Thread: Mrsa

bushido3374 is offline Member

Mrsa

Just got back from about five days in the hospital for MRSA. The nurses administered IV antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.

I checked into ER on Wednesday night due to pain and swelling in my right arm. It ended up being the worst pain I can remember. After being stuck in an MRI for about an hour, the pain got unbearable. When I got back to my hospital room, while the nurse went to get pain med, I went in the bathroom to throw up. Barely made it in there before passing out.

I really thought I was clean before that. I'm going to have to figure out how to prevent this from ever happening again.

I've been googling staph and MRSA while I was down and was amazed at just how common this infection is.

How many of you have had one of these?

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Never had mrsa never want it. But it is common in the hospitals. I have a friend who has it and it will never go away on her. She had a back operation and they put in titanium in her back and it was infected with mrsa somehow. That was about a year ago and she still has drainage problems with a wound in her back. They put her on some high powered antibiotics, cant remember off hand the name of them but she was told they were about the only ones left that would battle this infection. so it is some bad stuff to get IMO. Also everytime she is admitted into the hospital she is placed in isolation. I'm sure Hazard knows all too well of it since I believe he works at a hospital. I'm not sure if you ever can get rid of this stuff or if it depends on where you have it located in your body or what. I don't have enough info on it myself. I do remember it being in the news a few years ago and them talking about what a bad infection it was to get because of it's resistance to most antibiotics that we possess.

It's true, Shol, that "once you have it, you always have it." Even if someone is no longer infected, they will always be a carrier. I read online that 25% of the population is always carrying staph, and about 1% carries MRSA around their nose, mouth, genitals and anus (DSM's cue for joke here). I'm understanding that the bacteria is pretty much always going to be present- that good hygiene is the key.

Damn- sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like a horror story. I ended up with "Community Acquired" MRSA, which is a hell of a lot easier to treat than the Hospital Acquired super bug- which as been exposed to so many antibiotics that it's about indestructible.

I'm not an expert with this stuff either, so if my stats are off or my accuracy is off, someone please correct me.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bushido3374 View Post
    It's true, Shol, that "once you have it, you always have it." Even if someone is no longer infected, they will always be a carrier. I read online that 25% of the population is always carrying staph, and about 1% carries MRSA around their nose, mouth, genitals and anus (DSM's cue for joke here). I'm understanding that the bacteria is pretty much always going to be present- that good hygiene is the key.

Damn- sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like a horror story. I ended up with "Community Acquired" MRSA, which is a hell of a lot easier to treat than the Hospital Acquired super bug- which as been exposed to so many antibiotics that it's about indestructible.

I'm not an expert with this stuff either, so if my stats are off or my accuracy is off, someone please correct me.
    Ewww, no more ass to mouth for you.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Glad you're doing well man!

I admittedly don't know a lot about MRSA..... we don't come across it too much. Shol - your friend probably caught it from poor practices by the doc, nurse, or scrub tech in the room. The only other possability is that the plate she got came in to the hospital unsterile and the sterilization department didn't sterilize it in the correct parameters. Most, if not, all of the implants that I deal with are sterilized using gamma irradiation to SAL -10 (Sterility assurance level) - it pretty much means that there is a 1 in 1,000,000 chance that something made it through alive.

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    doesn't sound good.... there's some weird sh1t out there.... hope it works itself clean, mate

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    i was wrestling with a buddy of mine in my basement and bangedf my leg against a table i had there that i got a garage sale. About ten days later i felt a trickle of blood running down my leg.. it was only a "strawberry burn" type wound before and now it was dripping blood. Went home after work and put hydrogen peroxide on it and it foamed up.. started to hurt worse.. took a few vicodin.. still hurt too much to sleep so i took two xanax's went up stairs and went to bed.. i kept waking up and passing out in hot sweats. in the morning there was a pool of blood/puss about 18" in diameter. when i went to stand up i collapsed and tears literally ran down my face from the pain. My mom came over that morning cause we were going to pick out paint for my spare room.. when she looked at it she helped me into her car and to my friend who was a doctor. He took one look at it and said "get him to an emergency room now or he is going to lose his leg" They cut out a 4" by 1" by 1" part of my inner calf and had me on an IV for a week.. when i went home my temp shot past 100 degrees again and i went back for another week.. i had Strep infection when i went in but caught Staph infection in there..

I was out of a job for 3-4 months and just starting my own company so i had no insurance.. total bill was $76,000

thing was they said if i waited another 12 hours i would have lost my leg.. 36 hours and i would have died.. nuts. i will never forget that pain though, it was the most intense pain i have ever felt in my life.. this is coming from a guy who has branded LOVE and HATE in his arms for fun.. it's crazy how that happened in a 24 hour time period..

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    MRSA is more common than we think. Hospitals are crawling with it. Its a form of Staph A...which there are many strains of.

Glad your ok.....ensure you take your med's on time...and ALL of it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    i was wrestling with a buddy of mine in my basement and bangedf my leg against a table i had there that i got a garage sale. About ten days later i felt a trickle of blood running down my leg.. it was only a "strawberry burn" type wound before and now it was dripping blood. Went home after work and put hydrogen peroxide on it and it foamed up.. started to hurt worse.. took a few vicodin.. still hurt too much to sleep so i took two xanax's went up stairs and went to bed.. i kept waking up and passing out in hot sweats. in the morning there was a pool of blood/puss about 18" in diameter. when i went to stand up i collapsed and tears literally ran down my face from the pain. My mom came over that morning cause we were going to pick out paint for my spare room.. when she looked at it she helped me into her car and to my friend who was a doctor. He took one look at it and said "get him to an emergency room now or he is going to lose his leg" They cut out a 4" by 1" by 1" part of my inner calf and had me on an IV for a week.. when i went home my temp shot past 100 degrees again and i went back for another week.. i had Strep infection when i went in but caught Staph infection in there..

I was out of a job for 3-4 months and just starting my own company so i had no insurance.. total bill was $76,000

thing was they said if i waited another 12 hours i would have lost my leg.. 36 hours and i would have died.. nuts. i will never forget that pain though, it was the most intense pain i have ever felt in my life.. this is coming from a guy who has branded LOVE and HATE in his arms for fun.. it's crazy how that happened in a 24 hour time period..
    How much do you have left on the bill ?

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    How much do you have left on the bill ?
    fortunately i qualified for a program that Sacramento had that if you owned your home for 3 years in the city of sacramento and was laid off in the past 6 months than the city paid for it..

i was dating the daughter of the head nurse for Kaiser.. so that is the only reason i probably got it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    fortunately i qualified for a program that Sacramento had that if you owned your home for 3 years in the city of sacramento and was laid off in the past 6 months than the city paid for it..

i was dating the daughter of the head nurse for Kaiser.. so that is the only reason i probably got it.
    Wow, good for you. That dept would have put me into a depression.

Machine- glad to hear things worked out. That's the kind of debt that I'd never get out from under. Sounded brutal. I've heard similar scary stories.

I think I picked this up on the BJJ mats. I messed up my financial aid for this term and decided to train full time. 3-4 hours in the morning classes and 2 in the evening. Maybe I wasn't getting home and showering fast enough and spent too long on the mats.

And thanks for the positive support, everyone else. DSM- you did not disappoint with the joke.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Dam all this stuff going around.Makes you want to stay home.Almost

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    I work in a hospital and there is always at least one patient with MRSA...

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    what the hell is MRSA

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by l2elapse View Post
    what the hell is MRSA
    A bacterial staph infection that is highly resistant to anitbiotics and is fairly easy to get especially during a stay in the hospital if proper disinfectact procedures are not maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by l2elapse View Post
    what the hell is MRSA
    Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, an antibiotic resistant staph infection

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    thanks for the update people

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    MRSA is nasty but you would be surprised how common it is. Where I used to work with 10 other people, 7 of them had it. Yes once you have it you have it but you will not always get break outs. Best thing to do is keep an eye out on your joints like your arm pits and behind your knees. If you see anything that looks like a whitehead get it cultured at the docs to see if it is MRSA or just a zit. MRSA likes to escape through the skin in the wet moist areas of our bodies.
    A lot of people have it and do ot even know it. It lives in our nasal cavities until an outbreak.

Geez- so I'm always going to susceptible to infections now?

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Quote Originally Posted by bushido3374 View Post
    Geez- so I'm always going to susceptible to infections now?
    Unfortunately yes. Keep your immune system up and this will help out.

Thread Information