Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member

Anyone else have A.D.H.D?

I was in a learning disabled class until 8th grade, where i was placed back into mainstream classes in school. I've always been smart, clever, and witty, but I've always lacked the ability to stay focused, especially on mentally drawing task.

I'm not lazy, and I manage, but I feel like I'm not what I could be. I have a huge amount of drive, and have accomplished a lot. But I'm always behind due to inability to complete task in the office.

Today I took a 8 hour class for a certification, and it reminded me again, of how hard it is for me to pay attention, even at 28.

Generally, I'm working sales, and it takes 15-20 minutes. I can brief myself on the products, and am working with the products daily so my product knowledge is up to par. But when I have to learn a new product, skill, or take one of these classes, it's hell on me.

In college, I would simply buy adderal as it was available and cheaper to buy, than it was to get a prescription. My focus was very accute with it, and I would not have made it through college with out taking 30mgs 4 days a week. It kept me calm, focused and on top of my task.

I know there are new drugs, non stims and less stims out there now. I was hoping another member could maybe share the results and experience they have had with them? or maybe friends/family have had.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    I started reading your story but got distracted so I can't help you

lol touche my friend

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    yeah, i am severly, and due to my body having resistance to most opioids, amphetamines, stimulants, etc.... i have to rotate a short release and a long release that i switch out for new ones every two weeks to keep my tolerance from building up the dosing lol

but if you want long release, go with vyvanse, it's a little expensive but it decreases hungry really well and doesn't increase heart rate much, plus it hits really hard for around 7-8 hours for me, but probably longer for ya'll since i have a tolerance to it, great stuff

if you want slow release then i would suggest something with a high ratio of dextroamphetamine to levoamphetamine like concerta, ritalin, or focalin(which is a stereo isomer of ritalin that's much more efficient)

Cost would be an issue for me, as I'm self employed and don't carry any health insurance.

Vitruvian-Man is offline Banned
    I've had terrible ADHD all my life. Medication is a way of life for me. It's kinda sad, but it's the reality of the matter. I cannot focus naturally whatsoever. Being on medication has done wonders for my life, and my career path, I highly suggest talking to your doc about it if you do have ADHD.

I've tried all the medications, I despise the long-lasting ones, I prefer short-acting ritalin 4 hour.

-VM

jccnewbie is offline Senior Member
    I have always struggled with ADD, not ADHD. But I have very similar problems. I find that coffee and repeating everything I hear back to myself in my head work best (short term) without going back to ritalin.

Although if I ever start a new job or something is going on where I really need to focus I need something to help. You don't have to take ritalin, but any OTC stimulant can work just as good if you find one that is just right for you. I like to use burn2 extreme if I'm going to be in a long boring meeting that is very important to stay focused in.

Play around with some (hydroxycut, xenedrine...) and only take it when you know you will need to stay focused. This is just the best way I have learned to deal with it but everyone is different.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    ive never been diagnosed with ADHD but i have all the symptons and 2 of my brothers have been diagnosed.....i tried ritalin and did not like it at all, just like being on Amphetamines, no way i could concentrate with that!

lexruger is offline Associate Member
    I have bad adhd even since i was a youngin..... i just pop a few zannys and chill... aderall makes me feell all drugged up

George is offline Junior Member
    i have the worst case of adhd .. i have had it for ever... god bless meds or i'd never got my degree

durak is offline Member
    add (not adhd) all my life and getting worse. I have used all the stimulants and can now take 60mg (2 30's) of adderall xr and go to sleep.

Recently I started taking Nuvigil (tried provil but did not work). It is for narcolepsy and shift work sleep disorder (had to get my doc to use the shift work for insurance). It is very different. I am much more attentive. There are no stimulant side effects for me. When needed I add an additional Adderall XR.

BTW most of these drugs have co-pay assistance or straight out free programs for those with low income or no insurance. I used them like clockwork when getting a graduate degree.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I take 40mg vyvanse, it's a low dose but helps a LITTLE. My doc seems to be really reluctant to give out any ADD/ADHD meds even though I have seen him for 20 years, he knows I dont abuse anything and I actually did a ADD/ADHD study for over 6 months when I was unemployed the MORE than proved I had ADD.

If I drink enough coffee I can catch a little buzz/caffeine high but if I only drink one or two or a single/double espresso I'm ready to sleep in about 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by durak View Post
    add (not adhd) all my life and getting worse. I have used all the stimulants and can now take 60mg (2 30's) of adderall xr and go to sleep.

Recently I started taking Nuvigil (tried provil but did not work). It is for narcolepsy and shift work sleep disorder (had to get my doc to use the shift work for insurance). It is very different. I am much more attentive. There are no stimulant side effects for me. When needed I add an additional Adderall XR.

BTW most of these drugs have co-pay assistance or straight out free programs for those with low income or no insurance. I used them like clockwork when getting a graduate degree.
    Interesting. I will look into that since I do have ADD and I work grave-shift, 6pm - 6am

Thanks for all the input guys,

I am willing to try different drugs, I know doctors are hesitant to give the stims, and as long as the non-stims work, that's fine with me.

I dropped out of college accounting, simply cause I could not focus and I just did not want to keep buying adderal off kids to make it through college.

I know there are sides to adderal, adderal XR and what ever other stim. I think the benefits out weigh the side effects for me though. My life gets really stressful from not being able to focus on the mental task necessary in my career.

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    I cant focus for anythings, i will just find other stuff to do. if i try writing a paper i have to take breaks every 15 to 20 minutes or i just space out and will be on myspace or searching for music

durak is offline Member
    You also have to learn to manage yourself. In my doctorate I HAD to wake up at 2am 7 days a week. So 5 hours of peace and quite pure focusing on studying. If I did not do this my ADD would kick in before I got much done. I learned once I left the house, my productive studying was done for the day.

Also, no music or tv on. If i could help it I would not turn on my laptop either.

izerkon is offline New Member
    yeah i have add. i was using eating dexamphetamine's like lollies for a few years, but have just chosen to change to a non-stimulant medication called strattera, because i can't eat for shit on dexamphetamine - which kinda hinders putting on weight!!!

i dont know how you guys can be on ritalin/dexies and still eat big?!

Quote Originally Posted by izerkon View Post
    yeah i have add. i was using eating dexamphetamine's like lollies for a few years, but have just chosen to change to a non-stimulant medication called strattera, because i can't eat for shit on dexamphetamine - which kinda hinders putting on weight!!!

Careful, strattera has some strong sexual side effects, not in a good way. I did my research before choosing Vyvance

izerkon is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Careful, strattera has some strong sexual side effects, not in a good way. I did my research before choosing Vyvance
    hey bud

i now realise this (after being on it about five weeks). it's ****ed. im mid cycle test e 500mg/wk, and got nil sex drive.

for the first month i was worrying i had bunk gear because my libido didn't kick up - but then i started seeing gains and the starts of gyno and realised my stuff wasn't bunk, and that it was just these little ****ers that have killed me in bed.

i'm torn, because i dont wanna lose my libido, but at the same time, i dont wanna lose my appetite!

i hadn't heard of vyvance before - but i will do some research into it - thanks...

how do you find it?

im in my last semester at uni studying accounting and finance, and want to be playing around with meds as little as possible.

I go to see my doctor tomorrow at 3pm.

I'll be sure to keep you guys posted.

How did the doc appointment go?

I have a buddy who is a drug rep and vyvance is one of his that he peddles. He gave me the low down on what was what and to stay away from the strattera.

The Vyvance is the only one I have used so I cant really compare it to anything else. I defiantly get the stimulant effect most of the time. I have not really tried reading yet, that is the big test but the concentration does seem a little better.

6ft5 is offline Member
    I have ADD bad. Found out when I was in college. Working full time and being in class 25 hrs a week, have a son and moved outa town for school. I always have a lot going on so that I can do whatever I want to complete things I my own time. That doest work well w others sometimes. I was on aderol for a few months. I shrank like I was strung out on dope. So now I'm off meds and been off for years I'm just not me when on.. O well I have things I exell in so that's what I do, I have other ways of taken care of other things, or I just don't do it

Appointment went well, sorry for the delay.

According to the doc, non-stimulants are limited, Stratterra being the most common and in his experience, don't work that well.

I've expressed my concern that I don't need a life time drug, just help when classroom time is required or task that are in need of focus.

He sent me to the head doctor, waiting to hear from them. I'm assuming a 2 hour test from here to determine if I have A.D.D. and after that they play with the dosage to see what fits me the best.

Vitruvian-Man is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by izerkon View Post
    A f**k-load of test + EQ does the trick for myself lolll

-VM

durak is offline Member
    You build up a resistance to the side effects. I can take 2 30mg Adderall XR and go right back to sleep. My hunger has increased over the past year or so. This is true even when I throw in a 30mg Focalin XR to boot.

Garbanzo Dude is offline Member

Cost is an issue for me so I use IR Adderall ir IR Dexedrine to study....right not I'm using 40mg of Strattera but only 2 hours prior to sleep cause it make you super sleepy, yet help smooth out the adderall at the end of the day.

Oh yeah, just a few Nuvigil's from my friend, they rock!! and yes MUCH better than Provigil......price like gold ounce for ounce.....

durak is offline Member
    FYI, I tried straterra many years ago. For some reason it made me very emotional. I am not an emotional guy and let me tell you, I felt like balling watching chick flicks with my GF. Needless to say I quit that and went back to adderall.

scary....

Today my OCD was kicking in at the gym. I straightened out the entire dumbbell rack. I had every dumbbell paired up properly before I left. hahaha They must love me. I also usually straighen out the free weight racks or at least the ones I am using for bench with the 2.5 and 5lb on top, 10 and 25 in the middle, 35 and 45 on the bottom. I hate it when it's all mixed up. LOL

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Today my OCD was kicking in at the gym. I straightened out the entire dumbbell rack. I had every dumbbell paired up properly before I left. hahaha They must love me. I also usually straighen out the free weight racks or at least the ones I am using for bench with the 2.5 and 5lb on top, 10 and 25 in the middle, 35 and 45 on the bottom. I hate it when it's all mixed up. LOL
    should see me when im at home and I have friends over, im watching where they step wats coming off from there shoes, where they r putting shit so it meets where I want it. The list goes on.

But it's ironic this is a interesting thread, I have always wondered
    if i have adhd or add, I have trouble keeping focusing in studies
    since I am doing my telecommunications and networking diploma this year.
    Although ever since I was in high school tell up to now I have question it

So what are the signs, and how would I know I have it or could it
    just be a really low attention spam?

How much would these meds affect my BB since it does suppress
    appetite?
    Also what are the chances of even gettings these meds prescribed?

durak is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boz88 View Post
    :

appetite?
    - most do suppress appetite
    - not hard to get. do your research and use keywords associated with add/adhd

durak is offline Member
    lovbyts: thanks for starting my day off with a laugh. i bet the club does love you.

should see me when im at home and I have friends over, im watching where they step wats coming off from there shoes, where they r putting shit so it meets where I want it. The list goes on.

appetite?
    Not hard to get prescribed although some doctors like to send you to visit a shrink for one visit but 90% of the time the will give you what you need.

ADD and ADHD are different. ADD you will mainly have trouble staying focused on any one thing. You will do many projects and probably finishing none or few 100% Also I and most people find READING being the biggest challenge.

ADHD you have the same but you are hyper most of the time. Caffeine will actually calm you down a lot of the time. I really dont have they hyper part BUT if I drink less than 3 cups of coffee it will put me to sleep. I usually just avoid coffee.

lovbyts: thanks for starting my day off with a laugh. i bet the club does love you.
    Yes Im sure some poor kid walked in there after seeing all the weights on the floor earlier dreading to pick up the 100 lb dumbbells to put away and finding the whole place straightens up was like WTF since I was the last one out of there.

appetite?
    For me the effects of ADD:

-Lack of focus
    -Great at starting task, multiple task, but are rarely finished
    -Answer questions, before they are fully asked
    -blurt out comments or statements with out thinking

Those are my biggest factors, but my doctor says a lot of people suffer from getting frustrated easy, and have a short fuse too. I'm really humble and stay pretty optimistic when things don't go as planned.

The medication will affect you like any stimulant will, loss of appitite and weight loss. For me, it's not a huge issue. I bulk up to 6' 220 and like to stay around 210. I don't want to be over 215lbs at my BF.

I can function on a day to day basis, just fine. But when class room time is required, taxes need to be done, books to be setup or a program needs to be learned, i need help, or it won't get done.

6ft5 is offline Member

appetite?
    Well at the doc office they will give you a test(like aq rating test to see how u feel and react to situations. Depresion has some of the same charicteristicds of ADD. Then they will interveiw you, and ask more questions. Then will prescribe probly a low dose then come back for a check up. Anuther test and interveiw. Then up the dose or lower it, or cahange medication depending on how u are. Ect,ect. Till they get you on the right meds. I quit taken mt scrip becouse I shrank but I got ript. All my friends said I act weird and look to skinny... I have a job that has a lot of phases and I'm good at puttin it all together/multi tasker. Aderol slowes me wayyy down.

6ft5 is offline Member
    Lol I'm on the tredmill, watchen tv, on the black berry, thinking about my workout in a min. And what's for dinner. But this is easy. Lol!

Hmmm maybe it's because of my ADD I like sleeping with 2 or 3 girls at the same time

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6ft5 View Post
    Lol I'm on the tredmill, watchen tv, on the black berry, thinking about my workout in a min. And what's for dinner. But this is easy. Lol!
    Hmm thanks for the input fellas, but yeah I have to figure out how
    I am going to approach the doc about it.

lol your multi taksing skills are above average. Does forgetting
    lots of things that were need to be done
    have anything to do with ADD or ADHD because my mind is racing 100miles majority of the day?

Also I found I get really tired toward the end of the day i usually get 6-7
    hours sleep, on nights that I have class the next day.
    It really affects my focus and class time that could be vital to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information