terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member

Study on protein need for strength athletes.

Evaluation of protein requirements for trained strength athletes.
    Tarnopolsky MA, Atkinson SA, MacDougall JD, Chesley A, Phillips S, Schwarcz HP.

Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Leucine kinetic and nitrogen balance (NBAL) methods were used to determine the dietary protein requirements of strength athletes (SA) compared with sedentary subjects (S). Individual subjects were randomly assigned to one of three protein intakes: low protein (LP) = 0.86 g protein.kg-1.day-1, moderate protein (MP) = 1.40 g protein.kg-1.day-1, or high protein (HP) = 2.40 g protein.kg-1.day-1 for 13 days for each dietary treatment. NBAL was measured and whole body protein synthesis (WBPS) and leucine oxidation were determined from L-[1-13C]leucine turnover. NBAL data were used to determine that the protein intake for zero NBAL for S was 0.69 g.kg-1.day-1 and for SA was 1.41 g.kg-1.day-1. A suggested recommended intake for S was 0.89 g.kg-1.day-1 and for SA was 1.76 g.kg-1.day-1. For SA, the LP diet did not provide adequate protein and resulted in an accommodated state (decreased WBPS vs. MP and HP), and the MP diet resulted in a state of adaptation [increase in WBPS (vs. LP) and no change in leucine oxidation (vs. LP)]. The HP diet did not result in increased WBPS compared with the MP diet, but leucine oxidation did increase significantly, indicating a nutrient overload. For S the LP diet provided adequate protein, and increasing protein intake did not increase WBPS. On the HP diet leucine oxidation increased for S. These results indicated that the MP and HP diets were nutrient overloads for S. There were no effects of varying protein intake on indexes of lean body mass (creatinine excretion, body density) for either group. In summary, protein requirements for athletes performing strength training are greater than for sedentary individuals and are above current Canadian and US recommended daily protein intake requirements for young healthy males.
    Last edited by terraj; 02-11-2010 at 08:08 AM.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Well we knew that already...but it's nice to see it backed up.

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Athletes needs more protein than fat lazy people?? That blows my mind.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I thought the results from the high protein (HP) = 2.40 g protein.kg-1.day were of note. That is less protein then most BBs consume....maybe the
    results can be obtained with lesser stress on the liver and kidneys.
    Last edited by terraj; 02-11-2010 at 06:54 PM.

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    ^^^I wouldnt doubt it honestly. The body is extremely efficient with nutrients once they are assimilated into bodily tissues. I never thought that some of these diets where your getting 2-3g/lb bw of protein were even close to necessary, ever. Look at some of these inmates, they arn't getting anything close to that in their diets...

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    whats protein?

ranging2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    I thought the results from the high protein (HP) = 2.40 g protein.kg-1.day were of note. That is less protein then most BBs consume....maybe the
    good post man

but im presuming the study was based on athletes that werent using AAS

so the protein requirment guideline is good to know when were off cycle

as for when were on AAS i think this study shows a good indicator of the minimum amount of protein we really do need

thanks for that post, very imformative, though many people knew about this, i dont think alot of us knew the exact guidelines or studies that show proof

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    there is little good evidence that the very high protein intakes (more than 2 grams per kilogram of body weight per day) typically consumed by strength athletes are beneficial.

which begs the question...are shakes stupid

Thread Information