unclemoney is offline Senior Member

need help with deadlift

I decided to start doing deads, I tried starting about 3-4 weeks ago and as soon as I went to a 60-70% 1RM for sets I had an EXCRUCIATING pain in my upper left trap.

The weight/lift was easy but the pain was too much in the trap, felt like a pinched nerve or something. So I backed off from the deads and stuck with squats for about 3-4 weeks...

Just today I went back to try and do deads again. I started with a light weight which was extremely easy with only mild pain in my trap. As soon as I went to a weight were I could actually feel my muscles working but yet still easy that excruciating sharp pain was there again and as I tried uping the weight just for a set it was horrible...

Does any1 have any suggestions or am I doomed to squat from here on out with no deads?!? :P

Scabtree is offline Associate Member
    Yes, it could very well be a pinched nerve. Motor functions are supplied by the ventral rami of the third and fourth cervical nerves which run through the traps. I would for sure see you physician about this; especially if it is a sharp pain that happens instantly

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you are doing poor form.

this sounds like a probable cause. I will have my kinesiologist check it out with some muscle testing. As for the poor form I have my feet directly under the bar my shoulder blades over the bar my back straight, chest out, looking up/forward, I curl my toes up and lift off my heel till locking out my knees/hips without hyperextending my lower back, I then drop the weight back to the ground hips unlock first then knee's then drop the weight at a freefall and repeat.
    Last edited by unclemoney; 12-17-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Well I'm back and it was a rib that had gone out, had him put it back in. Now no pain at all, back in the game!!!

Thread Information