Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Help me convince the wife to let me get my Harley...

I've been wanting a bike FOREVER! My wife is totally against it - and I respect her opinion, but I don't want to wake up 60 years old one day and think about the things I wish I did when I could.

I want that damn bike, and I want it now. What can I do? I need to manipulate or say whatever I need to, help me out!

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    dump her

TRT2010 is offline Member

Nuff said.... yeah i know kind of cold blooded an tasteless

V8Assassin is offline Junior Member
    build a racecar, it's safer

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Just get it

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    Take a safety lesson and see if you can involve her in some way. Let her take a bike course with you and that way, she'll get into it and it may give you some leverage. GL..

bigboomer is offline Associate Member
    Just buy one and roll up to the house on your new bike...Shell get over it..might bitch at you forever bit it with subside some..

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ I did that with a mustang GT once.. lol.

digismash is offline Associate Member
    bro just get her on one, my wife digs the vibration lol done deal!!

bigboomer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Igifuno View Post
    ^^^ I did that with a mustang GT once.. lol.
    Lol..if your going to do it, might as well be on a sweet ass mustang gt!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Tell her you will take out a 1 or 1.5 million life insurance policy before buying it with her being the beneficiary.

I bet she will have it for you the next day gift wrapped.

Get the bike. It's your decision, don't let anyone tell you what you can and cannot do. Next thing you know you will need her ok for everything. That sounds like a comunist dictator.

Stigmata101 is offline Senior Member
    ^ i agree....do what you have to do...the last thing you want is that regret at 60

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen Sosuke View Post
    Get the bike. It's your decision, don't let anyone tell you what you can and cannot do. Next thing you know you will need her ok for everything. That sounds like a comunist dictator.
    Nice exaggeration.

MaNiCC is offline AR's Think Tank - Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tjax03 View Post
    Nice exaggeration.
    When you married, it aint an exaggeration

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    they are cheaper than they have ever been. Get yourself a nice used number that some dumb@ss had garaged. Insurance is SOOO cheap (so long as your not a yougin). Gas is great.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Tell her she can give you anal.

Quote Originally Posted by MaNiCC View Post
    When you married, it aint an exaggeration
    I guess it depends on what kind of person you marry.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

But yeah, really, she can go f*ck herself. Do what you want. You only live once. You gotta live for the present, cause yesterday is gone and tomorrow you could be dead.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Mate, make a compromise.. there must be something she likes/wants that you dont agree with?

olderfella is offline Associate Member
    What you worrying about who wears the trousers in your house lol

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    Mate, make a compromise.. there must be something she likes/wants that you dont agree with?
    ya gbrice75....there must be something she wants.....like hmmmm maybe your huge vagina you big pu$$y....maybe after you douche you wont want a harley anymore...

haha gbrice has a vagina.......

jk

Nice exaggeration.
    It's not an exageration. Women will try with the smallest of things, if you give in to prevent a fight or simply sadness from her then you are done. Things will escalate from that point on. Next thing you know you are living someone else's life. I am actually speaking from personal experience. I snapped a long time ago. I hope the op makes the right decision.

It's not an exageration. Women will try with the smallest of things, if you give in to prevent a fight or simply sadness from her then you are done. Things will escalate from that point on. Next thing you know you are living someone else's life. I am actually speaking from personal experience. I snapped a long time ago. I hope the op makes the right decision.
    Once you understand that, you can have awesome relationships with any woman.

I read a book about negotiations and this is the bottom line:

To be a good negotiator, you have to be willing to walk away from the deal.

It applies to dealing with women too.

come on now guys...a relationship is about a partnership... you wouldn't be ok with her getting a 30k something without your ok....same goes the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    come on now guys...a relationship is about a partnership... you wouldn't be ok with her getting a 30k something without your ok....same goes the other way.
    If it's her money and her dream, I don't give a sh*t.

that's just it...you get married...it's not her money or your money...it's both of your money.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    that's just it...you get married...it's not her money or your money...it's both of your money.
    And that's why I'm not getting married.

Quote Originally Posted by ReX357 View Post
    And that's why I'm not getting married.
    It's ok, you can admit it. The reason you are on gear, and into looking good, is so you can find a sugar momma to take care of you.

You are assuming that all women are like you wife/girlfriend. Fortunately, that is not the case.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Tell her you will take out a 1 or 1.5 million life insurance policy before buying it with her being the beneficiary.

I bet she will have it for you the next day gift wrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by ReX357 View Post
    It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
    I see the quotes I use here often are catching on. This is the 2nd one I have seen tonight used that I frequently use here.

I also agree, whos money is it? Yes it may be a partnership but how much does your partner contribute? MOST contribute 1/3 or less but they have control or MOST of it and if/when they decide to leave most of the time they leave with 80% or more. Dont let anyone kid you about 50%

If the bike is something you have always wanted, dreamed of dont let anyone crush/stop your dreams. If it's not going to be a financial strain on you then why not?
    Last edited by lovbyts; 09-13-2010 at 04:55 AM.

You are assuming that all women are like you wife/girlfriend. Fortunately, that is not the case.
    Unfortunately they are all alike, just give them sometime. And it's not my wife or girlfriend, she is an ex. And all the ones after her have tried on different levels if you like I could list the examples and have failed at it because of my experience. On the money issue it is true, once you are married it's both your money so from a financial point of view both parties should be ok, especially for a big investment like the bike. However if you could afford it and her reasons for stopping you (which I would love to know) are different then be ready to walk away from the deal like a wise man posted earlier.

airguard0909 is offline New Member
    hey whats up! just lookin to shake a hand and meet a new friend. i dont know anyone so i guess i got to meet some people.

Get the bike. my wife didnt want me to get one. but i got one anyway. she still dont want me to have one but she likes that my mind is in to something than going out with the guys. its better to go riding than to go drinking.

NMacFar is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Igifuno View Post
    Take a safety lesson and see if you can involve her in some way. Let her take a bike course with you and that way, she'll get into it and it may give you some leverage. GL..
    This really is good advice. I would try it.

SuperBird is offline Associate Member
    cry. not like a sobbing buffoon. but work up some tears and tell her you feel like life will be over soon either by tragedy or age. and that this is something that you feel would bring each other spiritually closer, together, just the two of you and the open road. symbolic of your future together.

if that doesnt work, the next time shes watching daytime tv, ask her if shes happy with HER life. and then take a dump right there on the carpet. THEN proceed to cry like a sobbing buffoon.

JuiceBox12 is offline Junior Member
    Sit her on one rev it up to about 5k and if she still thinks it's a bad idea you have bigger problems than no bike.

just shit on the carpet

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    the classic standoff!

Mate. Same woman for 25+ years. Riding since 15... never even owned a car til I was 25. went about ten years once without a M/C. Never again.

I used to ask my woman about whether or not I should get this or that. she would always say no.... didn't matter if it cost money or not. 1989 we had a new house. two living rooms. Buddy says i can have his pool table for free, he will even deliver. I ask my woman and she says NO, it would be too "tacky"?????? So no pool table. 5 years later, my buddy wants to sell me his harley for $1,500 (a steal).... I have the cash, so I ask my woman, and she says NO... we need the money for somehting else.. so i'm like wtf!!?? my buddy ends up selling that same week for $5k to someone off the street.

My last harley, i saved my money for ten years, walked into mitchells hd in modesto, ca, and paid the guy cash for an Ultra Classic.

Once a marriage gets to a certain point, you know she aint gonna leave ya if you make a decision.

But, you need to take that POWER away from her when it comes to these types of decisions.

Now, let me ask you a question you aint gonna like.
    You save any cash for this harley, or do you think you'll just buy it on credit?
    If on credit, that's money away from the family.
    If cash, that means you are really serious about this decision, and have been planning this for quite some time.

I know in our society of instant gratification, people want to make big decisions about purchases on a dime.

I would say (forget about ANY sporty) you will probably pay at least $15k for any used harley. I would also say if you could save about half, your woman won't have much leg to stand on.

If you are going to buy on credit, she is going to be a big say in this matter.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I've been wanting a bike FOREVER! My wife is totally against it - and I respect her opinion, but I don't want to wake up 60 years old one day and think about the things I wish I did when I could.

I want that damn bike, and I want it now. What can I do? I need to manipulate or say whatever I need to, help me out!
    Let me guess.... this is your first bike?

if yes, let me give you my .02

buy a cheap yamaguzi jap rice bike to learn on. This bike I call a "dumper" which means if you dump it, you are only out a little cash. Once you get the hang of it, then you are more ready for some american iron, which can be quite heavy. My bike is running 800 lbs and is pumped to the teeth. Most harleys are NOT beginner bikes. Every one of the guys i know that have dumped their bikes, turns out, were rookies. hard to believe a guy 35+ can be a rookie, but sure enough, alot of these guys put a second on their house and bought their first harley. These are the guys that when we ride in groups, we stick them in the middle, (i usually ride tail to prevent stragglers, and so that rookies don't crash into me)

this is the same advise I give all rookies, not saying you are a rookie, obviously i don't know that.

btw...the motorcycle doesn't have to be a you thing...it can be a do together thing. My wife came with a motorcycle when I met her...she likes to ride passanger but doens't know how to ride. Anywho...we ride all the time just for fun or when we don't have the kids. It's relaxing for everyone so long as there isn't a stick up there (ars)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information