terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member

Japan earthquake

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

we just got rocked!

I'm in Sth Japan working ATM, wife is in Tokyo....I could not get hold of her for 30 minutes after the first news of the quake....long 30 minutes I tell you.

She is saying that everything is still shaking.

drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    hey mate im just glad to hear shes ok thats the main thing

cheers man

lifterjaydawg is offline Senior Member
    glad to hear everything is ok

Ladyblahblah is offline Female Member
    Wow, very frightening indeed. So glad to hear that your wife is okay.
    Last edited by Ladyblahblah; 03-11-2011 at 02:02 AM.

No news from Tokyo yet as to damages

Watching Japanese news ATM, some real damage north of Tokyo, fires, explosions, tidal wave

BuffBuffalo is offline Senior Member
    Yeah it looks pretty bad on the news, they said tsunami alarms went off in Honololo after the quake in Japan. That's pretty serious.

n00bs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

we just got rocked!

I'm in Sth Japan working ATM, wife is in Tokyo....I could not get hold of her for 30 minutes after the first news of the quake....long 30 minutes I tell you.

She is saying that everything is still shaking.
    Thats ****ed man poor people..

Hope she is ok.

Everything is getting ****ed ATM... They need to stop playing with those weather changing devices!

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    I saw this on tele, looks devestating. Glad to hear you and your wife are fine.

tjax03 is offline Associate Member

Watching Japanese news ATM, some real damage north of Tokyo, fires, explosions, tidal wave
    Is it true that Japan is one of the world's leaders when it comes to "earthquake proof" architecture? Perhaps that may have mitigated some of the potential damage.

Quote Originally Posted by tjax03 View Post
    Is it true that Japan is one of the world's leaders when it comes to "earthquake proof" architecture? Perhaps that may have mitigated some of the potential damage.
    Japanese earthquake engineering would be at the highest level....needs to be that way, more quakes here then anywhere else. But the Quake Engineering Codes for buildings were only put in place around 30 years ago and we have a lot of old structures here, more so outside of the big cities. My apartment building is new and sits upon rollers, so when the ground shakes, the rollers freely roll, but the building above does not move with the ground...but it really sways sometimes....and can keep doing so for minutes after the quake has ended.

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    Japanese earthquake engineering would be at the highest level....needs to be that way, more quakes here then anywhere else. But the Quake Engineering Codes for buildings were only put in place around 30 years ago and we have a lot of old structures here, more so outside of the big cities. My apartment building is new and sits upon rollers, so when the ground shakes, the rollers freely roll, but the building above does not move with the ground...but it really sways sometimes....and can keep doing so for minutes after the quake has ended.
    That sound freaky as shit.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    God bless you and your family.

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Glad to see you and family are fine.

I went in Tokyo, Osaka and Sapporo several times and a few times I experienced the Japan's quake.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Hope all is well man...

Ive got a lot of friends in the Nagoya and Osaka areas and they felt it.

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    Watching videos on this and how quick the floods were comming in was insane. There were vechiles still driving and got sucked up with the flow of the water. Earth is fighting back!

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Some of this looks like out of 2012, I hope too many lives are not lost

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...arthquake.html

bushido3374 is offline Member
    Hey terraj,

glad to hear that you and your wife are okay...

My girlfriend's family lives in Kyushu in Miyazaki- she can't get a hold of anyone there by phone, and I can't find a decent link for updates for that specific area. Do you have any info on that area?

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    Some of this looks like out of 2012, I hope too many lives are not lost

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...arthquake.html
    Thanks for that video the best I have seen so far.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm hearing all sorts of news.

Apparantly 3 Nuclear reactors have had meltdowns/shutdowns over there.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    So happy to hear you and yours are safe. And hoping you continue to stay safe~

Quote Originally Posted by bushido3374 View Post
    Hey terraj,

glad to hear that you and your wife are okay...

My girlfriend's family lives in Kyushu in Miyazaki- she can't get a hold of anyone there by phone, and I can't find a decent link for updates for that specific area. Do you have any info on that area?
    Sucks not getting info you need. I just had look for info on that area, could not find shiit. Looking at a map, I would think that Miyazaki would be kind of sheltered from the fulll brunt of a Sendai area generated Tsunami. They would have had a good warning on anything coming.

DFOSTER is offline Junior Member
    wish everyone the best of luck over there horrible news

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    wow... just wow...

bushido3374 is offline Member
    Thanks for looking, Terraj!

Since my last post, my girlfriend got a couple of emails from her Dad and they're doing fine in Miyazaki.

I haven't heard back from my Okasan yet on how my aunt is doing in Tokyo, but just read a blog of a friend who's staying there, and it sounded like it wasn't too bad. I hope it was okay for your wife also. I assume she's okay?

Gma and aunt in Hiroshima shouldn't be affected too much, either.

cro
    cro is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    get the hell out of there.

cro
    cro is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    glad you and your wife are alright . consider this a blessing and grab her and head home. i dont believe that is over . it is very vulnerable to stuff like this over there.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I didn't see this post til now for some reason terraj. It's a terrible thing for sure. As long as your woman is ok, then you should be G2G. How 'bout her folks? Everyone there OK? I remember I was right in the middle of the Loma Prieta quake of 89... a very significant quake. This one, although of a similar magnitude, is costing more lives and causing much more damage. For you, being there, with with your woman and her family, emotionally, can be fairly taxing. Please don't misunderstand my intentions from the other thread. I do believe helping is appropriate. But it needs to be done correctly and with the right vehicle. And I'll tell you what. Seriously, if you send me a link, I'll send in $50. I know it's not alot, but if everyone here had the strength of their convictions and donated from their personal funds, then collectively, we could raise some serious cash.

Even better. I challange you to start a thread (with a link) asking others to put their money where there mouths are and see how much we can raise. And instead of this being anonymous, let's put our names and how much we donated. Some of you feel so strongly about this, lets see you put that into action. Instead of saying the government should do something, let's stand tall and proud on our own two feet and do this as men and women of free will and of our own volition.

Take it from here my brother....

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I didn't see this post til now for some reason terraj. It's a terrible thing for sure. As long as your woman is ok, then you should be G2G. How 'bout her folks? Everyone there OK? I remember I was right in the middle of the Loma Prieta quake of 89... a very significant quake. This one, although of a similar magnitude, is costing more lives and causing much more damage. For you, being there, with with your woman and her family, emotionally, can be fairly taxing. Please don't misunderstand my intentions from the other thread. I do believe helping is appropriate. But it needs to be done correctly and with the right vehicle. And I'll tell you what. Seriously, if you send me a link, I'll send in $50. I know it's not alot, but if everyone here had the strength of their convictions and donated from their personal funds, then collectively, we could raise some serious cash.

Even better. I challange you to start a thread (with a link) asking others to put their money where there mouths are and see how much we can raise. And instead of this being anonymous, let's put our names and how much we donated. Some of you feel so strongly about this, lets see you put that into action. Instead of saying the government should do something, let's stand tall and proud on our own two feet and do this as men and women of free will and of our own volition.

Take it from here my brother....
    After reading your posts and I can say that we are certainly not brothers TR, I think you are a small minded hypocrite who talks a lot with out saying anything...

If you read posts, you would see that I never said to send money, the US is already giving emergency aid with many Japan based troops searching and aiding those in need, providing shelters, blankets and logistics.....you know mate.... in a humanitarian crises we relieving suffering of your follow human being, this is what is excepted from developed counrty and in this case particularly, one with such close ties and a great presence in Japan....but you say sit back and let them save their own so we don't spend my tax money....money that you make working where???!!
    We all pay taxes, by doing so and living in developed counrties we expect our goverments to do the right thing. As for personal donations, if you can do it and get a tax deduction and think it is needed, then do so.

I won't be replying to any more of your wasted words.

Peace

Terraj
    Last edited by terraj; 03-13-2011 at 06:51 PM.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    After reading your posts and I can say that we are certainly not brothers TR, I think you are a small minded hypocrite who talks a lot with out saying anything...

If you read posts, you would see that I never said to send money, the US is already giving emergency aid with many Japan based troops searching and aiding those in need, providing shelters, blankets and logistics.....you know mate.... in a humanitarian crises we relieving suffering of your follow human being, this is what is excepted from developed counrty and in this case particularly, one with such close ties and a great presence in Japan....but you say sit back and let them save their own so we don't spend my tax money....money that you make working where???!!
    We all pay taxes, by doing so and living in developed counrties we expect our goverments to do the right thing. As for personal donations, if you can do it and get a tax deduction and think it is needed, then do so.

I won't be replying to any more of your wasted words.

Peace

Terraj
    Yes, the point I was trying to make was a subtle one, one that was apparently lost, unfortunately.

Not once did I say no aid to Japan.

Politically, I am a registered Libertarian, and the argument I pose is in line with those beliefs. The issue is centralized versus decentralized assistance.

I understand you are not in the best of moods right now, and I respect that.

And out of that respect, I will not comment on this topic again.

Thread Information