ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"

Proposal #357: New Color Scheme.

So this is what I think the forum's color scheme should look like:

High resolution picture here:

http://tinypic.com/r/iddbuf/7

Changes:
    - Page background white instead of that gray
    - Title bars and menubars in blue (taken out of the logo to keep proper branding
    - Subtitle bars and subbars in light blue that is already there.
    - Message body background in white.

The changes are little but they give a more profesionnal feel to the forum. The color scheme is cool & calm with a pharmaceutical feel to it.

The removal of the different gray tones makes it much easier to read. Keeping the color scheme to 3-4 colors max is good design practice.

What do you guys think? I'd like to take it to admin.

NOTE: The picture above is just a screenshot that has been modified fast. You will notice there's a little bit of gray inside some of the letters. If admin was interested, I would make a few soft gradients for the titlebars.
    Last edited by ReX357; 09-29-2010 at 10:08 AM.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    i like it.. i think the gray makes me tired..

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    the dull colors have bothered me more than anything else on this new update....maybe a little more zip in colors might help...more vivid and crisp and sharper...will look newer actually
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 09-29-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    we also need to fix the data set (search function). the new format seems to be more than a format. anyone try to search by userID yet? I can only pull threads since the new format.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Hope you guys who are doing all of the sweat equity on this new update take this in a constructive way please...and not get your feelings hurt. I know you have been working around the clock on this...or assume you have..but while you are at it, why not help make the appearance have more zip! my .02
    I'm pretty sure that what they have right now is the stock color scheme.

sigman roid is offline Ar's cockney geezer Retired
    I still think the light blue colour is to light it needs to be bolder........The colours now make me want to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by sigman roid View Post
    I still think the light blue colour is to light it needs to be bolder........The colours now make me want to sleep
    I hear you on the light blue being a bit light. However, there is a 'brand' that is already established with this website and steering away too much from it would leave long time returning users lost a bit. Removing the grays and keeping one the colors is a compromise so that people don't feel too disoriented.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    okay....I just compared the old site with this new version. One thing that pops out is this: in the older version, there were thin crisp black lines (border)framing the light blue areas and also the gray areas and white areas too.. plus a thin border which encompassed the entire post of a member in order to separate one member's post from another. .Perhaps it is this one slight thing that is making the page look less bold to the eye and making everything look like it blends together....hence a duller look.

my .02 observation!
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 09-29-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    okay....I just compared the old site with this new version. One thing that pops out is this: in the older version, there were thin crisp black lines framing the light blue areas and also the gray areas and white areas too.. plus a thin frame which encompassed the entire post of a member in order to separate one member's post from another. .Perhaps it is this one slight thing that is making the page look less bold to the eye and making everything look like it blends together....hence a duller look.

my .02 observation!
    You are right about that. It is exactly what's making this board look worse right now.

However, I'd still like to say that the old board looked boring as well. It wasn't hard on the eyes but it still looked boring. I still think the look needs to be freshened up a bit.

Being the biggest board on the net, I feel we should look like we are.

Also, I would change a little bit of the order of stuff.

For instance I'd bring the site navigation (the ugly dark blue thing with the site sections) at the very top (I would make a bar for it with dropdown menus).

Bring the "***********.com" ad above the bread crumbs and have the bread crumbs right above the "Post Thread" / "Post Reply" button.

NOTE: For those who don't know what bread crumbs are, it is the path of the current page displayed at the top ie: Forum :: General Forum :: AR Lounge :: The Thread You're viewing
    It provides an easy way to navigate back to the forum you're in or forum categories.

Something like this:

Full picture: http://i53.tinypic.com/2zpty09.jpg

Anyone else? In light of the recent complaints regarding the new layout I figured I would generate more response.

Thread Information