Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member

31.5" Waist and no Abs?

Is it possible to just not be able to develop clearly defined abs? I'm 6'2" 225lbs at 9-10% bf and these little fvckers are just not popping out. Diet is dialed in, and cardio is 6x a week on an empty stomach. I had juvenile obesity when I was younger, I think that may have something to do with it. Is 10%bf too high to see abs?

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    weighted crunches and weighted wood chops. are you doing anything like this?

^Yeah I do them both. Also, weighted cable crunches, heavy DB between my feet (raise the DB slowly while my back is on a bench) and some high rep leg raises. I'm training them 4x a week with 3-4 sets each time. Should I up the volume?

yesterdays pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 31.5" Waist and no Abs?-ava-cowan.jpg  
    Last edited by Gaspari1255; 12-15-2012 at 02:44 AM.

I've been off for 6 months...T3/Prop/Mast starts on May 2..hopefully that will help.

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Your abs need rest to grow too bronzer. Drop it down to 2 times a week.
    Last edited by stack_it; 04-14-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Floppy V

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzer View Post
    ^Yeah I do them both. Also, weighted cable crunches, heavy DB between my feet (raise the DB slowly while my back is on a bench) and some high rep leg raises. I'm training them 4x a week with 3-4 sets each time. Should I up the volume?
    whoa, way too much mate, thats why you aint getting any size into them, they are just like any other muscle group. once per week, trust me

Thanks. I'll take your guys word for it. Hell, I hate training abs...so knocking it down to once a week is music to my ears, lol.

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    Also, on top of overtraining...

You dont do any hardcore compound movements... I know this cuz I know you. lol.

Squats - Hacks, fronts, back, whatever... just do them.

Deadlifts or racks - same.

You know I never train abs... But I do those exercises and they def do work for strengthening the abs.

I've been hack squatting for over 3 years now and threw in rack deads a few weeks ago..We'll see how it treats me. I'm just too god damn tall (just like you) to do floor deads, once again- the tall man is fvcked.

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    I've been hack squatting for over 3 years now and threw in rack deads a few weeks ago..We'll see how it treats me. I'm just too god damn tall (just like you) to do floor deads, once again- the tall man is fvcked.
    Yeah I used to love floor deads. But then I injured my back.

My suggestion is do floor deads... start light weight. And find your correct form. Focus on always keeping your abs tight during the lift. Go high reps till failure.

As for hacks... are you using the hack machines? Or barbell hacks?

The machine of course wont cause you to use your stabalizing muscles nearly as much. Hence... not working the abs.

So hit up barbell hacks. And front squats.

If I can do both of those (which I do) with 2 buldged discs in my spine... you can too.

And dont forget to go deep son!!!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    It's strange - you look like you are easily around 10% except for the stomach area (based on a single pic). My best guess is this is due to under developed abs and not bodyfat covering abs. Maybe i'm wrong, hard to tell from that pic.

Overall though, looking good!

^^Thanks. I'll start nailing more compound lifts. Also, I plan to drop another 5-7lbs for this cut, so it should help. I miss being 250lbs+...feel like a skinny litlte bitch now lol

^^Thanks. I'll start nailing more compound lifts. Also, I plan to drop another 5-7lbs for this cut, so it should help. I miss being 250lbs+...feel like a skinny litlte bitch now lol
    I kind of know the feeling. I went from 210lbs (5'11) last summer after a cycle to 187lbs... with clothes on people were commenting that I looked like an aids patient. Pissed me off, but I was cut damnit!

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    I do no ab work at all, even when I was lean like in my avi... but I do a lot of work on the punching bag with different elevations of kicks and that made the obliques and abs come in fairly well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    Also, on top of overtraining...

You dont do any hardcore compound movements... I know this cuz I know you. lol.

Squats - Hacks, fronts, back, whatever... just do them.

Deadlifts or racks - same.

You know I never train abs... But I do those exercises and they def do work for strengthening the abs.
    ^^^ good advice, nicely controlled deads will add size to your abs also

Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    I do no ab work at all, even when I was lean like in my avi... but I do a lot of work on the punching bag with different elevations of kicks and that made the obliques and abs come in fairly well.
    Sounds like a combination of a good diet and genetics to me...I think abs are like forearms or calves, sort of have them or ya don't.

Standby is offline ~AR's Nice Guy
    abs???? hmmm nope dont know what your talking about.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    Boyer Coe comes to mind. Also Leo Ingram is a more recent example. There's one other recent guy I remember seeing, but can't remember his name. These guys are examples of just plain poor abdomen genetics, however, they obviously still achieve a very impressive look. If you get your BF low enough, you're gonna look good no matter what.

^Thanks. very true. I know those two pictures aren't the best but do you think 10% bf is fairly accurate for me?

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    More and better pics would def help. You look like you're in an awkward position too. I'm not the best at guessing BF anyway, sorry I'm not much help lol.

Blog Entries
    ^Thanks. very true. I know those two pictures aren't the best but do you think 10% bf is fairly accurate for me?
    post pics up in the bb'ing section, fireguy can tell ya straight off where your at. id say 11-13%

Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    Boyer Coe comes to mind.
    Good call!

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Is it me, or does anyone else see a problem with this? That's a weak excuse not to deadlift. Most of the top deadlifters in the world are tall guys...including some that are 6'4, up to 6'8 (current Arnold Strongman classic winner, Brian Shaw).

^ I suppose it is a weak excuse. However, the taller guy has no advantages when it comes to BBing (for the exception of maybe a better v taper, smaller waist illusion)

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    post pics up in the bb'ing section, fireguy can tell ya straight off where your at. id say 11-13%
    Cool. Will do. How did your cut go Dec? I remember we started cutting around the same time (Late December) I think...How lean did ya get?

Blog Entries
    Cool. Will do. How did your cut go Dec? I remember we started cutting around the same time (Late December) I think...How lean did ya get?
    i started in feb, yeah its going well although my cardio has been up in the air the past 2 wks due to work, ive come down a few % for sure, started carb cycling 3wks ago, helped alot. will put pics up on my log on monday

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I kind of know the feeling. I went from 210lbs (5'11) last summer after a cycle to 187lbs... with clothes on people were commenting that I looked like an aids patient. Pissed me off, but I was cut damnit!
    Obviously those people have never seen an aids patient, or they never would have even gone there. lol And if you are what they call looking like an aids patient , then there are a hell of a lot of us wanting that look, IMO

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    ^ I suppose it is a weak excuse. However, the taller guy has no advantages when it comes to BBing (for the exception of maybe a better v taper, smaller waist illusion)
    You're right, in bodybuilding being taller is a lot harder to be successful. But when it comes to deadlifting, many times taller guys have an advantage of having a short torso and long arms. I don't know your leverages, so I don't know what you're working with. I was just commenting on your reasoning why you don't deadlift from the floor. You'll get more work from the floor than from the rack. As a matter of fact, one of the best exercises for adding mass to the lower back, glutes, and hams are deficit deads (deadlifting from a 4-6" platform).

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    best way to get a good idea of bf% with a pic is a flexed back shot... post'em up

Thread Information