Charlie6 is offline Senior Member

Unhappy I'm socially "behind" because i don't like/know sports - its gettin bad

So I work at a bar and not only do I have to answer any sports questions or questions about brackets at work with "I don't really do sports," but people just look at me like they're thinking "whoa, that's reallly bizarre"

and I also have this new chicky friend I've been chillin with but hanging out with her and her roommate (a dude) is really uncomfortable and I feel so out of place because they sit there and bicker about their brackets and some player that we all should know.....and I have NOTHING to respond with.

I think i'm making this too big of a deal than it needs to be, but I just feel like I'd finally be socially "current" in my life if i knew the basics about [football] teams and a few well known players and could engage in conversation with it

so i'm sitting here wondering how I go about learning about sports, i need to start with the basics like when the season starts and how long itis and how many teams there are and stuff

any recommendations on how to [not jokingly] learn? I'm just going to start googling "football for beginners" and see where that gets me

I think its almost taking a shot at my self esteem when this hot lil girl can spit sports stats and know all these names of players

recommendations and thoughts?

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    start watching sports center man...... read up on football and baseball..... how to play it..... then tune into sports center and catch up LOL

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

I think that's all I can do man, thanks for chimin' in

It's not like this is a huge issue, but I think it's a loneliness thing, my friends in Minnesota were the best friends i could ever have and nobody really talked about sports, and it was beautiful. but around here where i am now, everyone talks about sports. I think I just gotta start checkin out espn.com and stuff

i don't have cable so sportscenter will be tough, but everything is online these days anyways

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie6 View Post
    So I work at a bar and not only do I have to answer any sports questions or questions about brackets at work with "I don't really do sports," but people just look at me like they're thinking "whoa, that's reallly bizarre"

and I also have this new chicky friend I've been chillin with but hanging out with her and her roommate (a dude) is really uncomfortable and I feel so out of place because they sit there and bicker about their brackets and some player that we all should know.....and I have NOTHING to respond with.

I think i'm making this too big of a deal than it needs to be, but I just feel like I'd finally be socially "current" in my life if i knew the basics about [football] teams and a few well known players and could engage in conversation with it

so i'm sitting here wondering how I go about learning about sports, i need to start with the basics like when the season starts and how long itis and how many teams there are and stuff

any recommendations on how to [not jokingly] learn? I'm just going to start googling "football for beginners" and see where that gets me

I think its almost taking a shot at my self esteem when this hot lil girl can spit sports stats and know all these names of players

I totally feel your pain on this one. I have also at times almost started to do the same thing as you with the research but then i said F that. I am not going to do something i don't want to just to please others. I know the basics like you but when it comes to stats and names im done.

I had this kid bust my balls at a party one time saying man you can't even name such and such (something about a football player) i turned around and asked him what the first step to changing his oil on his car was. He looked at me like i have 1000 heads. He said how is that suppose to be manly ? I said well considering my sister knows the answer to the question that pretty much makes you a pu$$y. Everyone got a laugh out of that except him.

Just stick to what you know and throw it in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I totally feel your pain on this one. I have also at times almost started to do the same thing as you with the research but then i said F that. I am not going to do something i don't want to just to please others. I know the basics like you but when it comes to stats and names im done.

I had this kid bust my balls at a party one time saying man you can't even name such and such (something about a football player) i turned around and asked him what the first step to changing his oil on his car was. He looked at me like i have 1000 heads. He said how is that suppose to be manly ? I said well considering my sister knows the answer to the question that pretty much makes you a pu$$y. Everyone got a laugh out of that except him.

HAHAHA well played DSM!

~Haz~

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

Blog Entries
    I never understood how remembering stats made you manly. Half the guys i hang with that can belt out stat after stat can't even run the length of a god damn football field. Give me a break.

I never understood how remembering stats made you manly. Half the guys i hang with that can belt out stat after stat can't even run the length of a god damn football field. Give me a break.
    LOL yea..... I can't remember stats for the life of me. I just follow my favorite teams and how they're doing. I've been an athlete my whole life..... playing sports year round..... and I can't be bothered with remembering stats. It's the gamblers and the fat old guys who follow that crap LOL

~Haz~

- Knockout_Power

jojomcgo is offline Associate Member

lmao,

You don't want to watch a bunch of guys in tight cloths running around throughing balls, hell i would of that next to prison that would be your idea of a wet dream!

Blog Entries
    I have no problems watching but I treat them like any other guy, get in, get off and get out. I don't want to know your name

that's really good advice dude, I'm gonna stick to that and think back to that first paragraph next time i feel overwhelmed with it

how about fantasy leagues? you guys do those?

I can get them, but again, everyone just bickers about their players in their brackets and i'm just like "....yup....."

I think once i can focus on bodybuilding again, I won't feel so alienated and I"ll be more confidant to stand up and think "**** you guys, just cause i don't talk about it nonstop like you do"

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    I admit it. I don't know squat about sports. I don't care to either.

I can't tell you how many times someone (sometimes even some of my students) are just absolutely shocked that I don't follow sports.

What....because I have muscles I'm suppossed to know who the hell Ochocino is?

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    if its not hockey i dont care...or CFL only when Calgary beat the living hell out of edmonton score was 52-5 yesterday

yea i guess its fine to not know much about them, but you gotta have this confidence to back that fact up and so I think i shall work on that today

alright, i gotta go mow lawns all day, i'll be back in a few hours

thanks for the responses, shit like this helps me get thru the day easier

NMacFar is offline Member
    It's funny you mention this because people do associate muscles with sports. They expect a bigger guy to chime in on how Donovan Mcnabb was traded or how ManRam (Manny Ramirez) nailed a grand slam on last nights game. It is nice to know at least the basics of sports because nothing is worse than talking to a pretty blonde who can show you up.

My advice is to follow up with YOUR city's teams, esp. baseball and football since they are now in season. Watch their highlights on your local news and learn the basics. Once you know the entire line up, coach and the basic plays you can move on to learning other teams. Next thing you know, you'll be at a bar talking to some hottttt blonde about how much you hate Manny Ramirez. HAHA

spiketannin is offline Associate Member
    i think if you have to learn sports do it for your job not friends. all my friends do the sports talk thing and after a while it just bores the hell outa me, i mean im a sports guy and all i watch my dose of sportscenter and games, but i like to get away from all that from time to time. i have the best time with my buddy whos like you dosent no a damn thing about sports, he dont even no who ichiro is, he dosent no anything really,and i like hangin out with him better than anyone else.so unless its job related sports imo dont matter.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Charlie6

I never did the sports thing either. I was that tiny kid in class that was smaller than everyone else, like one of the bottom 3 guys. Lifted hard for 10 years.. ate like shit or id be bigger.. Now I am pretty intimidating.. especially on the sauce. Im not afraid of anyone under 200 lbs. Im not afraid of the bigger guys either i just realize i probably wouldnt win in a fight. Anyway where am I going with this; I can spit sports with the best of them these days.

The way I do it is by asking a lot of questions, and throwing out the miniscule amount of knowledge I know, and never pretending to be some sports guru. I watch a lot of sports center and genuinely try to pick up on things. Heres the thing I have found in life. So you see a guy with a Steelers hat on right? All you have to do is start the conversation with something like "So what do you think of Roethlisberger?" and usually the conversation will blow up with a lot of joking and talking football. Then at one point of the convo, theres always this moment. The moment goes like this.

"Remember Dirk Diggler back in the 90s how he broke all those records?".

Being new to watching sports (relatively), also having it working against me that I have a drinking problem and have been drinking at almost every football game which makes it impossible to keep track of things, I have to wing it. What I usually do is just nod and not say a lot when this question happens. They assume that unless I live under a rock I know who they are talking about, and I have no frickin clue. What you can also do is change the subject with a question, or ask questions.

Finally, you may get busted, in which case I have found its better to own up to your lack of knowledge. The other day I said "Kurt Warner doesn't play for the Cardinals anymore?". Duh of course he doesn't. So i just said something like "I need to keep up with sports center more / watch more games" which is true.

HitIt is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i watch sports but i don't care about stats...that's for baseball card collectors...i don't do fantasy leagues and i tend to forget about what happened last season..i've got important stuff to store in my head and an era or how many yards someone rushed for isn't it. i'd rather get worked up about some astronomy or the engine i'm building in my garage..

I have no problems watching but I treat them like any other guy, get in, get off and get out. I don't want to know your name
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie6 View Post

This is how i see it.
    from a bronx tail.

Bill Mazeroski,
    I hate him.
    He made Mickey Mantle cry.
    The papers said the Mick cried.
    Mickey Mantle?
    That's what you're upset about?
    Mantle makes $ a year.
    How much does your father make?
    - I don't know.
    - You don't know.
    If your dad needs money, go ask
    Mickey Mantle. See what happens.
    Mickey Mantle don't care about
    you. Why care about him.Nobody cares.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Sports is life. I find it shocking when people have no clue who Tom Brady is or what sport he plays.

I know 3 people off the top of my head who don't know squat about sports. Two are gay (you think gay guys would like some man on man action lol), and the other is a redneck who doesn't even own a TV or computer. haha

Question: Is Jay Cutler a bodybuilder or a quarterback?

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HitIt View Post
    Question: Is Jay Cutler a bodybuilder or a quarterback?
    lol quarterback first, bb second

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    I'd think that not talking sports would make you stand out. Or talk about what you know (like DSM said). Makes you more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx View Post
    lol quarterback first, bb second
    trick question

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    I'm in the same boat. I don't watch sports and don't really care to. I do however, play sports. So when someone asks why I don't know about what player did what and when, I say "I'd rather play than watch"

Thread Information