Thread: Realtors

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

Realtors

We are going to look at a specific local Realtor tomorrow. I know some of you guys sell homes. Any inside tips are how to determine if he/she is a good Realtor ?

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    If they give you head, they are good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    If they give you head, they are good
    I concur !

Beefkake31 is offline Member
    There's no sure proof way but I would just pick a Realtor that is already successful and has a good name locally. Cause in the end they're all sales people trying to sell you. One thing I would pay close attention to is how fast he/she responds to your calls or messages and that they're on time for everything. Good luck!

SergeantCarbs is offline Associate Member
    Go with the listing agent of any house your looking at. They would make a double commision on the sale and would be willing to do more for you in savings.

chi
    chi is offline Knowledgeable Member
    dsm i have been an agent for 10yrs not selling currently but still active. My critique of a good realtor would be:

Does he/she match up the buyer with the specific product they are looking for?
    Does he/she do the necessary research to eliminate excessive time waste with bad properties and showings?
    Does he/she listen to the buyer and apply that to searches?
    Does he/she return phone calls in a timely manner?
    Does he/she pass the ball excessively to assistants or other agents?
    Does he/she stay committed to the sale for the duration of the sale just not when the papers are signed?

these are all good things to look at hope i helped out

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post
    dsm i have been an agent for 10yrs not selling currently but still active. My critique of a good realtor would be:

Does he/she match up the buyer with the specific product they are looking for?
    Does he/she do the necessary research to eliminate excessive time waste with bad properties and showings?
    Does he/she listen to the buyer and apply that to searches?
    Does he/she return phone calls in a timely manner?
    Does he/she pass the ball excessively to assistants or other agents?
    Does he/she stay committed to the sale for the duration of the sale just not when the papers are signed?

these are all good things to look at hope i helped out
    All great points and I agree. Bottom line is are you happy with the job they are doing for you. Dont let them push you or try to convince you of anything you are not 100% comfortable with.

You are paying, you are the boss, they are the employee and make sure they act accordingly and if not just tell them they are fired and find someone else.

PS, make sure you have a copy of their contract from the beginning so you are 100% clear on what their fees are.

jbm
    jbm is offline "3 stars and a sun"

jbm

jbm

calgarian is offline ANALbolically inclined "Protein user"
    dont fall for their "I have a website that shows all my listings" cause if no one is looking at the website its no good for you.
    Look past their bullshit talk. If they show you an award apprantly everyone i talked to have one so it doesnt tell you how good they are......I will add more if i can think of something.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeantCarbs View Post
    Go with the listing agent of any house your looking at. They would make a double commision on the sale and would be willing to do more for you in savings.
    ^^^This.. Realtors are worthless now that we have the internet.. find the home you like, call the listing agent, and offer a bunch less than what he wants.

I only recomend this if you know real estate though.. if you don't getting a realtor of your own might be a better idea, since he might know that you can knock the value down 20k.. so the 5k you save with his commission is negligible.

Blog Entries
    The first property we are looking at

awms is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    ^^^This.. Realtors are worthless now that we have the internet.. find the home you like, call the listing agent, and offer a bunch less than what he wants.

I only recomend this if you know real estate though.. if you don't getting a realtor of your own might be a better idea, since he might know that you can knock the value down 20k.. so the 5k you save with his commission is negligible.
    My parents and sister are all real estate agents and I cant tell you how many people they deal with who loose money on their house because they choose to do it them self. A good agent will make you money on your house...they also know the laws and regulations so that you dont end up buying a house and 4 months down the road its start falling apart or you run into problems. The longer your house is on the market the less money you make or the more money you loose.

Its a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things!

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Good luck DSM. Hope it all works out for you and your partner.

Blog Entries
    Thank you.

chi
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    All great points and I agree. Bottom line is are you happy with the job they are doing for you. Dont let them push you or try to convince you of anything you are not 100% comfortable with.

You are paying, you are the boss, they are the employee and make sure they act accordingly and if not just tell them they are fired and find someone else.

PS, make sure you have a copy of their contract from the beginning so you are 100% clear on what their fees are.
    thanks!

Blog Entries
    First day out and we already sort of feel in love with a home. New construction, who wouldn't. What are things i can research to determine how the area is ? The surround homes look clean, yards and clean. The home has quick access to major highways but is still off the main road so we can NO noise. We are also on a one way street which helps cut down on thru traffic.

chi
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    First day out and we already sort of feel in love with a home. New construction, who wouldn't. What are things i can research to determine how the area is ? The surround homes look clean, yards and clean. The home has quick access to major highways but is still off the main road so we can NO noise. We are also on a one way street which helps cut down on thru traffic.
    check out police blotter and demographics. The realtor himself cannot tell you but it is readily available through an online search. Can't go wrong with new construction but things do go wrong with new construction. Make sure the builder has not bankrupt. Check to see what type of warranty comes with purchase. Ask to see plans and definitely hire an inspector to go over the home and check out the plans as well. Make sure the house has passed city inspection and has permit of occupancy from the city.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post
    check out police blotter and demographics. The realtor himself cannot tell you but it is readily available through an online search. Can't go wrong with new construction but things do go wrong with new construction. Make sure the builder has not bankrupt. Check to see what type of warranty comes with purchase. Ask to see plans and definitely hire an inspector to go over the home and check out the plans as well. Make sure the house has passed city inspection and has permit of occupancy from the city.
    House hasn't even been build but we went into the same house they built down the street. We get a 10 year warranty on house. We can still make changes to the plan (floor plans, flooring, cabinets etc). We went to the lot where the house is going to be built and its a nice area like i described above.

Now we are trying to determine best place to get a mortgage. we need to be preapproved.

chi
    House hasn't even been build but we went into the same house they built down the street. We get a 10 year warranty on house. We can still make changes to the plan (floor plans, flooring, cabinets etc). We went to the lot where the house is going to be built and its a nice area like i described above.

Now we are trying to determine best place to get a mortgage. we need to be preapproved.

okay first question: Do you belong to a credit union?

Blog Entries
    edit PM

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    knock on the neighbors door, find out who you will be living next to. ask the distant neighbors if they know your direct neighbors and what kind of people they are. the last thing you want is an asshole for a neighbor, i speak from experiance i had the worst neighbors in the world i wound up selling my house and loseing 100g just to get out of there. also if you have time make frequent passes on the weekends so you can see how your time off from work will be effected.
    good luck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MBMETC View Post
    knock on the neighbors door, find out who you will be living next to. ask the distant neighbors if they know your direct neighbors and what kind of people they are. the last thing you want is an asshole for a neighbor, i speak from experiance i had the worst neighbors in the world i wound up selling my house and loseing 100g just to get out of there. also if you have time make frequent passes on the weekends so you can see how your time off from work will be effected.
    good luck
    I am going to visit the location on the weekends at both morning and evening just to see how the neighborhood is.

SNRose07 is offline Junior Member
    You can use zillow.com. They have a realtor review section. You can search your location.

http://www.zillow.com/directory/real-estate-agents/

supersize me is offline Associate Member
    I remember reading in Roman's Kabul thread about y'all considering kids so I would look at the sex offender registry in the area. Especially if you're planning on being there long term. Call it paranoid but personally I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by supersize me View Post
    I remember reading in Roman's Kabul thread about y'all considering kids so I would look at the sex offender registry in the area. Especially if you're planning on being there long term. Call it paranoid but personally I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Good call. Didn't even think of that.

goinglong is offline Junior Member
    Good call. Didn't even think of that.
    http://www.familywatchdog.us/

Blog Entries
    The area is clean.

The area is clean.
    It's not now, I added you to the watchdog list.

Blog Entries
    I just added myself.

jbm

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    ^^We have pic threads for stuff like this guys, please try and stay on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    ^^We have pic threads for stuff like this guys, please try and stay on topic.
    When it comes to JBM that is on topic.
    Everyone has their purpose in life. DSM purpose in life (or at least this forum) is to post at least one over the top off topic gay related picture or comment and JBM is to post a picture of a scantly clothed women.
    Pick your poison.... LOL

BTW see you Saturday.

Thread Information