Thread: overclocking

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten

overclocking

who here has knowledge of overclocking computers. in a safe manner still. without going over board.

reason i as is i have a q8300 and want to ramp it up bit more.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Just got the Q9550 myself. OC'in it on air at 3.7 right now with temps under 60. Will be pushing 4 when i get time.

C2Q Q9550S
    ZALMAN|9700 LED
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P rev1.6
    4 Gig(2x2GB) CORSAIR DOMINATOR 1066 5-5-5-15 2T
    XFX 8800GTX Extreme 768MB 600/1900
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX

From what i hear the multiplier on that chip is low which makes OC'ing it a biotch. First you want to find out :
    Safe/stock vcore for chip
    Safe temps
    Then get programs to monitor them
    (i just coretemp and CPUZ-both free)
    Do the same for your RAM

Here is a nice beginners video to overclocking. It helps point a few important steps when overclocking. Mind you this is done on a gigabyte board so your settings might not be 100% the same but the idea is still the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IioSE...eature=related

P.S

NEVER OC from windows. Always go into the BIOS.

thanks dsm.

i have a gigabyte board. so should be good to see.

will let you know how things go

thai-lan is offline Member
    i think gigabyte mainboards have it as option in bios.. take a look at your bios then u will see overclocking options

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    I don't really see a reason to overclocking the computer. I do however overclock my video card but that is a different story. My computer is very quick and effecient and there is no reason for me to do it just to get a unnoticable speed improvement.

im sure if you had quad core 2.6ghz cpu you would love to overclock it to 4.0

yeah mines an 2.5 q8300 want to get 3.5ghz safely if possible

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro View Post
    I don't really see a reason to overclocking the computer. I do however overclock my video card but that is a different story. My computer is very quick and effecient and there is no reason for me to do it just to get a unnoticable speed improvement.

i don't have a real reaon either. apart from running 11+ virtual machines at once.

also got 8gb ram. total over kill,

it just for fun.

Blog Entries
    CPU chips are proven to run just as efficient at higher speeds. The manf purposely down-clocks the CPU to help longevity of the chip. You might say to your self "well hell i want my chip lasting longer" but at what cost ?

Say i buy chip A that is 100 bucks and runs at 2.0 GHz but i am also looking at chip B which is 300 but runs at 3.0 GHz. Now i game a lot so i could really use the extra power but i really can't afford it.

Solution. Buy chip A and overclock it over 3 GHz. Now not only have you saved 200 bucks but you also have a faster chip. See my point ?

I have had OC'ed chips last year but just like anything else if you don't do it properly then you run the risk of damage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t-gunz View Post
    i don't have a real reaon either. apart from running 11+ virtual machines at once.

also got 8gb ram. total over kill,

it just for fun.
    Whats you OS ? You do know Xp only suppose 3.75 and Vista32 only supports 4 gigs. So everything else is kinda wasted memory.

yup. 64bit ultimate.

i don't think they'd let me complete my diploma in network engineering if didn't know that.

glad they don't ask about over clocking. lol

still no go yet.

i was reading that i would need more cooling? whats your thought dsm?

yeah when you overclock it , the cores work faster and they start overheating so as they over heat you gotta cool it down or you will have a fried chip for meal #7 .

Blog Entries
    yup. 64bit ultimate.

i don't think they'd let me complete my diploma in network engineering if didn't know that.

glad they don't ask about over clocking. lol

still no go yet.

i was reading that i would need more cooling? whats your thought dsm?
    Cooling and knowing what safe temps are a MUST.
    Your going to need to look into aftermarket heatsinks that fits your CPU.

I just built a system with a socket 775 here

I went with the Zalman 9700LED heatsink

When looking at heatsinks just make sure you have enough room inside your case for it. Some of them are rather large.
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 08-08-2009 at 04:32 AM.

yes that is large i assume i would have extra space. well i'm not rushing anything i'm reading all about overclocking.

what temps do your comp sit at when doing a bench mark
    what benchmark do you use ?
    and temperature program?
    and temp?

Blog Entries
    yes that is large i assume i would have extra space. well i'm not rushing anything i'm reading all about overclocking.

what temps do your comp sit at when doing a bench mark
    what benchmark do you use ?
    and temperature program?
    and temp?
    My idle temps are
    33 , 31, 32 , 34

For CPU benching i use Prime95
    (http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103)

I use CoreTemp 0.995
    (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/)

When CPU is at full load non of the CPU's goes past 60. Now temps for every CPU are different. My safe temps are as high as 73.

You CPU specs are here
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLB5W

I find if you have to overclock your computer you are not running your computer effeciently enough. I game as well and have no problems what-so-ever and most of the time your cpu is not the bottleneck in the computer when you have top duel cores or mid end quad cores.

Blog Entries
    I find if you have to overclock your computer you are not running your computer effeciently enough. I game as well and have no problems what-so-ever and most of the time your cpu is not the bottleneck in the computer when you have top duel cores or mid end quad cores.
    Well congrats on wasting your money on overpriced chips.

My chip is a Duel Core e6850 3.00gig and it certainly wasn't every much at all cost wise so I don't see the problem?

xo3et is offline Productive Member
    Incorrect, CPU is normally the bottleneck. Majority of games dont utilize dual/Quad core CPU's. Its the pure grunt of MHZ from the CPU which give the major performance increase, along with properly configured ram.

Buying mid range hardware is pretty much the key especially with CPU's. The majority of mid range CPU's can perform equal to an extreme version when overclocked with no reduction in life. Basically a mid range CPU could of been binned as an extreme version, the manufacturers have more demand for mid range equipment so what would have been an extreme CP could make its way to a mid range bin with of course its locked multiplier.

Overclocking is the way forward, its not about running your system efficient its about saving money and getting the best performance you can from your hardware.

Respect

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    My idle temps are
    33 , 31, 32 , 34

For CPU benching i use Prime95
    (http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103)

I use CoreTemp 0.995
    (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/)

When CPU is at full load non of the CPU's goes past 60. Now temps for every CPU are different. My safe temps are as high as 73.

You CPU specs are here
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLB5W

thanks dsm.

my safe temp is not fat off from yours which i assume it shouldn't be far off.

thanks for the links i joined a nerd overclocking site to read about o/c. lol

just ran a stress test not o/c for about 2 mins and core 4 went to 70c. crazy. will need more sufficient cooling

Blog Entries
    My chip is a Duel Core e6850 3.00gig and it certainly wasn't every much at all cost wise so I don't see the problem?
    here is a perfect example. When i was shopping for CPU's i was looking at two chips:
    Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
    Q9650 @ 3.0 GHz

At the time when the two chips were first released the Q9650 was 230 bucks MORE than the Q9550 ! For just that little bit of extra power it cost that much more . There are also other slight changes between the two but nothing significant IMO .

So instead of putting out 230 extra dollars, just buy the Q9550 and OC pasted the Q9650. See my point now ?

My Q9550 is easily running 3.7GHz and stable.
    Last edited by DSM4Life; 08-09-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    thanks dsm.

my safe temp is not fat off from yours which i assume it shouldn't be far off.

thanks for the links i joined a nerd overclocking site to read about o/c. lol
    I belong to two of them

www.ocforums.com
    forums.extremeoverclocking.com

Blog Entries
    just ran a stress test not o/c for about 2 mins and core 4 went to 70c. crazy. will need more sufficient cooling
    Yea you def have a cooling problem. Chip should not be getting that hot at stock settings within 2 mins of a test.

Also check out
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Good for giving you all current info (chips speed / vcore / memory speeds) from within windows.

xo3et you clearly got some things wrong in your logic.

As quoted "Incorrect, CPU is normally the bottleneck. Majority of games dont utilize dual/Quad core CPU's. Its the pure grunt of MHZ from the CPU which give the major performance increase, along with properly configured ram"

The thing is most new games out now utilize duel core but slowly getting into quad cores. The above information given is incorrect. Cpus are not the bottleneck on a computer. I am not saying they help but the way things are going cpus are much more advanced then they were before hand and they are more then enough for everyones needs. You are forgetting a important aspect to building a computer. Hard-drive speed is just as important as anything else. Sure you can have a high end cpu and high end ram(it is like having a big ripped man) however he isn't very smart how is he going to be able to react quickly if his mind is slow.

As quoted "its not about running your system efficient"

Hmm not about running your system effieciently...hmm so you are saying that having your computer full of viruses,spyware,services running that are not needed,a huge startup list, full of windows bloat programs is going to help out your speed! People don't understand how quickly your computer will run without such things being used. For example take two car that have v6's with 300hp and 300tor all with good transmissions, everything primed except one weights 4000 pounds and the other weights 3000 pounds. The 3000 pound car is going to get better results by far.

gigabitbucket is offline Associate Member
    I have to agree, with the price of gear , too cheap to risk overheating the board for minimal increase in speed.

But, it is fun to play with

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabitbucket View Post
    I have to agree, with the price of gear , too cheap to risk overheating the board for minimal increase in speed.

But, it is fun to play with
    Yea because who wants to save 230 bucks.

There isn't that much of a difference between cpus....230....common really. I have been putting computers together since it is my career and there is no way the difference is 230 maybe like 50 bucks for the next bigger one and in the long run if you do overclock it you will be faster then the previous one. I am not putting you down at all just stating a point.

Blog Entries
    There isn't that much of a difference between cpus....230....common really. I have been putting computers together since it is my career and there is no way the difference is 230 maybe like 50 bucks for the next bigger one and in the long run if you do overclock it you will be faster then the previous one. I am not putting you down at all just stating a point.
    I know isn't a big difference in performace, only the price. Here is intel price list. Again, this is the main reason i overclock.

Where is that information from? One year outdated and there for desktops not just the cpu.

gigabitbucket is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I know isn't a big difference in performace, only the price. Here is intel price list. Again, this is the main reason i overclock.

old list , old prices.

just not worth the effort.
    Maybe 5 to 10 years ago , it was worth the trouble, now , go out and buy new gear.

Blog Entries
    Are you guys reading what im writing ?

I said this was the price WHEN THEY WERE FIRST RELEASED.

I know the prices have changed i am listing this list to help prove my point. Look at the performance VS cost, it doesn't make sense. You think Intel has changed their ways ? Nope. Today the same goes for these "extreme chips." They just aren't worth all the extra cash.

Yes I know they are not worth it so I don't buy them that high

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    i'm going to catch hell probably... but thats why i'm am AMD man.. cost for speed and what you can do for the same dollar.. AMD is better for me.

but i'll admit the high end intel chips are better. but we are talking about a difference of 900 dollars

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    i'm going to catch hell probably... but thats why i'm am AMD man.. cost for speed and what you can do for the same dollar.. AMD is better for me.

but i'll admit the high end intel chips are better. but we are talking about a difference of 900 dollars
    I use to only buy AMD. I believe AMD use to be ahead in the CPU world but over the past few years i feel they been lagging behind.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    i'm not a "gamer" i mostly only care about multi-tasking and some of the higher end software that I need for work.

I do agree intel has better chips, its IMO for the price range I look at for my home computers AMD chipsets have more "bang for buck"...IMO the processors bus set up is just better on the mid-range models. and though intel has found ways around it for their mid range to high end models.. u are still talking about a major price difference

AMDs high end chip is 285 USD and intels are over 1K.. and though I agree intels high in beat AMDs high end. at the same time unless you are wanting a true super machine, are you willing to pay that extra money for no seriously major difference except for people running high end software to begin with.

^ Yes if your needs are satisfied with another company then go for it. I never see a problem with that. I never liked Nvidia but I sure like Ati.

Blog Entries
    ^ Yes if your needs are satisfied with another company then go for it. I never see a problem with that. I never liked Nvidia but I sure like Ati.
    I use to only buy Ati but recently switched to Nvidia and i like their cards a lot so far.

Thread Information