Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RotorHead is offline Associate Member

Anyone in or that has been in the military in please.

My name is Jeremy and I'm trying to be all i can be ASAP. I have an Associate's degree in Diesel Technology.

I know this is my decision but i like to hear opinions. What would be the best branch for me? I'm obviously gonna try to be a mechanic. I dont really want to join the Army but whatever

what u guys think?

The Army offers the most money, and will probably be the quickest to get you in.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    I served for 8 years. It helped me a lot.

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
    My name is Jeremy and I'm trying to be all i can be ASAP. I have an Associate's degree in Diesel Technology.

I know this is my decision but i like to hear opinions. What would be the best branch for me? I'm obviously gonna try to be a mechanic. I dont really want to join the Army but whatever

what u guys think?
    Then obviously don't join the army. If u wanna go technical try the AF if u wanna get in quick and get a big bonus then ur going in the army. There's the marines but you might aswell join the army and get the bonus if ur gonna do that

SSGBlack is offline New Member
    I happen to be a recruiter, pm me if you want certain info...I am versed in all services options, gotta know the competition. I wont try to sell ya on anything, but give ya honest info.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Im still working for MI5 so im not allowed to talk about it...

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    ten years, army is the army, but depends what kind of job you are looking for in the military....what are your goals bro?

Yergg is offline Junior Member
    I was in the Navy..... They have a lot of school options, but availability I dont know. Sounds like you already know what you wanna do, so why not join the Marines!!!! lol This post is a little confusing.... I guess I dont really have an opinion.

CptAmericaX is offline Member
    if you want to work 9 to 5 and have hot meals and coffee join the airforcebut if you wanna take lives marines army or navy, but it realy depends on what job you get in any of them, or join the coast guard and steal drugs from the smugglers

wow im glad i have alot of support on here.
    my goal right now is to get the **** out of my house... i dont care if i get stationed far away. i only wanna serve 4 years or so unless i end up liking it more or something. i realize the coast guard, airforce, and navy are probably my best bets... ill see alot of places and i hopefully wont go to the sandlot.... then again if they want me to go im not going to complain. Where ever i go i want to be a mechanic though because i could really use the experience and have that on my resume. Im extremely mechanically inclined and i know my shit.

if im going to be a mechanic im sure i wont be taking any lives...
    tomorrow im goin to the local recruiter with my best friend who is already in the national guard.

Have you thought about the Coast Guard?

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    my goal right now is to get the **** out of my house... i dont care if i get stationed far away. i only wanna serve 4 years or so unless i end up liking it more or something. i realize the coast guard, airforce, and navy are probably my best bets... ill see alot of places and i hopefully wont go to the sandlot.... then again if they want me to go im not going to complain. Where ever i go i want to be a mechanic though because i could really use the experience and have that on my resume. Im extremely mechanically inclined and i know my shit.

tomorrow im goin to the local recruiter with my best friend who is already in the national guard.
    sounds like you are on the right track, good luck and god bless bro have fun...bang and many girls as you can while you are in....

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)

It doesn't matter what service you join, you're going to the desert. You can't really go wrong with any of em.

CptAmericaX is offline Member
    coast guard u wont go to the desert....

Quote Originally Posted by CptAmericaX View Post
    I said service, not yacht club.

i have thought about the coast guard... idunno im leaning towards the airforce.. maybe the navy. im sure they will try to put me where ever im needed.. ill let you guys know what i think after i talk to the recruiter in the morning

also do you guys know if any branch would pay for the school i already took? i still owe like 15,000 on loans...

I have respect for the guys in the Coast Guard after watching Deadliest Catch. Those guys put there selves on the line to save ordinary citizens. And you get to chase drug runners.

i have thought about the coast guard... idunno im leaning towards the airforce.. maybe the navy. im sure they will try to put me where ever im needed.. ill let you guys know what i think after i talk to the recruiter in the morning
    Don't do anything until you come back on here and tell us what the recruiter said.

also do you guys know if any branch would pay for the school i already took? i still owe like 15,000 on loans...
    I doubt it, but don't know for sure. If you become an officer after you graduate they have programs like that though, but I really have no idea how it works.

<Raven> is offline Junior Member
    I know the army offers student loan repayment contracts (SLRP) but in doing so you will waive your GI Bill. I'm also not sure if that only applies to 4 yr degrees. You also may want to consider what your plans are after seperation bc you could benefit more financially from the GI Bill if you plan to go back to school.

With regards to what service you choose its going to depends entirely on what you want to get out of your experience and factors such as travel and luxury. I enlisted bc the army had exactly what I wanted and could guarantee my slot in a combat arms mos and a shot at more. Being that you want to be a mechanic I would look at what practical applications you would have access to in each service. That is, if your looking to serve yourself as you serve your country...then you should look at issues like, location, luxury, pay, promotion, deployments, travel and overall lifestyle.

From my limited experience with the chairforce and the things I've heard and seen from friends, the airforce offers a more luxurious life. Postings are in much nicer areas, their DFAC's are ridiculous, gyms are nice, on post housing is much nicer. The benefit dies there though...the AF promotion rate is terrible.

From my personal experience the Army offers the best enlistment bonuses (I received 40k years ago, but it all depends on your job need) and in service benefits to soldiers. For example when you contract you will be aligned with companies/jobs that match your mos experience and upon separation have a high priority to interview with those options. Mine were worthless to me but I'm sure a mechanic would have better prospects and suitability in civilian job markets. The Army puts money where it benefits the fight and purpose...the Army doesn't put as much money into luxury comforts. So you wont find some sweet old lady picking up your trays in the chow hall and your on post gym will probably equate to a dungeon with the essentials, barracks arent exactly wonderful but theyre getting better. The Army promotion rate (pending that you arent a sack of shit) is pretty high. Dont look to be posted anywhere amazing though, if I ever see Ft. Benning or Bragg again I would kill myself. Bragg is getting better but I mean...it's still next to fayetteville. Most Army/marine towns follow a very specific protocol ....strip club/tattoo parlor/pawn shop/strip club/strip club/stripclub/pawn shop/check cashing joint/tattoo parlor andddd repeat until you hit the main gate. I'm not a huge fan of the "big army" for certain reasons. IMHO Its rather inherent that with a force sooooo large your going to have alot more shit bags in non combat mos positions...and the bureaucracy is insane.

I won't harp on the Marine corps bc I have a huge respect for the fighting force "as a whole". They do far more with less and make it work. So again, luxury of living and postings are going to suck about as bad as the Army, if not worse. There was a huge exodus from the Marine Corps into the army for the financial benefits when I enlisted, so much so that the Army actually had a name and process for it called the blue to green program. But if you talk to a former marine I dont think you'll find one that doesn't cherish his experience with the corps.

i cant even get into the navy for you bud, being a seaman and spending months on a boat is about as appealing to me as going on a date with DSM

I wish you luck bro, the decision youre looking at is a big one and it will have a huge impact on your future. I never wanted to leave the Army but circumstances and fate put an end to my career. I advised my brother in his choices and he just deployed 3 weeks ago, haha we'll see if he still loves me when he gets back. Look it as a growing experience and you'll get alot out of whatever choice you make. The military truly is a place where you can get out what youre willing to give and set yourself up in life.

Just promise us one thing, dont sign anything without coming back here and talking to everyone. I think theres enough current/prior service here to steer you right....and remember if if aint in writing, you aint getting it....AND whatever happens DONT BECOME AN MP!MP

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by Odpierdol_sie!; 11-20-2013 at 06:27 AM.

The Army was doing this back in 1996 but not sure if they still do. It's called an enlistment benefit or something like that. Basically if you pick this then you don't get the GI Bill or Ranger school upon enlistment because you already picked something. At least this was how it was explained to me back then.

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    Quote Originally Posted by illwillogical View Post
    The Army offers the most money, and will probably be the quickest to get you in.
    I concur...

Hmm really good advice... i appreciate it.

Im leaning toward the National Guard for 6 years... i got the enlistment datasheet today and my friend and neighbor are going to help me fill it out.

They are also running the background check on me...

He wants me to come up the 30th and take that test i forget the abbreviations.
    Bascially im trying to figure out what to settle for on the contract cuz id like to have that college paid for. what do you guys think?

tell me if im doing anything wrong

sizerp is offline Banned
    My best friend joined the Navy and he's been a sand sailor for 2 terms now. I'd go AF or CG unless you want to get your hands dirty.

ampx is offline Junior Member

what u guys think?
    Navy, i was on subs loved it. diesel tech would be great in the navy. goin as officer

im thinking the national guard isnt going to offer me shit for pay... would be nice to be close to home and things tho.

im thinking the national guard isnt going to offer me shit for pay... would be nice to be close to home and things tho.
    Go out and see the world for a few years. The Air Force used to have two year enlistments come up around this time too. Ask the recruiter.

I took that pre test thing and i got 100% on everything but the math... need to practice that math cuz im terrible at it. If i dont have a calculator im confused as hell .

ive only talked to that one recruiter for the national guard so i think im going to go to the airforce guy see what he has to say.

I took that pre test thing and i got 100% on everything but the math... need to practice that math cuz im terrible at it. If i dont have a calculator im confused as hell .

ive only talked to that one recruiter for the national guard so i think im going to go to the airforce guy see what he has to say.

<Raven> is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536 View Post
    Go out and see the world for a few years. The Air Force used to have two year enlistments come up around this time too. Ask the recruiter.
    The army also had an 18 month call to service contract at one time...

Don't go nasty girl if you want to promote a career and gain experience to further yourself. No disrespect to the weekend warriors as they are carrying alot of the fight these days, but the training and experience of being an active duty soldier is totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by <Raven> View Post
    The army also had an 18 month call to service contract at one time...

Don't go nasty girl if you want to promote a career and gain experience to further yourself. No disrespect to the weekend warriors as they are carrying alot of the fight these days, but the training and experience of being an active duty soldier is totally different.
    You have given me really good advice and i understand what everyones trying to say. i guess im just a bit of a ***** and id hate to not be home for a year or longer... you are making me think the national guard over though. I need the experience and the money equally as well. I just cant decide where to go. Army.. airforce.. guard F.uck!!

just got home from the Air Force recruiter... the jobs look awesome but theres no bonus or anything. aside from that 75% of jobs you cant be color blind.. and i am . i took a vision test online and i only got like 3 out of the 5 or 6 right. I guess now i have to decides for myself whether i wanna live nice on base of if id rather have a large cash incentive... what do you fellas think?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    ok... trees are good. yea.

i also have 143 credit hours so i better be at least an e4 dont you think?

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist
    Sorry dude. The "Puddle Patrol" does deploy personnel to the Gulf to conduct VBSS (Visit, Board, Search & Seizure) training for regular Navy personnel.

The SEALs are too busy, in case you were wondering...

To the OP, I think every service has MOS/Ratings for diesel mechanics. Personally, I wouldn't recommend the Navy from firsthand experience. Although I was attached to the Marines, there were a few times I transited the Indian Ocean on my way to the Gulf, and let me say this - life on a ship sucks. It's a floating sausage fest and boring as hell. Those ships have nice diesel engines, turbines, etc., but unless you enjoy sleeping with 60 other guys in a berthing compartment (55 have bad gas, 30 enjoy walking around naked, 15 refuse to shower, 10 are dedicated thieves, 5 are butt pirates, 2 are into some sick shit, and all of them masturbate) and prefer to NOT see land for days, weeks, and maybe months at a time, then I'd consider the Army. Nothing against the Marines - I served with them and loved it, but their benefits don't compare with the other services. The Air Force has the brightest personnel and the best base facilities, but your promotion rate will be slower, unless you're a genius, bust your ass constantly, and volunteer for every shit detail that comes along.

Just my 2 cents...

CSAR is offline AR's Cunning Linguist

The highest initial enlisted rank you can have is E3. Depending on the details and guarantees within your enlistment contract, you could be automatically promoted to E4 after graduating from your "A" school. After that, you need time in rank, completion of service-specific personnel advancement requirements, etc., etc., to get promoted up the food chain.

is another way to do it.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    not to start a debate, but surprisingly they actually do. its not a normal rotation, and i "believe" it is voluntary basis. But there has been a good number over here. I believe since the sofa agreement they are mostly out of Iraq and in Kuwait...

to the poster...
    The military isn't as bad as some say. It has its ups, and has its downs. just remember as some people have said, sometimes big bonus equal shitty places to be and what you are doing... If you have an AS or AA in diesel engines then maybe looking into a tech field in the AF or Army. somebody with actual knowledge can actually go pretty far in the diesel tech fields, they are begging for warrant officers in that field right now. .

quarry206 is offline Senior Member

I believe that the army is the only branch that will give you E-4 strait off the streets, but you have to have a BA not just the credits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information