LawMan018 is offline Senior Member

Siberian Huskies Anyone?

Well the wife and I got our first dog... It's a Siberian Husky. It was between this and a German Shepherd and we came across a Husky. We found her on craigslist for free actually, she's a year and a half and was on a farm and supposedly didn't make a good farm dog (go figure). Anyways, I had a question for any of those out there who have had or have huskies. Our Husky is extremely calm. We've had her for three days. She lays around all day, we take her on walks and she just comes back and falls asleep again. She perks up a little in the morning but it goes away quickly. She doesn't play with toys or anything and just seems to want her belly rubbed all the time. Now, from what I've read, Huskies are an extremely active breed so I'm a bit baffled at this point. The only thing I can think of is that she is not spayed and is currently spotting, so I'm wondering if maybe it is due to this, but other then that I can't think of anything. Any advice or input would be great. She's also up to date on all her shots, we just got her groomed, and she's been eating and drinking fine and has been going number 1 and 2 just fine so I don't think it has to do with her not feeling well.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    GS is my favorite dog, but Ive got to say, going with a Siberian husky or Alaskan Malamute would be a close 2nd... nice find. No they dont make good farm dogs at all. Still have too much wild instinct in them.

As far as your questions, I havent personally owned one, but my friend had 3 and it seems a hit or miss on activity... the males are almost always really active and want to run and play, the females are prone to either or. I dont think theres anything wrong with yours.

On a side note, Huskies are very prone to cataract problems as well as hip dysplacia... keep an eye on this.

Enjoy your new puppy

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    If she's in heat she will be sluggish. I have a two and a half year old husky. When she's not in heat she is always wanting to play but she won't play too much by herself. She wants me to run with her and roll around. Huskies are very intelligent dogs and can be stubborn. If you let her do something once she will remember it and it will be hard to break her of it so keep that in mind. I'll post s pic of mine later.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    been to the vet yet? I know the craigslist stated 18 months, but could it be she's older? hows the teeth look? new with points, or well ground and smooth.

and here's a silly question. is it hot where you live? with all that hair, if she's hot, that could explain the listlessness.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    If she's in heat she will be sluggish. I have a two and a half year old husky. When she's not in heat she is always wanting to play but she won't play too much by herself. She wants me to run with her and roll around. Huskies are very intelligent dogs and can be stubborn. If you let her do something once she will remember it and it will be hard to break her of it so keep that in mind. I'll post s pic of mine later.
    hopefully this doesnt end up in the bedroom bro... dont want those pics. But incidentally, what would you want for one of the puppies?

Huskies adapt to temperatures very well. They can withs stand temps as low as 70 degrees F below 0 and well above 100. They shed according to there climate which can sick if she's a house dog. They can shed and regrow fur several times a summer. Also, huskies are pack dogs. You have to let her know you are the pack leader or she will not listen to you. I know it sounds weird but it's how they are. The good thing is they need very little food but it should be high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    hopefully this doesnt end up in the bedroom bro... dont want those pics. But incidentally, what would you want for one of the puppies?
    I haven't really looked into it. I can't find anyone with a make husky to breed them and don't know if I want o buy a fourth dog right now.

We roll around in the yard but she does like to cuddle. She's a 50lb lap dog. She tries to ride on my lap when I cut the grass lol.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    i love huskies...before i got my 2nd collie, i was gonna get one.

my only suggestion - take her to the vet and get a full checkup including bloodwork done.

maybe she has a parasite or infection you arn't aware of, or heart worm.

LawMan018 is offline Senior Member
    I'll try to get a pic up of our girl here soon. And it is pretty hot where we live. I'm stationed in Missouri right now, hoping to get orders soon (EQUALS list comes out Aug 4th)... It's supposed to get around 110 to 115 tomorrow. We keep the ac blasting 24/7 so it's pretty darn cool inside for her at least. If you run at her she'll lay down and roll over on her back so it's good to see she submits and knows who is boss. We've been trying to teach her slowly basic commands but might hold off till she's out of heat. She seems to respond better to the wife, when I give commands she looks afraid and hides by my wife, haha. But she's getting more affectionate so hopefully things progress.

Nicotine is offline Anabolic Member
    my puppy wally does that.

cuz he was spoiled like crazy and babied when i got him......walk towards him, he flops over, and wants belly rubs.... he's wicked fun though.... (new avatar with a pic of sam my 1yr old, and wally, my 5 month old).

i would still do the bloodwork anyway, since she's not a pup and was on a farm.

What part of Missouri?

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    I wouldn't get one here in Texas but some times dogs that come from large litters get sad for a little bit if they don't get a cr@p load of attention / dog play mates.

Thread Information