Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

The 'big guys' don't motivate me after all...

I just completed my first week of working out in the evening after almost 2.5 years of working out at 5:30am.

I was really excited, because I knew the more hardcore people worked out in the evening and I was hoping it would motivate me and I could catapult myself into the next level. I'm in better shape than 99% of the people that workout there in the morning, which isn't saying much when you see these people. I'm talking every gimp, cripple, and yawning zombie trudging their tired asses all over the gym. I've never seen more grey hair under one roof. It was getting nauseating and depressing, destroying my motivation.

Well, the opposite has happened. I got in there at night and feel COMPLETELY out of place. These guys are big, in shape, and I feel like a sniveling little scrawny rat scampering around the gym, trying not to be 'spotted in the light'. Instead of motivational, it almost makes me want to quit when I look at these guys, because i'm like "fvck it, it'll take me years to look like that". I really do feel like a little worm when I catch myself in the mirror and i'm next to one of these dudes. It's downright embarrassing. I won't dare wear a tank top at night. Wore one all the time in the morning.

Just wondering if anybody else has had this type of experience?

Flier is offline Productive Member
    Hehe....go back to mornings.

I work out when there are the least amount of people in the gym...between 11am and 3 pm.
    I definitely look the best at that time, and I enjoy it... :-)

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    Sure, there's always gonna be someone bigger or in better shape than you, but it's not a contest just do your own thing. As far as you tank top goes... just stick to modest clothing anyway, there's virtue in not strutting around as a walking hard on.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    i couldnt give a toss who's there when i am, i just get on with my training. i will say im thinking of going back to early morning though, less imbeciles with no etiquette around at that time

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I just completed my first week of working out in the evening after almost 2.5 years of working out at 5:30am.

I was really excited, because I knew the more hardcore people worked out in the evening and I was hoping it would motivate me and I could catapult myself into the next level. I'm in better shape than 99% of the people that workout there in the morning, which isn't saying much when you see these people. I'm talking every gimp, cripple, and yawning zombie trudging their tired asses all over the gym. I've never seen more grey hair under one roof. It was getting nauseating and depressing, destroying my motivation.

Well, the opposite has happened. I got in there at night and feel COMPLETELY out of place. These guys are big, in shape, and I feel like a sniveling little scrawny rat scampering around the gym, trying not to be 'spotted in the light'. Instead of motivational, it almost makes me want to quit when I look at these guys, because i'm like "fvck it, it'll take me years to look like that". And you can bet it took all of them years to look like that as well I really do feel like a little worm when I catch myself in the mirror and i'm next to one of these dudes. It's downright embarrassing. I won't dare wear a tank top at night. Wore one all the time in the morning. If you are comfortable in a tank then wear one, I promise you people are not looking at you or judging you to nearly the degree you may feel. We all have a bad habit of overestimating our own presence.

Just wondering if anybody else has had this type of experience?
    We all becomes products of our environment. You want to have more money, start hanging out with rich people. Hang around people who use a lot of profanity or have an accent and see watch how soon your own speech pattern begins to change. Want to train harder and make physical improvements, same goes, surround yourself with people doing the same thing. What is the intensity level of the "night" guys compared to the "day cripples" you refer to? Do you see how your own workout begins to pattern itself from those you are subjected to?

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    I work out in the evening and there are some monsters in there. I just do my best to keep up with them. It was kind of depressing in the beginning seeing them warm up with what I rep lol but my strength gains have gone up by trying to catch up and and now it's a motivation.

Bigd89 is offline Senior Member
    This is why I have a home gym.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    We all becomes products of our environment. You want to have more money, start hanging out with rich people. Hang around people who use a lot of profanity or have an accent and see watch how soon your own speech pattern begins to change. Want to train harder and make physical improvements, same goes, surround yourself with people doing the same thing. What is the intensity level of the "night" guys compared to the "day cripples" you refer to? Do you see how your own workout begins to pattern itself from those you are subjected to?
    This is so true. Psychology 1/1, in every walks of life. Love it, and it works!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigd89 View Post
    This is why I have a home gym.
    Who´s the best looking guy there?

Me, of course! Hehe

kelevra is offline Member
    I'm in the fat department and feel an opposite similarity. I'm close to 290, but still on the fat side I'll add again. I will lean up one day, and i really focus on how clean i eat to be careful of gaining no more fat. Honestly I'm at the point i can probably put on little more clean muscle without leaning up and going at it again.
    My point being, I look at all the guys ripped up that weigh between 180 -200 and think shite, I haven't seen one of my own abdominals in years. LOL
    I can't were a tank top either damnit

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    fvck em i wear a tube top and a thong and i know im the biggest..

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    but seriousely in everyday society these monsters don't fit in and may look at us smaller guys and think why couldn't just be normal. we all want what others have

BigFrankUK is offline New Member
    i always find training in the evening is when i am most comfortable, i tried early morning and it felt just weird and was not motivating.
    plus the gym was empty...

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Why at night? Does this help bulk more? What is the reason behind this? Or simply when people get off work? Curious.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm a morning workout guy myself, but I think it is due to when people get off work. Nothing to do with physiology or ability to bulk.

JasonCFT is offline New Member
    cant do evenings, way to tired and run down. I run at 4AM then hit my gym for an hour or so. I feel im at my strongest in the mornings (after my coffee of course)

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Shouldn't it tell you though, that if they can get that big, then it stands to reason you can as well?

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Why at night? Does this help bulk more? What is the reason behind this? Or simply when people get off work? Curious.
    I've seen studies that show slightly better gains from evening workouts over mornings. My theory behind it would be that it's because you have more time to get essential nutrients into your body to give you energy through out your workout and help with recovery afterwards.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Become the bigger guy, problem solved

The Toad is offline Associate Member
    - GAL -->

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    hey gbrice. If it means anything to you: I was flipping thru channels and came across Tarzan and his Mate.
    Johnny W was soft looking and had a lot more BF than you plus you are bigger than he is. So.....AHEEEAHHHEeeeeeeAyaaEeeeeeeeyaaaaaaahheeeeo oooooooo

vishus is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i have always worked out in the evenings just so i could be seen around the bigger dudes, ever since i was 18 i did that, now im 21 and i am one of the bigger guys lol (with a little medicated help of course) but thats besides the fact. i know most of them are in there just to be seen in a tank and could care less about their training

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    I like working out with the bigger guys are in the gym. Kinda motivates me to throw another plate on so I don't feel as weak. I have noticed that a lot of those "Big dudes" can't do more than one or two pullups. Kinda wondering wtf is up with that, Id think it would be embarrasing to have a 400lb+ bench and not to a set of pullups. Anyway enough off topic ranting

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I can train much harder at nite, even compared to 2pm. I cant get a good workout in unless I have 6 good meals in me. My wife and I train on saturday mornings, I use that for shaping and doubling up on lagging parts.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Before I moved to Vegas, I always lifted with guys bigger and stronger than me. That's the only way to get bigger and stronger, IMO. These guys were all older than me with much more experience, it was no shame lifting with some of the strongest guys on the planet. Now that I work in a home gym with my sons and other high school athletes, I am able to pass on what those mass monsters and strength freaks passed on to me. But if I found a good strongman or powerlifting crew in Vegas with guys stronger than me, I'd have no problem working with them.

it is the most convenient for me however i don't mind lifting all parts accept legs in the am.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    a philosopher as well & much agreed

YoungMan is offline Associate Member
    You got all the big dudes in there... call up ronnie coleman pay a couple dollers make all the big boys look like big girls

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    meh doesnt affect me. I go in there to work out who is in there doesnt bother me unless they are in my way

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I'm lb for lb the strongest guy in my gym and the " biggest" and get bigger. It's all in your head, no matter where you are training you should be going 100%. If you can't motivate yourself somethings wrong.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    hard to argue with this...

I cant get out of bed in the morning so it would never work for me.

Blog Entries
    given a 9-5 lifestyle, most ppl will be at their best strength potential late a'noon/early evening having loaded up on carbs etc throughout the day

Blog Entries
    im not the biggest but they all stand with their mouths open when im dlifting lol

Blog Entries
    just cos you hogged all the good EQ

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Your avatar is my wallpaper on my iPhone. I look at it before I deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Lmao

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    and then knock one out lol

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    get those ear buds on and focus on your workout. they weren't always that big!

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    agreed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information