Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member

Settle a debate please...bodyfat levels of pro bodybuilders.

We're having a debate over in the workout section about the bodyfat levels of pros during the offseason. Amcon claims that some bodybuilders walk around at 3% for months at a time. Myself and a couple others claim that is not possible because research indicates that the body's natural body fat level is 2.5% anything below that would cause severe problems. He says that most bodybuilders get on stage at 1-2%.

I know there are several competitors on this forum. So I though maybe y'all could chime in and tell us who's right. I'm not a bodybuilder and neither is Amcon, so I thought we could get the info straight from the horses mouths.

Thanks fellas!

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    wow, thats super low... Jay claims to walk on stage around 4% and the moment contest is over (unless there is a show VERY soon) they bulk right back up cause sitting that low will inevitably cause muscle catabolisation

I knwo when my buddy gets on stage, he has his diet and training worked down to the days leading up to a show so he gets to about 5% 3 or 4 days out and the moment the shows over he will put on 20-30lbs in a week or so from water and food

Standby is offline ~AR's Nice Guy
    fouad was on stage in 2010 275lbs 3.7%bf

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Those numbers are insanely low. I know they walk on stage sub 5 usually but anything below 4 seems detrimental to health. Your organs need some fat for protection and to properly function. I would say they walk around at 7-9% offseason but again I'm no pro so we'll wait for them to chime in.

Depends how many shows you do really... if you are qualified for the O, you dont need to keep in top shape during the year to compete, you just fuel as heavy as possible for max growth. I think the day of those fvckers getting over 20% and just getting plain fat are over because of the amount of gh and how difficult it is to cut for long periods of time. Most of the boys I know sit between 8-12% when not prepping for a show

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    bcm 31 or what ever your name is listen - now your being a dick... yep a dick and if you dont like im calling you that bla bla bla...

and you are claiming that i have lost creditablity cuz i am reporting what i see and what is claimed from the body builders i know - never did i say all of them are 1-2 persent and never did i say all body builders keep that low of body fat for that amount of time - but i did say these guys so like it or lump it

if you want to ask me if all body builders do that no! just like all body builders dont gain 80 lbs in off season but some do!!

is it healthy? is it hurting their bodies? we didnt even bring that up cuz it is not relevant - these guys do! that is what i am saying (right or wrong they do)

and as for the top pro hitting the stage yes - they hit the stage between 1- 3 % body fat!!! do you think the top competors are going to give up there goals to hit the stage? if jay says 4 % and ronnie comes in at 3 % jay looses...
    Last edited by amcon; 03-15-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: because it was addressed in pm

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Standby View Post
    fouad was on stage in 2010 275lbs 3.7%bf
    damn close to what i was saying 1-3%

Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    Depends how many shows you do really... if you are qualified for the O, you dont need to keep in top shape during the year to compete, you just fuel as heavy as possible for max growth. I think the day of those fvckers getting over 20% and just getting plain fat are over because of the amount of gh and how difficult it is to cut for long periods of time. Most of the boys I know sit between 8-12% when not prepping for a show
    knockout - what are the guys you know goal to hit the stage at ? 3 - 4 - 5 %?

Quote Originally Posted by amcon View Post
    damn close to what i was saying 1-3%
    that was also just a guest posing not his actually comp show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuzAfetoQI4

sorry i was mistaken it is his show not a guess posing

Most pro bodybuilders on stage have a "reported" bodyfat of anywhere from 3-5% Keep in mind you naturally store 2.5% of your body fat through out the brain so I think that these numbers may be a little exagerrated but I think some of them probbaly do get as low as 4.5% body fat for a show. The lowest I've ever gotten for a show was 5.9%

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_perce...#ixzz1GjDQaxoE

this counter dicks what i have said - but what would they measure at the skin level of a three or five pinch caliper test? if you keep 2.5% if your brain and you measured at you skin level(the 2,5 % would not reg) what would you reg at skin??? cus im sure it would be lower than 5% the writer was quoting

knockout - what are the guys you know goal to hit the stage at ? 3 - 4 - 5 %?
    sorry, I dont understand what you are asking me? Are you asking what their target goal to reach before show would be? This comes down to personal preference for a lot of them. I know some say that one show they dropped super low and got so tired they couldnt do their routine so they went 1 or 2% higher next show but really worked on drying out more for their cuts. I would say that most of them aim for the 4ish range, some say 5 but definitely not as high as 6. That may win a local no name show if you are freaky big but no way a quality top level show would 6% get you a win, you would look like a blob next to a pro

bcm 31 or what ever your name is listen - now your being a dick... yep a dick and if you dont like im calling you that i will be in vegas from the 21st to the 28th we can take it up then...

and you are claiming that i have lost creditablity cuz i am reporting what i see and what is claimed from the body builders i know - never did i say all of them are 1-2 persent and never did i say all body builders keep that low of body fat for that amount of time - but i did say these guys so like it or lump it

if you want to ask me if all body builders do that no! just like all body builders dont gain 80 lbs in off season but some do!!

is it healthy? is it hurting their bodies? we didnt even bring that up cuz it is not relevant - these guys do! that is what i am saying (right or wrong they do)

and as for the top pro hitting the stage yes - they hit the stage between 1- 3 % body fat!!! do you think the top competors are going to give up there goals to hit the stage? if jay says 4 % and ronnie comes in at 3 % jay looses...
    Look you little shit... I'm not calling you out. I wanted to know the truth from bodybuilders. If you don't like the truth then don't post. And am I suppose to be scared because you'll be in Vegas? Are you serious? You're being an internet tough guy and it's almost laughable. And fighting your skinny little ass proves what? Like I posted on another thread, its a lose lose situation for me, I win, I beat up a person much smaller than me, regardless of whether the little idiot deserved the beating, I lose, then I just got whooped by someone much smaller than me. So where's my motivation? Cash, maybe?

So, all I was trying to do was get some real knowledge of the sport of bodybuilding, isn't this what this forum is about? If you don't like it, don't read the thread!

@ amcon

Bgmc's post didn't seem like it was dickheadish to me. Just trying to settle a debate. Although you calling people out on the Internet to meet up and "settle this" is pretty childish and partly dickheadish IMO.

After several years of a professional career, Ken’s body matured tremendously. At 3% bodyfat (the lowest a human can get down to), his best competition weight was 235 pounds. He says, “more likely, 225 pounds after depleting 10 pounds of water to the point where my body is very dry and crispy.” His arms grew to be almost 21 inches and his chest to be 52 inches. In the bulk up season, he has achieved 290 pounds (bodyweight) with 22.5 inch guns! As he was able to eat like a hot dog eating champion, Ken Yasuda - the legendary bodybuilder of Japan

Most pro bodybuilders on stage have a "reported" bodyfat of anywhere from 3-5% Keep in mind you naturally store 2.5% of your body fat through out the brain so I think that these numbers may be a little exagerrated but I think some of them probbaly do get as low as 4.5% body fat for a show. The lowest I've ever gotten for a show was 5.9%

this counter dicks what i have said - but what would they measure at the skin level of a three or five pinch caliper test? if you keep 2.5% if your brain and you measured at you skin level(the 2,5 % would not reg) what would you reg at skin??? cus im sure it would be lower than 5% the writer was quoting
    I was told by a doctor who competes that low single digits is horrible for brain function... should people stay a prolonged time in the 2-3 range I wouldnt doubt them having serious problems

sorry, I dont understand what you are asking me? Are you asking what their target goal to reach before show would be? This comes down to personal preference for a lot of them. I know some say that one show they dropped super low and got so tired they couldnt do their routine so they went 1 or 2% higher next show but really worked on drying out more for their cuts. I would say that most of them aim for the 4ish range, some say 5 but definitely not as high as 6. That may win a local no name show if you are freaky big but no way a quality top level show would 6% get you a win, you would look like a blob next to a pro
    yep that answers my qestion guys competing will get to as low at 1- 3% for shows - i never stated that was a good choice or not, just that they do do that

if I'm not mistaken the 2.5% would play a role. Bf measurements don't just measure subcutaneous fat but rather total bodyfat which would include the 2.5%.

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    Look you little shit... I'm not calling you out. I wanted to know the truth from bodybuilders. If you don't like the truth then don't post. And am I suppose to be scared because you'll be in Vegas? Are you serious? You're being an internet tough guy and it's almost laughable. And fighting your skinny little ass proves what? Like I posted on another thread, its a lose lose situation for me, I win, I beat up a person much smaller than me, regardless of whether the little idiot deserved the beating, I lose, then I just got whooped by someone much smaller than me. So where's my motivation? Cash, maybe?

So, all I was trying to do was get some real knowledge of the sport of bodybuilding, isn't this what this forum is about? If you don't like it, don't read the thread!
    feel comfy sweety im 6 foot 2 + and 258 lbs - im sure your in my catagory

Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    if I'm not mistaken the 2.5% would play a role. Bf measurements don't just measure subcutaneous fat but rather total bodyfat which would include the 2.5%.
    yah, I proper test would not just include calipers... those hydrostatic test could account for head fat as well... Im a fathead

yeah, once you add 2 inches and 50 more lbs, little shit!

he is +300lbs hes got a few on ya lol

he beat me to it

wrong you made it my thread to as you added my name in here! not what this forum is about - and i dont like it - that is why im commenting on it. kinda like the "howard stern effect"

you could have just asked for op's on body fat of pros in comp shape but you didnt you tried to discredit me for stating what is see form a select group of guys in the gym i go to... to quote you just stating the truth...

yah, I proper test would not just include calipers... those hydrostatic test could account for head fat as well... Im a fathead
    ya id assume calipers is how its done i dont think the fat in your head ppl really care about

SB's all excited that theres this much man meat in this thread

no body is showing up at a compititon with a water tank... but i do see calipers brought out after the pose down adn trophys are handed out...

not that that is accurate but it does give a measurement that can be comparied to other competors

yeah, once you add 2 inches and 50 more lbs, little shit!
    good then you wont have any issue - thinking you will look bad i'll spot you the 50 lbs the two inches dont matter.

wrong you made it my thread to as you added my name in here! not what this forum is about - and i dont like it - that is why im commenting on it. kinda like the "howard stern effect"

you could have just asked for op's on body fat of pros in comp shape but you didnt you tried to discredit me for stating what is see form a select group of guys in the gym i go to... to quote you just stating the truth...
    If I want to settle a debate by asking more people, I'm going to state who I'm debating with. I could care less if you think I'm trying to discredit you. I'm not, if someone posted siding with your theory, I'm man enough to say, I'm wrong. No big deal, debate settled. I don't get bent out of shape. It's not a big deal. Seems to me you have a major chip on your shoulder for no reason. Like I said, if you don't like what I post, feel free to add me to your ignore list. Challenging me to a fight with no money involved makes you look childish.

SB's all excited that theres this much man meat in this thread
    i love me some worked up angry man meat

he is +300lbs hes got a few on ya lol

he beat me to it
    good he will need the extra weight to stop me from throwing him on hiss ass

keep potential fight encounters to the PM's boys... the rest of the board thinks its pretty lame.

good then you wont have any issue - thinking you will look bad i'll spot you the 50 lbs the two inches dont matter.
    This is hilarious!!! Again, what's my motivation? What's in it for me? I'm too old to fight over some bvllshit internet crap. Grow up and you may be getting there to my size, but with your attitude, you're acting like a little shit. Hilarious! Grow up!

We're having a debate over in the workout section about the bodyfat levels of pros during the offseason. Amcon claims that some bodybuilders walk around at 3% for months at a time. Myself and a couple others claim that is not possible because research indicates that the body's natural body fat level is 2.5% anything below that would cause severe problems. He says that most bodybuilders get on stage at 1-2%.

I know there are several competitors on this forum. So I though maybe y'all could chime in and tell us who's right. I'm not a bodybuilder and neither is Amcon, so I thought we could get the info straight from the horses mouths.

Thanks fellas!
    bgmc is the bold where you think he is wrong or just getting to 3% for a couple of hours? im a little confused.

i was talking to a pro a few weekends ago and he said you only look that good for 1 day you can not walk around for months at 3%

keep potential fight encounters to the PM's boys... the rest of the board thinks its pretty lame.
    Agreed. I would never fight this cat anyway, KP. Wouldn't be fair, plus I don't fight for free. People pay me to protect them these days, so if I fight anyone there needs to be money involved. I so past this high school sh*t it aint even funny.

shut up about the fighting lol im asking serious questions here

bgmc is the bold where you think he is wrong or just getting to 3% for a couple of hours? im a little confused.

i was talking to a pro a few weekends ago and he said you only look that good for 1 day you can not walk around for months at 3%
    The debate is someone walking on stage at under 3% AND staying at that same bf% for quite sometime following the comp.

If I want to settle a debate by asking more people, I'm going to state who I'm debating with. I could care less if you think I'm trying to discredit you. I'm not, if someone posted siding with your theory, I'm man enough to say, I'm wrong. No big deal, debate settled. I don't get bent out of shape. It's not a big deal. Seems to me you have a major chip on your shoulder for no reason. Like I said, if you don't like what I post, feel free to add me to your ignore list. Challenging me to a fight with no money involved makes you look childish.
    lol - that s funny you need money to settle things ? thats is fine - you are wrong to add me in to this discussion... you could have said the same thing minus my name!!! nothing i said stated that this is how all body buyilders do compititions all i said - was that is how these guys do it... and they are huge! huge!

and i have never had a prob with you before, i would rather make friends then make messes if 300 lbs fat guys ... so just understand my point... dont try making me look bad, or call me out cus that is how some body builders do it.

The debate is someone walking on stage at under 3% AND staying at that same bf% for quite sometime following the comp.
    if they did, they must be Zyzz... I cant imagine the juice you'd need to be one to still add muscle mass while at that bodyfat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information