Uncle$ is offline Junior Member

Does any1 here have chronic bronchitis or the like?

Just wondering, I'm having some issues and I know you guys aren't Doc's but here it goes... I've never had such a bad problem b4... A little background... I'm almost 23, have always been physically fit, was in the army, but seem to have climaxed at a health(respiratory) problem today. I guess I have just brushed it under the carpet while it has escellated, I never really gave it much thought... I'm not going to talk about weightlifting here but cardio. I've always been a runner and picked up sprinting after the army. In my highschool years I was great but always seemed to run out of oxygen b4 my body would get tired. I remember moments of light-headedness and a longer than normal recovery from cardio related activity. Then came on at that time in my life lots of mucus, year-round it seemed, but manageable. I remember when it first really hit me I was training/sparing and almost nearly passed out/saw stars while doing some typical training. For the past couple years other than construction I've done zilch for cardio and have been focusing on powerlifting/strength training. I just got on here at the sheriffs office working the jail and plan on getting on to patrol here in a few years... Here's my dilemma... Today I decided to go for a run and do some run/sprints at the track. Was going to do 2 miles and sprint at least one straightaway every lap. I started my very first lap, went around the bend, went into a sprint and "wham" everything becomes a blur and I'm about to drop to the ground. With my pride on the line in my own head I decide to complete at least a mile. I figure when I stopped I'd catch my breath but no such thing. Walking back home was horrible constantly spitting up crap out of my throat. I do this year round but this was much worse. I couldn't catch my breath and I felt this huge pressure in my chest that I couldn't catch my breath. Much worse than I'm describing. The only thing that finally de-escalated the whole situation was when I grabbed my buddies inhaler to take a puff. It immediately loosened the chest pressure and I was able to resume taking full breaths once again. I'm rather scarred as I've never had it happen this bad/noticeable b4. I looked up and found "copd" and "chronic bronchitis" to be very descriptive of my symptoms. I've smoked on and off for 3 years and will never touch another one again! I also worked as an engine watchman for over half a year on steam locomotives. Reason for quiting was respiratory issues from coal dust. The worse was when I'd shake the old ashes out and get a nice hearty blast of coal dust/grit in my face. I wore a mask for the worst parts but constant protection was rather a pain in the arse!

Anyways, no insurance till I work this job for a while... Any recommendations? The year round phlem is rather annoying. I'm constantly rolling down my vehicles window to spit, lifting the visor on my helmet while I'm riding to spit, constantly looking for trash cans while in stores, and have a very extremely lady attractive spitune in my house! It seems the breathing issues have escalated over the years with today reaching a climax of "whoa WTF just happened"? I would think a regular even out of shape person could at least run till tired and be able to catch their breath! I had to stop early as I couldn't get a full breath of air even though my body was roaring to go! Think of a bada$$ engine that doesn't have ported/polished intake/plenum and a crap restrictive air filter! You could have a great engine but without the right air flow forget about those horses! That's how I feel right now... Because even though I haven't done much cardio recently, believe me, I can run!

olderfella is offline Associate Member
    Hi i suffer with bronchial asthma have done since i was about 5yrs old,you do have some of the symptoms but you should realy go to docs and get a proper diagnosis,its nothing to worry about,unless you have a more serious underlying illness which one would hope is highly unlikely treatment is simple and in most cases quite simple,in the uk they normaly give you a couple of inhalers a preventer and a reliever once they get the dosage right you should be fine.But as i said please go get yourself checked out by the doc,good luck and let us know how you get on

Uncle$ is offline Junior Member
    I def will go see a doc once insurance kicks in! I could go see the work doc for now but am too scarred that it might be some type of disqual for my line of work (well not too sure about corrections) but I know it'd prob be a factor for switching over to patrol!

Thread Information