a new drug that will help stop the epodemic(sp) of early birth babies... docs have been screaming for this product and no one has been brave enough to put it out there, -note- the product has been compunded for years with nothing but near perfect results... the stock about 12 months ago was 18 bucks and now trades around $2.50 expect for it to rebound to about 10 bucks in the next 6 months... and i am just guessing at this so dont take my info go get some one smart to back up what i am saying then invest if they say so... good luck
    The key word there being "[if] you have money you don't need." Right now is a perfect time to invest in the market. IF you're smart about it. Because of the economic crisis right now if you invest properly, you can make enormous gains in short term & long term. Look for companies that have suffered from the economic crisis, but that will not go bankrupt, if you invest in their stocks while they're low, you can make significant gains, once the market stabilizes. Moreover, investing in alternative energy companies is probably one of the SMARTEST ideas someone with disposable income could do right now. Research wind-power, and geo-thermal companies.

I'm a currently an economics major, and I also invest in the stock market.

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmass View Post
    The key word there being "[if] you have money you don't need." Right now is a perfect time to invest in the market. IF you're smart about it. Because of the economic crisis right now if you invest properly, you can make enormous gains in short term & long term. Look for companies that have suffered from the economic crisis, but that will not go bankrupt, if you invest in their stocks while they're low, you can make significant gains, once the market stabilizes. Moreover, investing in alternative energy companies is probably one of the SMARTEST ideas someone with disposable income could do right now. Research wind-power, and geo-thermal companies.

I'm a currently an economics major, and I also invest in the stock market.
    sorry for this but ... go back to your books and read the part where it says "when making enormous gains...watch out for enormous losses"

second - if you invest properly???? how do you do that? do you have a time machine? and to add to that statement in contrast to investing improperly???

thirdly - more over, if you invest in a stocks while they are low... why are they low? do you sit on the board that will make them high??? nobody knows the next steps in any market... trend yes... what are the trends now? upward growth or great losses - so, ask you economics teacher how his portfoilio is doing - and when he says great!! ask him the stocks he has invested in ... watch him studder and stammer - nothing is a sure bet right now... but you can bank on the safe bet of loss right now (please dont say if you buy know and wait for 20 years it will be worth something, i have lost too much money at this point to hear that again)

billions have been lost with "smartest ideas", as for green companies they have a great out look IF THE PEOPLE WHO HAD MONEY TO INVEST IN THEM WERNT SO CRUSHED IN THE OTHER AREAS OF THEIR STOCK PROTFOILIOS... THEIR IS LIMITED POTENTIAL HERE DUE TO THE FACT WE DONT KNOW THE DIRECTIONS OF OUR GOV. AND LAWS THAT MAYBE MADE TO MAKE GOV.MENTAL MONIES FROM THE SAME INDUSTRIES...

back to what i said, find some one who is a pro (not me on this matter) and remember, 80% of the people who get their degree dont use it... good luck !!!!
    Last edited by amcon; 01-20-2009 at 01:50 AM.

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    A wise man once said, "Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful".

I'm with serious mass on this one. In the short term, the market is irrational.... in the long term, it's rational. Another wise man said that. You want some tips? I have three for you:

DDM, HIG, and read. Do your research and decide for yourself how you want to invest.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...2437954&sr=8-1

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    both of you have good points, yes the market is terrible right now and portfolios are getting crushed, my mom has lost almost 7 figures over the last year alone because of this, but the important thing is that if you have money invested now, keep it in, and if you don't, don't get a portfolio through a firm, do it on your own.

if you understand the trends, the rises and falls, and what is on the rise, you could make tons of money. the key then is to find a stock that will go up, take a risk on it (size is up to you) then when it hits a nice high, look back at it and decide are you happy with what its made you, or do you think it will keep rising, because no one can really tell except insider traders. you do stand to risk it falling lower than you started, but even a few points on a nice principal will be better than most firms can do even in good times.

on a side note, on of my dads friends from college (MIT) lives out in chicago and married into wealth, so he can risk it, but he trades for himself and says be prepared to lose $10,000 in a day but to make it back the next. its definitely a market that takes money to make money because i could invest $100 and only make $10 more, or i could lose it all, so you really need disposable money if you plan on high risk stocks.

since i've rambled on enough, start small if you aren't ready to make a serious investment. also, i'm not involved in this yet, but i would like to become an investment banker, and from my parents and other things i've learned a fair amount. last thing, if you've never seen it, watch the movie Wall Street. very good movie

sorry for this but ... go back to your books and read the part where it says "when making enormous gains...watch out for enormous losses"

second - if you invest properly???? how do you do that? do you have a time machine? and to add to that statement in contrast to investing improperly???

thirdly - more over, if you invest in a stocks while they are low... why are they low? do you sit on the board that will make them high??? nobody knows the next steps in any market... trend yes... what are the trends now? upward growth or great losses - so, ask you economics teacher how his portfoilio is doing - and when he says great!! ask him the stocks he has invested in ... watch him studder and stammer - nothing is a sure bet right now... but you can bank on the safe bet of loss right now (please dont say if you buy know and wait for 20 years it will be worth something, i have lost too much money at this point to hear that again)

billions have been lost with "smartest ideas", as for green companies they have a great out look IF THE PEOPLE WHO HAD MONEY TO INVEST IN THEM WERNT SO CRUSHED IN THE OTHER AREAS OF THEIR STOCK PROTFOILIOS... THEIR IS LIMITED POTENTIAL HERE DUE TO THE FACT WE DONT KNOW THE DIRECTIONS OF OUR GOV. AND LAWS THAT MAYBE MADE TO MAKE GOV.MENTAL MONIES FROM THE SAME INDUSTRIES...

back to what i said, find some one who is a pro (not me on this matter) and remember, 80% of the people who get their degree dont use it... good luck !!!!
    Honestly man, wtf is your problem. That is the most fvcking attitude I've ever seen over an investment question. Are you trying to be a motivational speaker or something? And I don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about regarding "trends." We do know EXACTLY where the government is going in terms of alternative energy. Look it up moron, Obama has already outlined 3 major alternative-energy sources that they US is going to invest in, AS A NATION. If you aren't retarded, you can figure out which companies are probably going to be involved in that growth of alternative energy and invest in them

But hell what do I know. I'm just a dumb student hey?!

remember he said stocks... not m-funds... t-own's right with the idea that if your in stay in... even invest more where you already are... but stay with coke or pepsi,

wanna gamble go with an ariline or ford or GM ... but be ready to loose it or double it

as for movies - watch "boiler room" that is more accurate on what people do with your money and tips on stocks...

t-own have you seen that movie?

Honestly man, wtf is your problem. That is the most fvcking attitude I've ever seen over an investment question. Are you trying to be a motivational speaker or something? And I don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about regarding "trends." We do know EXACTLY where the government is going in terms of alternative energy. Look it up moron, Obama has already outlined 3 major alternative-energy sources that they US is going to invest in, AS A NATION. If you aren't retarded, you can figure out which companies are probably going to be involved in that growth of alternative energy and invest in them

Lol.... Know how I know you're Canadian????? You ended a sentence with hey. Don't get so bent out of shape, its allllll goood. Lets keep it civil, hey?

Buy HIG and DDM. Do it NOW!

it is true that you can follow trends, thats why knowing math can help spot them. and i don't mean calc lol. also, you wouldn't really want to invest in something as big as alt energy unless you just want a steady increase, like maybe 3% yearly (which you can get from safer investing, like a CD) all those big name companies that are pioneering are usually bought out very fast so you can't get the dramatic rise in price like you can with other stocks. like take microsoft for example, if you look at yahoo's stock pages and the graph of prices on MS, it will fluctuate by about $3-4, but always comes back up. so if you were to invest at the low point and sell at the highest, you would make money, but only a steady stream

but if you do find something huge, like the next google, you will be a very rich man. it peaked at almost 10x the price it opened at before the decline of the market

remember he said stocks... not m-funds... t-own's right with the idea that if your in stay in... even invest more where you already are... but stay with coke or pepsi,

wanna gamble go with an ariline or ford or GM ... but be ready to loose it or double it

as for movies - watch "boiler room" that is more accurate on what people do with your money and tips on stocks...

t-own have you seen that movie?
    no i haven't seen it, but if you say its good i might look into downloading it. wall street is more about insider trading and how you can become rich if you know how to play the system, although what they do in the movie is illegal, and is the point, you can still do it legally with less gains

This is the most ridiculous part of your argument. Comparing your prior dumb investments, to investing CURRENTLY.

"if you invest in a stocks while they are low... why are they low? do you sit on the board that will make them high" - this is absolutely retarded. Straight up, I hope to GOD you aren't some wanna-be "investment broker" or something. Your advice is so ridiculously absurd & pessimist. You obviously have no clue how to invest in a highly volatile market.. maybe you should dust off some econ books there buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    Lol.... Know how I know you're Canadian????? You ended a sentence with hey. Don't get so bent out of shape, its allllll goood. Lets keep it civil, hey?

Buy HIG and DDM. Do it NOW!
    LOL. everyone on this website says that to me. At least I don't say "eh"...

Sorry. I got kinda strung out there. That just really annoyed me. Anyways I'm out. Peacee.

very much agreed to the last statement...

- problem = your giving advise based on not enough info... plus your just a student

- i am a motivational speaker, and get paid good money for doing so... i have made tons of money over my life from having "that" attitude here is more of it (with a smile of coarse) ---) (--- you ideas = empty... he he he i think i am so funny

- no clue on trends then dont answer the guy question - the STOCK - market is all trends

- obama also said we were pulling out of the middle east ... oops ... he really didnt mean that, and with fuel being sooooo low (cost), their is less presure to make that happen, yet, if EVERY one is sooo sure about what is going to happen why hasnt every one put their money in that company????? guess that is that for you answer

- an "out-line" does not equal action, we as a country have no idea what will happen with green power or any other fuel resources, (a little advise here, dont believe people in gov trying to get elected)

- as for retarded =ing ---) "relatively slow in mental or emotional or physical development" i think i am rather witty

so sorry i got your feather is such a ruffle but "what do you know your just a student" ---) sorry that wasnt nice, here i really mean this

dude lighten up - too much coffee tonight?
    Last edited by amcon; 01-20-2009 at 02:17 AM.

Lol...... Relax. Seriousmass makes some good points, so do you.... lets not get into a pissing contest on the internet....... CUZ I'LL WIN!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by T_Own View Post
    no i haven't seen it, but if you say its good i might look into downloading it. wall street is more about insider trading and how you can become rich if you know how to play the system, although what they do in the movie is illegal, and is the point, you can still do it legally with less gains
    that movie is real cool... harsh but fits in todays misfit ceo's

and t-own i am absolutly(sp) stunned on your knowledge and how well you articulate it!!!!! i have a new respect for you (clap clap clap)

keep it up bro!!

i'm just mad he beat me to those cool smiles (darn it), maybe i am retarded!??!?!?! next time i going to type faster than him!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm just mad he beat me to those cool smiles (darn it), maybe i am retarded!??!?!?! next time i going to type faster than him!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now THERE'S a goal!

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    Now THERE'S a goal!
    lol what? lol - im lost with that post - now i really think i have a problem... damn young kids are allway confusing me!!!! lol

that movie is real cool... harsh but fits in todays misfit ceo's

and t-own i am absolutly(sp) stunned on your knowledge and how well you articulate it!!!!! i have a new respect for you (clap clap clap)

keep it up bro!!
    haha well thanks, now i just have to be able to make a career out of it

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    I have a holographic charizard pokemon card for trade. pm me if interested.

run_n_fool is offline Associate Member
    Want to know how to make a small fortune trading stocks? Start with a large fortune.

In my experience, trading stocks with any success is a very difficult proposition (buy/sell frequently), because you are taking a semi-educated guess as to how the price will move.

Investing is stocks is a bit easier (buy/hold), but still difficult due to issues of diversification and expenses.

It is hard to have a diverse portfolio without a significant amount of capital. Let's say you use an Ameritrade account that charges $7 per transaction, and you have $2,000 to invest. Let's say you want to buy 10 different companies b/c you feel that will provide adequate diversification. You then go ahead and buy $200 of each company, and pay $7 per trade on the buy. When it comes time to sell you will also be charged $7 for the sale. That means you just paid 7% for the opportunity to buy and sell the stock, which means the price needs to go up by over 7% to even make a penny on the transaction. What if you decide you don't need 10 stocks? Maybe you want to own Apple computer, which is arguably one of the best companies in the world. Well, if you bought them last year at this time, your holdings would be worth 40-50% of what they were worth last year, even though they surpassed earnings expectations for every quarter this year, their cost situation has improved, and very little has changed in their fundamentals.

My advice is to read voraciously, and do some trading simulations. Study stocks you think are winners and watch what they do and how they trade. If they lose value, try to figure out why and what you missed that would have tipped you off in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by run_n_fool View Post
    Want to know how to make a small fortune trading stocks? Start with a large fortune.

In my experience, trading stocks with any success is a very difficult proposition (buy/sell frequently), because you are taking a semi-educated guess as to how the price will move.

Investing is stocks is a bit easier (buy/hold), but still difficult due to issues of diversification and expenses.

It is hard to have a diverse portfolio without a significant amount of capital. Let's say you use an Ameritrade account that charges $7 per transaction, and you have $2,000 to invest. Let's say you want to buy 10 different companies b/c you feel that will provide adequate diversification. You then go ahead and buy $200 of each company, and pay $7 per trade on the buy. When it comes time to sell you will also be charged $7 for the sale. That means you just paid 7% for the opportunity to buy and sell the stock, which means the price needs to go up by over 7% to even make a penny on the transaction. What if you decide you don't need 10 stocks? Maybe you want to own Apple computer, which is arguably one of the best companies in the world. Well, if you bought them last year at this time, your holdings would be worth 40-50% of what they were worth last year, even though they surpassed earnings expectations for every quarter this year, their cost situation has improved, and very little has changed in their fundamentals.

My advice is to read voraciously, and do some trading simulations. Study stocks you think are winners and watch what they do and how they trade. If they lose value, try to figure out why and what you missed that would have tipped you off in advance.
    yep, or pay some guy to do it for you... ask t-own

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    buy high, sell low

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    ^^^^^ beat me to it..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    when Warren Buffet gives a call to buy xyz.. put your buy order in 1st..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

suprman09 is offline Associate Member
    I just started investing recently. Put in 5k was up to about 7k and now I am probably down to 4k all in about a month. I hold about 5 stocks and 5 ETFs. I believe that everything is at a discount now and eventually the market will rebound but who knows. Anyone have any advice on some alternative energy stocks or ETFs?

Edgar is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    when Warren Buffet gives a call to buy xyz.. put your buy order in 1st..
    Warren Buffet is as full of shit as they come, when he says yes it is a good buy he is getting out on the chumps. look for a potential short sell in the near future as the stock changes from strong hands to weak hands. I would be very bearish and would be looking for short sells on 52 week charts head and shoulders also broken cup and handle. remember price directions usually always changes on high trading volume day. (a climax) IMO fundementals are not necessary on short sales you will be told the reasons why later but you will have missed out on the short sale, remember charts dont lie. they state the facts of price range and trading volume. companies in trouble cant lie on a chart. look at price behaviour on high volume days. It tells all.

GORILA-UNIT is offline Member
    i still haven't find anyone that trades stock for living here, im not looking for speculations as theres a whole world of it on the internet right now. Im looking to c if any of the experienced bros have any good suggestions thanx

Dinosaur is offline Member
    i did about 2 yrs ago. but it would be a long time for to get back into it any soon.

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    I swing trade stocks and only take positions a week before earnings are released.

Been doing this with AAPL and GOOG for years now and made tons of money playing different types of option chains.

Easiest thing to remember: Buy the rumor, sell the news.

Lots of volatility and lots of money to be made without holding onto any stocks for more tahn a few days. Plus, you'll sleep much easier at night as well and not obsess with it.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Invest in a good education, and then when you know what you're doing, specialize in one or two sectors, and then invest in what you know.

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GORILA-UNIT View Post
    I'm not a motivational speaker, but I am in the biz for what its worth...

First, clarify your question...Sounds like you want to TRADE, not INVEST; and these are drastically different things. This is a GREAT market to TRADE in becuase of the volatility.

If you just want to play the charts and "ride the waves" so to speak, then pick a few names (like GOOG, AAPL, POT, etc as daem mentioned). These trades have nothing to do with the fundamentals, but rather just big daily price movements.

Secondly, learn how to read a chart. Go to investopedia.com, CBOE.com (I'm sure there are others) and learn what a simple moving avergage is. Start there, and start learning. Use CBOE (or some other site that has virtual trading) and play with your strategies.

This is play money...not investing money.

And then, trade options and get your face ripped off twice as fast!

RangersLTW is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    I got stock in walmart and yahoo.......failure
    got a thousand shares in walmart.....now its 40 something....should have sold last year when it hit 65.....I would have made jack but the taxs want be as bad this year
    Oh and don't ask about yahoo

hunter7 is offline Junior Member
    theres no doubt that managing your money is the best solution, HOWEVER, unless you have a good understanding of markets, corporate finance and accounting etc. I would strongly suggest getting an advisor and dollar cost averaging into a small mix of mutual funds. I'm a graduating economics major and this year alone I traded $82,000 of stock according to my tax form and I had damn near a zero percent return(beats my mutual fund thats down -40%). Ive also read many books on stocks, technical analysis and trading strategies. Also, if your employed see if your employer matches a percentage of your 401K, then contribute an equal amount, while still contributing to a roth ira.

If your intent on investing in stocks dont be fooled by penny stocks and comapnies with weak earnings. In a recession stick with companies with proven long term earnings power and dividens think ( GE, WMT, JNJ, KO, AAPL, RIMM, Pfizer) Speculative stocks are the worst in poor economic times. Hope this helps someone. Another strategy is municipal bonds that you can get around 4-6% yield tax-free.

RangersLTW is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    I would say try what you can afford......if you can leave it in do it......taking it out before three years hurts

J431S is offline Banned
    Go for mutual fund dude. They are better than investing in individual stocks. Plus mutual fund allows you to spread your money on a variety of stocks so when few stocks goes down, others will most likely go up. It is the perfect way to minimize your risk in this volatile market. Diversified baby!!

Thread Information