Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    C-MaN is offline Senior Member

Buying a new handgun

Well I've decided to get my concealed handgun license after considering it for a couple of years now. I'm wanting to get a new pistol, perferably a 9mm but i am not opposed to a 40 cal. Ive shot the Stoeger 9mm and am in love with it. With the 115 grain self defense round it has the power of a 40 cal. My price range is under 500 dollars. Any gun enthusiast's out there? What would you consider the best bang for your buck ! !

ni4ni is offline Pharmaceutically Enhanced
    love those glock's
    jmo

glocks are a little over rated in my opinion and for the most part are out of my price range.

go w/ the stoeger

CptAmericaX is offline Member
    I got a glock 9mm XD and its definatly not over rated its a bad ass gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CptAmericaX View Post
    I got a glock 9mm XD and its definatly not over rated its a bad ass gun.
    glock is the way to go

The 17,19,26 or 34 ? Anyone a fan of Rugers?

Hunter is offline Grateful
    I carry a .380 ruger lcp at time in an ankle holster, very light and a pleasure to to carry. Then I also carry a glock 23 in .40 cal.

glock 33-> .357

Ive actually shot the ruger .380 lcp. Great little gun. Im actually thinking about getting that down the road. Ever shoot the glock 33? Hows it handle?

just bought one ~2wks ago. had 2 glocks stolen out of my house one of which was the 33. I think the other was the 22.
    yeah, i love the lil pocket rocket

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    <----Master USPSA Shooter...

Now answer a few questions for me. What are the uses of this gun? Is it only for carry or will you be shooting it a lot as well? What experience do you have in shooting etc? This will help narrow things down.

Right off the bat I'm thinking based on price range is a striker fired polymer gun such as an S&W M&P. I've got a few of them and they are great. A 9mm 1911 is another great choice but you won't be able to buy one in that price range.

Im wanting a 9mm for self protection but also to be able to use it at the range without it costing me an arm and a leg in ammunition. I looked at the s & w 9mm but i wasnt crazy about it. Experienced hunter with a decent knowledge on handguns.

Also i have a good friend of mine who turned me on to the stoeger.. said it was a great 9mm for the price of 400?

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I carry a .45. I have 2, a Sig and a HK. Both were pricey but very good weapons.

The Stoeger isn't a great firearm. What didn't you like about the M&P's?

If you're going to be shooting the gun a lot I recommend getting a full sized gun and not a subcompact. Subcompacts are much harder to shooter for many reasons. First off they transfer more of the recoil to the shooter making it more difficult to manage and causing more issues with flinching (shooting low and left) which is the most common issue with shooters. The other problem with the subcompact is they have a shorter sight radius making it more diffucult to aquire the sights etc. Plus, the shoter barrel doesn't create the same velocity and is less accurate than a full size gun.

That being said a subcompact is def. easier to carry. I have a few guns that I carry and most of them are all subcompacts. I too have a Ruger LCP and it's a decent gun. It sucks to shoot but is easy to carry. I typically carry that, a Kimber CDP Compact, M&P Compact, or Airweight revolver.

I don't recommend Sigs because of the trigger group. Because of the long stroke and the angle of the trigger it causes you to curl your entire hand disrupting your trigger pull and causing many issues all over the place. They are reliable guns but not good for a lot of things.

CZ's are decent guns as well. A CZ-75 isn't a bad choice but they typically need trigger work. One problem with this platform is it's a DA/SA which aren't the best triggers. You want something that is consistent with EVERY pull. A tuned 1911 is the trigger all others are compared to.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    HK or Glock for semi-autos.

I would actually lean towards a revolver though myself for small back-up carry.

Quote Originally Posted by carter2186 View Post
    The 17,19,26 or 34 ? Anyone a fan of Rugers?
    My friend bought a Ruger SR9 last year, I have shot it alot. It's very light and slim, comes with 2 or 3 backstraps. It's a really nice gun for the price, I like the Springfield XD's, but they are a little bulky. I would definitely recommend this 9mm.

Thanks for the great info pete! So if you had to pick a handgun for mostly home protection and that is good to go at the fire range what would be your choice.. under $450.

Thanks for the great info pete! So if you had to pick a handgun for mostly home protection and that is good to go at the fire range what would be your choice.. under $450.

My first choice would be a full size M&P 9mm for sure. After that I would prob. get a CZ-75 9mm full sized followed by a Glock 34 or 17. I hate Glocks by the way because of the grip angle and the shape of the grips. They don't fit my hand at all and don't point well for me. However, they are very reliable and with a bit of work (trigger etc) are great guns for the money. The guy I've been training shoots Glocks and I give him crap all the time. He says I'm a gun snob... HAHA I guess he's right cause my competition guns are $5000 a piece.

These would be my choices and there are others out there. These are the guns that cominate the production division. Glock is first right now but the M&P is right on their tail. Don't forget the M&P has only been out for a few years now and Glock has been around over 20.

DOM6 is offline Member
    so is this for the range? your house or a target pistol? What is its purpose? cause they are completely different animals, I have a 40cal. Cx4 storm mini rifle 40.cal for my house, my Glock 26 9mm for my van and a keltec in my pocket for everyday carry, I like the 9mm more cause of follow up shots, ill shot all 10rds in a 1" group at 10yrds as quick as i can pull the trigger in 9mm but in 40 or 45 it takes way longer to get that accuracy with that much speed, 9mm has those golden sabers at 147gr 9mm or gold dot.
    The S&W M&P 9mm is a great gun even the compact is nice, not really a fan of ruger, cz, or kahr. XD's look nice but have heard some reviews on the trigger parts break often on some models, Glock is a great gun cause there is a million upgrades you can get for it and the resale value is imo the best also.

Main thing also for carrying is your holster, i have a Comp-tac, that is molded for my gun, its for quick draw, 2second rule
    Last edited by DOM6; 08-02-2009 at 03:31 PM.

PC650 is offline Senior Member
    glock is a underated gun bro. it performs better than my buddies 1000 dollar s&w

ok well its either down to a 9mm m & p or a glock. i have definitely decided to go with the 9mm since i am wanting something for self protect and the range. ammo wise what would yall recommend for the 9mm when it comes to self defense. Im wanting a round that is gonna stop someone hard.

also what do you think about the m&p .45?
    Last edited by C-MaN; 08-02-2009 at 04:24 PM.

DOM6 is offline Member
    ok well its either down to a 9mm m & p or a glock. i have definitely decided to go with the 9mm since i am wanting something for self protect and the range. ammo wise what would yall recommend for the 9mm when it comes to self defense. Im wanting a round that is gonna stop someone hard.

any of them are good, golden sabers, golddot, hordnay,
    imo go on ar15.com and look up ammo section and theres a fourm on 9mm carry ammo

Almost any of the carry ammo on the market is good. The M&P .45 is a decent choice but remember the .45 ACP ammo is much more expensive but for self defense is typically a better round. However, you're giving up a lot of capacity going to a .45 vs. a 9mm.

The problem with 9mm right now is that it is very difficult to find. Since the ammo/supply shortage everything has been tough to get. I reload my own ammo (not carry ammo) and I can't even get components. I've had 20,000 primers on backorder since November of last year. I shoot on average of 35,000 rounds a year which is a pretty good amount. This year has been the exception though as I haven't even shot 1/2 that. A new baby will do that to you. HAHA

Typically most .45's are easier to shoot than .40's as well. The .40 S&W round is a high velocity/high pressure round so the recoil is typically much more than a 9mm or .45. The .45 is a fairly slow moving bullet at around 850-900 fps vs about 1100 for a .40.

Western Man is offline Associate Member
    Sig sauer.

Thanks for all the help guys. Think Ive decided on the s&w M&P 9mm for now. And then down the road i will lay down some dough for a nice 1911!

Also thanks for the info on ammo dom6. This link is pretty informative. Figured id throw it up here for anyone interested.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm
    Last edited by C-MaN; 08-02-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Immortal Soldier is offline Anabolic Member
    Why do so many of you guys carry guns on you?

What are your professions?

Well I live in Texas and travel often leaving my wife alone at home. Also the way things have been lately in my town it doesnt hurt to have the means to protect yourself if need be.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Soldier View Post

Because we value our right to defend ourselves if something goes wrong. It's not an ego thing or anything like that. It gives you the upper hand if something goes terribly wrong and is the great equalizer. We carry in hopes that we NEVER need it.

Immortal Soldier is offline Anabolic Member
    Well I live in Texas and travel often leaving my wife alone at home. Also the way things have been lately in my town it doesnt hurt to have the means to protect yourself if need be.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"
    But it also increases the chances of accidents occurring or making a rash decision in a moment of anger or something.

I think that alot of people should not own and or carry firearms. You have to be a level headed individual who can act with compassion and realize how firearms can change everyones lives that are involved with them in a bad situation. Having a licensed gun in your place of residence in a secure location to protect you and your family our one of are rights. People who can not think clearly and who make "rash" decisions do not need to be in the posession of a firearm.
    Last edited by C-MaN; 08-02-2009 at 08:11 PM.

TITANIUM is offline “SIS PACIS INSTRUO PRO BELLUM”
    Blog Entries

Exactly.I am a 1911 collector.Para Ordnance,Colt Les Baer,Detonics,S&W.I have a M&P 9mm and 45.Best polymer frame pistol made.Glocks can't touch them.H&K USP's are great also.I would go with the M+P.You'll never have a jam, or malfunction.I carry a S&W 1911 I built myself, But I'm old school I guess....

Tjohn6231 is offline Associate Member
    I have a couple of pistols that are easy to conceal. I have a keltec p-11, and a Rossi .38
    I usually carry the p-11 9mm. Small gun thats reliable.

TITANIUM is offline “SIS PACIS INSTRUO PRO BELLUM”
    Blog Entries
    But it also increases the chances of accidents occurring or making a rash decision in a moment of anger or something.

According to mainstream media,You are true.But according to ATF statistics , your wrong. And the strange thing about it is that it is all public accessible information.I find that odd, but predictable.

Hunter is offline Grateful

I live in the country, cops would not be there in time to do shit.

Its my right.

I live in a high meth area and even tho my small town is relatively safe it still has tweakers, you never know where a cook lab is, who is dealing, etc

During school I work late hours and during the early year I ride my bike and dont want to get mugged etc.

At my job I carry large amounts of cash on me at times.

Lastly if it comes between my life, my fiances, family etc, I would choose there life over an attackers in a nano second.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member

i carry mainly because of my days working in corrections, not that i'm scared.. but i worked at a level 6 for a long time.. never know when somebody u got into it with passes u on the street.... though the few times i have run into people that i was over they are usually nice and friendly since i was not a dick head officer... but you do have inmates that want to act stupid and fight for no damn reason.. and i don't need to be out with my wife and daughters and see one that wants pay back for something ..

hope i never have to use it..
    Last edited by quarry206; 08-02-2009 at 09:08 PM.

mho
    mho is offline Member

Cor-Bon pow'r ball is the ammo you're looking for. http://gunblast.com/PowRBall.htm

Even though I think Glocks are over rated, I'd go with it over the M&P. Personally I prefer da/sa for carry over striker fire.

fb4life is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM View Post
    Exactly.I am a 1911 collector.Para Ordnance,Colt Les Baer,Detonics,S&W.I have a M&P 9mm and 45.Best polymer frame pistol made.Glocks can't touch them.H&K USP's are great also.I would go with the M+P.You'll never have a jam, or malfunction.I carry a S&W 1911 I built myself, But I'm old school I guess....
    love the 1911s!

Altoidmike is offline Junior Member
    I personally love the H&K .45 (Not the compact),

ninesecz is offline AR's Mass Monster
    Blog Entries
    I have an FNP 9mm works great super accurate up to 70yds( farthest target I have shot at) Also have a Ruger 40cal and want to get a S&W .500! shot one in vegas and the Power is just unbelievab! What state are you In.? Cause I am in new york and it is super tough! I actually do not even have my Permit up here! I had to transfer all of my weapons over to my father when I moved back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information