ZoneBlitz is offline Junior Member

357. Mag + indoors = ?

So I'm out shooting skeet with a friend in this field, I'd say the size of a football field, this past Sunday. After a few hours of exploding clays with my Benelli, we start to pack up and get ready to get out of there. Now, just for shits and giggles I figure I'll take out my snubnose Titanium 357mag and go take a few shots into a nearby hill at a couple of tree stumps.

Now immediately upon pulling the trigger I came to realize that i had already removed my earplugs. I had completely forgotten. My left ear rang VERY loudly for a few seconds, followed by a slight buzz for hours. I can't believe how ridiculously loud a gun that small could be! My full size 1911 45acp isn't nearly as loud. I once fired that without earplugs as well.

If I were to ever use that snubby indoors for self defense, I'd expect the sound to basically shut my ears down, maybe permanently, to some degree.

Just figured I'd throw this out there in case there are some gun guys floating around here!

I feel like looking into a different caliber snubby for summer carry. Maybe a 44 special or something.

mho
    mho is offline Member
    Revolvers are always louder to the user because the cylinder and barrel are not sealed.

TITANIUM is offline “SIS PACIS INSTRUO PRO BELLUM”
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mho View Post
    Revolvers are always louder to the user because the cylinder and barrel are not sealed.

You did your homework.A 357 is a stout cartridge.So, even though a 45 is bigger, in a revolver or automatic, the powder charge is different.Burns at a different rate also.
    I wish I knew this much about gear and such.But I keep on reading and learning.Self education never ends...

mho
    mho is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM View Post
    You did your homework.A 357 is a stout cartridge.So, even though a 45 is bigger, in a revolver or automatic, the powder charge is different.Burns at a different rate also.
    I wish I knew this much about gear and such.But I keep on reading and learning.Self education never ends...
    I'm just a big fan of things that go bang

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The .45 ACP cartridge is a low pressure round esp. compared to a .357 magnum. That being said the higher pressure will be much louder. My competion .38 super loads are the loadest loads I've ever heard. It's a small bullet that is travelling almost 1400 feet per second.

In a self defense situation you most likely wouldn't hear anything when the gun fires. It's been documented hundreds of times that the shooter in such a situation doesn't remember hearing the gun fire.

RangersLTW is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    tell me why they invented the round?

Quote Originally Posted by RangersLTW View Post
    tell me why they invented the round?
    Which round?

The .38 super was developed to work in a 1911. It has the same Overall length as the .45 but is a smaller diameter round which allows for great magazine capacity.

The .38 super/9mm/.357/.38 special bullets are basically the same bullet head.

.357? came popular by__________ because of

The .357 was developed mostly by S&W because of the .38 super round. The super was one of the only bullets that was capable of penetrating cars and bulletproof vests but when the super was pushed to velocities much over 1000fps it created too much pressure. By making the case longer they could exceed the velocities needed for such high powerfactors much easier. S&W then beefed up their revolvers for this round which was what most police depts carried.

fbi.......hoover.......gangsters........oh well just messing around anyway.......good knowledge though

Quote Originally Posted by RangersLTW View Post
    fbi.......hoover.......gangsters........oh well just messing around anyway.......good knowledge though

Thanks man.... I'm what you would call a firearms junkie...

u that is how I make my living

Thread Information