Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cloe85 is offline Female Member

Muscle stimulator needed -- I need to build up my leg

Ive been looking at different muscle stimulators online and there are a lot of them. Some pricey and some cheap.

Im not concerned with cost for the most part.

Last August I had a really bad car accident with a deer and a telephone pole.

I had my first operation to put my calcaneus /which shattered into three pieces back together with a plate and screws.

The surgeon didnt do a very good job...

I had my foot fused Feb 4th and am now out of the regular cast. Now I have an air cast --- Oh shower and washing my foot ~la la la~

So the new surgoen took out the plate and screws, bone, junk etc and fused the calcaneus to the talus with two big screws... added some bone graft in there too.

I have a lot of pain due to the surgery and nerve damage. We are working on that.

The problem is: I have not been on this leg/foot for basically 8 months now.

I have no muscle at all in it to speak of. It looks like I was anarexic in my right leg lol.

Im looking for a serious muscle stimulator to assist with rebuilding muscle in my leg.

Also... I figure if Im going to spend the money, I also want to use it to help rebuild muscle in the rest of my body. Also havent been to the gym in 8 months -- too depressed

Now Im in a walking boot. I cant put weight on it yet, but I put my foot on the floor and am doing the heel to toe motion. Drs say I have to relearn how to walk.

Any suggestions on what I should get?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Id call Haz, just looking at his pic stimulates the lower half of my body.

p.s
    There is no shortcut for hard work. Muscle stimulator sounds to me like BS. When your ready get up and earn it.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    muscle stimulators do work, but probably not like you are thinking. A long time ago, a friend of mine broke his arm, and he used a stimulator for awhile. Within a very short period of time, regular exercise provided a greater benefit than the electronic gadget

Hummm.

Im going to start going back to the gym on the first... I suspended my membership for medical leave.

I was thinking of useing the stimulator along with light workouts on my leg.

So ya'll think its a basic waste of money?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloe85 View Post
    Hummm.

Im going to start going back to the gym on the first... I suspended my membership for medical leave.

I was thinking of useing the stimulator along with light workouts on my leg.

So ya'll think its a basic waste of money?
    My opinion its a totally waste. Walking around the house would give you more benefit then that stupid machine.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    I would think once you can excercise again you should be able to recover the muscle fairly quickly..... maybe not all of it but muscle memory helps A LOT. I don't think the stimulator is going to do what you're thinking it will...... but it can help with certain therapies.

~Haz~
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

To be more specific..... stimulators can help when combined with physical therapy for back/knee/muscle injuries...... but to increase muscle size..... very very doubtful.

~Haz~

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

Blog Entries
    Hi hazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ok, thank you.

I start PT Thursday and they are going to use some ki9nd of nerve stimulator for the nerve damage. It makes me wonder how productive that will actually be???

Ive been loading on calcium, magnesium and vit B since the accident.

Any other suggestions?

They tried to give my cymbalta, but that gave me really bad sides. Gabapenton did the same.

Blog Entries
    Ok, thank you.

I start PT Thursday and they are going to use some ki9nd of nerve stimulator for the nerve damage. It makes me wonder how productive that will actually be???

Ive been loading on calcium, magnesium and vit B since the accident.

Any other suggestions?
    For someone who is restricted to a bed then maybe it would help in a small way. Just keep on moving. Look at things that make you happy, if you need me to post some more boy on boy pictures just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Hi hazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

.....heyyyyy man

~Haz~

- Knockout_Power

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    For someone who is restricted to a bed then maybe it would help in a small way. Just keep on moving. Look at things that make you happy, if you need me to post some more boy on boy pictures just let me know.
    Pics are great

I have started painting again... being I have had all kinds of time to watch most every movie on ThrillerMax, Sifi and Netflix.

Never realized how important my foot was til now ...

Oh ... web surfing, buying clothes, job hunting so I can join hubby in NC, looking at going back to college...
    Last edited by Cloe85; 03-29-2011 at 09:00 AM.

I did enjoy a nice one month break from work

Thanks everyone. Ive got to run.

Builder15 is offline Junior Member
    Hi Cloe, I think I can probably help you out but I have a few questions. What are you looking for the muscle stimulator to do? You had mentioned nerve damage and strengthening, so I am confused if you are wanting the stimulator to help regenerate the nerve (highly unlikely especially now that you are 8 months out), or if you are wanting it for pain control which a TENS unit will work well for. If it has been determined that you have denervated muscle due to nerve damage then the type of current the e-stim unit uses is very important. If you are wanting more of a muscle assistance/strengthing type of stimulator then agiain the type of current and frequency is important. Research shows that e-stim post op provides much quicker and better results compared to no e-stim. If you want more of a strengthening type of effect the only type of unit really designed for that is a medium frequency (also called russian current) but there is a very specific protocol to follow. If you want just a basic e-stim unit just to help the muscle recover and increase neural activation you are probably looking at about $75-150 so I think if you are willing to spend the money it sounds like you may benefit from it. Chattanooga makes a lot of home units and they are a very good brand to go with, let me know and I can give you a website that you can browse through. Most of my patients order from this medical supply company and you should be able to get it without a prescription (certainly from amazon if not from a medical supply company). Hope this helps!

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    These stimulators are good for reactivating muscles that have atrophied over a long period of non usage. They will essentially just get that area functioning and firing again and while you will see intial results, the actual strength will come from re-introducing physical activity.

The first surgery was the 3rd week of August and the second was Feb 4. I beleive the real nerve damage occured with the second surgery. They had to do so much work. Taking hardware out, cutting bone out, shaving bone, changing the angle of the bones so they sit properly and then fuse the whole thing together.

I was in agony for about 3 1/2 weeks after this. It was nothing like the car accident or the first surgery. That was a walk in the park compared to this.

I was thinking about getting one for two reasons:

1. to help with the pain
    2. rebuild muscle in my ancle, calf and thigh

Then thought if I was spending the money, something that I could also use on my abs when not at the gym.... I know its cheating /shrugs

I looked at a lot of different machines. Most looked like basic massagers for the most part.

I found a few that looked interesting.

You said something about Russian:

VITAL STIM EMS 4000 - 4 channel 12 pads - $295
    VITAL STIM EMS 4000R - w/ Russian Stim. $350

I was looking at these and was figuring the Russian would be better able to help reach some of my goals.

Then I looked at:

"LG-IEMS" Clinical COMBINATION Electronic Muscle Stimulator (EMS) ...Regular price: $1,899.99

Your Price: $799.99
    ---------------

...and looked at a lot of different things in between.

Hubby was looking too, and said he'd ask around here, but I beat him to it... I have the time right now where he doesnt.

-------

Now would the stimulator, if it works... would it just sort of build muscle/bulk and not really the strength ... or can you not have one without the other? Silly question I know...

What do you think?

My goal is to be able to go roller skating the day after Christmas this year.... and do it almost as well as I could before the accident.

Endurance along with spins and tricks that take a lot of leg strength.

I know things will be a little off because I will not have the motion in my heel, but I still will in the ancle.

I thought I was going to be able to go skating last Christmas... November I tried to put my foot in my skate... yeah, shooting pain, it wasnt going to happen.

bushido3374 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post

.....heyyyyy man

~Haz~

LMAO!!!

DSM's posts have that affect on me a lot.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    My goal is to be able to go roller skating the day after Christmas this year.... and do it almost as well as I could before the accident.

Endurance along with spins and tricks that take a lot of leg strength.

I know things will be a little off because I will not have the motion in my heel, but I still will in the ancle.

I thought I was going to be able to go skating last Christmas... November I tried to put my foot in my skate... yeah, shooting pain, it wasnt going to happen.
    I think 8 months should be a fair amount of time to regain the majority of your mobility and range of motion. Just dont over work it as a re-injured ankle will take even longer to heal than the initial damage

Dont' get me wrong. I think they have their place. Didn't Christopher Reeves use them? I believe he was trying to prevent or minimize atrophy in the hopes of some day repairing his damaged spinal chord?

I guess there is no easy way to go about this...

I think Ill work with a trainer at the gym so he could get me going in the right direction.

Well this wasnt exactly the news I was hoping for... but

I think 8 months should be a fair amount of time to regain the majority of your mobility and range of motion.
    Sounds like a plan

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Dont' get me wrong. I think they have their place. Didn't Christopher Reeves use them? I believe he was trying to prevent or minimize atrophy in the hopes of some day repairing his damaged spinal chord?
    Yeah, I guess there is a difference between preventitive measures and rebuilding something...

awms is offline Senior Member
    I had surgery on my chest a few years back and could not use my chest at all for about 3 months...my muscle in my upper body atrophied and I lost about 30lbs! I went from benching 275 reps to 125lbs, dead lift 405 reps to 225 ect ect....I was so weak and skinny people who knew me from before didnt know wtf had happend to me.

I worked hard in the gym and took my time...it took a while! but with muscle memory I put the weight back on rather quick. Prob took me about a year and a half to build it all back to were I was before.

they are expensive for what they are, and they will only take you so far.....

Quote Originally Posted by awms View Post
    I had surgery on my chest a few years back and could not use my chest at all for about 3 months...my muscle in my upper body atrophied and I lost about 30lbs! I went from benching 275 reps to 125lbs, dead lift 405 reps to 225 ect ect....I was so weak and skinny people who knew me from before didnt know wtf had happend to me.

I worked hard in the gym and took my time...it took a while! but with muscle memory I put the weight back on rather quick. Prob took me about a year and a half to build it all back to were I was before.
    In the accident I broke 2 ribs and fractured my sternum, its nothing compared to what you went through... but yeah it took about 2 1/2 - 3 months to heal.

That is true about muscle memory, hubby talks about that too...

Im glad you were able to get through it all and back on top

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    they are expensive for what they are, and they will only take you so far.....
    No doubt right. Ug. Lol

Ive got to get back to work.

Thanks everyone

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    They tried to give my cymbalta, but that gave me really bad sides. Gabapenton did the same.
    What kind of sides did you get from it? It was prescribed to me for a while for back pain (3 ruptured discs) but did nothing except make me tired all the time. Vicodine has always worked best for me.

Your PT should have a muscle stimulator they will use on you also. Mine had 4 of them but there was only one I could use because I kept maxing out the others and they would shut down. LOL

Did you learn anything from the accident? What you should learn is DONT swerve or at least dont over react. This happens far to often. People swerve for dogs, cats, squires or???

The only thing I will swerve for is a child. I have hit 2 deer. I never touch my brakes, I made sure I did not hit it dead center but no swerving and they just bounced off to the side or up and over but still to the side. Minimal damage to my car, dead deer and no damage to me.

Ive hit dogs, cats, birds, squirls, raccoons etc. They dont do much damage. If I am 100% sure I have time to stop without panic, I know there is no one near me or I can move out of the way safely I will but otherwise I dont swerve. The one time I did for a BIG dog late at night I almost lost control of my truck and it just made me more aware to not swerve.

Hopefully you will have a speedy recovery.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 03-30-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Have you looked into the shakeweight yet ?

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Wow I'm kinda shocked at all the hate towards muscle stims. They've been shown to help increase healing in the area, muscle stimulation would increase the blood flow to the area to help facilitate the healing process of muscle and nerves. When u see ur PT, ull see they will use the same kind of machine, along with physical rehab. For rehab purposes the muscle stim is great. As for building muscle, aka "Russian Stim"; its frowned down on in the US because of idiots using it incorrectly and zapping their heart. If used correctly its shown to help maintain at the least. I'd say it be a good idea.
    You can swim to get cardio for your whole body, it will help alleviate the pain because you wont have the pressure on it. Other than that its all up to you and how you feel when moving it and trying to regain full usage.
    what are you being treated for with cymbalta and gabapenton if u dont mind me asking...

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    What kind of sides did you get from it? It was prescribed to me for a while for back pain (3 ruptured discs) but did nothing except make me tired all the time. Vicodine has always worked best for me.

It was messing me up. I was getting angry very fast, crying, argumentative.

Im done with pain meds. I rather just deal with the pain than be all spaced out all the time. Ive had 8 months of that on and off and just cant do it anymore. Though I get very tempted, most days lol. vicodin or percoset work enough to take the bite off.

Your PT should have a muscle stimulator they will use on you also. Mine had 4 of them but there was only one I could use because I kept maxing out the others and they would shut down. LOL

I went to PT and they said that they dont use them anymore and havent for about 10 yrs. Then after 30-40 minutes of questions and paperwork, she tells me that she cannot treat me right now and cannot touch my foot. Between my surgeon and the nerosurgeon at the pain clinic, they put so many restrictions on my treatment.... she couldnt even rub lotion on my foot, never mind message it... That p!ssed me off. She knew this and wasted my time.

In any event, Im going to check out this guy that was recommended to me by a trainer at my gym. He does some of the PT for the Patriots, so he must be good

Did you learn anything from the accident? What you should learn is DONT swerve or at least dont over react. This happens far to often. People swerve for dogs, cats, squires or???

I learned why you should not wear flip flops driving and that seatbelts actually have a purpose. Ive hit animals in the road before, I hit the breaks but I dont swirve. This road was so narrow and wineding, if I didnt swive, it would have been dead on... but then thats what the pole ended up being. I just hope I dont have that experience again. Once was enough.

The only thing I will swerve for is a child. I have hit 2 deer. I never touch my brakes, I made sure I did not hit it dead center but no swerving and they just bounced off to the side or up and over but still to the side. Minimal damage to my car, dead deer and no damage to me.

Ive hit dogs, cats, birds, squirls, raccoons etc. They dont do much damage. If I am 100% sure I have time to stop without panic, I know there is no one near me or I can move out of the way safely I will but otherwise I dont swerve. The one time I did for a BIG dog late at night I almost lost control of my truck and it just made me more aware to not swerve.

Hopefully you will have a speedy recovery.
    Thank you

Now that Im back to the gym, it should promote some healing at a faster rate, opposed to doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonada8 View Post
    Wow I'm kinda shocked at all the hate towards muscle stims. They've been shown to help increase healing in the area, muscle stimulation would increase the blood flow to the area to help facilitate the healing process of muscle and nerves. When u see ur PT, ull see they will use the same kind of machine, along with physical rehab. For rehab purposes the muscle stim is great. As for building muscle, aka "Russian Stim"; its frowned down on in the US because of idiots using it incorrectly and zapping their heart. If used correctly its shown to help maintain at the least. I'd say it be a good idea.
    You can swim to get cardio for your whole body, it will help alleviate the pain because you wont have the pressure on it. Other than that its all up to you and how you feel when moving it and trying to regain full usage.
    what are you being treated for with cymbalta and gabapenton if u dont mind me asking...
    It is supposed to help with nerve damage.

The gabapenton didnt help me when I used it yrs ago for some minor nerve damage...

I loaded on vit B, thats what actually made a difference.

So Im loading vit B, calcium, and magnesium now.

I cant tell if its helping, though I know it is.

Im not allowed to swim yet. Im so tempted to go in the pool and just sort of hop around in there, but I know as soon as I go in... I will determine a little swimming wont hurt it.... so Im just staying out of it for now lol

drdeath613 is offline Senior Member
    Muscle stimulators work and are great for healing after i tore my acl and hyper extended my mcl do to a leg lock during a full contact sparring training it happened while trying to roll out of it
    anyways i still use mine when my knee gets sore or now after my workout ill use it and i swear i recover alot faster now all you need is 10-20 minutes a day

id go with the gel type stickons over the pads you have to get wet id also try to get one with more then 4 ports that way you can do more then 1 spot at a time

I need to start bringing mine to work with me just for fun and so I have something to do for some of those 12 hrs. LOL

This is my unit. I have to say it's crazy strong. Once I had it on my Biceps and turned it up to 7 (1-10) and it locked my arms. LOL OMG I hurt for about a week. If it was not for the 1.5 second cycle every 10 seconds I dont know how I would have gotten it off.

http://www.backsport.com/memory/EMS-179.htm

Quote Originally Posted by drdeath613 View Post
    Muscle stimulators work and are great for healing after i tore my acl and hyper extended my mcl do to a leg lock during a full contact sparring training it happened while trying to roll out of it
    anyways i still use mine when my knee gets sore or now after my workout ill use it and i swear i recover alot faster now all you need is 10-20 minutes a day

id go with the gel type stickons over the pads you have to get wet id also try to get one with more then 4 ports that way you can do more then 1 spot at a time
    Pain control... Im def up for that

Silly foot is unrelenting.

Im going to take a look at a few specific ones that have been mentioned.

Thanks everyone!
    ---------------------------
    On a better note:::

I hit the gym with my trainer today. Great workout! Everything is still burning, legs and hips

Here's a new question:::

I have two 5" or so, screws in my foot going from the heel to the bone above it (calcaneus fused to the talus).

How will the stimulator react... or I should say, how will my foot react??? I believe they are titanium.

That's one you need to ask your PT or doctor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information