Kratos is offline I feel accomplished

Big find on the moon

‘Significant amount’ of water found on moon
    NASA's LCROSS probe discovered beds of water ice at the lunar south pole

NASA's LCROSS probe discovered beds of water ice at the lunar south pole when it impacted the moon last month, mission scientists announced Friday.

"Indeed, yes, we found water. And we didn't find just a little bit, we found a significant amount," Anthony Colaprete, LCROSS project scientist and principal investigator from NASA's Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, Calif.

The LCROSS probe impacted the lunar south pole at a crater called Cabeus on Oct. 9. The $79 million spacecraft, preceded by its Centaur rocket stage, hit the lunar surface in an effort to create a debris plume that could be analyzed by scientists for signs of water ice.

Scientists have long suspected that permanently shadowed craters at the south pole of the moon could be cold enough to sustain water frozen at the surface. Water has already been detected on the moon by a NASA-built instrument on board India's now defunct Chandrayaan-1 probe and other spacecraft, though it was in very small amounts and bound to the dirt and dust of the lunar surface.

NASA plans to return astronauts to the moon by 2020 for extended missions on the lunar surface. Finding usable amounts of ice on the moon would be a boon for that effort since it could be a vital local resource to support a lunar base.

The impact was observed by LCROSS's sister spacecraft, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, as well as other space and ground-based telescopes.

The debris plume from the impacts was not seen right away and was only revealed a week after the impact, when mission scientists had had time to comb through the probe's data.

NASA launched LCROSS — short for Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite — and LRO in June.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33912611...ace/?GT1=43001

elpropiotorvic is offline Senior Member
    Kratos u always bring good stuff to the Lounge

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Nice.... I'm surprised they didnt decide to keep it from us. It just goes to show things are not always what they seem and have not always been how it is now.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I wouldn't call 100 kilograms "a significant amount", but that's from the camera view...there is potentially more down there and more else where on the moon. This is a MASSIVE FIND in my opinion. Water is going to be a very valuable commodity in the future.

Nice article Kratos!

drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    i wouldnt doubt if there trying to find ways to put a station on the moon this would be a main reason to see if the moon had water

it may sound like fiction to some people but really are we really that far off from something like that happening with all the end of day predictions whos to say they arnt looking to the moon to save the human race at some point

i mean look at the movies that have been comming out as of late
    The Day After Tomorrow
    Absolute Zero
    Knowing
    28 Weeks Later

i mean u never know it could be a warning like some people say
    iv ever read somewhere that people in high up places make these scripts as part of a warning

too bad use normal people wont know till its to late

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    good stuff....a base on the moon is a good jump off point for longer missions....costs alot less to launch a large vessel from the moon than from earth

D.quere is offline New Member

Big find on the moon

Like I always say you cant give me sust, unless its the last gear on earth.

Needsize

I hope I see a base or some sort of construct on the moon before I die.

oscarjones is offline Banned
    Imagine traveling to the Moon? I'd probably have a heart attack on the rocket from going like mach a million.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drdeath613 View Post
    i wouldnt doubt if there trying to find ways to put a station on the moon this would be a main reason to see if the moon had water

it may sound like fiction to some people but really are we really that far off from something like that happening with all the end of day predictions whos to say they arnt looking to the moon to save the human race at some point

The Day After Tomorrow
    Absolute Zero
    Knowing
    28 Weeks Later

iv ever read somewhere that people in high up places make these scripts as part of a warning

Don't go by movies...they were making comet movies for a w hile there too..didn't happen.

*El Diablo* is offline Respected Member
    This is the pic that where taken that proved H2O on the moon...

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by drdeath613 View Post

The Day After Tomorrow
    Absolute Zero
    Knowing
    28 Weeks Later

I would think they would look into mars mroe so the moon. The moon revolves around earth..... pulls it's oceans..... and the earth pulls back on it. If something happens to the earth..... the moon could be affected also. Same thing if a comet hit the moon..... could end up with killer tidal waves on earth and such.....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    I would think they would look into mars mroe so the moon. The moon revolves around earth..... pulls it's oceans..... and the earth pulls back on it. If something happens to the earth..... the moon could be affected also. Same thing if a comet hit the moon..... could end up with killer tidal waves on earth and such.....

~Haz~

I think I read somewhere that it'd be cheaper and more energy cost effective to get from the moon into space than from earth into space. If we want to colonise Mars, I would think the Moon would be massively important. But I heard that colonising the moon would be best done at the poles where there is nearly constant light.

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    i wonder how long till they bottle it, and sell it to us for retarded prices, because our current water supply is polluted...........

total recall anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicotine View Post
    i wonder how long till they bottle it, and sell it to us for retarded prices, because our current water supply is polluted...........

total recall anyone?

Yeah, it will be sold as "Luna Water" or "Universal Water" or some mindrconrtoling slogan, with rich cvnts buying and exclaiming "they can taste the difference".

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    I don't want to live on the moon or mars, they both suck.

Thread Information