Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who has pits???

Schmidty is offline Test Is Best!

who has pits???

Im new to pits, i got a now4month old male pit named Ivan. in i have quite a few questions about what to do for him.

1)will getn him fixed effect his muscle growth? wouldnt he not produce testosterone anymore and ther for not grow muscle?
    2) Iv done a lot of lookn around the last few wks n i keep readn diff ages to start him at to pull a weight harness, iv even talk to a pit breeder and a few diff friends with pits. iv read 12wks-1.5yrs old to begin the weight training, i dont wana start him to early n hurt him in any way.
    3)What kinda supplements can i give him n how much? When i say supplements i mean just that, i am against getn my god geard out cause its just not fair to them, it would b like given a kid gear... Im askn u guys cause ur all atleast sum what like minded ppl n i want my dog to b huge but healthy to. any tips will do... im also putn chicken in his food to get him more protien and make him eat more.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I have two pits which i normally trim.

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    i heard they eat babies

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Ok, I don't have a pit...I have a Bull Terrier, but the questions you're asking are basic dog questions. So here we go.

1) No it will not effect his muscle growth. I would not advise getting it done before he reaches maturity though. There are some that say doing it too young (before a year) can have harmful effects on behavior.

2)You can get him a harness now, but keep in mind that he's going to grow out of it and you're gonna have to get new ones. If you do decide to get one now then don't have him pulling a lot of weight. I started Sergeant Major (my Bull Terrier) with a gallon of water when he was about 10 months old. It's light enough to not do any damage, but enough to get him used to it. Properly, you shouldn't start adding significant weight until about 14 months.

3) As a puppy and teenager he isn't going to need supplements. You should however look into raw feeding and the BARF diet. I feed Sergeant Major only raw meat (chicken drum sticks, thighs, turkey legs, beef ribs, ox-tails, etc). This requires some research, but yes dogs can eat and safely digest UNCOOKED bones. There are certain bones you cannot feed, even raw. These are bones that are large and weight-bearing on larger animals. However, having a pit-bull you'll be able make some exceptions...such as turkey legs. A lot of people who have dogs that don't have strong jaws can't handle turkey legs...Sergeant Major handles them with no problem and I'm sure your APBT will as well. I also feed him cottage cheese, fresh fruits/vegetables sometimes to go along with his raw meat diet. The thing about most commercial dog foods is that they are loaded with grain. Dogs cannot digest grains!!!! So if you have the time, go raw. Plus it looks cool to see a dog ripping apart raw animal parts.

Good luck!

C-MaN is offline Senior Member
    I got a pit bro. I wouldnt start doing heavy weight training with him til he is 12 months or older.. but go ahead and get him used to the harness... also im a firm believer in feeding your dogs like you eat... if you eat health... mostly chicken with wild grain rice and veggies... if money is of no concern that is.. because trust me it costs a shit load to feed your dog like that.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    how can you say that neutering doesn't effect their growth???????

i'm no expert but what i do know is that we have a rott/mastiff mix at home that has been neutered and he has NO BALLS....just and empty sack...which means no testosterone

Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    Ok, I don't have a pit...I have a Bull Terrier, but the questions you're asking are basic dog questions. So here we go.

1) No it will not effect his muscle growth. I would not advise getting it done before he reaches maturity though. There are some that say doing it too young (before a year) can have harmful effects on behavior.

2)You can get him a harness now, but keep in mind that he's going to grow out of it and you're gonna have to get new ones. If you do decide to get one now then don't have him pulling a lot of weight. I started Sergeant Major (my Bull Terrier) with a gallon of water when he was about 10 months old. It's light enough to not do any damage, but enough to get him used to it. Properly, you shouldn't start adding significant weight until about 14 months.

3) As a puppy and teenager he isn't going to need supplements. You should however look into raw feeding and the BARF diet. I feed Sergeant Major only raw meat (chicken drum sticks, thighs, turkey legs, beef ribs, ox-tails, etc). This requires some research, but yes dogs can eat and safely digest UNCOOKED bones. There are certain bones you cannot feed, even raw. These are bones that are large and weight-bearing on larger animals. However, having a pit-bull you'll be able make some exceptions...such as turkey legs. A lot of people who have dogs that don't have strong jaws can't handle turkey legs...Sergeant Major handles them with no problem and I'm sure your APBT will as well. I also feed him cottage cheese, fresh fruits/vegetables sometimes to go along with his raw meat diet. The thing about most commercial dog foods is that they are loaded with grain. Dogs cannot digest grains!!!! So if you have the time, go raw. Plus it looks cool to see a dog ripping apart raw animal parts.

Good luck!

thanx man u r the shit

Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    how can you say that neutering doesn't effect their growth???????

i'm no expert but what i do know is that we have a rott/mastiff mix at home that has been neutered and he has NO BALLS....just and empty sack...which means no testosterone
    Dog's will only grow a certain size, it's in the genes. Once they are done growing, they are done. Like I said, doing it to early can cause problems.

johnnybigguns is offline Banned
    I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
    If you were gunna get him to pull I woudl think you would wanna keep his nuts

Skully44420 is offline "A Work in Progress"
    Like said before, if you are going to neuter him then do it before he starts maturing. To get him started with some weight i would put a big chain around him with a lock or something attached to it to add some weight and slowly go up in weight and would wait for the pulling until atleast 10-12 months old. There are a bunch of different vitamins and supplements out there for dogs. Here is one website that i just found searching and they produce supplements i believe http://muglestonspitbullfarm.com/vitamins.html

My old roommate used to tell me about this vitamin/supplement for a pit to make them huge but i can't remember what it was called nutro something or other maybe?

Skully44420 is offline "A Work in Progress"
    It was called NuVet...just found it. The pits on this website are using this supplement http://southernpitbulls.com/dogshealth.html

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    my pup

VeraDeMilo is offline Member
    I've got a pit. 6 years old. Had him since he was 6 weeks old. Got his balls removed when he was around a year old. He is now 100lbs. Odd thing is, he still humps one of his pillows every night at about 8:30pm. you can literally set your watch to it.

Anyway... I never tried him out with pulling or anything. But I would never have started him while he was young. Wouldn't have wanted to stunt his growth. Healthy exercise is one thing. When he was growing though, I used to feed him doggie protein. I forgot the brand, but it came in a toothpaste looking container and you just squeezed a tablespoon out and fed it a couple of times a day (in addition to his two meals). Once a week he got a big steak too.

Be careful with what type of bones you give him. There is a reason they say not to give your dog bones like the type found in chicken wings. Those type of bones splinter and become razor sharp and can damage the throat and digestive track. I have had to pull a few out of my dogs throat after he got into the garbage. They were stuck and cut him up pretty good inside.

I am very much against injecting a dog with anything, so I respect you for not wanting to go that route.

Chicken bones only splinter and become razor sharp when cooked, which causes them to lose all their moisture. Dogs are than capable of safely eating raw chicken bones. My dog has been doing so for a year straight, every single day, twice a day...with no problems. The down side to feeding chicken WINGS is that there is more bone than meat. You're better off with other parts, drumsticks, thighs, necks work well and are very cheap to buy.

If you are considering feeding raw, do not mix with kibble. Feed one or the other. Having both in the stomach causes problems.

Chicken bones only splinter and become razor sharp when cooked, which causes them to lose all their moisture. Dogs are than capable of safely eating raw chicken bones. My dog has been doing so for a year straight, every single day, twice a day...with no problems. The down side to feeding chicken WINGS is that there is more bone than meat. You're better off with other parts, drumsticks, thighs, necks work well and are very cheap to buy.

If you are considering feeding raw, do not mix with kibble. Feed one or the other. Having both in the stomach causes problems.
    You feed your dog raw uncooked chicken?

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VeraDeMilo View Post

Wasn't there an Australian doctor or somebody who came up with that whole idea??? And it is suppose to be the best....lol, or so I've heard from people.

Quote Originally Posted by VeraDeMilo View Post
    Yeah dude. Every day.

Here are some resources about raw feeding:

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Here is my pit, ive had it for many years...

Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    Wasn't there an Australian doctor or somebody who came up with that whole idea??? And it is suppose to be the best....lol, or so I've heard from people.
    Yeah dude. Every day.

Here are some resources about raw feeding:

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html
    wow, I never heard about any of this before. Guess I gotta catch up on my reading. Thanks for the links. Noooomoto, how much money do you spend a week on meats for your dog?

Probably $10-$15 per week. I go to the shitty supermarket and use a discount card. I also take advantage of sales on the chicken parts when they occur, like 2-for-1 or whatever. If thats going on I'll bulk buy.

When you think about it, it is more expensive than buying commercial dog food, but it's not ridiculous. More so if you're a member of a wholesale club (which I am not), I'm sure you can buy large amounts in those places for cheap.

i think im gona make him a spring pole this wknd and idk about the harness yet just cause he is still growing and i know hes gona grow out of it. I can only imagine how big hes gona get though cause i took him to meet my buddys yr old female blue pit n shes 78lbs, hes almost as big as her n he still has his puppy teeth. I really hope hes like 150lbs or more. i been putn cooked chicken and roast beef n his food cause i get a lot of FREE FOOD!!! i love free food lol.

bushido3374 is offline Member
    I have a blue/brindle American Pitbull Terrier.

I don't work him because I lack the time. I've did look into it and what the other suggest sounds pretty sound. You'll want to check out a discussion board specifically for Pit training.

I think I remember them suggesting to wait until 2 years old before starting them on a sled. Spring poles are a good workout also. Chicken quarters can be frozen to work on their jaw strength and will clean their teeth while they're eating. That's just what I remember off the top of my head.

and me n my gf just got her a lil female rednose pit2nites ago lol im hooked

WOLFCRAFT is offline Senior Member
    This guy has a pit...

subaruwrx04 is offline Associate Member
    I have owned 2.. Get Diamond Cut food thats the best for them. You can actually go ahead and get a heavy chain and let him/her drag it around. Get them going and get them to run with it on. You can get a muscle powder its made for dogs to put in there food. Its kinda like alot of protein and creatine. Alot of running is a must and the pull of that heavy chain. I started mine on a 10 lb chain at 5 months and pulled fine. Tears up the yard a bit but worth it. By a year we were up to a 20 lbs chain with ease. Did that to my last one and she was massive. She would stand there and you could just see how big she was.

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    i think im gona make him a spring pole this wknd and idk about the harness yet just cause he is still growing and i know hes gona grow out of it. I can only imagine how big hes gona get though cause i took him to meet my buddys yr old female blue pit n shes 78lbs, hes almost as big as her n he still has his puppy teeth. I really hope hes like 150lbs or more. i been putn cooked chicken and roast beef n his food cause i get a lot of FREE FOOD!!! i love free food lol.
    First off, congrats on the puppy. They are truely part of a certain lifestyle. Kudos.

Secondly, by all means, get him a springpole. They do wonders for animal.

Proper diet is also a main concern we feed our pit bull a combination of high quality dog food and human grade foods as well. Raw meats are a plus for a dog that carries that much LMM.

I have an Ironman Pit. He is a XXL Bully.

I know i need a more recent pic, but this is him at about 6wks. He is about 5 months now.

The parents are Greyline, Gottiline, Razors Edge, Nevada and Watchdog. I paid a pretty penny for my boy, but hes worth it! His pop is 115lbs, and the mother weighs in at a hefty 90lbs. These XXL bullys are about as big as you can get as far as a APBT gets.

Best of luck to you and your pup!

DKU
    DKU is offline Associate Member
    Awww, soo cute.

It's a shame pitbulls are illegal here.

Quote Originally Posted by DKU View Post
    Awww, soo cute.

It's a shame pitbulls are illegal here.
    ther actually illegal were i live to. im carefull w him n were i take him, he stays w me at my gfs a lot n ther legal out n her area. Idk why ther illegal in STL its like racial profiling for dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by subaruwrx04 View Post
    I have owned 2.. Get Diamond Cut food thats the best for them. You can actually go ahead and get a heavy chain and let him/her drag it around. Get them going and get them to run with it on. You can get a muscle powder its made for dogs to put in there food. Its kinda like alot of protein and creatine. Alot of running is a must and the pull of that heavy chain. I started mine on a 10 lb chain at 5 months and pulled fine. Tears up the yard a bit but worth it. By a year we were up to a 20 lbs chain with ease. Did that to my last one and she was massive. She would stand there and you could just see how big she was.
    iv heard that the chain can give them neck problems, did u notice anything like that? How should i put it on him? do i just make a collar out out of it or what???
    Last edited by Schmidty; 03-17-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WARMachine View Post
    First off, congrats on the puppy. They are truely part of a certain lifestyle. Kudos.

Secondly, by all means, get him a springpole. They do wonders for animal.

Proper diet is also a main concern we feed our pit bull a combination of high quality dog food and human grade foods as well. Raw meats are a plus for a dog that carries that much LMM.

I have an Ironman Pit. He is a XXL Bully.

I know i need a more recent pic, but this is him at about 6wks. He is about 5 months now.

The parents are Greyline, Gottiline, Razors Edge, Nevada and Watchdog. I paid a pretty penny for my boy, but hes worth it! His pop is 115lbs, and the mother weighs in at a hefty 90lbs. These XXL bullys are about as big as you can get as far as a APBT gets.

Best of luck to you and your pup!
    yeah i was lookn at ther pits, ther fvckn huge man n if i had the cash id buy one like that for sure

*El Diablo* is offline Respected Member
    Ella!!!

Get a harness. Dont use a collar and just click it onto the harness and let em go at it. It equals the weight more threw out the whole body and not just holding it up by there neck. Works great. I used just a regular collar one of them and she never had a problem though. She was ripped at the age of 8 months.

LAW
    LAW is offline Female Member
    I have a 5 month old blue nose pit. I was planning on getting him neutered on Friday how come they all say to do it before 6 mos to avoid problems and your saying it will mess him up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails who has pits???-tboy1.jpg   who has pits???-tboy.jpg  
    Last edited by LAW; 03-18-2009 at 11:38 AM.

By 6 months a dog reaches sexual maturity. Its done before this time frame so the dog does not build to much testosterone . Also stops them from hiking there leg up every 10 seconds and marking there territory. As well it helps with behavioral problems from occuring.

Thats words from a veterinarian. My sister.. Cant put it more clear.

Get a harness. Dont use a collar and just click it onto the harness and let em go at it. It equals the weight more threw out the whole body and not just holding it up by there neck. Works great. I used just a regular collar one of them and she never had a problem though. She was ripped at the age of 8 months.
    so just get a reg harness and hook it to the back? sorry im just tryn to do this n do it right

Yep easy as that.. Go to the hardware store and fiind a very thick chain and go from there. Get a easy clamp like the ones people use to rock climp just get a cheap one so you can hook the chain quick and easy when you want.

Also..
    No dog needs a constent supply of food. No pit needs more than 4 cups of food a day. Have your dog on a time schedule. You only need to feed a dog once a day or you can split it up into 2 portions ex.. morning and around dinner.. Excessive foods leans to less muscle and more fat. Then you will have to get your dog on a diet not a dog thing. Raw eggs in food are great for them. Hard food just crack an egg in it and mix it real good into the food. Also like I said go to your local pet store and look at supplements for dogs. They make some for dogs. Kinda like creatine for dogs. And follow the instruction don't over kill it.

Yep easy as that.. Go to the hardware store and fiind a very thick chain and go from there. Get a easy clamp like the ones people use to rock climp just get a cheap one so you can hook the chain quick and easy when you want.

Also..
    No dog needs a constent supply of food. No pit needs more than 4 cups of food a day. Have your dog on a time schedule. You only need to feed a dog once a day or you can split it up into 2 portions ex.. morning and around dinner.. Excessive foods leans to less muscle and more fat. Then you will have to get your dog on a diet not a dog thing. Raw eggs in food are great for them. Hard food just crack an egg in it and mix it real good into the food. Also like I said go to your local pet store and look at supplements for dogs. They make some for dogs. Kinda like creatine for dogs. And follow the instruction don't over kill it.
    Thank u so much man. Can i pm u for any other questions?

Cavallino is offline Associate Member
    I have a solid black APBT 1.5 years old. He's actually only about 60lbs which is "healthy" for the breed. He's very muscular and ripped, but I love that he's slim. I've seen plenty 100lbs and even more, they look awesome, but I feel they lack the vascularity and agility my dog has.

He has an amazing diet that actually has a lot of variety (for a dog). He gets his basic dry dogfood mixed with wet dogfood, mix in olive oil (really good for the coat), and I crack a raw egg over it. But his raw meat selection is essential.

I actually taught him how to run on my treadmill, and he does it for about 30-40 minutes everyday. Another good exercise for them is to get on a skateboard and have them pull you -- but be careful lol.

i got him on this shit called muscle up powder for dogs a few breeders recomended, a puppy multi vitamine, putn a raw egg on his dry food and mixing meat w his food and the past few wks iv stated that hes really fvckn grown. I ordered the weighted collar and harness from a apbt breeder n i am tryn to make a spring toy for him but im moven to a new place n the nxt few days n im not gona b able to hang it up till then. I me a guy w a 110lb pit at a dog park yesterday n he said ivan is a lil bit bigger then his dog was at his age, i hope he turns into a real monster lol. Oh and i decided since im not liven in the city anymore im not getn his balls cut off

Muscle Up Powder thats it.. Yes very good stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information