Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW guys..help!

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member

BMW guys..help!

So I've been looking for a new ride. I found an 06 BMW M5 for 39k...I'm pretty sure I want it. I need to know what to look for though...I know M cars have been problematic in the past and don't wanna get swamped with repair bills.

Any one have any advice?

jccnewbie is offline Senior Member
    Buy American

Quote Originally Posted by jccnewbie View Post
    Buy American
    The only American car I'd be interested in is the ZR1, and thats a bit out of my price range!

urbanbody is offline Member
    An 06 is just about to be up on its warranty bro. Also as an M5 look up the owners if you can cause people usually drive those cars hard!!! You def dont want the repair bills on this. I have an 04 530i and I bought right at the 4yr waranty end and my transmission went out. Becareful when buying these cars after the warranty its not worth the Deal you think your getting.

dangerous dan is offline Anabolic Member
    iv know 100s of people own BMWs and have had no probs what so ever, from what i gather there good runners

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dan View Post
    iv know 100s of people own BMWs and have had no probs what so ever, from what i gather there good runners
    Depending how they are driven!!! I have my dealers liscense and I buy these cars at the auction all day. believe me there not cheap and yes they do mess up

jccnewbie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooomoto View Post
    The only American car I'd be interested in is the ZR1, and thats a bit out of my price range!
    I just a family man so my 09 Ford Fusion will be fine for a while. I will save my mid life crisis buy for a nice bike. I miss the ride more than I crave a sports car.

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanbody View Post
    An 06 is just about to be up on its warranty bro. Also as an M5 look up the owners if you can cause people usually drive those cars hard!!! You def dont want the repair bills on this. I have an 04 530i and I bought right at the 4yr waranty end and my transmission went out. Becareful when buying these cars after the warranty its not worth the Deal you think your getting.
    Agree 100% my ls400 just cost me $350 for a small bracket on the engine between the clutch fan and the block. A few months ago I paid over $400 to replace my stolen keys. A repair that would have been over $2000 if it wouldn't have been the first time it happened. If your gonna spend that kind of money make sure you do your research on the car itself and check out past owners. If there real young chances are the car was driven hard. I would try to find one under warranty.

Good idea with looking up the owners, but that'd be difficult as I'm buying it through a buddy of mine who is a dealer, and he bought the car at auction. Not sure how I'd track down who owned the car previously.

What about buying an extended warranty from BMW?

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    39k on a 5 year old car is steep bro.

u live in Mia, buy a truck and finance a boat man...u will be 10x happier...

Good idea with looking up the owners, but that'd be difficult as I'm buying it through a buddy of mine who is a dealer, and he bought the car at auction. Not sure how I'd track down who owned the car previously.

Run a car fax or have your buddy run a car fax through the dealer. The extended warranty would be a good idea.

yotafool is offline New Member
    M5's are nice. Driven a couple but mainly M3's. Never driven the E60 that you are looking at though. I've only owned an E36 325is but I plan to buy an E46 M3 in the distant future. Are you looking at a smg 7speed or manual 6 speed? The only real problems that I have heard from E60's are extended vanos problems. E39's had a lot of problems with vanos and I guess bmw still hasn't worked out all the kinks. Have you thought about the M3?

I will be completely honest with you as I do this for a living bro, don't judge me lol but buying a car from the auction can have some much sh%t wrong with it and nobody even knows it. You can get a waranty but sometimes they don't cover everything its a money scam and they usually go for like 1200 to 1400 but only cost the guy selling them to you 600 so they make money off you like that too. Auctions are scary bro

Go english...aston martin

Quote Originally Posted by yotafool View Post
    M5's are nice. Driven a couple but mainly M3's. Never driven the E60 that you are looking at though. I've only owned an E36 325is but I plan to buy an E46 M3 in the distant future. Are you looking at a smg 7speed or manual 6 speed? The only real problems that I have heard from E60's are extended vanos problems. E39's had a lot of problems with vanos and I guess bmw still hasn't worked out all the kinks. Have you thought about the M3?
    This M5 has SMG. I don't really like M3's. I've never had a big car with a big engine, and I've been lusting over M5's for many years. I'll probably ask on the M5 board on what to look for with the E60 M5.

I know this probably is not a good idea, and that a car (especially one like this) is not an investment...it's probably gonna end up costing me money...but fk...I want it so bad.

I will be completely honest with you as I do this for a living bro, don't judge me lol but buying a car from the auction can have some much sh%t wrong with it and nobody even knows it. You can get a waranty but sometimes they don't cover everything its a money scam and they usually go for like 1200 to 1400 but only cost the guy selling them to you 600 so they make money off you like that too. Auctions are scary bro
    This is true but most used cars go through an auction. Whether it's a silent bid sale or a full blown auctioneer auction most trade ins to new car dealerships are not resold on there lot. Some lots will do it but a majority run them through the auction so they can write off the difference of the amount they had to give trade and the amount it actually brought at the auction.

This M5 has SMG. I don't really like M3's. I've never had a big car with a big engine, and I've been lusting over M5's for many years. I'll probably ask on the M5 board on what to look for with the E60 M5.

I know this probably is not a good idea, and that a car (especially one like this) is not an investment...it's probably gonna end up costing me money...but fk...I want it so bad.
    That is why I am waiting for a long time until the e46's come way down in value like e36's are today. why not just get an e39 m5 in the mean time lol? they're not that expensive. I think they run anywhere from 13 to 20k for like a 2000. Then in a few years sell it an buy a e60. Unless your loaded then sure why not.

now tell me that this doesn't look sexy...

Sexy???? This car is OLD

Sexy???? This car is OLD
    lol, i guess its just my own personal taste

this is what i'll be looking for

love it

Better. Check out the new 7 series. they are sick

I love the E39 M5. It's the M5 that got me started lusting after these cars. However, there are no shining examples of them for sale around here. I found a few on EBay but they all have a lot of miles and are no where near me.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this E60...I'll wait a day or two to make sure I want to do this. It just came up this morning, and I'm a hardcore impulse buyer...so I'm gonna wait a few days to see how I feel.

This is the Car!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BMW guys..help!-2010-bmw-760-2.jpg  

I love the E39 M5. It's the M5 that got me started lusting after these cars. However, there are no shining examples of them for sale around here. I found a few on EBay but they all have a lot of miles and are no where near me.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this E60...I'll wait a day or two to make sure I want to do this. It just came up this morning, and I'm a hardcore impulse buyer...so I'm gonna wait a few days to see how I feel.
    do you have pics of it and what is the mileage again?

Better. Check out the new 7 series. they are sick
    Yeah they are. The 760 is also over $130k. maybe if i made too much money i would consider one or i'd probably just get an m6.

Yeah they are. The 760 is also over $130k. maybe if i made too much money i would consider one or i'd probably just get an m6.
    Do your thang

the 760 is also a 12cyl turbo

do you have pics of it and what is the mileage again?
    I don't have pics of the car I'm considering, I did see it. It's sitting in my friends warehouse. It's black on black with some light colored wood accents inside...not crazy about the wood but whatever. It has 50,000 miles on it. Interior/exterior is flawless as far as I can tell...comes with both key fobs and all the books and what not.

the 760 is also a 12cyl turbo
    Ya its pretty amazing!!!

Jean Claude is offline Banned
    You're pretty much doing what I did, except I bought a 2001 330 ci at the end of 2004. It had 33,000 miles on it and I payed 30 grand.

I drove it like shit for most of the time I owned it. I still have it but take care of it a lot more. It's fun to drive, it is lowered and has an intake so it's not stock.

Repairs... I've had to put an average of 15,000 in repairs alone. I slammed it up a few times on icy roads and whatnot and had to replace the bumpers. I messed up the suspension twice on potholes at nighttime cause it sits 2" lower than the stock model and it's hard to see the potholes at night.

The car is a beauty. Even just yesterday someone complimented me on the car...

So yees, Beemers are nice cars. 39 k for an m5, how many miles? less than 40 k, I might get it. Just know that you will drive it fast and it will need repaired.

Repairs are the worst. Once you start taking a beemer to the shop, you're gonna be going back a lot. At around 75 k is when the problems start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Claude View Post
    You're pretty much doing what I did, except I bought a 2001 330 ci at the end of 2004. It had 33,000 miles on it and I payed 30 grand.

I drove it like shit for most of the time I owned it. I still have it but take care of it a lot more. It's fun to drive, it is lowered and has an intake so it's not stock.

Repairs... I've had to put an average of 15,000 in repairs alone. I slammed it up a few times on icy roads and whatnot and had to replace the bumpers. I messed up the suspension twice on potholes at nighttime cause it sits 2" lower than the stock model and it's hard to see the potholes at night.

The car is a beauty. Even just yesterday someone complimented me on the car...

So yees, Beemers are nice cars. 39 k for an m5, how many miles? less than 40 k, I might get it. Just know that you will drive it fast and it will need repaired.

Repairs are the worst. Once you start taking a beemer to the shop, you're gonna be going back a lot. At around 75 k is when the problems start.
    Well I don't need to worry about icy roads as I live in Miami...but accidents do happen. The only hard driving I do is between here and my gf's house (she lives on the other side of Miami) on the highway in the middle of night...I usually end up coming home about 2-3 am so I let it rip all the way home. The car I'm looking at has 50k on the odometer...I would modify it, but M5 aftermarket parts are expensive as fk, so I think I'll wait a while before doing that!

Besides, I'm sure it'll take quite a while to get used to 500 hp. That is, when it's in P500 mode.

I'm thinking about telling my friend "Dude, all I can come up with is 35k.." and see what he says (he wants 39k). I have good car credit with a Federal credit union...so it won't be a problem, but he doesnt know that.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I had an M-3 for 7 years. I had to replace the oxygen sensor and that was it the entire time I owned it. (other than routine maintenance). Most reliable car I ever owned.

So I got the VIN and ran it with Carfax. The car was previously owned by a company in California. I'm guessing used as a company car for an exec or something? It then went through a dealership and ended up at auction. No accidents on record and had all the services performed at a BMW service center in CA.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I had an M-3 for 7 years. I had to replace the oxygen sensor and that was it the entire time I owned it. (other than routine maintenance). Most reliable car I ever owned.
    Thats the only thing I had to do to my E36 325is besides replacing the valve cover gasket because it was leaking. I only had mine for 3 years though.

So I got the VIN and ran it with Carfax. The car was previously owned by a company in California. I'm guessing used as a company car for an exec or something? It then went through a dealership and ended up at auction. No accidents on record and had all the services performed at a BMW service center in CA.

What do you guys think?
    Well thats good at least. Better than typing in the VIN and getting 27 hits like a truck I was looking at years ago haha.

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Ahh,,not a fan of BMW's..Switch over to the dark side and get yourself a benz!!! Go for a used e55amg, get a extended warranty and a few mods and you will be looking at that m5 in your rear view mirror. I picked my 06 e55 up for 34k with low miles and every option.

Crest is offline Senior Member
    BMW's are one of the most reliable cars you can own. pure German precision, id look at an m3 over an m5 due to price and although the m5 will be more powerful, the m3 will be far more fun to drive to to weight and handling etc

Quote Originally Posted by uk lad View Post
    BMW's are one of the most reliable cars you can own. pure German precision, id look at an m3 over an m5 due to price and although the m5 will be more powerful, the m3 will be far more fun to drive to to weight and handling etc
    I'm not into M3's...never have been. It's the college kid taxi around here, way too many of them. I'm actually tired of looking at them, LOL. I've always wanted an M5 and now I finally have the means to get one...not a new one, but one none-the-less.

I'm gonna contact my credit union tomorrow and see what they say...I'll probably get a loan out from them and put my car up for sale.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    Ahh,,not a fan of BMW's..Switch over to the dark side and get yourself a benz!!! Go for a used e55amg, get a extended warranty and a few mods and you will be looking at that m5 in your rear view mirror. I picked my 06 e55 up for 34k with low miles and every option.
    i was told you cant get extended warranties on AMG's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information