Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    B-STRONG is offline Junior Member

Military Service Members - Help Needed

I've read several threads about members here who have served or are going to serve. In April of next year, I plan on signing a Ranger contract to try and become one of the Army's elite Special Operations Force members.

What I'm looking for (and I would greatly appreciate) is any kind of advice as to what training methods to employ between now and then. Cardiovascular stamina is a must, as well as core strength. I have scoliosis, so i'm hoping that will not disqualify me from anything.

Also, I take supplements for joint and tendon strength. Are these permissible in the military? I also have a prescription for propecia, which i would like to continue using, but I'm not sure it will be possible to do everyday with the Rangers (assuming I can hack it). Any advice on scrips and serving? Thanks for all the help guys, this is a huge decision in my life and I appreciate any and all the help I can get -

B-STRONG

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    just so you know, i have a friend who is a ranger, and they sent him back this summer a regular infantry man. he has served with delta force and everything. he was not happy. As far as supps go, I think they would love it if you were on steroids , so i wouldnt sweat something small like joint and tendon supps.

TITANIUM is offline “SIS PACIS INSTRUO PRO BELLUM”
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B-STRONG View Post
    I've read several threads about members here who have served or are going to serve. In April of next year, I plan on signing a Ranger contract to try and become one of the Army's elite Special Operations Force members.

What I'm looking for (and I would greatly appreciate) is any kind of advice as to what training methods to employ between now and then. Cardiovascular stamina is a must, as well as core strength. I have scoliosis, so i'm hoping that will not disqualify me from anything.

Also, I take supplements for joint and tendon strength. Are these permissible in the military? I also have a prescription for propecia, which i would like to continue using, but I'm not sure it will be possible to do everyday with the Rangers (assuming I can hack it). Any advice on scrips and serving? Thanks for all the help guys, this is a huge decision in my life and I appreciate any and all the help I can get -

B-STRONG

You won't have issues with scripts.You have my respect on what you want to do.Myself, as well as my entire family served at one time or another.Words of advice,try to keep your vest and gear on all the time.If you get to the sandbox, it's hot as hell.So people take there gear they are humping off.That's when they will engage you.Keep it on and drink alot of water.
    Good luck bro.
    Best
    Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04 View Post
    just so you know, i have a friend who is a ranger, and they sent him back this summer a regular infantry man. he has served with delta force and everything. he was not happy. As far as supps go, I think they would love it if you were on steroids, so i wouldnt sweat something small like joint and tendon supps.
    Thanks for the response! If you don't mind me asking, why was he sent back to regular infantry? I know of being dropped based on performance, but I'm assuming if you're buddy was delta force at one point, staying up to par (in a performance sense) in the Ranger regiment wouldn't be a huge deal...

Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM View Post
    You won't have issues with scripts.You have my respect on what you want to do.Myself, as well as my entire family served at one time or another.Words of advice,try to keep your vest and gear on all the time.If you get to the sandbox, it's hot as hell.So people take there gear they are humping off.That's when they will engage you.Keep it on and drink alot of water.
    Good luck bro.
    Best
    Titanium
    Fantastic advice, I'm a hyper alert individual, and plan on taking that "skill" (which at times seems like a detriment in the civilian world) over when I serve. I appreciate and have the utmost respect for you and every member of your family that has served this country. Thank you for your reply -

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    actually i wouldn't tell them anything about the propecia, they gave me shit about it. though they can not do anything about it, since it is cosmetic i would just keep it to yourself..

as far as what your plans on.. be alittle more detailed on what you want to do.. rangers and special forces are totally different on their missions and goals. and though alot of SF go to ranger school, going to ranger school is just a leadership course, being a ranger is something totally different.

what MOS are you going to sign for?
    plan on years in service?
    age.education?
    and any other stats you can give ...

RangersLTW is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    I would say ask a Ranger but where would you go to do that?

TITANIUM is offline “SIS PACIS INSTRUO PRO BELLUM”
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic advice, I'm a hyper alert individual, and plan on taking that "skill" (which at times seems like a detriment in the civilian world) over when I serve. I appreciate and have the utmost respect for you and every member of your family that has served this country. Thank you for your reply -
    It's my pleasure.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    thanks for your service..

endurance training is what you want to do..

20 rep range... good luck..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

get use to doing push-ups slow and fast.
    do alot of pull-ups/chin-ups
    flutter kicks and sit ups
    do things to get alot of shoulder endurance.

get use to running in boots, and in a full military uniform.
    get use to road marches. maybe plan one saturday a month where u start out earlier in the morning and walk 10-15miles, and get to where u can do it with a backpack (20-45lbs)

swiming is great cardio, and is something you are required to do.

i suggest when you do run, stop every half mile, or mile and do one muscle training activity, without taking a break get right back up and run..

also get a military handbook and start learning. things like first aide, weapons, feild training are all things you have to know in detail before being sucessful anywhere outside of a normal unit. the biggest thing people forget to work out is land nav.. if u have to buy a book and learn how to read a map,compass and plot a course. also try it a few times, because when u start doing course that points are miles apart 1 degree off will put you in a place that u won't find the correct point.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks for the response! If you don't mind me asking, why was he sent back to regular infantry? I know of being dropped based on performance, but I'm assuming if you're buddy was delta force at one point, staying up to par (in a performance sense) in the Ranger regiment wouldn't be a huge deal...
    He was never Delta Force, but went on missions with Delta at one point when he was a Ranger. I don't know if he performed poorly as a Ranger, but I honestly can't see that happening. Just giving you a heads up, so the same sh!t doesn't happen to you. He got the letter in the mail telling him to report for duty in April (His 3rd tour), and he was really pissed, because he said he wouldn't be serving with Special Ops, but regular infantry. I can tell you, though, that he really loved being a Ranger, so good luck.

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    I cant give you any advice as i was a 007 in MI5, if i did id have to kill you...

But good luck...

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Jenseno9 is offline Member
    I have also heard that you may even get your Ranger tag and but not serve as a Ranger because of the amount of Rangers. (too many I'd have to assume.) Or something very similar to that. I would check some military forums. I enlisted in the Marines May 1st, I leave Dec 7 for boot camp. I had actually met with an Army recruiter a few times. But all my friends had been Marines and even though the Army has some great bonus' I knew I would be upset with myself if I didn't join the Marines.

I'm not sure what you have in your area but I joined a Crossfit gym to get ready for boot camp. They are all about functional training. It's basically body weight stuff, metabolic conditioning, kettle bells, olympic lifting, running and rowing. With out running more than a 1 maybe 2 times a month I am able to run a 9:30 1.5 mile. Training crossfit I am also able do to 20 + pull-ups, and 80 sit-ups in two minutes. Another great program is the Monkey Bar Gym. They also have great work outs and have trained there as well. They both post free workouts on their sites. Crossfit programs in rest days though so be careful not to burn yourself out. And in almost all cases doing two a days is not better than 1 intense, focused workout.

http://secure.monkeybargym.com/full-body-workouts.html
    http://www.crossfit.com/

alex18 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD MATT View Post
    I cant give you any advice as i was a 007 in MI5, if i did id have to kill you...

But good luck...
    Matt - 00's are MI6 not 5....

binder is offline Member
    Don't tell them anything! Any prescription can get you disqualified. Right now they are looking for reasons to disqualify someone. Hopefully they do'nt catch the scoliosis because that is immediate disqualifier.

I served 6 years and just went through my full physical and airborne physical last week because i'm getting back in Special Forces (so i can then apply for the medical corp later). Best thing to do: deny deny deny. Don't even tell them you jammed a finger. No aches and pains, you sleep great, you've never had a headache. They will blow any ache and pain out of the water and waste your time making you see all these extra doctors for nothing at all. Do'nt tell them about a single broken bone unless you have surgical scars and hardware.

What MOS is a Ranger? 4 of my soldiers went into the rangers over the years. I wasn't aware they had a civilian contract into the Rangers. I only knew about the 18X which is Special Forces.

Good luck.

Iron_Pig is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alex18 View Post
    That why he got kicked out he could not remember which one he was in

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by binder View Post
    Don't tell them anything! Any prescription can get you disqualified. Right now they are looking for reasons to disqualify someone. Hopefully they do'nt catch the scoliosis because that is immediate disqualifier.
    that was my first thought, too.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    Don't worry about losing your hair ..... shave you head and worry about what you have left when you are a civi again. That will save you money!
    Last edited by paulzane; 08-05-2009 at 09:33 AM.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    OH Yeah! If they find out about the scoliosis ...... you are fcuked!!

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Cool that you want to be a Ranger, but take into consideration that they will most likely ship you off to some shithole to possibly die for nothing more than to line a select fews pockets.

I would think doing as much running and body weight excercises would be extremely beneficial. I wouldn't even worry about doing much weight training. Most of your training will be endurance and mental based.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alex18 View Post
    No lol, we only let you think that...

I must go, the world needs saving...

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Wow, there is some crazy info posted in this thread!

First thing to know and worry about is making it through the physical entrance into the armed forces. Many things can disqualify you, your spinal condition being one of them, depending on severity. The Docs there at MEPS are there to disqualify, not qualify you. Stop taking the Propecia, it's not going to be something you are going to be able to stick to through any of your training and the less meds you are taking, the better off you will be for now.

Next order of business is making it through basic training. Don't get so far ahead of yourself that you already have your mind set that you are going through Ranger school. Forget about any "contract" you sign telling you that you are going to be a Ranger. The bottom line is if you don't make it through Ranger school, you're not gonna be a Ranger- period. Take things one step at a time and concentrate on that task. Many soldiers try to become Rangers and many just don't make it for various reasons.

Regarding Rangers that get their tab and don't actually perform duties as Rangers- that's very common as many Soldiers go through Ranger school and don't actually serve with a Ranger Battalion. Even the Marine Corps sends Marines through Ranger school, as billets become available, and obviously they are not serving as Rangers. It's a tab, and has many different applications in your military career. You very well could make it through Ranger school and be a support person at Ranger Bat doing clerical duties, it all comes down to the needs of the Army.

Anyway, you have plenty of time to get physically ready for basic training. Concentrate on core strength, endurance, flexibility, and most importantly keeping your body healthy and strong. If you get the opportunity to go to Ranger school, go for it if you think you can mentally handle the challenge. I mean what's the point in doing something that you know you're not gonna make it through? One step at a time and you'll be fine.

And whoever said they won't care about you taking roids needs to get their head examined. You couldn't pick a worse time right now to be using juice in the military. They are following suit with the rest of the world cranking the screws down on people using. i wouldn't even consider that at this point.

Good luck

Doc M

Juturna is offline Banned
    Blog Entries

B-STRONG

First thing to know and worry about is making it through the physical entrance into the armed forces. Many things can disqualify you, your spinal condition being one of them, depending on severity. The Docs there at MEPS are there to disqualify, not qualify you. Stop taking the Propecia, it's not going to be something you are going to be able to stick to through any of your training and the less meds you are taking, the better off you will be for now.

Next order of business is making it through basic training. Don't get so far ahead of yourself that you already have your mind set that you are going through Ranger school. Forget about any "contract" you sign telling you that you are going to be a Ranger. The bottom line is if you don't make it through Ranger school, you're not gonna be a Ranger- period. Take things one step at a time and concentrate on that task. Many soldiers try to become Rangers and many just don't make it for various reasons.

Regarding Rangers that get their tab and don't actually perform duties as Rangers- that's very common as many Soldiers go through Ranger school and don't actually serve with a Ranger Battalion. Even the Marine Corps sends Marines through Ranger school, as billets become available, and obviously they are not serving as Rangers. It's a tab, and has many different applications in your military career. You very well could make it through Ranger school and be a support person at Ranger Bat doing clerical duties, it all comes down to the needs of the Army.

Anyway, you have plenty of time to get physically ready for basic training. Concentrate on core strength, endurance, flexibility, and most importantly keeping your body healthy and strong. If you get the opportunity to go to Ranger school, go for it if you think you can mentally handle the challenge. I mean what's the point in doing something that you know you're not gonna make it through? One step at a time and you'll be fine.

And whoever said they won't care about you taking roids needs to get their head examined. You couldn't pick a worse time right now to be using juice in the military. They are following suit with the rest of the world cranking the screws down on people using. i wouldn't even consider that at this point.

Good luck

Doc M
    Great advice above; one step at a time. There's a lot to accomplish before your in Ranger school.

Now, from my experience (1st Recon Bn, USMC - I've had many Ranger units attached to us overseas and in the states) I will try to help you for your pre-enlistment foundation.

Endurance - Count on running AT LEAST in 3-mile intervals and get your time BELOW 18 minutes. I'd run once a day for a week until you can start running 3-miles twice a day, slowly shortening time.

Ruck-runs - Get used to 45-lb sand bags on your back... And run. Again, 3 miles is key, but don't assume that's anywhere close to the max you'll be doing.

Hikes - 85-lb packs, + rifle. So... get a pack, 75-85-lbs and hold something while your hiking (about 8 lbs). This isn't just a leisurely, 3-mph walk. Extend your legs as far as you can, and practically run/jog. This will tire your legs out to no end, but it's necessary.

Crunches, at least 125 in 2 minutes.
    Pull-ups, at least 20.

Most of the Ranger training is calisthenics and core training. Get used to push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, arm circles, arm rifle raises.

Your going to get broken-off regardless of how hard you train, but heeding the above advice should help you get as prepared as possible.

Oh, when you think your ready to quit or walk, your not.

The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.

Good luck.

Wow. Some great information in this thread, so thank you to all who replied. To fill in a few blanks.

I am 25 years old and a graduate of an ivy-league school. I live out in Newport Beach, CA now, though I was in NY before. I currently work in finance, but have been an avid weightlifter/bodybuilder since I was 16.

As far as the Rangers go, I believe (and this is what I've researched and been told, so please don't take it as me being a "know-it-all") that there is an option 40 contract which guarantees the civilian applicant entry into airborne, then RIP after completing Basic and having a MOS. I know that Ranger School and being a ranger are totally different, one is being "ranger qualified," while the other is actually serving in the regiment (the scroll). That contract is what I would sign, which would essentially only key a spot for me on the track to serving with the rangers (thus being a ranger). Ranger school would be a bit further down the line (or when you're deemed fit by leadership). Also, if it helps to know, I was thinking of either a 4 or 8 year enlistment...

I'm willing to give up the propecia, because serving my country is more important than anything else, but you guys have made me a bit worried about the scoliosis. Currently I've been told no squatting or dead-lifting, but there is no surgery required and I seem to be ok (I've had an "S" shaped spine since my teen years). I imagine some of the longer hikes/marches/runs with backpacks would wear on my back a bit, but I'd be able to deal with the pain. Would this automatically disqualify me? What happens when you don't pass the physical? Do they not have access to my medical records which would show my "condition"?

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to offer your wisdom and advice (from those who have served as well as those who have knowledge of friends or whatnot), it means a ton to me seeing as this is something that will ultimately change my life

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    B-Strong, If you are worried about passing a physical for entry into the Army, you need to knix the idea of becoming a Ranger. I am not saying you couldn't handle it, but if you have issues with your back don't even bother going in to the Infantry much less the Ranger Batt. Don't take me wrong, go for it, I am just saying that you need to have a really strong back to be jumping and humping with some of the hardest in the Military.

You have it right on contract... you can get a contract that states as long as you pass Basic, Airborne, RIP, you can get assigned to a Battalion. Once in the Battalion you have to complete Ranger School before you are a full fledged Ranger. If you fail physical standards and or Ranger School, you will then be assigned to the 82nd Airborne Infantry to serve out your term.

Good luck, and it might be a little rough coming in at your age, but don't let me discourage you. Put your heart on it and do it. Lot's of good advice on here as far as the training and prep. Especially the running your ass off advice. If you really want to be a Ranger, you can...but you need to be ready to push yourself to limits you never thought possible and also be physically and mentally tough. Not just strong like a body builder, that won't take you too far... average weight when I was in was around 165.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    B-Strong, If you are worried about passing a physical for entry into the Army, you need to knix the idea of becoming a Ranger. I am not saying you couldn't handle it, but if you have issues with your back don't even bother going in to the Infantry much less the Ranger Batt. Don't take me wrong, go for it, I am just saying that you need to have a really strong back to be jumping and humping with some of the hardest in the Military.

You have it right on contract... you can get a contract that states as long as you pass Basic, Airborne, RIP, you can get assigned to a Battalion. Once in the Battalion you have to complete Ranger School before you are a full fledged Ranger. If you fail physical standards and or Ranger School, you will then be assigned to the 82nd Airborne Infantry to serve out your term.

Good luck, and it might be a little rough coming in at your age, but don't let me discourage you. Put your heart on it and do it. Lot's of good advice on here as far as the training and prep. Especially the running your ass off advice. If you really want to be a Ranger, you can...but you need to be ready to push yourself to limits you never thought possible and also be physically and mentally tough. Not just strong like a body builder, that won't take you too far... average weight when I was in was around 165.
    Thank you for the information and support. It distresses me a bit to hear you say this, seeing as I've never really thought about my back issue before. I guess when you push yourself beyond limits you thought possible, things like that become more of a prominent factor. I believe I have some serious soul searching to do...mentally I know I can do it, and I believe in myself (I hope that doesn't sound arrogant), but now I begin to question with all of the continuos physical rigors, if my body can hold up.

I'm assuming the physical is administered after the enlistment...if I decide to join, but somehow they figure out my scoliosis, am I relegated to a desk job of some sort? thanks again for all the help and info...

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you don't state that you had that prior to enlisting and they found out later, you would probably be discharged. That is not fact, but usually the Army doesn't want to pick up a tab for a disability on something later down the road, so they pretty much have that covered. Check into it, and while there are a lot of vets on here like myself, I am sure you can get some more sound/current advice from a military board. You will have folks on there that are still in the mix and know the medical questions...I have been out for 14 yrs now. Good luck brother. You have a bright future in front of you and don't put all your eggs in one basket.... become a better person no matter what!

Juturna is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    you guys have made me a bit worried about the scoliosis. Currently I've been told no squatting or dead-lifting, but there is no surgery required and I seem to be ok (I've had an "S" shaped spine since my teen years). I imagine some of the longer hikes/marches/runs with backpacks would wear on my back a bit, but I'd be able to deal with the pain. Would this automatically disqualify me? What happens when you don't pass the physical? Do they not have access to my medical records which would show my "condition"?
    If your back is noticeable, MEPS will disqualify you right on the spot. It'll be pre-enlistment anyways however I'm sure the Army will throw words at you about getting a 'waiver' which trust me, will mean you never serve in any Infantry or Ranger unit.

Also, why enlist if you have a degree? Go OCS.

On another note I forgot - rockinred is right if I understand him correctly. Being the most jacked, biggest guy won't account for a single thing. I was 150 during my entire enlistment (at 5'8'') and my entire unit was 'thin' from a bodybuilders' perspective. I'll tell you what though - we can hike for day after day though with over 100lbs worth of gear.

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I also don't want to sound like the voice of doom either, but you need to approach this from a realistic mentality. As mentioned above, they may very well DQ(disqualify) you on the spot if your scoliosis is moderate to severe. They don't want to take the risk of enlisting you and then having you become a medical discharge during the course of them breaking down your body. MEPS is somewhat thorough, but they will also use fancy buzz words to get the enlistment complete. If you hear the words "further evaluation" or "waiver", prepare yourself for a goat rope. You have two sides of the coin, the side that wants you to enlist and the side that wants to DQ you. Everyone is jockeying for position and calling in favors, etc., etc., etc. If you go the waiver route you are more than likely never going to see the Rangers, SF, CAG, all of those high speed units. You will be relegated to an MOS that requires more brain power than physical brawn and there is nothing wrong with that if you have your heart set on serving your country.

In my honest medical opinion, what I would do is two-fold. Do the soul searching now and not when you are at MEPS. If you want to go for it and roll the dice, do it full force and see where the ride takes you. Personally, I would seek out a Doctor who has a working knowledge of the military and the MEPS physical requirements and have a full spinal examination done, to include x-rays, flexibility threshold, and range of motion capacity. Yes, all fancy words for if your back is ****ed up or not and will it be able to stand up to the rigors of bootcamp, MOS training, jump school.....If that Doctor gives you a good to go then I would go into MEPS and see what happens. I will tell you your medical records may or may not be in the vast system of cyberspace. Not everyone is diligent about putting the medical records data into the system like its' designed and they likely will not get wind of it if you don't disclose it. Keep in mind, if you don't disclose it, there is always that chance you may get caught and discharged for various reasons. I'm not trying to plant the seed of paranoia, but as I mentioned earlier, you have to be prepared for all scenarios. They are going to ask you every retarded question that you can imagine and some Docs at MEPS will care more than others what answers you give. Just be prepared!!

If you were asking me as a friend, I would steer you in the direction of OCS and a career in the Army that will let you flex your brains a little more than your muscles. You could do the medical route (18D), INTEL, all kinds of cool guy stuff. Don't get so wrapped around the axle of being a Ranger that you don't look at every available option.

Just my two cents!! Regardless, good luck!!

Doc M

18D is ungodly hard to do.. not to sound like a know it all but 18D is the hardest MOS to get.

as far as the medical records go, it differs based on how hard they do or don't want to work for you.. but basicially you have to name your doctors on a sheet and before you go to meps if u realize it or not u sign giving them promission to look into any of your medical records they need to 95 times out of a 100 they never need or try to look at them.. but they can and will if they feel u are lying or they want to check on the status of anything they find..

in all honesty there is more to life than combat arms. and ya i served my time in it. and loved it, but its not a career or life time job unless u truly want the military to be your career.

as far as SF, Ranger, or any spec ops. they are great, and alot of fun. but truthfully there is other ways to get into that area without being a combat soldier. and though everybody wants to say they were some elite fighter. ask and look into how much time those elite units get with their family.. ask an SF soldier or ranger how many EX wife's they have.. its not a career choice for many.

I got pretty far in SF school before getting an injury that i choose to withdraw because of. and since have deployed with SF as just a support person. and let me tell you its some of the best times and worst times. but all and all if you are already looking at having problems before starting, i would suggest look into another feild of the military. in all honesty there is no shame at all.. none...

I went from being a combat arms and wearing a tab, to now i'm a 25B (IT- network programer) and i have no shame. because i get to go home to my wife and daughters, something that if i would have pressed on as a 18C i wouldn't have been able to do.. I have much respect for rangers and SF, but even they will admitt its not for everybody and its an ungodly hard life.
    Last edited by quarry206; 08-06-2009 at 09:06 PM.

RangersLTW is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    I liked the Rangers but I am also not married nor did I have any concern for seeong my family. If you are cold hearted and emotionless, go for it, if not pick another MOS that will be well suited for a civilian life. Combat medic is a good choice...you can tag along with the Rangers/SF for awhile then when you re-up just pick something else in the medical field .

CptAmericaX is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04 View Post
    just so you know, i have a friend who is a ranger, and they sent him back this summer a regular infantry man. he has served with delta force and everything. he was not happy. As far as supps go, I think they would love it if you were on steroids, so i wouldnt sweat something small like joint and tendon supps.
    haha I call bullsh*T on that and get IRONpig on this thread and he will tell you its BS 2, he must have got a dui or been a dumbass they dont kick out good dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc M View Post

Good luck

Doc M
    If you come in on a ranger contract rangerschool is not what its implying

irish_2003 is offline Associate Member

B-STRONG
    no offense, but I went thru RIP just after jumpschool and later ranger school....with any back problems you disclose you prob won't qualify......try carrying a 65lb rucksack for 12 miles in under 3 hours.....that's the expert infantry badge standard.....my platoon would usually do this every week or two after a jump and a mission.......

Quote Originally Posted by irish_2003 View Post
    no offense, but I went thru RIP just after jumpschool and later ranger school....with any back problems you disclose you prob won't qualify......try carrying a 65lb rucksack for 12 miles in under 3 hours.....that's the expert infantry badge standard.....my platoon would usually do this every week or two after a jump and a mission.......
    hahaha rip man that place can eat dick

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    Quote Originally Posted by derek7m View Post
    that was my first thought, too.
    even if they don't catch right away they will eventually when you go through all the physicals that your going to have to go through in your process to go through RANGER school and SFAS...good luck...

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    Ranger tab......

Quote Originally Posted by jenseno9 View Post
    i have also heard that you may even get your ranger tag and but not serve as a ranger because of the amount of rangers. (too many i'd have to assume.) or something very similar to that. I would check some military forums. I enlisted in the marines may 1st, i leave dec 7 for boot camp. I had actually met with an army recruiter a few times. But all my friends had been marines and even though the army has some great bonus' i knew i would be upset with myself if i didn't join the marines.

I'm not sure what you have in your area but i joined a crossfit gym to get ready for boot camp. They are all about functional training. It's basically body weight stuff, metabolic conditioning, kettle bells, olympic lifting, running and rowing. With out running more than a 1 maybe 2 times a month i am able to run a 9:30 1.5 mile. Training crossfit i am also able do to 20 + pull-ups, and 80 sit-ups in two minutes. Another great program is the monkey bar gym. They also have great work outs and have trained there as well. They both post free workouts on their sites. Crossfit programs in rest days though so be careful not to burn yourself out. And in almost all cases doing two a days is not better than 1 intense, focused workout.

http://secure.monkeybargym.com/full-body-workouts.html
    http://www.crossfit.com/

lol ranger school and sfas 2 completly different things good try tho

there are three tabs u can get in the US army.. well specaility tabs.

but just because you have one does not mean you are part of that unit, only that you went to and pasted that school..

ranger tab: leadership course and more advance infitanry tactics

specail forces tab: you actually went through and past all phases of getting a specail forces MOS and also pasted the langauge section for whatever group assigned to

Sapper tab: same basic concept as ranger tab but for combat engineers not infitanry.

having any one of those tabs do not mean you were a ranger or sapper.. usually the only way u will ever get an SF tab is if u were SF. for specail forces is not a school for people unless they are picking up the MOS the school is ungodly too long to send people just for fun.

cptamericaX stated a good point in a different thread a ranger has a scroll not a tab. and the scroll makes u are ranger or not... as far as sapper, that one is a hard one to explain because you have to be assigned to a sapper unit to be called a sapper, just like that rangers, but there are very few sapper units, so usually combat engineer companies will have slots inside the company for sapper qualified people. and since the slot is designed for a sapper to fill, you still hold the title even if not in a sapper unit... but it is a gray area.

SF tab usually is at times and depending where u are rare to see. (unless at bragg).. but since SF is an actual MOS not a title, most of the people wearing one are in or have been in an SF unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information