Skyler is offline I thought I knew it all...WRONG!

My F*cking Legs Are DEAD

I know most people don't work out to failure, or push their limits, but I always do.
    I know most people like to skip leg days, are keep them short and easy, but I don't.
    Tonight was an EPIC leg night.
    Started with Explosive positive, Slow negative leg extensions to failure
    Went to Hammer Strength Hack Squat to failure
    Then Barbell Jump Squats (where I go ass to grass, pause and decompress in the hole, explode up fast enough to jump off the ground as high as i can, then upon landing, let my knees relax enough to immediately go back down ass to grass) to failure.
    Next was Barbell Half Squats to failure.
    Followed by Dumbbell Walking Lunges across the gym, twice.
    Last was Super Narrow Machine Leg Press to failure.
    Finished with Seated Calf Raises.

All reps were done with explosive positives, and slow negatives. No more than one minute rest between each set and exercise. Everything to failure.

Most of the time a set would end with me seeing spots, feeling light headed, feeling unable to breathe, and I would have to lean sit down or lay down.

This was an AWESOME leg day.

What do you guys usually do for your leg days?
    I'm always looking for new ideas for an intense leg workout.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Try doing Rest pauses followed by drop sets followed by partialls on the leg press

That makes for an intense set

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    I don't know if it's still around but look into SwoleCat's leg protocol. It's absolutely horrible.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    Film it next time. I want to see you crawl from machine to machine

lol, I actually do plan on filming a few of my workouts in a few weeks. I got this handy little HD cam that is about the size of a deck of cards.

This way you can correct form if need be. It's nice to get a second point of view from your own perspective.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I get a better workout in the shower room.

Agreed. Plus its very motivating for me. I have filmed my workouts in the past, and it is a very different experience to watch myself working out. Totally cool though.
    What do you do for your legs?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Squats, lunges, ext.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Here I can't seem to find the thread but found a SwoleCat approved rewritten version of it:

Legs

start with 4 or 5 sets of leg extensions and curls at high rep:

the leg extensions/curls are together one set, thus you do a set of extensions lets say then quickly move on to curls, then rest for about 2 minutes...thats one set..

do this with a weight you can do about 15 reps of , at a "3/2 tempo"...3 seconds down, 2 seconds up.

this will get your legs ready for the 5 sets of squats from personal experience, at this point you're already cursing SC and the ground he walks on)
    ...newho

5 sets of squats at a weight you can do 15-20 reps of, also at a 3/2 tempo...SC mentioned that u wanna do a weight that u can physically do 15 of, and mentally get to 20 with...thus the last 5 should be so hard and painful that you'll wanna... (insert some funny exaggeration here)...

he mentioned a little about proper squat technique among other tidbits I won't try to remember....the main points I remembered were to make sure you're pushing with ur heels, have ur feet slightly more then shoulder width if u like, with toes very slightly pointed outwards...the 3 seconds down will obviously be nice and slow, and the 2 seconds up will be somewhat of an explosion...

he also mentioned that "ass to the floor" technique is bs and you really only need to go down to a 90 degree angle at the knee pretty much...make sure you feel the force in the hip and not the lower back...if u do, focus the push on the heel of ur foot, as stated above..oh and make sure you dont bend ur back at the top of the rep, keep it nice and straight and squeeze the hell out of ur legs at the top.

thats pretty much what I remember, it works great, burns like hell, and I'd recommend you bring some sugared/salted water or gatorade etc if u dont already...cause I lose like 5 pounds of water everytime i do this routine, you'll wanna make sure your electrolyte levels dont fall too low, almost passed out...

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Agreed. Plus its very motivating for me. I have filmed my workouts in the past, and it is a very different experience to watch myself working out. Totally cool though.
    What do you do for your legs?
    Depends on my routine.

I'm on a power/hypertrophy. Power days 5x5 with accessory. Hypertrophy a few multi-joint movements complimented with isolation 3-4 sets 10-15 rep range

Thread Information