dedic8ed1 is offline Banned

Anyone have any personal experience with graves disease?

My girlfriend has had it since she was 16 now she's 23 and decided to do the radiation treatment.Its been 9 days and today was the worst day of the symptoms from the radiation pill.She's extremely tired,depressed and today she was on the toilet for an hour.Doctors said her follow up visit is in 6 weeks at which point they run her blood to see if the thyroid is gone and they'll try to balance her out with thyroid hormones,I'm guessing T3 or T4 maybe, for the rest of her life,which I'm told is the standard procedure for this condition.If these doctors don't like what they see they said she'll have to take the radiation pill again.This is one of those girls who is selfless and caring on a level that just makes you question why such bad things happen to such good people.I'm really upset and sick about how helpless I'm feeling cause all I can do is hold her and reinforce her decision to do the procedure with confidence that she needed to do it to be healthier and happier.Help please.

bump

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    I'm sorry to hear bro.... I hope things work out for the best. I really don't know what to say... Good luck.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    editttttttttt
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 03-07-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    tough call, goodluck with everything.

Apology accepted
    Last edited by dedic8ed1; 03-08-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juicy_brucy View Post
    I'm sorry to hear bro.... I hope things work out for the best. I really don't know what to say... Good luck.
    Thanks JB.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Lol ive just read this, my thoughts go out to you and your girlfriend....

BIG_TRUCK is offline Member
    lol DSM that is cold.

Dedicated, I remember some natural lifter younger kid posting in the members picture section awhile back. I think he has that disease, and takes thyroid meds.... But I wouldn't look for much help on here.

Your best bet is researching else where.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear this man,

It is much easier to control the symptoms of hypothyroidism than hyperthyroidism (graves diseases) that is why they are obliterating the thyroid with radioactive iodine therapy. It is extreme and in some cases is really the only solution. Its going to suck for awhile for her but eventually once they therapy has ran its course she will have a much better quality of life relative to that than if she continued with Graves.

One thing to remember for her is this is for life and she needs close and careful monitoring of her thyroid medications from here on out. I have a couple former clients that went through this same thing and a close personal friend that suffered from Graves for years.

Good Luck to her.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dedic8ed1 View Post
    Real mature u fukin bone smuggling prick.Wasnt expecting something so immature from a queer I thought u people were jolly and gay.

Thought this was just a general thyroid problem that many people live with everyday. I still kinda think it is. (reading wikipedia)

If its not, no harm meant. pic edited. I apologize.
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 03-07-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post

Thought this was just a general thyroid problem that many people live with everyday. I still kinda think it is. (reading wikipedia)

If its not, no harm meant. pic edited. I apologize.
    Graves can be a very big deal, especially the earlier its onset.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Graves can be a very big deal, especially the earlier its onset.
    I am reading more on it now and understand it can be.

again sorry to D , im sure you know im that much of a D-bag.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I am reading more on it now and understand it can be.

again sorry to D , im sure you know im that much of a D-bag.
    I think you just hit a nerve, D is a good bro. I am sure you guys will work it out.

BuffedGuy is offline Senior Member
    Peace be unto you, Dedic.

First, I am sorry to hear about your girlfriend's very difficult situation.

Second, they will not prescribe her T3 ever. T3 is almost never used. T4 is much more stable.

Third, T4 will only be given if she develops hypothyroid. Many patients will simply become euthyroid after the therapy, and therefore she might not require T4 at all. However, if she does, then she will be prescribed T4.

Fourth, it will only get better from here on out, God-Willing. She is on the road to recovery, and she will get better, God-Willing. God says:
    "Verily, with hardship follows relief." (Quran, 94:5)
    Fifth, with regards to why she was given this disease, know that Prophet Muhammad [s] said:
    “By the One in Whose Hand is my soul (God Almighty), no believer is stricken with fatigue, exhaustion, worry, or grief, but God will forgive him for some of his sins thereby—even a thorn which pricks him.” (Musnad Ahmad)
    God says in the Quran:
    “Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, ‘We believe’, and that they will not be put to the test? And certainly We tested those before them, so that God will differentiate those who are true from those who are false.” (Quran 29:2-3)

"We shall certainly test you, until We know those of you who strive their utmost (for God) and who are the steadfast; and We shall test your reported mettle.” (Quran 47:31)

“Or do you expect to enter Paradise without facing such trials as did those before you?” (Quran 2:214)

“We will surely test you with something of fear and huger, and the loss of wealth and lives and the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere, who say—when afflicted with calamity—'To God We belong, and to Him we shall return!' They are on those whom descend blessings from their Lord, and Mercy. Such are the rightly guided.” (Quran 2:155-157)

“You shall certainly be tried and tested in your possessions and in your lives; and you shall certainly hear much that will grieve you…But...patiently persevere and be pious!” (Quran 3:186)

“And none shall be granted such goodness, except those who are steadfast.” (Quran 41:35)

“And it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. God knows and you do not know.” (Quran 2:216)

Prophet Muhammad [s] said:
    "The greatest reward comes with the greatest trial. When God loves a people, He tests them. Whoever accepts this, wins His Pleasure.” (Al-Tirmidhi)

“Paradise is surrounded with difficulties (i.e. in this worldly life)…”

“Trials will continue to befall the believing man and woman—with regard to themselves, their children, and their wealth—until they meet God with no sin on them.” (Al-Tirmidhi)

“On the Day of Resurrection, people will wish that their skins had been cut with scissors in this world, when they see the reward of those who were struck with calamity (in this worldly life, and who were patient).” (Al-Tirmidhi)

“How wonderful is the affair of the believer, for his affairs are all good, and this applies to no one but the believer. If something good happens to him, he is thankful for it and that is good for him. If something bad happens to him, he bears it with patience and that is good for him.” (Sahih Muslim)

God says:
    “We shower Our Mercy upon whomever We will, and We never fail to recompense the righteous. Additionally, the reward in the Hereafter is even better for those who believe and lead a righteous life.” (Quran 12:56-57)
    God reassures His creation:
    “By the Glorious Morning Light, and by the Night when it is still! The Guardian-Lord has not forsaken you nor does He hate you. And verily the Hereafter will be better for you than the present. And soon will your Guardian-Lord give you that wherewith you shall be well-pleased.” (Quran 93:1-5)
    I'm not here to shove my religion down your throat, only to make you feel better. The quotes I have posted above are universal in application, and could apply to even a Christian or whatever religion you belong to, so long as you believe in God Almighty. Know that everything that happens is from the Wisdom of God, and the believers submit to His Will with patient perseverance.

Peace.
    Last edited by BuffedGuy; 03-07-2009 at 05:14 PM.

moregunsthanroses is offline Associate Member
    sorry to hear bro. I don't have graves disease but I'm suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome which has similar smyptoms. At times it's surreal the intense fatigue and health problems which seem to have a grip on your life.

You're right sometimes bad things happen to very good people it just doesn't make sense. There are people who do horrible thing, have no concience yet they're out there happy and healthy enjoying every moment of life.

Most healthy individuals don't appreciate their good health, although you can't really blame them they dont know what it's like to suffer chronically

One thing that bothers me is that I have post exertional fatigue which means the severe fatigue is worsened 24 hours after a good session in the gym.

It can be real rough at times just comfort here and support her as much as possible in her time of need. Try to keep a positive beat on her feeling better as treatment progress and she should be able to get her life back. I Know personally when you feel extremely drained it can be hard to stay be as welcoming to someone who is postive because they aren't experiencing the pain that you are.

Goodluck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffedGuy View Post
    Peace be unto you, Dedic.

First, I am sorry to hear about your girlfriend's very difficult situation.

Second, they will not prescribe her T3 ever. T3 is almost never used. T4 is much more stable.

Third, T4 will only be given if she develops hypothyroid. Many patients will simply become euthyroid after the therapy, and therefore she might not require T4 at all. However, if she does, then she will be prescribed T4.

Fourth, it will only get better from here on out, God-Willing. She is on the road to recovery, and she will get better, God-Willing. God says:
    "Verily, with hardship follows relief." (Quran, 94:5)
    Fifth, with regards to why she was given this disease, know that Prophet Muhammad [s] said:
    “By the One in Whose Hand is my soul (God Almighty), no believer is stricken with fatigue, exhaustion, worry, or grief, but God will forgive him for some of his sins thereby—even a thorn which pricks him.” (Musnad Ahmad)
    God says in the Quran:
    “Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, ‘We believe’, and that they will not be put to the test? And certainly We tested those before them, so that God will differentiate those who are true from those who are false.” (Quran 29:2-3)

"We shall certainly test you, until We know those of you who strive their utmost (for God) and who are the steadfast; and We shall test your reported mettle.” (Quran 47:31)

“Or do you expect to enter Paradise without facing such trials as did those before you?” (Quran 2:214)

“We will surely test you with something of fear and huger, and the loss of wealth and lives and the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere, who say—when afflicted with calamity—'To God We belong, and to Him we shall return!' They are on those whom descend blessings from their Lord, and Mercy. Such are the rightly guided.” (Quran 2:155-157)

“You shall certainly be tried and tested in your possessions and in your lives; and you shall certainly hear much that will grieve you…But...patiently persevere and be pious!” (Quran 3:186)

“And none shall be granted such goodness, except those who are steadfast.” (Quran 41:35)

“And it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. God knows and you do not know.” (Quran 2:216)

Prophet Muhammad [s] said:
    "The greatest reward comes with the greatest trial. When God loves a people, He tests them. Whoever accepts this, wins His Pleasure.” (Al-Tirmidhi)

“Paradise is surrounded with difficulties (i.e. in this worldly life)…”

“Trials will continue to befall the believing man and woman—with regard to themselves, their children, and their wealth—until they meet God with no sin on them.” (Al-Tirmidhi)

“On the Day of Resurrection, people will wish that their skins had been cut with scissors in this world, when they see the reward of those who were struck with calamity (in this worldly life, and who were patient).” (Al-Tirmidhi)

“How wonderful is the affair of the believer, for his affairs are all good, and this applies to no one but the believer. If something good happens to him, he is thankful for it and that is good for him. If something bad happens to him, he bears it with patience and that is good for him.” (Sahih Muslim)

God says:
    “We shower Our Mercy upon whomever We will, and We never fail to recompense the righteous. Additionally, the reward in the Hereafter is even better for those who believe and lead a righteous life.” (Quran 12:56-57)
    God reassures His creation:
    “By the Glorious Morning Light, and by the Night when it is still! The Guardian-Lord has not forsaken you nor does He hate you. And verily the Hereafter will be better for you than the present. And soon will your Guardian-Lord give you that wherewith you shall be well-pleased.” (Quran 93:1-5)
    I'm not here to shove my religion down your throat, only to make you feel better. The quotes I have posted above are universal in application, and could apply to even a Christian or whatever religion you belong to, so long as you believe in God Almighty. Know that everything that happens is from the Wisdom of God, and the believers submit to His Will with patient perseverance.

Peace.
    She will not have a thyroid after therapy, she will be on synthyroid for ever.

She will not have a thyroid after therapy, she will be on synthyroid for ever.
    I thought the same before I did my endocrinology rotation. Don't mean to turn this into a meaningless pissing contest, but:

When the thyroid absorbs radioactive iodine, the radiation kills off thyroid cells, shrinking the number of cells that release T3 and T4 (1). Typically, Iodine 131 (131I) in millicurie (mCi) amounts is used in this procedure (4). There is some criticism of this method, as excess 131I can destroy too much thyroid tissue causing a shift into hypothyroidism (1).

We have researched treatment options, and hypothesize that low dose 131I treatment for people with Graves’ Disease is the most effective way to return normal thyroid function, or euthyroidism
    http://www.lakeforest.edu/images/use...l%20Review.pdf

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    sounds like you gotten so good advised from buffed guy and MS....I dont know much about it except my friends wife had it and was very sick when she was going through the treatment......about six weeks if I remember right she was somewhat back to normal.....now they run and workout everyday together.....i dont think I checked her out much before but now she is hot....

I am sorry for your pain.....believe and pray....tends to help me in everything i deal with good luck..

Indymuscleguy is offline Senior Member
    I thought the same before I did my endocrinology rotation. Don't mean to turn this into a meaningless pissing contest, but:

When the thyroid absorbs radioactive iodine, the radiation kills off thyroid cells, shrinking the number of cells that release T3 and T4 (1). Typically, Iodine 131 (131I) in millicurie (mCi) amounts is used in this procedure (4). There is some criticism of this method, as excess 131I can destroy too much thyroid tissue causing a shift into hypothyroidism (1).

We have researched treatment options, and hypothesize that low dose 131I treatment for people with Graves’ Disease is the most effective way to return normal thyroid function, or euthyroidism
    Great comment. I was diagnosed with Graves disease in 2007. The radioactive iodine that is used to kill the thyroid is somewhat a standard dose for everyone. I asked if I could get a moderate dose so that my T-3 and T-4 weren't shut completely down. The answer is no.

I had the following side effects while the thyroid was dying. Approximately 6 weeks post treatment, I developed a hypokalemic (low K+) incident where I lost all of my Potassium in a 24 hour period. I woke up paralyzed from the waist down. My K+ was 1.6, at levels of 2.0 or less, your heart can stop. Everyone was amazed I wasn't having chest pain and my EKG in the ER looked normal. The symptoms are painful legs, leg cramps, and back pain. However, most people will have chest pain.

The second side effect or related incident is Graves Opthalmia. This is where you develop tissue on the surface of the muscles that control eye movement. You also develop fluid behind the eyes, causing your eye ball pressure to increase and can cause blindness and glaucoma (?spell). I had to have a bi-lateral orbital decompression surgeries to reduce the pressure. I was 50% blind in the left eye and 10% in the right. I gained all my sight back but 10% in the left eye. I will also comment that the nerves that control your eyelids can be an issue. In total I have had 6 plastic surgeries to my eyes. Insurance will pay for the plastic surgeon to perform each procedure.

Contrary to the other post with regard to a physician never prescribing T-3, go to an endocrinologist! I cannot stress this enough. An endocrinologist will measure your T-3, T-4, and the ratio of T-7. 30% of T-4 converts to T-3, as a rule. I am on 175mcg of T4 and 15mcg of T3. I gained 20lbs but once I started the T3 & T4 I lost that in no time~!

Today...I am in good shape, however, be ready for TONS of bloodwork as it's taken me 2 years to get my T3 and T4 regulated.

Other opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Indymuscleguy View Post
    Contrary to the other post with regard to a physician never prescribing T-3, go to an endocrinologist! I cannot stress this enough. An endocrinologist will measure your T-3, T-4, and the ratio of T-7. 30% of T-4 converts to T-3, as a rule. I am on 175mcg of T4 and 15mcg of T3. I gained 20lbs but once I started the T3 & T4 I lost that in no time~!
    Hmmm, that's very interesting. It says in my medical books that they only use T-4. But cool, thanks for the heads up!

Great comment. I was diagnosed with Graves disease in 2007. The radioactive iodine that is used to kill the thyroid is somewhat a standard dose for everyone. I asked if I could get a moderate dose so that my T-3 and T-4 weren't shut completely down. The answer is no.

I had the following side effects while the thyroid was dying. Approximately 6 weeks post treatment, I developed a hypokalemic (low K+) incident where I lost all of my Potassium in a 24 hour period. I woke up paralyzed from the waist down. My K+ was 1.6, at levels of 2.0 or less, your heart can stop. Everyone was amazed I wasn't having chest pain and my EKG in the ER looked normal. The symptoms are painful legs, leg cramps, and back pain. However, most people will have chest pain.

The second side effect or related incident is Graves Opthalmia. This is where you develop tissue on the surface of the muscles that control eye movement. You also develop fluid behind the eyes, causing your eye ball pressure to increase and can cause blindness and glaucoma (?spell). I had to have a bi-lateral orbital decompression surgeries to reduce the pressure. I was 50% blind in the left eye and 10% in the right. I gained all my sight back but 10% in the left eye. I will also comment that the nerves that control your eyelids can be an issue. In total I have had 6 plastic surgeries to my eyes. Insurance will pay for the plastic surgeon to perform each procedure.

Today...I am in good shape, however, be ready for TONS of bloodwork as it's taken me 2 years to get my T3 and T4 regulated.

Other opinions?
    Thank you for this informative experience you've shared man I can't thank you enough.I'm guessing bananas and orange juice should be a staple from here on out just to be safe in regards to potassium?

Thanks to all for the positive feedback very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dedic8ed1 View Post
    Thank you for this informative experience you've shared man I can't thank you enough.I'm guessing bananas and orange juice should be a staple from here on out just to be safe in regards to potassium?
    You'd need to eat the entire bananna tree to get enough K+! Prescription K+ are HUGE pills...HUGE!

Good luck and if there is an endocrinologist on board here...PM me...

You'd need to eat the entire bananna tree to get enough K+! Prescription K+ are HUGE pills...HUGE!
    Just as a caution to the OP: do not self-prescribe potassium meds. Not a good idea at all. I agree with IndyMuscle to just follow the advice of a competent endocrinologist.

Blog Entries

Hmmmm,

Hmmmm,
    I just read it in my Step 2 review book as well:
    Radioactive iodine ablation of the thyroid gland is typically used. Surgery is preferred in pregnant patients. Hypothyroidism may result from either treatment; if so, it is treated with thyroid hormone replacement (for life).

(USMLE Step 2 Secrets, by Dr. Adam Brochert, p.47)

But again, I'm just a student, and it is just a study guide. Shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by buffedguy View Post
    just as a caution to the op: Do not self-prescribe potassium meds. Not a good idea at all. I agree with indymuscle to just follow the advice of a competent endocrinologist.

Do not play with potassium. There is a fine line between life and death depending on your levels.

Do not play with potassium.

*I am not offering medical advice by any means. Look up the dangers of low and high levels of Potassium*
    Last edited by Indymuscleguy; 03-09-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: I am not a doctor, I just play one on TV

Hmmmm,

Oh I hear you. If we could treat Graves disease by re-regulating the thyroid vs. radical surgery or I-131, we would. The expense of doing so and the subjective way of re-regulating as well as little research, our wonderful insurance companies have decided that the gold standard of treatment is all they are willing to cover.

Mind you...the slew of bloodwork that is done to keep your TSH, T-3, T-4, and T-7 monitored would probably save them money in the long run, but they don't see it that way.

*Note, most if not all family practice physicians know very little about thyroid disease. I cannot stress ENOUGH that if you have thyroid disease, an endocrinologist is your best bet to get your disease under control, FASTER.

JMO...

Thread Information