DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

vegetarian bodybuilding

Not sure if you saw my food Inc post but after watching that moving and seeing where my food is coming from, all I can say now is no more. I will try to cut out as much meat from these mass marketing Corp as possible. I'm already searching for local markets, organic foods and looking into a vegetarian type diet. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get enough protein in doing so but the readings I found online say otherwise. I'm just curious if there are any other members who do the same ? If there are if you have some good links on vegetarian diets and such let me know.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Not sure if you saw my food Inc post but after watching that moving and seeing where my food is coming from, all I can say now is no more. I will try to cut out as much meat from these mass marketing Corp as possible. I'm already searching for local markets, organic foods and looking into a vegetarian type diet. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get enough protein in doing so but the readings I found online say otherwise. I'm just curious if there are any other members who do the same ? If there are if you have some good links on vegetarian diets and such let me know.

Mate, I went vegetarian myself about a month ago. It's hard but doable, but im going to compromise where i'll eat some organic red meat once a week with a couple good bits of fish twice a week, then the following week eat one piece of good fish and eat organic poultry twice a week. That way you're eating red meat once a fortnight and poultry twice a fortnight, but still adhering to mostly a veggie diet. Plus its harder to get all your amino acids from just vegetarian sources and I hear your iron levels can drop after awhile.

You can get some pretty good Meat free burgers which are basically soy based and most of them will have a high protein content. Havent tried the wonders of tofu yet.

I posted about this in the diet section a few weeks back, if you go in there, there was some good links from some helpful members.

EDIT: Vegetarian diet for bodybuilding viable? go there, some highly helpful stuff from some of the board members, very insightful.
    Last edited by Flagg; 05-17-2010 at 09:37 AM.

CMPD213 is offline Associate Member
    Google grassland beef.. Awesome site and great products, a bit pricey but it's worth it if you can afford it... My suggestion to you if you want to avoid meat completely, is find a local fish market that buys straight from the fishing boats or fishes themselves and eat alot of fish, alot lots of beans, then your regular protein shakes. After you play around with the macros a bit you can easily get the protein in.

Food Inc really does open your eyes on a lot of things wrong with the meat industry. Just have to try your best to eat the better choice meat when you can

MaNiCC is offline AR's Think Tank - Retired
    I was going to watch that.

dsm give me a taster of why it put you off meat

oh and knowing you i would request NO PICS

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Purchasing meat from smaller organic market is the best way to go. The price of the meat is currently more expensive because raising the animals in a more "humane" environment is more expensive and there aren't enough people buying organic meat. The big corps have the shittiest living conditions for these animals..... everything is as cheap as possible..... chickens are like triple the size they should be after 6 months..... it's all about money.

To protest these big companies..... you need to support the smaller organic ones.....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Purchasing meat from smaller organic market is the best way to go. The price of the meat is currently more expensive because raising the animals in a more "humane" environment is more expensive and there aren't enough people buying organic meat. The big corps have the shittiest living conditions for these animals..... everything is as cheap as possible..... chickens are like triple the size they should be after 6 months..... it's all about money.

To protest these big companies..... you need to support the smaller organic ones.....

~Haz~

What this guy said. Infact it's largely what im doing my Dissertation on now, the pros and cons of Intensive Farming and how corporations and supermarkets apply massive pressure on intensive farms.

Organic is pricier, but in my personal opinion, sets my mind at ease.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaNiCC View Post
    I was going to watch that.

dsm give me a taster of why it put you off meat

oh and knowing you i would request NO PICS
    If you watch the film you will see what i am talking about. I am not going all out vegetarian but for the most part i am. I will buy/eat organic meat but i am done buying from this big corp that are posing us !

In the film a rep from Wal-mart said it all. "We sell what the customer demands." Im thinking oh yeah right. He follows it with, "If more organic items are purchased (the scanner at the register tracts that stuff) then we will start carrying more of it." So guess where my dollar is going. I went today and got all organic food.

I am going to google a bit and try and find some local farmer markets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    What this guy said. Infact it's largely what im doing my Dissertation on now, the pros and cons of Intensive Farming and how corporations and supermarkets apply massive pressure on intensive farms.

Organic is pricier, but in my personal opinion, sets my mind at ease.
    Have you watched the film yet ?

Mr.Rose is offline Anabolic Member
    This is why my family grows and kills our own meat. I killed my first lamb when i was 10. Eastern Europeans. .

I will never be a vegetarian. But i HATE how animals are treated, and don't buy from supermarkets. Only from family, or farmer butches. My rule, If i can see the animal's that are getting killed, then i am ok with it.

I've also been to industrial abattoirs and the works are usually low class citizens who seriously LOVE to torture the animals as they kill them. Its cruel.

Mr.Rose is offline Anabolic Member
    ... double post

Blog Entries
    Mate, I went vegetarian myself about a month ago. It's hard but doable, but im going to compromise where i'll eat some organic red meat once a week with a couple good bits of fish twice a week, then the following week eat one piece of good fish and eat organic poultry twice a week. That way you're eating red meat once a fortnight and poultry twice a fortnight, but still adhering to mostly a veggie diet. Plus its harder to get all your amino acids from just vegetarian sources and I hear your iron levels can drop after awhile.

You can get some pretty good Meat free burgers which are basically soy based and most of them will have a high protein content. Havent tried the wonders of tofu yet.

I posted about this in the diet section a few weeks back, if you go in there, there was some good links from some helpful members.

EDIT: Vegetarian diet for bodybuilding viable? go there, some highly helpful stuff from some of the board members, very insightful.
    Thank you for link.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Rose View Post
    This is why my family grows and kills our own meat. I killed my first lamb when i was 10. Eastern Europeans. .

I will never be a vegetarian. But i HATE how animals are treated, and don't buy from supermarkets. Only from family, or farmer butches. My rule, If i can see the animal's that are getting killed, then i am ok with it.

I've also been to industrial abattoirs and the works are usually low class citizens who seriously LOVE to torture the animals as they kill them. Its cruel.
    At one part in the movie they showed inside the chicken house. The chickens kept standing up then falling down. Stand up then fall over again. I was laughing cause they were acting like they were drunk. This was a result of giving the chickens chemicals/steroids . The chickens were not only growing in half the time a normal chicken would but they were growing so fast that their bones couldn't support the weight. Thats why they couldn't walk.

Blog Entries
    Here is the video of the chickens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_yu_ovuT2A

quietasamouse is offline New Member
    Long term vegetarian here (18 yrs) for environmental reasons. Not sure if I would make the same decision now, and am considering adding fish back in. I do feel like I have a much harder time getting the amounts of protein needed for real muscular growth. I think you can eat meat responsibly, and it boils down to being an informed consumer, both in terms of what you buy and what you eat. Like mentioned above, vote with your dollar.

A few of my pals have gotten creative. One is a full on "freegan"- he'll eat pretty much anything if it's free, but won't spend a dime on animal products. He hunts and fishes, but his real specialty is road kill. If he comes across a critter that he saw get hit, or is still warm, he'll go for it. You have to be cautious going over there for a barbecue.

DSM, I dont know what video you are refering to but this year ive watched too many videos and read too many articles on the conditions of intensive farm sheds which has changed my outlook on supermarkets and intensive farms hugely. Intensive farms are basically concentration camps for animals.

I'm not against eating meat but im totally against unethical treatment of animals.

To echo what Hazzard said earlier, you have to hurt the big companies the only way you can, in their wallets, and buy from Organic farms/local butchers.
    Last edited by Flagg; 05-17-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    DSM, I dont know what video you are refering to but this year ive watched too many videos and read too many articles on the conditions of intensive farm sheds which has changed my outlook on supermarkets and intensive farms hugely. Intensive farms are basically concentration camps for animals.

I'm not against eating meat but im totally against unethical treatment of animals.

To echo what Hazzard said earlier, you have to hurt the big companies the only way you can, in their wallets, and buy from Organic farms/local butchers.
    The movie is called Food Inc. It's what opened my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKYyD14d_0

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer

This is my outlook as well.....

Theres no reason for an animal to be treated poorly when it's life is being sacrificed for someone else to stuff their face. This is why i NEVER waste meat..... If i cook a whole chicken..... the bones are picked clean. Same with a turkey on thanksgiving and same with steak..... everything gets eaten.

I once went trout fishing and caught 5 of em. I've never had trout before but remembered that my father used to like em as a kid. So i brought the trout home - we prepared them and fried em..... I tried one and it was DISGUSTING. I couldn't eat more than one bite and half of it got thrown out..... that bothered me for a little while..... obviously still think about it today.....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Thread Information