LawMan018 is offline Senior Member

Possible IT career in the Future?

As of late I've been researching what kind of a degree I want, since, as of right now, I don't plan on staying longer then I signed up for in the military (possibly getting out sooner with a program that switches you over to reserves). On to my point, I've always been fascinated with computers, since I was a kid I've been dealing with them. The majority of my time hasn't been dealing with the "technical" side, however, when troubleshooting or what not, I'm a quick learner and can usually fix any issues. During my research of career possibilities within the field, I came across how, with just an Associate's, you "can" (and I emphasize the "quotes for good reason) start out making around 60 grand. Now I can bet it's on average lower, and probably time consuming getting a job but I can't think of anything else I could see myself doing for careerwise. I figured, with time, I could start off with an Associate's in IT, get a job, and further my education while working in hopes of achieving a Bachelor's down the line. Do any members have degrees, certificiates, or any experience with this kind of job? I'm just looking for some feedback from "real" people with real experience, rather then what the bland explanation most online colleges give you for the job.

killface is offline Associate Member
    This is certainly not to discourage you but it's a real account of how it is out there so you can plan accordingly.

I got out of the Air Force in December 08 but I had started looking for a job that September. I finally got a job in March 09 so, 6 months of looking. I have a BS in Computer Information Systems, 6 years of related experience (IT/electronics while I was in) and a TS clearance. My resume is impressive - professionally written, and I'm personable and interview well. Honestly, It was f*cking HARD to find a job.

The job I ended up getting, however, is great. It's a once in a life time kind of thing, but the point is: there was not much going on out there.

Now, there are many variable that may make it easier or harder for you. Geographic location, time of year, etc. When I got out the economy was still so-so and it was Christmas time; historically that doesn't foster the best job hunting environment.

As far as the AS degree? Honestly, I wouldn't rely on it unless you've got some certifications to back it. Certs seem to be the big thing right now. I think one of the first questions in all of my interviews was "your resume looks good; do you have any certifications?"

Anyway, again this is not to discourage you. You may get a great job your fist week of looking, and I hope you do. I'll keep an eye out here in case you have any questions.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    I have an AS and lots of certs and I started out at 54K...

Now a days it depends on what specialty you have. You can easy get a job within days if you are in the right market for your specialty.

the big thing is experience, you have to have at least 2-5 yrs to break that 40-50K mark.. but you can its not hard.

more jobs now a days care about certs in the field then degree's .. not that degree's aren't a major plus, but the truth is the difference between somebody that has an AS with certs in their field is not different then having a BA.
    Last edited by quarry206; 08-31-2009 at 04:42 PM.

fig
    fig is offline Member
    All depends on how good you are. I work with a guy, 27 years old, C# programmer, 6 figures. No joke. He's had like 6 job offers when the economy was rock bottom. Another guy I work with never went to college. Guys super smart and makes a ton of money. 99% of companies won't let you in the door w/o a degree so get one...but it proves the point.

When people ask me if I'm getting my Masters I say hell no. My time and money would be so much better spent learning. Working with computers is like working with math. Either you know it or you don't. No BSing. Any knowledgeable interviewer will know within 2 minutes if you know your shit. That's what matters.

Bottom Line...get your degree but if you want $$, don't be complacent. Learn more than you need to know, do projects harder than you have to, get an internship, etc. Money is there but they don't hand it out everyone.

fig
    fig is offline Member
    I just read Killface's post. I had a real hard time finding a job too but I'm fresh out of college. Also, he's def right about certs. That's priority after getting your degree. I gotta get on that!

Oh yeah, I started in the low 60s. I had an offer the other day in the 80k range but it would mean me moving and I'm not prepared to do that atm .

I could get better pay if I pressed it but, like I said before, the job is awesome and that in itself is worth a lot (to me anyway).

Certs, certs, certs... Cant say it enough. I've even heard people asking for A+ again. It was a joke for a while but I guess they updated it since I looked at it in the 90s. If you're moderately smart, which I assume you are, A+ is something you could probably knock out with a little studying, maybe Net+ too. Security (info obv) is a good one too, there seem to be a lot of security jobs around, especially if you're looking to get into def contracting.

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    Oh yeah, I started in the low 60s. I had an offer the other day in the 80k range but it would mean me moving and I'm not prepared to do that atm .

I could get better pay if I pressed it but, like I said before, the job is awesome and that in itself is worth a lot (to me anyway).

Certs, certs, certs... Cant say it enough. I've even heard people asking for A+ again. It was a joke for a while but I guess they updated it since I looked at it in the 90s. If you're moderately smart, which I assume you are, A+ is something you could probably knock out with a little studying, maybe Net+ too. Security (info obv) is a good one too, there seem to be a lot of security jobs around, especially if you're looking to get into def contracting.
    Yeh, all I've read about is how after you get your degree you're still behind on modern technology, however, everyone says a degree is very important, as it lays a solid foundation for you to build off of with the certs. And with the new GI Bill, hopefully I got those covered

I'm not up to date on the GI bill, it's always changing lol. I do know that it's becoming transferable though so we're going to start using that for my wife's classes.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

the post 9/11 GI bill is pretty high.. I actually was thinking about going back to school just to use it. it basicially as of AUG 1 2009, they added full BAH to the GI bill.

and to be honest for the most part you can't take and pass most certs without some education. just because most are only around 50-80 questions, they are very detailed and some even word things tricky.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    LMAO @ getting a degree jst to do IT work.

I work in the field and I will not lie to you, I have a degree also and it is the biggest goddamn waste of money and time I have ever invested in my life.

You wanna know what works in the IT world? EXPERIENCE!!!

I have yet to work with anyone who has a degree and have only worked with one person who was "certified" but was an idiot and got canned.

You will have to start at the lowest of lows and do grunt work at first, look for a Help Desk job or if you get lucky, land a manager over a Help Desk. No way anyone will hire you as a Network Engineer straight out of the Army or school.

Let me know if you want anymore advice, i'll tell you like it is.

Oh, and don't worry I will help you even though we know you had a gay spell.
    ***No source checks!!!***

^^^--- Good point.. I started off working a networking help desk.. before you get a good job you need 2-5 years.. its pretty much the standard, and its starting to raise to be 5-7 years in some areas

T3/T4 GSR is offline Senior Member
    It's rough out there. My business tanked when the auto industry crashed for a while and I decided to move on since I wanted to get away form cars and go back towards IT which is where I was going when I graduated high school before I got into hooking up cars and ended up pursuing that field. I went to a tech school for a few months to get some better hands on experience with server 03 and and security. I have been looking for a job for the last six weeks and I can't find anything and I have A+, security+ and I would get my MCSA if I had the cash to take any exams. I have experience from working with a friends consulting business back in high school setting up networks from the ground up and PC support at circuit city and I haven't even gotten a call back from anywhere I have applied. If you don't have a good connection it seems help desk positions don't even want to look at you without a bachelors degree.

Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    the post 9/11 GI bill is pretty high.. I actually was thinking about going back to school just to use it. it basicially as of AUG 1 2009, they added full BAH to the GI bill.
    Is that something you have to buy into or does everyone just get the upgrade automatically?

I guess I should probably go talk to my rep.

Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    Is that something you have to buy into or does everyone just get the upgrade automatically?

I guess I should probably go talk to my rep.
    I am not 100% on how it works, but it works basically off of anybody that was on active duty after 9/11 that wasn't for training and for every month in support of the war on terror.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/C...3_Pamphlet.pdf

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja View Post
    LMAO @ getting a degree jst to do IT work.

I work in the field and I will not lie to you, I have a degree also and it is the biggest goddamn waste of money and time I have ever invested in my life.

You wanna know what works in the IT world? EXPERIENCE!!!

I have yet to work with anyone who has a degree and have only worked with one person who was "certified" but was an idiot and got canned.

You will have to start at the lowest of lows and do grunt work at first, look for a Help Desk job or if you get lucky, land a manager over a Help Desk. No way anyone will hire you as a Network Engineer straight out of the Army or school.

Let me know if you want anymore advice, i'll tell you like it is.

Oh, and don't worry I will help you even though we know you had a gay spell.
    Word...I used to run the NOC at my work and was in charge of hiring...I don't have a degree ....and could care less if some one else did. But if they had 10 years + exp. and some certs....F*CK yah i'd hire em. I started my way out just muril said...I started as a network analyst (glorified ticket monkey) and within a few years I went to shift lead ...shift manager...Head of NOC to Systems administrator...and that was my choice because they would have taken me on to network admin but i hate routers :P

Thread Information