ninesecz is offline AR's Mass Monster
    Blog Entries

Bigorexia Who Else Has it??

Anyone else feel they have this??? Seems like I keep getting bigger and in my mind I feel like I am the same size I was 5 years ago.. I know it is not possible and tape measures don't lie but what a bunch of crap!!
    I bet i could be as big as a pro and still feel small!

Being preoccupied with muscle development may involve a disturbance in body image similar to anorexia. Bigorexia (muscular dysmorphia) is now affecting hundreds of thousands of men. For some men muscle development is such a complete preoccupation that they will miss important events, continue training through pain or broken bones, even lose their job rather than interrupt their physical development schedule. Curiously, these same men are not in love with their bodies. Despite a well developed physique they are unlikely to show it off and will shy away from situations that expose their bodies.

Muscle Dysmorphia
    The term 'muscle dysmorphia' was coined in 1997 to describe this new form of disorder. Other people refer to the condition as 'reverse anorexia', and now more commonly 'bigorexia'. The causes are not known but two key ideas revolve around bigorexia as a form of obsessive compulsive behavior and secondly, the effect of the media putting the same type of pressure on men to conform to an ideal shape as has been the case with women for years.

The Main Characteristic of Bigorexia
    The main characteristic of bigorexia is the thought that no matter how hard you try your body is never muscular enough. The condition is recognized as more common with men although some women body builders have also been reported with similar symptoms. Most men with bigorexia are weight lifters, but this does not mean that most weight lifters are bigorexic. Compared to normal weightlifters who report spending up to 40 minutes a day thinking about body development, men with bigorexia report being preoccupied 5 or more hours a day thinking their bodies are under-developed.

With the increase in gymnasium provision and attendance there is some speculation that this alone accounts for increased awareness of physical imperfection in men and a quest to attain the perfect body. Conservative estimates put bigorexia as affecting hundreds of thousands of men.

playboii is offline Senior Member
    i totally agree with you.. i deff suffer from bigerexia lol...everyone in my gym tells me how good i look and that i should compete but i always tell myself that im not good enough yet..and the next yr i keep saying the same thing...

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    I still feel like I weigh 150lbs

vingtor is offline Associate Member
    i say when i get 220 and ripped ill be fine, but i know ill wanna be 250 and ripped, and than 270... its tough. i just wanna look like flex lewis.

TITANIUM is offline “SIS PACIS INSTRUO PRO BELLUM”
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ninesecz View Post
    Anyone else feel they have this??? Seems like I keep getting bigger and in my mind I feel like I am the same size I was 5 years ago.. I know it is not possible and tape measures don't lie but what a bunch of crap!!
    I bet i could be as big as a pro and still feel small!

Being preoccupied with muscle development may involve a disturbance in body image similar to anorexia. Bigorexia (muscular dysmorphia) is now affecting hundreds of thousands of men. For some men muscle development is such a complete preoccupation that they will miss important events, continue training through pain or broken bones, even lose their job rather than interrupt their physical development schedule. Curiously, these same men are not in love with their bodies. Despite a well developed physique they are unlikely to show it off and will shy away from situations that expose their bodies.

Muscle Dysmorphia
    The term 'muscle dysmorphia' was coined in 1997 to describe this new form of disorder. Other people refer to the condition as 'reverse anorexia', and now more commonly 'bigorexia'. The causes are not known but two key ideas revolve around bigorexia as a form of obsessive compulsive behavior and secondly, the effect of the media putting the same type of pressure on men to conform to an ideal shape as has been the case with women for years.

The Main Characteristic of Bigorexia
    The main characteristic of bigorexia is the thought that no matter how hard you try your body is never muscular enough. The condition is recognized as more common with men although some women body builders have also been reported with similar symptoms. Most men with bigorexia are weight lifters, but this does not mean that most weight lifters are bigorexic. Compared to normal weightlifters who report spending up to 40 minutes a day thinking about body development, men with bigorexia report being preoccupied 5 or more hours a day thinking their bodies are under-developed.

With the increase in gymnasium provision and attendance there is some speculation that this alone accounts for increased awareness of physical imperfection in men and a quest to attain the perfect body. Conservative estimates put bigorexia as affecting hundreds of thousands of men.

Interesting post.

I think that, when on gear, your focused more.

When you are off, you feel like your shrinking.

It's a deffinite state of mind.

Trying to keep your gains is always a concern.

Guess it can start to consume you.

I would have put myself in this catogory when I was in my 20's.

Now, in my 40's, just trying the best I can to keep in decent shape.

Looking forward to the next cycle.

ninesecz is offline AR's Mass Monster
    Blog Entries
    O know i have got it because befroe I started my cycle I was like.. I will start wearing my muscle shirts a few weeks into my cycle.. now i am a few weeks into my cycle and i still do not want to!

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I totally have it. My arms got up to 19 inches from around 17 a while ago and i dont feel like ive seen any change. I know they are bigger and stronger but i dont see it.Truthfully though over the last couple months i think i have started to overcome this condition lol because i feel like im starting to look bigger overall

ranging1 is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree with u

the bigger i get, the smaller i feel, the more u gain, the more u want

but ay dw, at least u know ur bigger then most people around u

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    I do...

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    I def do not have this because I could not give a fvck how big I get.
    I may actually have anorexia cause I'm always more concerned with not having fat on my body rather then having mass.

But I could be happy at a lean 165-170lbs. Really not greedy at all, just never eat enough.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yup it sucks. I keep thinking am I getting smaller???? but then my daughter and friends will say how much bigger I look or my arms are the size of my daughters legs lol.

Sometimes I look in the mirror and think OK not bad but most of the time it's Hmmmm no size

Bojangles69 is offline Banned
    Whats funny is women will just sit around and bitch about the way they look "oohh my thighs are getting fat" but we are in the gym 24/7 busting our asses to have g/looking thighs...

... maybe its really us who have the vaginas? god look at this thread lmao

CMonkey is offline Associate Member
    My wife and friends say that I look great and I don't think I do, so I know I have it. I have 30lbs. to go to hit my goal and when I get there I know it won't be enough. I don't see it as a bad thing, I consider it motivation.

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    we all feel small...

TRT,MAN is offline Member
    i have it, its never good enough for me. i always want more. been like that for years.

Oh but I never have it when I look at my Penis, it's HUGE...... LOL

OK I had to say it before someone else did

Friend is offline Live every week like it's shark week
    I feel no bigger than when i started even though i have gained 45lb. I hope i never feel big, it's feeling small that drives me to train hard.

GuybrushThreepwod is offline Associate Member
    I never even realized this existed! I can see that I have it though. Despite the fact that I have a fat stomach, I'm always afraid to cut because I don't want my muscles to shrink!

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Seems most of us have it,,, or at least the need to be bigger, at 228lb i feel small, only when i stand right next to someone do i feel big.

hugovsilva is offline Anabolic Member
    I feel ya. I am 25kg heavier than when I started bodybuilding, and still feel the same size.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I think most bodybuilders feel this way, I have for many years and I was governed by the scales how heavy I was, in my early days I had to gain weight all the time, I even woke up during the night to eat and put more food inside and hopefully reach my target!! As time came on i understood its not all about how much the scales say but rather how you look, dropping my bf made me look even bigger and it did help with this whole mental belief.

I personally think you have to try and be as healthy as possible because it doesnt matter how big your coffin is!

It does seem like a endless race which we can never win, chassing the size game!! but what fun we have along the way...

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    I'm pretty sure the majority of the people on this forum have it. The only indication of being "big enough" I get is how my jeans no longer fit, and my under shirts get stuck on my arms when I try to take them off, but I ignore it. There is always more weight to be lifted and more training to be done.

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    I feel the same, i feel i am not big i have 16inch arms am 5'9 and weigh about 175, i dont have big abs so i am not lean either. not big nor lean!!! AHHH

the Cure for this disease is

1 gram of test a week
    10-12ius of HGH ED
    100mg of Drol
    and low dose tren

lol and a huge surplus in diet

I still dont feel big and when I look in the mirror most of the time I think my arms are small but I took a picture today. OK in the picture they dont look bad but you cant walk around flexed all the time..... can you lol
    BTW the date on the camera is wrong, I changed batteries the other day and didnt fix the date. it's 9-2-2009
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bigorexia  Who Else Has it??-100_6981.jpg  

So that is what its called hah i thought i was the only one! I have suffered from this greatly and start wonder will i ever be satisfied?

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    ^lookin good lov

ya I'm 270's @ ~14% and I'm still not done getting huge

Quote Originally Posted by audis4 View Post
    ^lookin good lov

ya I'm 270's @ ~14% and I'm still not done getting huge
    NICE, you have about 90 lbs on me. I can only imagine for now but I'm sure when I get there I will feel maybe 210???

Thread Information