C-MaN is offline Senior Member

bigger caliber? ? ? ?

Hey guys, some of you might remember my thread a while back about which hand gun to get. Well i went with the smith and wesson m&p 9mm and i love it. Only problem is ive been to the range about three times already and im going again at 2 today. I want more power! ! So im going to try out a couple different guns at the range today.. any suggestions? I am think about trying either the s&w m&p 45 or the 1911.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    My fav round is a .40
    I think it's best for use tactical purposes. 45 too powerful and slow... 9 too fast small and thin, you are likely to shoot right through a target.

ni4ni is offline Pharmaceutically Enhanced
    50 BMG...will give you all the power you need

mho
    mho is offline Member
    If you're looking for power in a semi auto, .45 is just right. If you're looking for a revolver, try out a .44 mag.

ya im looking at the 45 i just dont know which to go with... the s&w M&P or the 1911..

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    my 1911 .45 is my favorite gun I own..

but the truth is the best firearm caliber is the one you shot the best with and feels the best will drawing and in your hand.

though not a big fan of 9mm, they are perfectly fine weapons if that is what you shot best with. .38 snub nose's are very nice also.. So it all depends on your hand, how you shoot, how well you shoot. and what your real level of fear.

if you are just scared being robbed, to be honest a 9mm with good rounds in it will grab and rip thro anybody trying to get to you.... if you are somebody that goes outdoors alot, I prefer a .45 because wild boar will charge you.

just remember, according to numbers a .22 caliber kills more people every year than any other weapon. so size isn't everything.

CMonkey is offline Associate Member
    I have a .454 Casull, love the hell out of it. Plenty of power. Little hard on the hand after about a dozen shots.

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    my 1911 .45 is my favorite gun I own..

but the truth is the best firearm caliber is the one you shot the best with and feels the best will drawing and in your hand.

though not a big fan of 9mm, they are perfectly fine weapons if that is what you shot best with. .38 snub nose's are very nice also.. So it all depends on your hand, how you shoot, how well you shoot. and what your real level of fear.

if you are just scared being robbed, to be honest a 9mm with good rounds in it will grab and rip thro anybody trying to get to you.... if you are somebody that goes outdoors alot, I prefer a .45 because wild boar will charge you.

just remember, according to numbers a .22 caliber kills more people every year than any other weapon. so size isn't everything.
    Size isn't everything for guns maybe! I hear that if you get shot with a 22 in the leg, it bounces around your body and shit, and can end up in your head if you're unlucky. This realistic?

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by sizerp View Post
    Size isn't everything for guns maybe! I hear that if you get shot with a 22 in the leg, it bounces around your body and shit, and can end up in your head if you're unlucky. This realistic?
    unlikely, it would have to find a carrier vessel for that to happen

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    unlikely, it would have to find a carrier vessel for that to happen
    K Phate :P Thx brah.

TITANIUM is offline “SIS PACIS INSTRUO PRO BELLUM”
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    My fav round is a .40
    I think it's best for use tactical purposes. 45 too powerful and slow... 9 too fast small and thin, you are likely to shoot right through a target.

That is a popular misconception, I find.

40 cal is a cut down 10 mm. The cartridge colt couldn't get to catch on.

40 is good.I'll take a 45 cal hydra-shock over the 40 hands down.

Carried 45's in the service.

When the military went to the 9mm, it was a mistake.

Alot of special forces, FBI, and others , carry 45.

Why?

Because John Moses Browning designed the cartridge for the war in fighting the Aborigines.

38's weren't cutting it, and putting them down.

Would you want to get hit with a golf ball, or a bowling ball?

45's don't over penetrate either.

40's are still really fast.

Too fast. Loaded with heavier bullets to slow down the velocity helps alot.

45's are a fight stopper.

Seen it close up and personal.

Hope this helpsyou out.

I'm a 1911 man myself.

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM View Post
    That is a popular misconception, I find.

40 cal is a cut down 10 mm. The cartridge colt couldn't get to catch on.

40 is good.I'll take a 45 cal hydra-shock over the 40 hands down.

Carried 45's in the service.

When the military went to the 9mm, it was a mistake.

Alot of special forces, FBI, and others , carry 45.

Why?

Because John Moses Browning designed the cartridge for the war in fighting the Aborigines.

38's weren't cutting it, and putting them down.

Would you want to get hit with a golf ball, or a bowling ball?

45's don't over penetrate either.

40's are still really fast.

Too fast. Loaded with heavier bullets to slow down the velocity helps alot.

45's are a fight stopper.

Seen it close up and personal.

Hope this helpsyou out.

I'm a 1911 man myself.
    My roomy's dad sleeps with a .45 1911 too. He swears by it.

just got back and i shot a 1911. Its my new favorite handgun thus far!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carter2186 View Post
    just got back and i shot a 1911. Its my new favorite handgun thus far!
    It balances naturally in the hand, due to the grip angle.

And it's low bore line makes it more controlling than other 45's.

JMB was the Albert Einstein of firearms design.

A true mechanical engineer to the fullest .

gymnerd is offline Senior Member
    Self defence .45 acp jhp. It will make a big ass hole and not shoot through that much stuff like a magnum would which is a hunting round anyways. As far as target shooting I like that 9mm you got there I stopped shooting my .45 when I got my 9mm and its plenty of power IMO get some gold dot LE rounds G2G

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gymnerd View Post
    Self defence .45 acp jhp. It will make a big ass hole and not shoot through that much stuff like a magnum would which is a hunting round anyways. As far as target shooting I like that 9mm you got there I stopped shooting my .45 when I got my 9mm and its plenty of power IMO get some gold dot LE rounds G2G
    If you need more that 5 rounds, your already in a conflict you can't control.

That's why I carried a 45 in the service, and that's why I carry one now.

It's not a opinion, it's a fact.

9's are great for a back up piece, but a 45 is just a superior round for self defense.

And if your having velocity issues, then 185 gr.+p rounds have no equal.

The Deuce is offline Anabolic Member
    That is why I converted my Glock from a .45ACP to a .50gi !!! And have not been happier with my Glock.. Mind you I hated my glock's up until this point... NOW... I have this round that shoots perfectly.. and when it hits ... IT HITS !!

Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911's and wouldn't trade em for the world but GUYS.. This .50gi is definitely 100times funner to shoot than my .50AE which I KEEP BESIDE my bed mind you.. MY DE does not leave my Bedroom.. hasn't left my bedroom in seriously 9 months..

My .50gi though is my small of my back carry weapon, along with my dual Kahr P380's in my ankles for back up's... My 1911 rests comfortably in it's nice shoulder holster and of course.. I keep the Dual 9mm M&P's in the front waist band holster's specifically designed for maximum comfort-ability. Yes on some occasions I have 62 live rounds on me at all times.. It's kinda ridiculous.. but I feel safe.. Hahaha ... ok so I only have all these on me when doing Security.. normally i just take the Glock and the Kahr's.. but when I am fully geared up.. I feel ... I feel... UNSTOPPABLE.. Hahaha I love GUNS !!! Titanium.. lol.. You know this bro...

But seriously Bro's if you own the glock 20/21... go get the 50gi Conversion.. it is so friggen awesome !! So worth it !!! Definitely one of my fave buys in the past 3 months...

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deuce View Post
    That is why I converted my Glock from a .45ACP to a .50gi !!! And have not been happier with my Glock.. Mind you I hated my glock's up until this point... NOW... I have this round that shoots perfectly.. and when it hits ... IT HITS !!

Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911's and wouldn't trade em for the world but GUYS.. This .50gi is definitely 100times funner to shoot than my .50AE which I KEEP BESIDE my bed mind you.. MY DE does not leave my Bedroom.. hasn't left my bedroom in seriously 9 months..

My .50gi though is my small of my back carry weapon, along with my dual Kahr P380's in my ankles for back up's... My 1911 rests comfortably in it's nice shoulder holster and of course.. I keep the Dual 9mm M&P's in the front waist band holster's specifically designed for maximum comfort-ability. Yes on some occasions I have 62 live rounds on me at all times.. It's kinda ridiculous.. but I feel safe.. Hahaha ... ok so I only have all these on me when doing Security.. normally i just take the Glock and the Kahr's.. but when I am fully geared up.. I feel ... I feel... UNSTOPPABLE.. Hahaha I love GUNS !!! Titanium.. lol.. You know this bro...

But seriously Bro's if you own the glock 20/21... go get the 50gi Conversion.. it is so friggen awesome !! So worth it !!! Definitely one of my fave buys in the past 3 months...
    Haha that's insane man... 62 rounds.

You're strapped fo sho. All you need is a bazuka now.

Bull_Nuts is offline Junior Member

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deuce View Post

You know it bro!!!!

When I move out of this state, I'll going to get my class 3 lic.

Have a FFL, but not for full auto's.

Hopefully enough people wake the F*CK up and over through this obamanation.

Time will tell.

PS- the GI 50 is a blast I heard! ENJOY!!!

gunslinger2 is offline Associate Member
    The 9mm is a fine round as long as you pick your load carefully. I load my Kahr K9 and Glock with Cor-bon 115 gr JHP. IMO its the best round in that caliber. If you go with the .40 you will have a little more power but you will also have more muzzle blast and recoil. Same with the .45.

As for the 1911, you could not pay me to carry one.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Well I say that if you are just buying for home protection all are good... a lot of the technical talk here refers to service usage, where you can find yourself in a gunfight. If you are just gun collecting that is cool...try a shooting range and test a few different ones out. the 1911 is always good, but a good one will cost you a pretty penny and it can be overkill for just some home defense...gun collecting or service gun is a whole different story when it comes to the cost $$.. good luck.

Thread Information