J431S is offline Banned

to whom it may concern

what's your thought on the case for or against affirmative action? I need all details, both, pros and cons on this topic.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by J431S View Post
    what's your thought on the case for or against affirmative action? I need all details, both, pros and cons on this topic.

i think that is was a good thought, but soon became grounds for reverse discrimination and has progressed to full blown reverse discrimination

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    take the supreme court case BAKKE. regardless of what people say, affirmative action does not allow quotas for universities, and it has been ruled unconstitional. i forgot the case but this guy got denied with higher scores trying to get into med school.

hardvard has adopted soemthing where they do not take race as a sole factor, but geographic location, economic status as well (which happens to be alot of minorities), and they are rewarded points. this system is constitutional.

pros-it promotes the idea of social advancements for minorities and underprivelaged

cons-it does not have the most qualified candidates, and therefore should be a "color blind" system

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    With or without it ... someone is getting fvcked.

personally, i think that universities have an unwritten number that they want to promote. afterall diversity is key now a days on state school campuses. they just cant outright say they are reserving 100 seats for blacks!

i think time has surpassed discrimination now, (i mean comon, when people group/classify themselves there will always be racism; its human nature). affirmative action is not a quota system so people arent being dicked as it seems. QUOTAS ARE ILLEGAL! it just promotes the fact that they "recognize" underpivelaged minorities..pshh believe me if employer does not want you because you are bklack you will not get the job

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    It got pretty bad in Canada for while about 8-10 years ago. If you were a white male you were chosen last for positions such as police officers or firemen/persons etc... Its nice to know that the person coming to save your ass and hall you out of a burning building may not actually be able to carry you, but the fire division is more "equally" staffed

Its hard to figure which is better though. There were problems before this affirmative action, and there were a new set of problems after it. As mentionned above, either way, theres always going to be problems and pissed off people.

my opinion.. it was a great political move and a surprising 1960's new deal court era. but were past that now! most qualified should be rewarded

Chode Logan is offline AR's Ravishing Maestro of Anabolic Tastyness
    I think it's horrible and is a form of discrimination in it's own. It should be based on qualifications strictly. Eatrainrest is right.

It might have been a good idea in the "back of the bus" days, but it's not like that anymore.

vpchill is offline "Born to lose, Dying to win"
    Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    personally, i think that universities have an unwritten number that they want to promote. afterall diversity is key now a days on state school campuses. they just cant outright say they are reserving 100 seats for blacks!
    So, They reserve seats for Minorities? I mean Minrotities are good enough to Play all the sports at the University but not good enough to attend classes?

I think affirmattive action was for the 60's 70's and 80's. The Playing field has been (Tho Minor) Slightly evened out. Many business men are minority. If you really want to open your eyes, There are Many succesful Non-American citizens doing better than All of us.

my opinion.. it was a great political move and a surprising 1960's new deal court era. but were past that now! most qualified should be rewarded
    Agreed, The Most Qualified should get the Position. No matter Race or ethnic Background.

Quote Originally Posted by vpchill View Post
    So, They reserve seats for Minorities? I mean Minrotities are good enough to Play all the sports at the University but not good enough to attend classes?

I think affirmattive action was for the 60's 70's and 80's. The Playing field has been (Tho Minor) Slightly evened out. Many business men are minority. If you really want to open your eyes, There are Many succesful Non-American citizens doing better than All of us.
    there was a supreme court case with the university of michigan undergrad i believe, if my memory recalls correctly. they reserved 16 seats for blacks or something to that sort and it was struck down, hence no quotas legal, but i think there is an UNDERLYING quota that they have in mind, they just dont mention it on paper, no harm, no foul. instead they will use the "promoting a more diverse atmosphere" card
    Last edited by eatrainrest; 04-28-2009 at 09:15 AM.

^^ Understood. Its interesting to get peoples take on the subject

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    I would rather hire someone who will fit in well with other employees and give it their all than the "most qualified" any day. If your qualifications were all that mattered why would we even do interviews?

I've still ended up working with a few people who were unforgivably stupid and incompetent but were hired because they had a nice degree from a nice place, were well dressed and acted polite to the HR person. None lasted long. The other employees get really tired of making up for someone's inability to accomplish assigned tasks. Most everyone has probably worked with someone like this.

Affirmative action can lend you the worst of both worlds. You can get a less qualified candidate who is also a poor fit for the company and other workers.

In a perfect liberal world you get a well qualified person who would not have been hired otherwise and deepens everyone's respect and perception of minorities and brings us into a better world for everybody.

^^^ Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnstHatAngst View Post
    I would rather hire someone who will fit in well with other employees and give it their all than the "most qualified" any day. If your qualifications were all that mattered why would we even do interviews?

I've still ended up working with a few people who were unforgivably stupid and incompetent but were hired because they had a nice degree from a nice place, were well dressed and acted polite to the HR person. None lasted long. The other employees get really tired of making up for someone's inability to accomplish assigned tasks. Most everyone has probably worked with someone like this.

Affirmative action can lend you the worst of both worlds. You can get a less qualified candidate who is also a poor fit for the company and other workers.

In a perfect liberal world you get a well qualified person who would not have been hired otherwise and deepens everyone's respect and perception of minorities and brings us into a better world for everybody.
    i agree, but the most qualified does not fall into academics.. from my perspective it is way more than a degree. your personality, resume, community service, background investigation, references, or anything that will reflect your personality and why you should be given the job over someone else, is most qualified.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    i agree, but the most qualified does not fall into academics.. from my perspective it is way more than a degree. your personality, resume, community service, background investigation, references, or anything that will reflect your personality and why you should be given the job over someone else, is most qualified.
    I agree with you 100%. It just seems the biggest argument people make against affirmative action is that we'd hire a person who has inferior credentials just because they're a minority and how that's not right. I'm merely pointing out that I'd look at a lot more than just where you went to college and what your gpa was to decide whether you're qualified.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Chips

ni4ni is offline Pharmaceutically Enhanced
    Chips
    he still can't get it thru his head- GOD LOVE HIM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ni4ni View Post
    he still can't get it thru his head- GOD LOVE HIM!!!
    Uhhh. You lost me

ni4ni is offline Pharmaceutically Enhanced
    uhhh. You lost me
    no biggy bro-
    matt needs to c it

gotcha

i dont remember the last time i had a potatoe chip

Thread Information