Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

higherdesire is offline Banned
    I hate to see this kind of mockery. THis is what is meant by taking the name of the Lord in vane.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    It's a Christian Fundamentalist movement known as the "Toronto Blessing." IMHO, all it demonstrates is the adage, "There's a sucker born every minute." But lots of people (allegedly) smarter than me have spent lots of time and effort analyzing this, and consider it a genuine manifestation of God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Blessing

The Toronto Blessing is a term coined by British churches to describe the revival and resulting phenomena that began in January 1994 at Toronto Airport Vineyard Christian Fellowship, now known as Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship (TACF), a neocharismatic evangelical Christian church located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.[1] Participants in the conferences and meetings sponsored by TACF have reported healings, incidents of personal transformation and a greater awareness of God's love. It has also been referred to as The Father's Blessing, The Anointing, The Awakening, The River, and The Fire.

History
    TACF pastors John and Carol Arnott were inspired by a revival in Argentina. They invited Randy Clark of St. Louis, Missouri, to minister at TACF in January 1994. Randy Clark has been influenced by the ministry of Rodney Howard-Browne, a South African preacher, founder of the Rodney Howard-Browne Evangelistic Association in Louisville, Kentucky, and the earliest known proponent of the “holy laughter” revival phenomenon, and introduced some of his approach into TACF practice.
    Some visitors have carried the influence of the revival back to their home congregations. Areas that have become known for Toronto Blessing type revivals worldwide include Pensacola, Florida, in the United States and Bath in England. The Blessing has become known for ecstatic worship, including what is known as falling or resting in the Spirit, laughter, shaking, and crying.[1] One TACF teaching, the Golden Sword Prophecy, has been spreading among Charismatic churches.[2]
    The peak of Toronto Blessing prominence in the Christian community occurred in the mid to late 1990s. Since that time it has faded from public view, although the proponents of Discernment Ministries would suggest that these kinds of events are simply part of a wider theological cycle that has existed continually throughout modern era Pentecostalism / Charismatism. [3]

Debates

The Toronto Blessing has been the subject of controversy.
    In his book, Counterfeit Revival, Hank Hanegraaff makes the case that the revival has done more damage than good. His view is that Toronto was a matter of people being worked into altered states of consciousness where they obscure reality and enshrine absurdity.

Mentions in Popular Culture

The "Toronto Blessing" was referenced in the 2004 Law & Order: Special Victims Unit episode "Careless."

References

1. <LI id=cite_note-bowker-0>^ a b Bowker, John (1997). "Toronto Blessing". The Concise Oxford Dictionary of World Religions. http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O101-TorontoBlessing.html. Retrieved on 2008-12-21. <LI id=cite_note-1>^ Apologetics research resources on religious cults and sects - "Golden Sword Prophecy"
    2. ^ Buttner, Charleen (2001-07-19). "Latter Rain". University of Virginia. http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/Latrain.html.

External links

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Blessing"

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    hahaha wow

good thing Im not going to heaven. Don't want to be with those nut jobs.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    wow........what a load of shit.......funny tho....if people went on like that in any other than Gods name they would all be sectioned.....

scerpico22 is offline Anabolic Member
    where do these people come from...

UncleD is offline Associate Member
    lol that guys got the magic stick.. if you can yell once you can yell switch 50cvnt

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    They need serious help..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post

good thing Im not going to heaven. Don't want to be with those nut jobs.
    Yay, i'll be seeing to downstairs as well !

Quote Originally Posted by scerpico22 View Post
    where do these people come from...
    From Jesus !

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    I agree, this an odd expression of religious sentiment.

Clearly beyond what most would consider "normal"

I also find it interesting that many who advocate "acceptance", "non-discrimination" and "equal rights",

find it difficult to apply those same standards to those who do not share their views.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Oh lovely...another Christianity bashing thread!

You can bash that video because crap like that is ridiculous and is far from any Church I have ever been to. I don't recall Jesus ever running around speaking in tongues nobody else could understand or hitting people.

I think alot of those groups are out to destroy Christianity and give people the impression that the religion is a joke and full of a bunch nutjobs.

Sad!
    ***No source checks!!!***

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja View Post
    Not really . . . just showing some of the diversity that is Christian Protestantism. I'm anxious to see what oddities that Muslim Protestantism comes up with . . .

You can bash that video because crap like that is ridiculous and is far from any Church I have ever been to.
    What, you've never been to a charismatic church? It's time to broaden your perspectives a bit, and see how other Christians worship. Tongues-talking, Bible-b'leeving, Demon-casting, Washed-in-the-Blood Genuine Brothers and Sisters in the Faith are waiting to welcome you to their congregations.

I don't recall Jesus ever running around speaking in tongues nobody else could understand or hitting people.
    That's because Jesus was a Presbyterian.
    But, he did mention a thing or two about others babbling in tongues:
    http://bible.org/article/speaking-tongues

I think alot of those groups are out to destroy Christianity and give people the impression that the religion is a joke and full of a bunch nutjobs.
    You're too paranoid.

The Bible isn't what people say it is, and the officials and followers of the religions are a bunch of nutjobs. Want confirmation? Click on the link in the first post of this thread. Want more confirmation? Just ask.
    http://www.musclemissions.org/

Sad!
    It's not all that sad, since it's not my religion.
    We're all on this big wet round terrarium, and we're all gonna get recycled over and over again, and there isn't anything we can do about it.

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUdc5h10zTo
    Snake Handlers! Poison Drinkers!

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    90% of them are defiantly hypocrites.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What a bunch of raving lunatics.

When we need to find alternatives to oil when it runs out, or space exploration, dealing with a warming planet or putting man on Mars, all the praying in the world wont do anything about that as we have no choice but to turn to technology to save us. I truly feel we are going to enter a new age of technology soon and religion with all it's nutjobs will just be left behind.

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Thank god we arent in an ice age at least. I like it getting warmer instead of cooler. We arent going to turn into a desert.

Go watch ice age.... would that be better?

Global warming.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Thank god we arent in an ice age at least. I like it getting warmer instead of cooler. We arent going to turn into a desert.

Go watch ice age.... would that be better?

Global warming.

Well global warming has been pretty much accepted by everyone as happening, though there are varying opinions and facts on how much hotter its getting. Is it our fault or is it natural? Well whatever you believe I think we should treat it like it is our fault for the simple fact we only have one planet and nowhere else to go should we ignore things and things do get intollerable. But it seems like yourself, most people will just bury their heads in the sand.

Anyways, this isn't really the place for such a debate as it has nothing to do with this thread so you can PM if you want to carry on this discussion.

mikenam69 is offline New Member
    I'm a Christian who's high on life... is that the same thing

Thick2ThinNY is offline New Member
    Yo thats not even cool Kenneth Hagin was a good dude

CrazyHorse13 is offline Associate Member
    You know I did not believe it either till I checked it out myself...

and I found out that there is a physical presence of God.....that physically touches your body....the toronto blessing is real...its just most churches don't actually believe the bible is for today and they do...I mean read Acts 2 and all the other miracles...also in chronicles the priest were overwhelmed by the presence and could not even do their jobs.....

Again I thought all of that too...until I checked it out myself...

Friend is offline Live every week like it's shark week
    Where do i sign up?

gunslinger2 is offline Associate Member
    Yup, I see a lot of them these days. I think it says something about the people that start threads like this.

If I spent my time posting threads about how gays are bad or how bad jews are, people would say I'm a bad person and most likely call me a few choice names. But, let someone post anti-christian threads and its all ok. Double standard much?

Just remember the people who buy into this kinda crap are the same types that are in the videos. People with week minds who think they are smarter than they really are. Its very sad that people who post these types of threads have nothing better to do than bash someone else for their beliefs. Really, get a life people.
    Last edited by gunslinger2; 09-05-2009 at 08:57 PM.

GuybrushThreepwod is offline Associate Member
    Do you have a personal vendetta against Christians DSM? Were you shunned as a child?

Friend is offline Live every week like it's shark week
    Seriously, where do i sign up?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GuybrushThreepwod View Post
    Do you have a personal vendetta against Christians DSM? Were you shunned as a child?
    No i was touched by jesus... well his name was really father Jackson but he said jesus said it was ok.

You know, I think I believe that. What better way to cover up shame then joking about it?

gunslinger2 is offline Associate Member
    I think we just figured out why he has a personal vendetta against Christians.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GuybrushThreepwod View Post
    You know, I think I believe that. What better way to cover up shame then joking about it?

I wish , then i would have been at church 3 times a week !

Its just that he is in agreement with the Ani-Christ Spirit

Read the books of 1st - 3rd John

Pay attention to the world right now...(the athorities are begining to shut the lid on christianity....) It the Anti-Christ Spriit....in fact when the Real physical Anti-Christ comes he will proclaim he is Christ and paint a false picture that Jesus in the Anti-Christ

The Bible is awesome...try reading it

NightWolf is offline Member
    The faggots are really doing alot of christian bashing nowdays..
    But really, who can take someone who looks like this serious?

Last edited by NightWolf; 09-06-2009 at 03:06 PM.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse13 View Post
    Its just that he is in agreement with the Ani-Christ Spirit

Read the books of 1st - 3rd John

Pay attention to the world right now...(the athorities are begining to shut the lid on christianity....) It the Anti-Christ Spriit....in fact when the Real physical Anti-Christ comes he will proclaim he is Christ and paint a false picture that Jesus in the Anti-Christ

The Bible is awesome...try reading it
    i agree it the best selling fiction book of all time

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    i agree it the best selling fiction book of all time
    It is more than fiction. It has non-fiction books in it also. Most of the bible is actually just a history book. There is fiction in it also (poems, songs, proverbs etc...), but it can't be classified as a purely fiction book.

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock View Post
    It's a Christian Fundamentalist movement known as the "Toronto Blessing." IMHO, all it demonstrates is the adage, "There's a sucker born every minute." But lots of people (allegedly) smarter than me have spent lots of time and effort analyzing this, and consider it a genuine manifestation of God.

[/COLOR][/URL]"
    tock i dont ever think i have agreed with you (ever!!) but you thoughts of this are dead on - it is crap!!!

nothing biblical about this...

this is only so the evanglist (in this case scam artist) get tons of money from the people who dont read enough of their bible ...

this guy need a good kick in his ass for stealing from ppl

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger2 View Post
    Yup, I see a lot of them these days. I think it says something about the people that start threads like this.

If I spent my time posting threads about how gays are bad or how bad jews are, people would say I'm a bad person and most likely call me a few choice names. But, let someone post anti-christian threads and its all ok. Double standard much?

Just remember the people who buy into this kinda crap are the same types that are in the videos. People with week minds who think they are smarter than they really are. Its very sad that people who post these types of threads have nothing better to do than bash someone else for their beliefs. Really, get a life people.
    Everything you said was pretty insightful. Especially the bolded part..

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I am not a believer in all the tongue speaking and all that, but I really don't care if people think talking to a tree is cool. It is none of my business and doesn't affect me.

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenam69 View Post
    I'm a Christian who's high on life... is that the same thing
    uuummm...no...wait...no...I don't think so...

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    I am not a believer in all the tongue speaking and all that, but I really don't care if people think talking to a tree is cool. It is none of my business and doesn't affect me.
    i agree they have the right to do what ever they want. But i have the right to laugh at it too

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger2 View Post

Don't be mistaken about religion .
    It has it's place in society , but its a choice .
    Homosexuality and what race a person is not a choice .

There are a lot of different religions . What one is correct depends on personal choice .

I don't think I am smart by any means , I just believe the world is a better place by people believing in religion .

Does not mean I have to believe and I have a life , thank you .

I have found that there is truth in every religon....but the Bible straightens them out....

Try reading it....if your curious

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information