Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member

For those of you that do Reverse Grip Bench

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCwrSFdeXyQ

holy fvck!

I thought I was cool hitting 315 for a few on the smith, lol.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    A beast.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Thats sick.

BuffBuffalo is offline Senior Member
    That's unreal. I was waiting for him to drop that on his face.

RaZr is offline Member
    So does that hit different muscles?

^^^One of the best mass building movements for triceps.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I can do 315 for 22rep.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I can do 315 for 22rep.
    That turns me on almost as much as your avi does...

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    I thought the grip was suppose to be narrower?

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's my boy Jay Hagadorn. He's a strongman and powerlifter. He's a former offensive lineman for Boise state. Great guy, I can personally vouch for the fact that he's all natural. Very religious guy who pastors his own church, but also owns a gym in Idaho. I can't express how great of a guy this guy is. He's freakishly strong as well. Squats and deadlifts over 800 as well.

The reverse grip bench is no longer allowed in powerlifting. The late Anthony Clark (first 600lb teenage bencher and former holder of the all time biggest bench) made a career out of reverse benching.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    nasty

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    impressive to say the least

BuffBuffalo is offline Senior Member
    Was reading that reverse grip bench had been found to activate the upper chest even more than incline bench. Any thoughts on this?

It's very good for tricep development, but it's murder on the rotator cuffs, plus if you don't have great technique, and you don't know your own strength, it could end very bad. Not very secure grip. I'd shy away from it unless you're a strength athlete. There are better ways to develop the triceps.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    It's very good for tricep development, but it's murder on the rotator cuffs, plus if you don't have great technique, and you don't know your own strength, it could end very bad. Not very secure grip. I'd shy away from it unless you're a strength athlete. There are better ways to develop the triceps.
    thats me out!! lol

Little76 is offline Associate Member
    I've actually used reverse grip a bit in my training.
    My coach said it's good for 2 things.
    1. Tricep strength
    2. Teach you to keep your elbows in.
    I've never, nor would I ever do it in the smith machine.

Bigmac, do you think it would be so harsh on the rotators is you used a barbell like me?
    I've never had rotator issues, but then again, I can't even bench 300 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Stickyman View Post
    I've actually used reverse grip a bit in my training.
    My coach said it's good for 2 things.
    1. Tricep strength
    2. Teach you to keep your elbows in.
    I've never, nor would I ever do it in the smith machine.

Bigmac, do you think it would be so harsh on the rotators is you used a barbell like me?
    I've never had rotator issues, but then again, I can't even bench 300 lol
    Do you mean using a dumbell? I don't know the effects of using a dumbells on reverse grip. I've never seen anyone do reverse grip bench with a dumbell. So I don't know. Rotator cuff issues usually come into play when people use too much weight with reverse grip benches. So being that you aren't moving a whole lot of weight (yet), I really don't see any issue with you doing them.

No I ment barbell. I thought it may be different because its not a fixed plane.

I'll never bench much.... My arms are way to freaking long!

Don't make that excuse brotha! LOL!!! I have an 84" wingspan and I'm a close to 600lb bencher. If you're not a strength athlete, I'd avoid heavy reverse grip benches altogether. I don't reverse grip at all. Hell, I very rarely do heavy bench presses. I do speed benches, board presses, and lockouts.

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Ive tried it but it just felt to strange. I may try it again just to see if it helps the chest like they claim and triceps.

I can't see it doing anything for the chest. It definitely fries the triceps though. BigMc would know better than me though if it has any development on the pecs.

^^^honestly, I've never seen a high level bodybuilder do them. I've seen Jay Cutler lift in Vegas, I've seen Paul Dillet and Flex lift here as well. I've seen Ronnie lift in Dallas and have never seen them do reverse benches. Every powerlifter that used to reverse grip in competition (Jim Vironin and the late Anthony Clark) didn't have tremendous pec development even though though both were 700lb benchers. From my experience the reverse grip incorporates the tris and delts into the lift more than a standard bench. Plus the natural range of motion for a reverse grip makes it easier to utilize whatever shirt your using. But like I said before, reverse grip benches are not allowed in powerlifting anymore. I talked to Jay (the guy in the vid) after he did this, he told me it was at the end of a overhead workout and he wanted to get a quick tricep burn. He doesn't do these very often and just wanted to test himself.

fattymcbutterpants is offline Senior Member

I used to think that was true but you couldnt be more wrong. I am tall and skinny and before I was 18 I could bench over 300...trust me I remember 135 feeling heavy and seeing the short kids doing it easy and I thought its just because my arms are so much longer....But before graduation I had caught and passed every single one of them and was the stronger than the entire football team on bench lol I felt accomplished for doing that at 6'5" 185lbs and 17yo. I was absolutely shredded at 185 so I wasnt a complete pole lol but still pretty skinny

I don't know where to even begin with the above post...6'5 and 185 and not a beanpole? Mine and your definitions of beanpole are definitely different.

yea talkin shit buddy i see how it is lol jk, but no man dont get me wrong I was skinny but suprisingly not like you would think. I was at about 6% bodyfat if im not mistaken, you could see veins at the bottom of my abs so definately cut so I had more muscle at that weight than most people but I promise for being an ectomorph type body I am alot bigger than you would think based on my height and weight

and you missed the point of that story lol I was saying that I wasnt some huge dude or anything just tall and skinny but still was able to bench alot so long arms doesnt affect it much was my point

[IMG][/IMG]
    beanpole lol

wasn't talking sh*t brotha but where I'm from no matter how much muscle you claim to have had and how vascular (vascular doesn't mean muscular), 6'5 185 is a beanpole. Hell where I'm from 6'5 and 220 is a beanpole! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Now, I realize that being that tall and skinny with a 300+ bench is pretty decent (at 17), so I'm not knocking that at all. I was just laughing at how your post and how you said you had more muscle on your frame than most at a shorter height. I just found it amusing and was merely commenting on the difference of perception depending how you were brought up.

No disrespect and no shit talking was intended, brotha. But if you want me to talk shit...I can! LOL! j/k

Yep let the shit talking fest begin haha jk, but no man I get what your saying thats why in that first post I put not completely a bean pole...still a little bit haha. I by no means think i am big whatsoever lol still a work in progress,...and I dont weigh 185 anymore haha

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I can do 315 for 22rep.
    yeah, but it takes you on one end and shol'va on the other

Blog Entries
    I been doing reverse dips. They been really good for something.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Don't make that excuse brotha! LOL!!! I have an 84" wingspan and I'm a close to 600lb bencher. If you're not a strength athlete, I'd avoid heavy reverse grip benches altogether. I don't reverse grip at all. Hell, I very rarely do heavy bench presses. I do speed benches, board presses, and lockouts.
    i agree with sticky.... my arms are quite long too, and everything else being equal, long arms means longer travel, means more work, means disadvantage, same with pushups.... doesn't mean it cant' be done.... but a bloke with a 64" wingspan has a seriuos advantage over a bloke with a 84"wing span...everything else being equal... just a matter of physics

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    i agree with sticky.... my arms are quite long too, and everything else being equal, long arms means longer travel, means more work, means disadvantage, same with pushups.... doesn't mean it cant' be done.... but a bloke with a 64" wingspan has a seriuos advantage over a bloke with a 84"wing span...everything else being equal... just a matter of physics
    Nobody's debating that fact Times. Remember I compete in powerlifting against guys who are 5'8-5'10 in the same weightclass as me (308 or superhvys). But I've out benched many if not most of those guys. What I'm saying is when you have long arms, you have to focus on your bench (triceps, technique, shoulders, etc). While most guys with long arms don't focus on their bench, they focus on their deads and squats. Just like shorter guys with short arms focus more on bench than deads because that is what they are 'built' for. So using the excuse of long arms doesn't always hold water. Now will I ever bench press 800 with my 84" wingspan...doubtful, but even with long arms you CAN have a big bench.

Maybe a beget way to say it is.....
    I'll never bench much because my arms are so long and I weigh as much as a 20y.o female .
    I'm sure that as my weight moves from 185 to 220, my bench will come up as well .

9za4ck4 is offline Associate Member
    not impressed i was doing that when i was a kid

Blog Entries
    Nobody's debating that fact Times. Remember I compete in powerlifting against guys who are 5'8-5'10 in the same weightclass as me (308 or superhvys). But I've out benched many if not most of those guys. What I'm saying is when you have long arms, you have to focus on your bench (triceps, technique, shoulders, etc). While most guys with long arms don't focus on their bench, they focus on their deads and squats. Just like shorter guys with short arms focus more on bench than deads because that is what they are 'built' for. So using the excuse of long arms doesn't always hold water. Now will I ever bench press 800 with my 84" wingspan...doubtful, but even with long arms you CAN have a big bench.
    Im 5'6 and cant bench for $hit but i sure love my deadlifts.

Thread Information