Crushenator is offline Junior Member

How does Australian Customs work for parcels?

On the board here 'Australian Customs' is used very much as an Umbrella term so I'm curious to know what the step by step process is for a parcel coming into Australia. By no means do I want to circumvent the system I just want to learn.

Based on my limited googling ability i've found out their is AQIS 'Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service' and I think they have an International Mail Sorting Centre in one or more capital cities.

Yet if you get siezure notifications they are headered by Customs? Do customs work for AQIS or vice versa?

ranging1 is offline Anabolic Member
    lol really why would u wanna know this? i mean does the process really matter?

all i know is its almost impossible to ever get anything through Australian customs because their fuukkin good at what they do

Crushenator is offline Junior Member
    I have a huge habit of answering my own questions shortly after asking. So: After watching a few episodes of Border Security just now it seems like Australia Post X-ray selected parcels and if they are suspicious they pass them on to customs officers which are on site at the mail sorting centre with chemical assay equipement and the like. Interesting stuff!

I cant believe how many people brazenly try and smuggle like 1kg at a time of heroin into the country in a normal parcel and hope to get away with it.

HeavyDuty2 is offline New Member
    I'm on the understanding that incoming mail from certain 'hot' countries gets looked at alot more thoughly and intensly than others.

Thread Information