Gas fitter dave is offline New Member

Do I move family go oz?

Okay so I'm a gas fitter as my name stats applied to oz to move and work out there but stuck with the dilema of do I move me wife 2 kids and the dog out there?

Pro's as I see it

Nice weather most of the time
    better schools for kids
    big building boom out there
    better valuefor money on houses
    and generally thinking that it will give the kids more oppitunitis on life

con's

no family round us for support
    starting at the bottem of the ladder again in work having to re-build a reputation
    misses ain't keen on big spiders lol
    less pay (cheaper living though sort of balences it out)
    spending all savings to do it not liking it coming home and having nothing

So what would u do

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    are you saying theres a chance you'll move out there without the wife and kids? LOL cuz if so..... you'll get to live the 2nd life I been dreaming about

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

to be fair my missus said I could go for 3 months to c how well I could earn so for those 3 mo the yes I would be lol

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    If you do say hello to the scarecrow.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas fitter dave View Post
    to be fair my missus said I could go for 3 months to c how well I could earn so for those 3 mo the yes I would be lol
    OH MAN..... you've got the opportunity of a lifetime here. Where do you live? I'll come over and help you start packing...... just remember to fill me in on all details so I can live vicariously through you.....

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    head there for the winter... sounds like a good plan. Worth the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    OH MAN..... you've got the opportunity of a lifetime here. Where do you live? I'll come over and help you start packing...... just remember to fill me in on all details so I can live vicariously through you.....

~Haz~
    I'm a Essex lad near the coast and if your a manual worker then there is some large amounts of money to be made out there at the mo they r spending billions of dollars T the mo in the building industy. Rumour has it that people like myself r earningŁ1500 dollars every couple of days the math says it all!

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    head there for the winter... sounds like a good plan. Worth the experience.
    Living in Ireland i have many friends that moved permenantly to Australia.. But all of them were single so its a tough call. Try it out for three months and take it from there.. Maybe have the wife and kids come visit and see what they think.. It all depends what part of Australia you are talking about also.. that place is frigging huge!!!!

Thats the route we have been looking at me going for first 2 months then them joining me for a few weeks but like u said is a tough call when my son is mad for his nan and grandad!

how old r the kids?

Boy is nearly three and daughter is 9 months so only babies if I was going to do it would do it before they start school

yeah, but that young (3yo) they make friends real fast.

I would have imagined living in England you would have a good number of people in Australia.. although i suppose England's number one export isn't people like it is in Ireland.

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    If it's less pay and you have to wipe out your life savings to do it I would just stay where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    If it's less pay and you have to wipe out your life savings to do it I would just stay where you are.
    i think he means the life saving would be spent on a house there.. since i imagine if he is like anyone else in the world right now if he sells his house now it will be at a loss. (you can always rent it though) Last i heard Englands real estate is begining to recover

correct me if im wrong

I was lucky when I brought my house I paid very low price and as it stands I have Ł50.000 colateral in it so I could survive for a while and would rent for first year just to make sure and rent out my house so if did go all wrong I could still have a house but if went well I could sell the house but like u say lots of what's ifs to consider!

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    Okay so I'm a gas fitter as my name stats applied to oz to move and work out there but stuck with the dilema of do I move me wife 2 kids and the dog out there?

Pro's as I see it

Nice weather most of the time
    better schools for kids
    big building boom out there
    better valuefor money on houses
    and generally thinking that it will give the kids more oppitunitis on life

con's

no family round us for support
    starting at the bottem of the ladder again in work having to re-build a reputation
    misses ain't keen on big spiders lol
    less pay (cheaper living though sort of balences it out)
    spending all savings to do it not liking it coming home and having nothing

So what would u do

cheaper living??? where did you hear this mate?

to get a decent house will cost you about 600,000 aud unless you wanna live far away from the beach or a scummy place.

food is dearer here and cost of living has gone up i.e. electricity, petrol

but this place id beautiful

p.s. gear is dearer too lol

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    ^^ T-gunz is right, cost I living in Oz is so jacked you need 100,000 per year to support a family, I live in Tokyo, and it is cheaper then Oz, lol. The good thing is, with a trade such as a fitter, you should make good money.

I don't think you should pass up chances like this, change is good.

Anyway...all the Poms I know that went to Oz, stayed.

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Mate, At the end of the day it can only be up to you..

I don't know where your from so i don't know just how different it will be for your family.

Also Oz is a very big place and it is different in different areas (costs etc)

I come from the north of Qld and when i am finished here i have a house there and i will be back (i love it there), would never live in Vic or syd for exp as the lifestyle i like is better in the north.

Like i said it depends on you and your family, what your lifestyle is etc how old are you kids, i have known many that just love the freedom and outdoor lifestyle but i have also known some that miss there home...

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    you gotta be rich like me to live in aus.

rbg
    rbg is offline Junior Member
    I moved from the UK to the USA, the hardest part is not having any family around. Your wife is not going to have any friends or family and it can get real tough on them especially when you're at work, and she's always with the kids and no one else.

We moved to the USA with kids about your age, and 5 years later we still haven't got anyone we can count on and trust so we can go out alone. It doesn't mean you'd experience the same problem, but it's something to consider.

All I would add, is that being from the UK, and living elsewhere, you get to realise all the things we take for granted there, especially healthcare. You could put your stuff in storage, rent your house out, and take a trip out there. If you find steady work, and your wife and kids settle in, then make it permanent.

Australia is a very nice place, and it all comes down to where you choose to live. Don't make the same mistake I did, and jump straight in and buy a place immediately. I wish I'd rented to begin with. I would have realised that after living where we chose to live in the beginning, and finding that we didn't like it, we would have still had all our money to move state. With the down turn, we can't get rid of the house, and after putting tens of thousands into it, it's still not worth anymore than what we bought it for. Hanging onto your money is key. If you move somewhere there in Aus, see if you can make it financially without having to dip into your savings. If you can, then you'll make it.

It sure is beautiful there.

Good luck.

We also considered america as we have some good friends in new Mexico but think I would struggle for work there but don't no ain't really looked into it

sigman roid is offline Ar's cockney geezer Retired
    Stay in essex dave "Theres only one southend on sea"

On a serious note the way the economy is all over the world at the moment i would stay put.
    Last edited by sigman roid; 08-05-2010 at 07:33 AM.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Quote Originally Posted by sigman roid View Post

On a serious note the way the economy is all over the world at the moment i would stay put.
    Australia has handled the GFC without going into recession, one of only 2 in the developed world. Our interest rates have gone up in last 2 years 6 times just to slow the economy.
    There is alot of work for you in Western Australia, you can earn serious dollars on off shore rigs, and if you have mining background there is over 80billion in projects about to start over next 2 years alone. It is very expensive here, but if your earning the good coin you won't notice.
    I'd suggest Perth for you, plenty of poms if you get homesick. Try it for few months, you won't have regrets that way. Perth is prob the best place to raise a family here. Goodluck whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by auslifta View Post
    australia has handled the gfc without going into recession, one of only 2 in the developed world. Our interest rates have gone up in last 2 years 6 times just to slow the economy.
    spot on!!

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Is there a Mucho Burrito in Australia? If no, thats a deal breaker

This is true and it ain't so bad here in Southend and as I live right near the beach the kids love it but I still think that oz may have more oppitunitis for my ids as they grow up.

This is true and it ain't so bad here in Southend and as I live right near the beach the kids love it but I still think that oz may have more oppitunitis for my ids as they grow up.
    Honestly dave its a big decision to make mate im sure there are better opportunitys for the kids over there though..I'd love to leave England and live over there unfortunatley they wont have me

Sig has not always been a upstanding member of the community if you know what i mean.

I'm fortune enough I never got caught lol

sigman u Essex to or just assumed Southend as it's well known?

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Honestly dave its a big decision to make mate im sure there are better opportunitys for the kids over there though..I'd love to leave England and live over there unfortunatley they wont have me

Sig has not always been a upstanding member of the community if you know what i mean.
    poor sig, first they send criminals, now they won't let you in

I'm fortune enough I never got caught lol

sigman u Essex to or just assumed Southend as it's well known?
    Im down in London Dave but always up by you in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by auslifta View Post
    poor sig, first they send criminals, now they won't let you in
    I know....Bastards

Cool cool I'm always all over London with work been round islington latley. Drop us a email when round this way mate always good to meet the members u got kids?

Cool cool I'm always all over London with work been round islington latley. Drop us a email when round this way mate always good to meet the members u got kids?
    Will do Dave...yeah i got kids 4 mate so always take them down southend when the weather is good.

Thread Information