tryn2getripped is offline New Member

How do i get my new girlfriend to workout with me.

I cant get her to workout with me. Shes not like fat or anything but it would be nice if she worked out also. It would definitely turn me on if she would. So how do i do it? How did u guys get your girlfriends to workout? i dont want her to get fat cause she doesnt eat very well. I told that once she started to eat better and workout she would like it and wouldnt want to stop, but she doesnt seem to believe me. I made her stop smoking, cause thats a huge turn off for me, but she justwont work out with me. maybe i should get her a membership for christmas and make her go?

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    I don't have a girlfriend myself...but I thought I'd just say something.

First of all, getting her to quit smoking is a great thing. Big accomplishment there. The key here is to make her feel comfortable and very easy. Don't make it sound like you want her to workout for YOU or that she will get "fat". Things like that will just piss them off. Tell her that working out will just make her healthier, and tell her about it being a great aftertime...etc...

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Comprimise with her bro. In exchange for something that she would desire from you,, you would only ask the she works out with your for 2 weeks. And if she still doen't want too then dumb her that's a joke.

Just tell her these jeans make her look fat when she asks "Do those make me look fat?"

No on second thought, don't ever EVER do that! Unless you enjoy sleeping on the couch...

I guess you can't really force her to go to the gym... but maybe you could tell her it's a great chance to spend more time with ya... you could show her what it is you spend so many hours doing in that gym...

In the end you can only get her to do what she wants... remember, women are like cats... they own you

Red

Colibri is offline Banned
    Its her life, not yours. You may enjoy working out, who says she will?

i know i cant make her work out i would just like her to do it with me. I like red ketchups idea of telling her its a chance to spend more time with me. And since we go to different schools that may work. I also like the idea of compromising with her for something, i dont know what but i'll find something. And Colibri i hope your not trying to be a dick cause thats the way it sounds, if u arent then my bad but i know its her life, i didnt say i would force her to like it. thanks for the input, keep it coming. Also, she says that my arms turn her on, which shows that my gym work has been paying off, maybe i can use that to persuade her.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I won't allow any girl I am seeing to workout with me. There is nothing more distracting and frustrating then that situation. I am sure some couples can do it but that is my time.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    My girlfriend has been to the gym with me a couple of times, she goes to do her cardio thing and I go do weights so it's not that big of a distraction. I personally don't like it when she accompanies me... my gym has a big window on the upper floor which over looks the cardio theatre on the lower floor (all the equipment in the theatre faces away from the window). Nothin better than standing at that window in between sets looking down at fit girls on the treadmills jogging in that spandex! I am an ass man, I can't resist. Don't like my g/f catchin me lookin

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Your best workout partner will be at the same stage of development as you.

Try and get her to go with her friends... and allow them to ask you questions if they wish or get her a few sessions with a trainer.

Showing how interested you are in it rarely works because now it is a "you'd rather go to the gym than be with me" situation... But then you say, "Well, hon - I would also like to take time to shower in the morings too - will this also becaome a problem?" Then you fight and this and that... not sure where I am going with this... I'll just stop now...

ONE WORD.........

......................................HA.............

what the hell is ha? is it really that funny? i dont think it is. I really want her to workout wether its with me or not.

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Well....from a female point of view....if she really doesn't want to train... even if she starts going for you.....if she doesn't like it and doesn't want to do it for herself....she won't keep going. I used to play around with training...because other people wanted me to do it. It wasn't until I wanted to train for MYSELF....that I stuck with it.

Keep encouraging her....but don't push too hard. Maybe make a deal with her... I.E....if she works out for a certain time period...you'll do something special for her. Day at a spa, shopping trip, nice dinner at a fancy rest...

I loved training with my boyfriend. Watching his muscles move made me... uhhhhhh.... well you know. We had some great "cardio" after our workouts.

Good luck.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I could definitely understand why you want your gf to start working out. Just a better lifestyle as a whole. I think one of the main reasons i'd want a gf to workout is to just understand maybe a lil bit about why we BBers do it to such an extreme, there's a ton of ppl that think I ( and i'm sure everyone else here) are crazy and u can't explain it to someone who doesn't work out.

As far as working out with your GF, i'd never do that. I've seen guys try to do it, but i've almost never seen it work. I've only seen two couples ever sucessfully train weights together, and those were husband/wife deals, but i'm sure that sometimes even that type of relationship is tricky. If i was cutting and maybe doin some ole powerwalking that'd be about it for me as far as having a GF partner while training.

Like others have said, its almost impossible to tell anyone or make someone do something. I think the best idea would be maybe trying to get one of her friends that workout to maybe get her into it, of course gradually though.

JUST A JOKE TRYN.....BUT 'HA' IS TRUE......

...........its her bod and her mind set..sometimes the more you push someone esp girlfriends they tend to go the other way...the girl i was dating always wanted me to help her get more defined, help her in her work outs and etc..all the time we dated she went to the gym on an average 1.5x a week...there was every excuse not to go incl its raining,its too nice of a day to work out, i had to go to the mall, i over slept and just didnt make it, long day at work (btw she lived only like 5 min from the gym)..i just got tired of suggesting things to her. one of the first things i told her was look "you gotta up your cardio. 5 mins is just keeping the bearings lubed on the treadmill". so now i discourage her from going cause obviously she really dosent want to go to the gym..in short after a normal persons day job you cant push anyone to go do physical work for 1+ hrs a day and not get paid if their mind set isnt there...its a joke trying to get someone to work out that doesnt wanna be there. thus the word.....HA.....(BTW) we're not together anymore but we're still friends. her excuse factor in the gym was one of many indications of her not wanting to be open to diff things..
    Last edited by MR PHATT ASS; 12-21-2002 at 05:12 AM.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't want my girlfirend to work out with me. The gym time is my time... time to talk about other chicks, juice, money, football, and other men type stuff. She goes to a different gym, one with cardio classes.

Maybe I am just not "normal"....I don't know. But.....I trained with my boyfriend for over a year. I NEVER missed a day because I knew how he felt about the gym and the fact that he was sharing "his" time with me was very special. I will say that half my workout was lifting those 45 lb plates up and down (my biceps would hurt like hell after LEG day). It took me a while to get strong enough to spot him but I eventually got there. I went from a soft size 10 down to a hard size 4. He didn't suffer in the least by having a female as a partner.

At any rate....we used that time to grow closer to one another and to our goals in fitness. I think it can be a positive experience if you both want it. The key is.....she has to want it and be serious about it. If she doesn't want to change her body.......you are only going to frustrate yourself.

I just experienced your problem ... I started seeing a guy that said HE wanted to workout and get in shape. I had two GREAT training partners (yep...both men)...and I quit training with them to help him out. Well, that lasted for a few weeks and all of a sudden, he's too busy to go to the gym, too tired, too this too that. I just decided I can do it alone. I do have a new partner....a female ---my first female training partner ever....and I think she's going to do alright. She can't spot me when I'm under the heavy weights.....but she'll get there.

Sorry to go on so long.....

C.B.
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

Gymgirl is offline Female Member
    Ookay... What is it that is so frustrating and distracting about working out with a woman?

MDMA is offline Banned
    Estrogen in the gym messes up my chi. Especially if I know I'm being watched....

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    i have had this exact problem before. what it came down to is understanding.
    1) she didnt like lifting with me cause I was too intense. the old guy thing of : "PUSH IT! GET IT UP THERE YOU PUSSY!" just won't work. you need to be supportive, but not pushy when helping.
    2) she felt intimidated that I was throwing up 225 on bench for reps and she could barely get the bar. so, we stopped doing the same excersizes at the same time. ie, when Im doing bench, she may be doing tricep kicks. this also helped with moving weight on and off a bar.
    3) she felt stupid about working out. make the effort to teach and do it as if she was ~11. (not emotionally but knowledge-wise). maybe she doesnt know proper form for bench.
    4) she felt weak. once she started gaining strength problem solved. she LOVED lat pulldown for this reason. she started getting to where she actually needed to be held down.
    5) she didn't want to get muscular. I just showed her a copy of M+F hers, and then one of her favorite actresses and said "do they look too muscular? No? but they hit the weights religiously"

6) lastly. i said that it is a special thing for me. part of who I am. my life is: family (including her), school, training, everything else in that order. I just wanted to share a piece of me. kind of like when I watched her in a horse show. (pick your own special thing she does)

I hope this helps.

Because the presence of estrogen causes the OTHER BRAIN to kick in...and they can't think "straight"....

When I first started training with my boyfriend, I was in the same boat....struggled with the bar, luck if I could squat 50 lbs on the Smith and my FORM SUCKED. My boyfriend is very intense in the gym and insists on PERFECT form. There were a few times I was near tears I was so pissed off. BUT.....I kept at it and let my frustration fuel my fire and determination. Now...he's telling me I'm getting TOO big.

GO FIGURE.

Good luck with her. I honestly don't think you are going to get her in there to train for more than a few weeks (if that). It takes a special person to be determined to go day after day, week after week....work through pain of sore muscles, "icky" sweat" etc. On top of it....she may be worried that the other guys in the gym will laugh at her because she's "weak". I remember feeling that way when I started.....now they look at me like I'm a freak when I stack 6 or 7 plates a side on the leg press or I'm benching 165.

Originally posted by Commando_Barbi
    Because the presence of estrogen causes the OTHER BRAIN to kick in...and they can't think "straight"....
    That would make THEM the weaker sex, then...

LOL Agreed. Sad they can't focus on more than one thing at a time.

We still love you guys though...even if you are the "Weaker" sex.

THE WEAKER SEX........

.............a big "HA " on that...just kidding...anyone see that MTV wrestling special 'true life' of a prowrestler?? it was on a couple of yrs ago. they highlighted HHH and CHYNA when they were a couple and showed them training together..if i could have a training partner like that then i wouldnt mind working out with a girl or gf..but most women atleast around where i live at arnt that intense but if they were-COMMANDO BARBI i would love to watch my gf do legs and back and etc..watching her body grow....aaaahhhhh

fluffer is offline New Member
    lol you guys are bad ..new to the bord by the way......but all for all....she has to want to lose the lbs enough to join a gym with ya ....give her some complements then slip in ..."and with you and i working out together just think of how WE can better each other" .....tell her it would help you reach your goal if she were there to help you through it....(us women love to hear that) we love to feel needed ...and if she's a lil on the wild side just come out and tell her hey its a huge turn on for me......see how that works lol good luck

TY PHATT.....I was just getting ready to make sure it's the year 2002 almost 03. I can't believe any man on this board would make comments like....they are great in the gym as long as they stay in the cardio room...etc.

Get back in your caves...you beasts.

C.B.

i dont really care if she works out with me, i just want her to workout. I want her to be healthier and as saboudian said I want her to understand why i do it, and that all my dieting and working out like a mad man are very important to me. I am not going to force her, but i am going to still bring it up and ask her sometimes. Thanks for the input guys.

chinups Guest
    Duh man. You can't do that then you can't stare at other chics

Originally posted by chinups
    Duh man. You can't do that then you can't stare at other chics
    Not the reply I would expect from you chinups!

I was suprised by a number of the macho responses. Hmmmph.

Thread Information