en1222 is offline Member

Do those scales that tell your BF really work?

Do those scales that tell your BF really work?

If so what are some good brands and/or models?

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    Those scales work by bioelectrical impedance. That basically means the scale will send an electrical current from one foot to the other. It tells you your body fat by how long it takes for the current to go through your body. Does it work? Depends. You need to make sure that you are not dehydrated because that will slow the current down. Besides that, it’s just about as accurate as the pinch. I say that because you have to consider human error and depend that the person pinching really knows what they are doing.

Mandinka is offline Junior Member
    I have used various models , and currently own an MBO German model. They suck , and the comparison with fat scales is totally out. I've tried many models and they all produce very different answers. Stick to pincers I think or try the water tank test.

peaker is offline Senior Member
    i think the scales dont even get close to reading a rough bf %. I reckon i could get a much more accurate idea by just looking in the mirror. At least the pinch gives you a better idea if you are losing or gaining bf.

peaker

Jenseno9 is offline Member
    I think the best way to measure you body fat would be to just use the same method that way you can tell it you are gaining or losing bf.

CanadianBD is offline New Member
    The electrical impedance method works only on a quality scale. The $75 wal-mart scale will not work well in comparison to the $3000 scale we have at my gym, which is very accurate. I'm currently testing between 13.8-14.2% regularly as I'm trying to bulk up. But if you buy it for under a grand I highly doubt it's accuracy. MHO

T$sMechamT/A is offline Junior Member
    bioelectrical impedance hypothetically should be very reliable, but pinchers seem to be the cheapest method and most used method... some universities offer free bf and other cardio testing through their althetic departments if you are a student.

I am not sure I would rely on bioelectrical scales for BF% measurement for the simple reason I doubt my feet would make for good electrical conductors.

Somehow I don't think feet that are thickly callused is the ideal place to take such measurements.

Red

TeenPL is offline Banned
    i think that the bioelectrical impediance scales are bogus. My dad got one and it said i have 26%bf. I got checked a little while ago and was 12%

Thread Information