BuffedGuy is offline Senior Member

Anglicizing name in professional workplace to increase job prospects?

I was reading an interview of the Indian-American actor Kal Penn, who was in "Harold and Kumar", 24, and now in House.

Kal Penn is not his real name. It's an anglicized version of his birth name, Kalpen Suresh Modi. He says that as soon as he anglicized his name, his "call backs" from employers jumped 50%.

I wanted to get input from people here: if you were an employer, would you rather hire someone with an anglicized name that is easy to pronounce? How much of a factor would it play in your decision?

Also, if you were in the work place, how would a person having a difficult name to pronounce affect your relationship with said person? Would you avoid them in the halls, because you couldn't remember his name or how the heck to pronounce it?

My name is pretty hard to pronounce for white people, and they only get it right after constant correction for a few days. I am thinking of just anglicizing it in the workplace to spare them the trouble and me of hearing my name being butchered.

The only con I can see is that *some* people of my own race/religion might consider it "sell-out". After all, Barak Hussain Obama is president...he had changed his name to Barry early in life but changed it back just because of the sell-out issue I think. Having said that, I'd only be changing my name in the work place, not with my friends.

Thoughts?

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    It wouldn't matter to me, but I know it matters to some. One of my friends of middle eastern descent was applying at a job and the name ******* is not what what the employer was looking for (a police department- go figure). His friend who worked there already had to talk to the boss so that his app wasn't immediately tossed.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnstHatAngst View Post
    It wouldn't matter to me, but I know it matters to some. One of my friends of middle eastern descent was applying at a job and the name ******* is not what what the employer was looking for (a police department- go figure). His friend who worked there already had to talk to the boss so that his app wasn't immediately tossed.
    Thanks for the input.

Well, here's the thing: I don't want to change my name to hide the fact that I'm Muslim. In fact, I would really consider that sell-out myself. So if someone discriminated against me because I'm Muslim, then I wouldn't want to change my name to circumvent that.

I'm just talking about names that might be difficult to pronounce. So let's say an Indian Hindu guy with a very long name...

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    ///////
    Last edited by *RAGE*; 03-02-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Perhaps if you are that worried you could include a nickname in quotation marks in your application and have an answering machine message reflecting that name at the number given on your app. This compromise will give people the option of calling you that easier-for-them name and not hide your identity.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnstHatAngst View Post
    Perhaps if you are that worried you could include a nickname in quotation marks in your application and have an answering machine message reflecting that name at the number given on your app. This compromise will give people the option of calling you that easier-for-them name and not hide your identity.
    My mom gave me that idea too. I think you're right: that seems to be the best option. It will also save me the huge hassle of making a legal name change.

Thanks for your input, both you and Prone.

I think that's what I'll do...

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    The name isnt really an issue. The only thing that bothers me is having to struggle with someone to understand them. The problem is greatest when trying to communicate with Asian or Indian doctors in the hospital. They should not be here practicing medicine if they cant speak proficient enough English to communicate and to be understood by the patient/customer they're counseling.

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    The name isnt really an issue. The only thing that bothers me is having to struggle with someone to understand them. The problem is greatest when trying to communicate with Asian or Indian doctors in the hospital. They should not be here practicing medicine if they cant speak proficient enough English to communicate and to be understood by the patient/customer they're counseling.
    i don't face that daily, but it is very annoying after a while.

i don't think the name is that big of a problem. if anything, its just as much a stereotype that asians and indians are all smart and should be doctors. so to some, it might make them want you more if you have an easier name, but to others, they might think the name plays well. i would say equally ignorant in either case

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Don't you have some sort of nick-name? When I was a teenager, everyone had nick names. A lot of people still use them today in our adult years. I would just use a nick name if people really had trouble pronouncing my given name.

But even so...it's just a name...who cares. I'd also question Kal Penn's accuracy in his statement that call-backs jumped 50% when he changed his name. Hollywood is liberal as fk and I don't see them being turned off by an Indian or Asian name, if for no other reason than to not seem racist.

Plus, we all know how actors like to whine about dumb shit to get attention.

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    some of my family members did. always a good idea if you want to minimize risk of discrimination.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    x2...

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    X3, Its worse when i phone a call center, if i hear the words " what is u wanting" i hang up...

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD MATT View Post
    X3, Its worse when i phone a call center, if i hear the words " what is u wanting" i hang up...
    If I have a problem with my computer, they connect me to some guy in India.
    It is the most frustrating thing ever...I mean, they try to help, but I usually end up hanging up on the guy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    If I have a problem with my computer, they connect me to some guy in India.
    It is the most frustrating thing ever...I mean, they try to help, but I usually end up hanging up on the guy.
    Thats what im saying lol, most of our help lines are now in India. But its worse when i phone a sex line and i cant understand what the chick is saying, it can cost a fortune...

I agree. It can get frustrating, especially since they oftentimes don't understand the essence of what is being said.

But I don't think the fault is theirs. It's the fault of those who hired them.

Voland is offline Celtiberian Pagan Whoremachine Leader
    what if your name can't be anglicanized?
    I would like to change my name and get rid of my fathers surename, i just hate it and hate my father too. You guys are lucky you can.

higherdesire is offline Banned
    I have a friend and coworker whose given name is Marcos and goes by Mark. My chiropractors name is brychansky and goes by Dr. B. I would say that it has never crossed my mind that they are sell outs at all. Only that it was what they decided to be called. I do however have some people in my life that corrects everyone everytime on how to say thier name it I don't like to be around them if for no other reason than they make me feel like an idiot for not having a dialect other than my own. Good luck on your decision Buffed.

Racism is unacceptable... However it would be naive to say that cultural standards or current society norms never play a part in peoples decision-making process in regards to others.

There is much debate amongst the origins of prejudice. But its a fact of life, and some choose to attempt to "fit-in" in order to further themselves up the social ladder. IMHO theres nothing wrong with it, and so long as we all know where we can from and remain confident in our ability, these seemingly petty issues, in the big picture, mean nothing.

Lest you forget, Buffed, during the great migrational boom experienced by the US around the turn of the century (beginning of the 1900's) it was not only "foreign" people (middle eastern, asian, afro-american) to attempt to alter their names but also this "white" people category you are referring to. Germans, Irish, Scots, Francs, Poles, all "white" people, yet countless have anglicized their names in an effort to "blend in" into society, or give themselves an advantage in business, politics, and entertainment.

auf w.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust80; 03-02-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfaust80 View Post
    but also this "white" people category you are referring to. Germans, Irish, Scots, Francs, Poles, all "white" people, yet countless have anglicized their names in an effort to "blend in" into society, or give themselves an advantage in business, politics, and entertainment.
    Good point. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffedGuy View Post
    Good point. Thanks.
    yeah thanks... now thats more like it, Buffed.. We can all co-exist, happily and peacefully... at least in the AR Lounge.

Maybe if the Middle East had a Arabic-Israeli version of the AR-Lounge the world would be a better place...

Oh BTW you should be pleased to know the US will be donating 900$ milion to Palestine (essentially Hamas since they are the dominating political party in the region) for rebuilding efforts, caused by the Israeli bombing I suspect.

More and more my views seem to be switching towards a more radical Isolationist/non-interventionist policy, the likes of which reminenscent of pre-WWI type atmosphere. But then I wonder, since undeniably these policies, by doing nothing, allowed the war to progress to unimaginable destructiveness and loss of life. Then, I think to myself, global stabilizaion and cohesiveness is a necessity, not just for the US but for the world. Therefore intn'l bodies such as the UN perhaps at times have good intentions yet the desired result isnt achieved. So I am confused in essence. lol. However, what you'll be pleased to know is that I have mixed feelings in regards to Zionism.. Why Israel was chosen for the Jewish homeland amongst so much surrounding turmoil is a mystery to me. The Palestinian exodus from their homeland brought on by the Zionist movement has been despicable..Thousands and thousands of Arabs forced to leave their multi-generational homes to make room the new occupiers. Not fair in my book. I see why they want the foreign invaders out of their country, however, violence isn't the path to liberation. It's done thru diplomacy, treaties, and the establishment of a non-terrorist, legitimate and internationally recognized non-radical Arab political party.

What are your feelings in regards to the aforementioned policies, Buffed, when viewing them from a completely religious-neutral POV? (point of view)
    Last edited by Panzerfaust80; 03-02-2009 at 06:02 PM.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I say do what you have to do to survive. If it is a big deal, then don't do it. If you feel it will help you, then by all means do it.

Many people and cultures do it all the time...even as a necessity. Look at most Asians, they all have to change the name... they call it their english/american name... some pick one that resemble, while others pick any. It is not that big a deal if you are living and surviving in an english land...

I guess if you are from here and you were given a foreign name, it can be different or difficult to change... maybe it will cause you to feel that you are changing your identity... most don't feel that way at all. as others stated... it is a nickname/or middle name.

I had a Koren client I once represented, his first name was Hieu, but he went by the name "Peter". Once we got into conversation, he explained to me he only used "Peter" because people had a difficult time pronouncing his Korean name, Hieu (pronounce HEE-you), and he thought nothing of it.

From that point on, I found to earn his trust and respect and a future client, always made it a point to refer to him as his Korean name and pronounce it correctly, simply out of respect, to show him that I respect where he comes, and I don't mind paying attention to detail, even if its portrayed in such a simple concept.

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    you will have a lot of people clicking into this thread just to see what anglicizing means..
    or im the only idiot

Blog Entries
    ^^ no lol, and i still havnt a clue what it means, something to do with changing your name...

In Lehmans terms just means changing a foreign, hard-to-pronounce name to a more "American" name... For instance, German name Wilhem would be William, Spanish name Juan would be John, Common Russian name Mikhail would be "anglicized" to Michael, etc etc...

Anglo refers mainly to England... Due to England's former world influence/dominance Anglicized names are quite common nowadays, all over the map.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust80; 03-02-2009 at 07:18 PM.

Thread Information