BigBrad330 is offline Associate Member

Anyone Ever Sell Anything On Craigslist??

So I put 2 couches and a coffee table on craigslist a few days ago and I've had 4 seperate people e-mail me all with google mail accounts. All of them saying that they'll send a certified check and have a mover pick it up. I find that kind of odd that none of them wanted to come check it out first and all said they would send a check and have movers pick it up. Anyone else think that's kind of shady?

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    hell yeah thats shady....
    always cash only on craigslist, regardless of the amount...

bring the couches to them or a meeting place, do not allow people in ur home that u dont know, to many crazy fuks out there bro...

Mase33 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrad330 View Post
    So I put 2 couches and a coffee table on craigslist a few days ago and I've had 4 seperate people e-mail me all with google mail accounts. All of them saying that they'll send a certified check and have a mover pick it up. I find that kind of odd that none of them wanted to come check it out first and all said they would send a check and have movers pick it up. Anyone else think that's kind of shady?
    it is shady. they are scammers. they will email you and say their accounts guy messed up and made the check out for more than what you were asking and tell you to cash the check and then send them the extra money back. well it takes a couple of days for that check to work through the banking system before they figure out it is a fake and by then you would have sent the "extra cash" to the scammer and now you are responsible for the fake cashiers check through your bank. dont do it.

Yeah thats what I was thinking man its just weird that all 4 of them had almost identical e-mails

Darksyde is offline Member
    i have sold a half dozen guitars and amps and various other things. what you are referring to is the craigslist scam. always only take cash.

I just found it odd, one person said they were on their honeymoon so they would send a check and have movers pick it up. Another person said they were very busy so they would send a check and have movers pick it up. 2 other people said they bought new/used furniture and then turned around and sold it but due to their schedule they would send a check and have movers pick it up. All the communication has been done through e-mail when I've told them to call me to talk in person.

Mase33 is offline Associate Member
    i had them send me one of the cashiers check like i would take it for payment and you would not believe how authentic they look.

i_make_you_fit is offline New Member
    What they all are saying.. I had the same thing happen to me when I attempted to sell a surround sound on there.. the guy sent me a 2500.00 check for a 300.00 surround sound.. I never cashed it and I knew somthing was up.. he stated that the check was wrote out from his employer and wanted me to cash it and take the 300 out for the item then take an additional 300 for my trouble and have the remainder deposited into some account.. Don't Do IT bro.

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I just use craigslist for the personals . No one responds to old man looking for 20 year old ?

Quote Originally Posted by i_make_you_fit View Post
    What they all are saying.. I had the same thing happen to me when I attempted to sell a surround sound on there.. the guy sent me a 2500.00 check for a 300.00 surround sound.. I never cashed it and I knew somthing was up.. he stated that the check was wrote out from his employer and wanted me to cash it and take the 300 out for the item then take an additional 300 for my trouble and have the remainder deposited into some account.. Don't Do IT bro.
    Yeah thats exactly what a couple of them said, they would send extra and have me cash mine and wire the rest to the movers, motherf*ckers.
    Thanks for the input guys.

xavier_888888 is offline Senior Member
    Sold lots of stuff in craigslist. Cash only and we meet in public place like starbucks. But your selling a couche and coffee table lol . So just be smart bro.

Good luck!

Dancer is offline Anabolic Member
    Sold bikes on it... In person cash only

Dave-D is offline Junior Member
    Agree with all those guys, cash only. Also, CL people will like to call you and have you "hold" it for them forever and never show up. So tell them all that it is first come first served so they need to show up right away.

Immortal Soldier is offline Anabolic Member
    Big sold his body on there for a couple nights...if you bought him for 2 nights DSM came with the package for free

vpchill is offline "Born to lose, Dying to win"
    Ive heard negative things about Craigslist. Yet my ex bought a $2k couch for only $300 so I guess you gotta really investigate. She went and checked it then seen it was for real and came back with the money. I have heard of people getting scammed. Must research as in anything.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I sold my virginity. I am still waiting for the check in the mail....

scerpico22 is offline Anabolic Member
    same deal here bro...i put some furniture on there as well and got the same responses back.

waaaaaaaayy too shady for me.

my stuff never sold by the way and i was practically giving it away - and it was nice stuff.

anyhow...in person cash only is the only way i would deal.

good luck

thanks man, I've gotta drop the price I have no room in my place for it cuz my new furniture already showed up.

scerpico22 is offline Anabolic Member
    thanks man, I've gotta drop the price I have no room in my place for it cuz my new furniture already showed up.
    worse case if you cant sell it on craig/ebay - yard/garage sale would be the next best thing.

and if all else fails - salvation army will come pick it up and you can use it as a tax write off.

bd50 is offline Associate Member
    typical fake or stolen check scam!!

only sell on craigslist to local people and CASH ONLY NO MATTER WHAT.

same thing happened to me trying to sell a car. dude offered me 1k over my asking price and "would send a car transport company to pick it up".

if you do this, YOU end up owing your bank the total amount of the FAKE CHECK, and bank often reports you to police, since now they think you're involved with fraudulent checks.

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    sounds like a good deal to me

Quote Originally Posted by bd50 View Post
    typical fake or stolen check scam!!

only sell on craigslist to local people and CASH ONLY NO MATTER WHAT.

same thing happened to me trying to sell a car. dude offered me 1k over my asking price and "would send a car transport company to pick it up".

if you do this, YOU end up owing your bank the total amount of the FAKE CHECK, and bank often reports you to police, since now they think you're involved with fraudulent checks.
    What would hapen if you wen't to a place that cashes checks that isn't your bank?

bd50 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottythebody View Post
    What would hapen if you wen't to a place that cashes checks that isn't your bank?
    good question. in my area (south fl), these "check cashing stores" require you have an account with them, which they ask for bank documentation, proof of employment and/or paystubs, etc.

idk about other states.

so i would assume they can track you down if they cash a bad check for you.

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    oh man you should totally set them up with a fake address etc, that way you get the last laugh.

Cloe85 is offline Female Member
    i agree, meet in a public place, not too close to your house and cash only!

i did however get the job i have now from craigslist, so its not all bad...

Thread Information