gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~

need some advice

i just got a letter in the mail from a car insurance company. Its a bill for $10,600. I sold my car back in may and the person who bought it must have gotten in a accident with it in June. It has the drivers name listed and mine listed as responsible owner. I have no papers proving i sold it. I signed the title over to the guy and gave it to him.

Am i screwed on this?

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    No bill of sale?

Did you leave your plates on it?

A lot of times people will not send the title in because they don't want to pay the taxes and title fees. I would contact the insurance company and explain that you sold tge vehicle and you have no paperwork and see what they say. A lawyer could get you out of it if it comes down to it but that would cost you some money and you'd prolly have to counter sew in order to get your money back.

Did you deposit the money from the sale so you atleast can show your bank statement?

Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    No bill of sale?

Did you leave your plates on it?

A lot of times people will not send the title in because they don't want to pay the taxes and title fees. I would contact the insurance company and explain that you sold tge vehicle and you have no paperwork and see what they say. A lawyer could get you out of it if it comes down to it but that would cost you some money and you'd prolly have to counter sew in order to get your money back.

Did you deposit the money from the sale so you atleast can show your bank statement?

yes in texas the plates stay on the car.

I took the cash and went to the dealer to use it as a deposit on my new car

I would just talk to the insurance company. There's a guy that you don't know driving the car. I'm sure you have plenty of witnesses to back up the fact that you haven't had the car for several months. May be a little bit of a headache but I think you'll be ok. Worst case scenario you'll have to get a lawyer but I doubt it.

I'm sure you've realized this now but for future reference always right up a bill of sale when selling you car. Put the vin #, year, make, model, selling price, and have both parties sign and date it. Prevents headaches like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    I would just talk to the insurance company. There's a guy that you don't know driving the car. I'm sure you have plenty of witnesses to back up the fact that you haven't had the car for several months. May be a little bit of a headache but I think you'll be ok. Worst case scenario you'll have to get a lawyer but I doubt it.

I'm sure you've realized this now but for future reference always right up a bill of sale when selling you car. Put the vin #, year, make, model, selling price, and have both parties sign and date it. Prevents headaches like this.
    i always have done that in the past. Dont know why i didnt this time. I call the insurance company tomorrow and see how that goes. If they are dicks ill give it to my attorney.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

i called the insurance company and they said they located the driver and to disregard the letter

MaNiCC is offline AR's Think Tank - Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    i called the insurance company and they said they located the driver and to disregard the letter
    Result

rbg
    rbg is offline Junior Member
    I had a similar problem. A person who bought my car kept it in my name with my plates and kept going through a toll, racking up a bill.

Some people in this situation would do a name search, get his address, and make a bill of sale, making up a signature. Are you 'some people'?

sprinter911 is offline Associate Member
    i'm glad to see your issue was resolved. I would have had some good advice if it hadn't since I have a great deal of experience in civil court actions. You should always maintain the paper trail. Copy of the title signed over, receipt for the cash you were paid for the car, etc. Pointless info now though since you're gtg.

--Sprint

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    Sweet.. celebration..

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    If your name is still on the titled then your f****ed. Always sign over the title before you hand the keys over.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    LUCKY.

Yes you really need to turn in the bill of sale/title with his signature or YOU could be on the hook for any accident or injury to someone else.

Thread Information