DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

I met the most tarted (not re) mechanic in my life today.

I took my shop in for a tire rotation 2 weeks ago. I am away on business and don't have access to any of my tools. Well i finally get some time off and go home. I change my oil and i went to pop my tires off and check the brakes. The lug nuts are on so tight neither my older brother (bigger guy) myself or my electric impact tool can brake the nuts free. I figure screw this i'll just take it back to the douche that over tighten them, no biggie.

Ok so i go back he asks how he can help me. I tell him that he over torqued my lug nuts and that i can't get them off. Guy said "we normally torque them to 90lbs." I said there is no way it's at 90 but regardless can you just break them and retorque to 80lbs. He said not a problem.

So i watch the guy bring my car in, take the lug nuts off via air gun then put them back on and with the same gun. He comes in and says "here you go all done." I said ummm does that air gun have a torque setting (i saw it, I knew it didn't but didn't want to be an outright dick right off the bat) ? He said No. I said then how do you know how tight the nuts are? He paused and said "Well i just didn't push the gun all the way like the last guy did so you should be fine." I said don't you guys use torque wrenches? He said "Well, we do but if i put it on with a torque wrench it would make the nuts a lot tighter. So tight you probably wouldn't be able to get them off again." I was utterly dumbfounded.

I took my keys and went to a local mechanic. I walk in; guy says how can i help you. I said when you put on tires do you use a torque wrench. He paused and gave me an odd look and mumbled "uhhh yea why ?" I explained the story to him. He came out to my car with a torque wrench and said he will make sure they are torqued. Come to find out that about 4-5 lugs were just about hand tight! I tipped the guy and went on my way. At least at this point i know the tire won’t fall off. When i get home next week all my tires are coming off and i will make sure everything is correct. In the future i will NEVER, i mean NEVER have any of these stupid **** EVER touch my car.

Charlie6 is offline Senior Member
    see that's why you really gotta know whose working on your ride.

It's taken my parents years to find a good guy in town to stick with

you should call this douche bag's supervisor and let him know. especially if you won't be back that way ever again

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    that will teach you...next time...do it yourself

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    all these good qualified people out there looking for a job, yet these numbnuts still seem to be employeed everywhere? i don't get it.

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Attachment 109294

One stop tyre change

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    some stupid trainee prob. we've shitty chains like kwik fit over here, wouldnt piss on 'em and they do innocent non mechanically minded ppl by putting on shit they didnt even need. trust these pratts with brakes etc? no thank you!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    that will teach you...next time...do it yourself
    Yup. I would have if i wasn't away. Next time i'll wait until i go back home.

goodlifting is offline Associate Member
    i run into the same fvckin issue in my area. you just cannot trust anyone with your vehicle.

luckily you took your tires off and discovered that before you rims broke clean off your hubs. it's tough to find good little shops anymore.

sprinter911 is offline Associate Member
    In my line of work I come across this often. This one case I'm dealing with involves a shop that did a brake job on some 18 yr old kid's Acura. The kid put the wheels back on himself because he didn't want the impact wrench to scratch his aftermarket rims. Anyway....the kid is driving on the highway a few days later and the front left tire came off and bounced across the center divider into oncoming traffic. It bounced and went right through the windshield of a guy traveling with his wife. It hit the driver. He died a couple days later after a few days of conscious pain and suffering. Now the Estate of the decedent is looking for money, and alot of it. They'll get it too. Poor guy was just driving on the highway. No time to react.

Sorry for the depressing story. Moral is....make sure your lugs are torqued properly.

--Sprint

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinter911 View Post
    In my line of work I come across this often. This one case I'm dealing with involves a shop that did a brake job on some 18 yr old kid's Acura. The kid put the wheels back on himself because he didn't want the impact wrench to scratch his aftermarket rims. Anyway....the kid is driving on the highway a few days later and the front left tire came off and bounced across the center divider into oncoming traffic. It bounced and went right through the windshield of a guy traveling with his wife. It hit the driver. He died a couple days later after a few days of conscious pain and suffering. Now the Estate of the decedent is looking for money, and alot of it. They'll get it too. Poor guy was just driving on the highway. No time to react.

Sorry for the depressing story. Moral is....make sure your lugs are torqued properly.

--Sprint
    Why the hell would the shop allow this kid to put the wheel back on himself ? So tarded !

sprinter911 is offline Associate Member
    Local shop. The kid lives close by and he paid in cash. Big mistake and completely tarded!

The wife will get more money than the dead guy though. She witnessed the whole thing from the passenger seat and has to live with it for the rest of her life.

--Sprint

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    some stupid trainee prob. we've shitty chains like kwik fit over here, wouldnt piss on 'em and they do innocent non mechanically minded ppl by putting on shit they didnt even need. trust these pratts with brakes etc? no thank you!!
    Ya Advanced Shitstop I call em bunch of donkeys. I have to go there with the company vehicle due to them being on contract but they take about an hour and half to just change 4 tyres which is rediculas imo and have no respect for the wheels just throw them about the place and they also charge an arm and a leg for the tyres. I do check all the nuts to make sure they are tight because they are a bunch of blithering idiots like the above that DSM posted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
    Ya Advanced Shitstop I call em bunch of donkeys. I have to go there with the company vehicle due to them being on contract but they take about an hour and half to just change 4 tyres which is rediculas imo and have no respect for the wheels just throw them about the place and they also charge an arm and a leg for the tyres. I do check all the nuts to make sure they are tight because they are a bunch of blithering idiots like the above that DSM posted.
    i see your in2 your italian motors mate, ive a tastefully modded fiat coupe 20vt for sale shortly if ya know any1 after one?

Skyler is offline I thought I knew it all...WRONG!
    I come from a long line of mechanics, and I am also a mechanic. I am just so used to the work that it doesn't seem even half way complicated or hard. So I sometimes let others work on my car when I don't feel like messing with it, or as a favor ( I will explain) because I figure "Hey, anybody could figure this out, no way they will screw it up".
    Wrong
    I no longer let anyone touch any of my vehicles, ever, not even for an oil change.
    I took my old F150 to a shop where my buddy worked to get the oil changed, because they were slow all day, and needed some work. I guess they check all the fluids, etc.
    Well, for some reason they drained my transfer case fluid and never refilled it. I don't know why, but thats what happened. Less than a hundred miles later my vehicle is screaming and grinding, and won't accelerate. I pull over. Transfer case is fried. I had to pay out of pocket to go get one froma buddy and put it on myself.

I took my wifes motorcycle in to my buddies shop so they could change the oil. They way over filled it and the thing built up way too much crank case pressure, was shooting oil out every where it could, fouled out the plugs, soaked the air filter, etc.

To keep it shorter, I can just say that literally EVERY TIME I take one of my vehicles anywhere to let anyone work on them, I always end up regretting it.

AlphaGenetics is offline Senior Member
    You got to watch out for mechanics. My step dad owned a shop and would charge people for jobs he never did. I always try to do my own stuff and usually when the jobs finished theres a few bolts left over but its better than getting ripped off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaGenetics View Post
    You got to watch out for mechanics. My step dad owned a shop and would charge people for jobs he never did. I always try to do my own stuff and usually when the jobs finished theres a few bolts left over but its better than getting ripped off.
    lol, i like your style, i am tht amateur monkey mechanic also

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    DSM is loosing tires!

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I took my shop in for a tire rotation 2 weeks ago. I am away on business and don't have access to any of my tools. Well i finally get some time off and go home. I change my oil and i went to pop my tires off and check the brakes. The lug nuts are on so tight neither my older brother (bigger guy) myself or my electric impact tool can brake the nuts free. I figure screw this i'll just take it back to the douche that over tighten them, no biggie.

Ok so i go back he asks how he can help me. I tell him that he over torqued my lug nuts and that i can't get them off. Guy said "we normally torque them to 90lbs." I said there is no way it's at 90 but regardless can you just break them and retorque to 80lbs. He said not a problem.

So i watch the guy bring my car in, take the lug nuts off via air gun then put them back on and with the same gun. He comes in and says "here you go all done." I said ummm does that air gun have a torque setting (i saw it, I knew it didn't but didn't want to be an outright dick right off the bat) ? He said No. I said then how do you know how tight the nuts are? He paused and said "Well i just didn't push the gun all the way like the last guy did so you should be fine." I said don't you guys use torque wrenches? He said "Well, we do but if i put it on with a torque wrench it would make the nuts a lot tighter. So tight you probably wouldn't be able to get them off again." I was utterly dumbfounded.

I took my keys and went to a local mechanic. I walk in; guy says how can i help you. I said when you put on tires do you use a torque wrench. He paused and gave me an odd look and mumbled "uhhh yea why ?" I explained the story to him. He came out to my car with a torque wrench and said he will make sure they are torqued. Come to find out that about 4-5 lugs were just about hand tight! I tipped the guy and went on my way. At least at this point i know the tire won’t fall off. When i get home next week all my tires are coming off and i will make sure everything is correct. In the future i will NEVER, i mean NEVER have any of these stupid **** EVER touch my car.
    technically you can torque them down accurately with a pneumatic impact gun cause they make extensions that flex at the appropriate lb'age... but since he just did it by "feel" with an impact, he is a fukken idiot and could get charged with neglegence possibly causing damage.

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    You haven't been over this way yet,,,,,

Had one place tell me the car was ready while there was still a tyre missing....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    technically you can torque them down accurately with a pneumatic impact gun cause they make extensions that flex at the appropriate lb'age... but since he just did it by "feel" with an impact, he is a fukken idiot and could get charged with neglegence possibly causing damage.
    They are called flex sticks. Trust me this guy wasn't using one. I think he was more amusing with the air gun tool sound then worrying about my car.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I know what you mean, I have seen the same thing and it's frustrating they dont have a clue what a torque wrench is or what is is for. They dont understand the risks of under tightening the lugs like in the above story of the guy who died or over tightening them and causing your rotors to warp and brakes fail or snap off your lugs when going down the hwy.

You can not always do the work yourself but you need to be aware of what is being done at all time.

With wheels you should always re torque the lugs after another 100 miles or less ever if you know they where done correctly and after ever oil change check your oil/fluids immediately before driving. Yes it's near impossible to check the transfer case or rear end without being under the car.

BTW I have had to use a 4ft breaker bar on the lug nut bar/wrench/T to loosen lugs. Sometimes it takes a little leverage, not muscle. I always keep a 4ft pipe in my garage. Yes I have snapped lugs also. I learned if it's REALLY tight try turning it clockwise (tightening) just a little first, besides using penetrating fluid.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 08-08-2010 at 11:23 PM.

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    whatever you do, never apply heat to a tire rim, nut, or stud.....even if he tire is loose, flat and hanging on the rim...

here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUVzgCHHuA
    Last edited by HitIt; 08-09-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    They are called flex sticks. Trust me this guy wasn't using one. I think he was more amusing with the air gun tool sound then worrying about my car.
    thats awesome... first day on the job, getting aroused by power tools

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    thats awesome... first day on the job, getting aroused by power tools
    When I take the lug nuts off at my house I make the air gun tool sound in my head.
    Zuuuuupppppp zuuuuuuuuuup

DCI
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    i see your in2 your italian motors mate, ive a tastefully modded fiat coupe 20vt for sale shortly if ya know any1 after one?
    Mint savage cars them log into www.octane.ie there will be people there looking to buy it there man. I'd have it only that I just bought a 156.

Blog Entries
    Mint savage cars them log into www.octane.ie there will be people there looking to buy it there man. I'd have it only that I just bought a 156.
    cheers for the heads up on the link mate. yeah they are dynamite wee coupes, love the bloody thing but alas, im now after more power lol. would love a gtv cup if i could find a good one. had a 145 cloverleaf when they came out.
    heres a pic of her anyhow, wit the blade

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fiat and fireblade.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	109317

DCI
    Man that is epic Love it, rediculasly clean must meet up with ya and have a look at it someday.. Why not change the turbo etc and bang it up to about 350bhp. GTV Cup's are mental money in the UK still and holding there value. There's a lad I know that has a 3.7GTA 147 in england running 330bhp rapid yoke altogether he may put it up for sale I'm not sure yet. I had a 146 but crashed it and sold it on there yesterday and got a 156.

Blog Entries
    Man that is epic Love it, rediculasly clean must meet up with ya and have a look at it someday.. Why not change the turbo etc and bang it up to about 350bhp. GTV Cup's are mental money in the UK still and holding there value. There's a lad I know that has a 3.7GTA 147 in england running 330bhp rapid yoke altogether he may put it up for sale I'm not sure yet. I had a 146 but crashed it and sold it on there yesterday and got a 156.
    yeah, i got it at 35,000 miles 2.5yrs ago (from a traffic branch cop!!), only 53,000 on it now, its spent most of its life as a w'end/fair weather motor, the blade is my workhorse. i have a hankering for either an R32 or a Focus ST now

DCI
    R32 GTR? Great cars them and very sneaky only way to tell it's a 20VT is by the brakes lol Lovely cars I could have sold ya KW Variant 2 coilovers for it.

Blog Entries
    R32 GTR? Great cars them and very sneaky only way to tell it's a 20VT is by the brakes lol Lovely cars I could have sold ya KW Variant 2 coilovers for it.
    she has a full koni set up

na, an r32 Golf mate, after comfy refined power nowadays, aka as getn old lol

DCI
    Koni's are hard Ah get a GTA there faster And R32 golfs are common in dublin

Blog Entries
    Koni's are hard Ah get a GTA there faster And R32 golfs are common in dublin
    ah, the temptation lol

DCI
    You know you want to Italian cars are more fun than german especially an R32 there not worth a piss fast.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    I think that is my quadding buddy, seriously I have seen him do pretty much that. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion62 View Post
    Attachment 109294

One stop tyre change
    I have seen many shops like this in Thailand, they are everywhere and actually most of them are pretty decent for the basics and you really dont have any other choice.

Stigmata101 is offline Senior Member
    When I take my underwear off at my house I make the air gun tool sound in my head.
    Zuuuuupppppp zuuuuuuuuuup

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    I am very adament about the DEALER servicing the vehicle. They have all the necessary and proper equipment for your vehicle, they deal with nothing but your vehicle all day, and they can be held accountable if they f**k it up. You also generally deal with far more professional people in at the dealership service then you do at a local place. I also believe in only driving/owning a car if its under warranty, and then getting rid of it soon after the warranty expires. I have had some bad experiences, and am absolutely tired of shelling out money for repairs, and having inadequate work done.

The many many boneheads I have met who neglect to use torque wrenches when tightening lugs just blows my mind. I've had more then a few mechanics/techs tell me "You really only need to worry about using a torque wrench if you're tightening heads or something, not wheels".......Morons.

rbg
    rbg is offline Junior Member

I'd make a point of reporting the tard before he kills someone...

Thread Information