fattymcbutterpants is offline Senior Member

Any luck asking for better grades in college?

Man its exam time and I am trying to finish up the semester with a C or better in everything. I think I am good in everything except microbiology and I am right on the bubble. I just emailed my teacher basically telling her that I slacked off in the beginning and got behind but now that I have a baby on the way I realized I needed to step it up and hurry up and finish school and everything. I know it seemed like I was making excuses but really I am just trying to get an extra couple points just to ensure I make a C so that I will get the credit and it can transfer schools with me. But my final exam is tomorrow so I am gonna study my ass off for a few hours tonight and in the morning and hope for the best.

But just curious any of you college guys have any luck trying to get a better grade out of your teacher?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Good luck on tomorrow. The problem with excuses/reasons is everyone has one, it's just life and most teachers will not cut you any slack because they have head it all and rightfully they shouldnt. Life will always get in the way and you have to learn how to make it work.

Only time in college I got a break is when I had to drop out of a programing class. I explained to my teacher I had to drop and he didnt hear me fully the first time and said why? You have done so good in my other classes and always got A's. I told him again my wife had just died and I could not keep my retain anything and kept forgetting what was taught the day before so I knew I had to drop and also needed to concentrate on taking care of my 2yr old daughter until I got a handle on things. Once he grasp what I was saying he had no problem with me dropping the class.

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fattymcbutterpants View Post
    Man its exam time and I am trying to finish up the semester with a C or better in everything. I think I am good in everything except microbiology and I am right on the bubble. I just emailed my teacher basically telling her that I slacked off in the beginning and got behind but now that I have a baby on the way I realized I needed to step it up and hurry up and finish school and everything. I know it seemed like I was making excuses but really I am just trying to get an extra couple points just to ensure I make a C so that I will get the credit and it can transfer schools with me. But my final exam is tomorrow so I am gonna study my ass off for a few hours tonight and in the morning and hope for the best.

But just curious any of you college guys have any luck trying to get a better grade out of your teacher?
    I have a few ideas......

Haha I told her I would wash her car or something if thats what it took. But yea Lovbyts I dont really like doing this and normally I would just take what I deserve but I thought it was worth a try because I have done decent I feel considering I skipped all the prereqs and everything because I didnt have time to waste. But who knows I doubt she will do anything its a huge class with only 4 grades for the semester and I did poorly on the first 3, owell

Dont get me wrong, it's still worth a shot and if it works cudos. Nothing wrong with the car washing idea either. I have know people (no joke) who worked their way up into management by washing cars and mowing the lawn for the right person. It really is about who you know and not just about your work so you might as well get use to it depending on how far you want to go.

Haha yea I couldnt agree more, its suprising how far knowing the right people will get you

Haha yea I couldnt agree more, its suprising how far knowing the right people will get you
    If you are not born with LOTS of money and in the right group of people you have to work your way up and 80% of it is not your work but who you get to know. I have seen it over and over and over. I could never bring myself to do it. I have been in the right position many times and even encouraged by the upper management but my response was; then I would have to learn how to play golf??? lol

I have been lucky enough to get to know the right people by accident and it helped me get to where I am I think. I busted my butt for years coming in 45 minutes or more early, leaving late, doing the jobs of my leads and only got a little recognition. I got to know one of the guys my age who was into quadding and I bought one also. We use to go riding and camping. I got labeled as a suck up, brown noser by a couple guys and I had to confront them to find out why. It turns out his dad was the senior manager over our plant of several thousand people. I had met him but had no clue who he was and little did I care at the time. I LOL and blew it off but I'm sure I could have used to to my advantage if I wanted.

You dont have to become one of the suckups or brown nosers but you have to know how the game works and be willing to take some lumps and ridicule if you want to move up most of the time. Only other way is to become your own boss. To much work for me and I would fire my lazy ass.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I have had lots of luck getting better grades but its always from an A- to an A... One time my teacher pushed me from a high B to a low A. That's about it though. Working hard is how you succeed at school.

Lol yea twist you are right, I just kinda have slacked off part of this time, but I really am buckling down now and trying to get things taken care of

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I recommend summer school lol.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    My math teacher said for every tooth mark he would deduct a point. I received a 100 ! Mom was so proud.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah, I don't know mate. I was packing 30+ units a quarter my first year, and only got 1 c during that time.

The reality is, if the system works right, you should receive what you earn. And I hope that's how it goes down. Chalk it up to a learning experience, and dont' screw around next time. I shudder to think that a university would be susceptible to allowing someone to talk themselves into a grade they didn't earn. I guess it could happen though....

Builder15 is offline Junior Member
    Most college professors will only change grades if you are hovering right around that C/B or B/A grade. If they see that you worked hard in class and really tried then they would be much more likely to boost your grade and help you out. However, it sounds like the professor did not get that impression from you so I'm not sure how your request will go over. Either way it doesn't hurt to try, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    My math teacher said for every tooth mark he would deduct a point. I received a 100 ! Mom was so proud.
    We are talking about college, not grade school.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, if a student approaches me, and doesn't necessarily make excuses, but indicates to me that he's trying or that he even wants to try, I'm much more willing to grade leniently.

VegasRenegade is offline Finishing Member ~ Transformation Contest!
    Blog Entries
    I had to profs give me a better grade each time I talked in person and both times it was because I made the case that my written exam deserved a higher grade than I was given. Oh yea and I did pay my spanish prof to tutor me for my spanish 2 class last thing I need to graduate and I can not learn a forien language. I got a C sure I did not deserve it but she did take over $2000 And I did work hard.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    We are talking about college, not grade school.
    Oh sorry. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    Oh sorry. Carry on.
    Sorry I should have said parochial school, we know how those priest are.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    I would speak from the heart and go from there. This is your best bet. And will more than likely work. Good luck.

Use key words like:
    pregnant, baby, surprise, father, daddy, young parent, responsibility, raising a family, woke me up, realize have a lot in front of me, need to push all the more now, would love a chance, will prove it, gives me a real goal now to support this girl and my baby... and I am very happy and want to have a great life...... so need some real help~

Haha SlimmerMe I am pretty sure I used every single one of those keywords in the email, the only problem is the class size is huge and its just 50 minutes of lecture no interaction so she and I havent become good friends or anything lol. But on the plus side if I didnt make a C it would be within a point or 2 so im sure that makes things better

If you still have a chance....GO SEE HER IN PERSON! Makes a BIG difference......

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    If you still have a chance....GO SEE HER IN PERSON! Makes a BIG difference......
    i agree with this totally. and, you will never know the answer to your question if you never ask it to her! grow some balls and go see her and talk with her. worst answer you can get is, sorry, there is nothing i can do about it.

Im one step ahead guys I had already intended on it. I would have a little sooner but she hasnt really had any office hours this past week so I havent had an opportunity.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    x2..

I barely skim the emails I get from students.

Go see her in person during her office hours, shows you are serious and invested.

and while there have a legal pad in hand with a pen and ask her what you need to do to bring your grades up. You want it to look like you are getting ready to make a serious list.

I had to do this myself once. And it worked. And I did get a list from the teacher. And I did the list. And my grade went a lot higher in a matter of a couple days.

Well the only problem is... the final exam is today lol. I think I am pretty much screwed unless I own this test which idk about that lol

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Well the only problem is... the final exam is today lol. I think I am pretty much screwed unless I own this test which idk about that lol
    sounds like you should have put more time into studying than trying to figure the easy way out

Sounds like you should shutup.

LOL jk but I know you are right I am about to get back to studying right now actually

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Too bad you aren't a scholarship athlete or you'd have it made! LOL!

Haha well I actually have an academic scholarship paying for my out of state tuition and I was offered a spot on the track team about 2 months ago starting off with a small scholarship for like my books and meals and working my way up every year I stuck with it they said. However, I had already made plans to transfer schools for my major so I had to turn them down, and plus I have a baby on the way so I dont think I am going to have time for it really. But I might consider it at the school I am transferring too

Ok I got shot down on the lecture, she said she isnt able to change any scores now because its all graded on Scantrons and there is no extra credit or anything else. But the lecture is 50% of our grade and the lab is 50% and my lab instructor said he might be able to help give me a little more cushion just in case I dont score as high as I hope on the exam so if thats the case that will be great

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I had a kid when coming out of high school and had another one when I was in college (same girl). I was a high profile athlete in a major sport at a D1 school. Usually at these schools, big time football players can get the benefit of the doubt! LOL!!!

Haha you are right about the football guys BgMAc. I just got out of the exam and in short it was hard as shit and i did awful I deserve a bad grade but my god it was hard everybody was suprised

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    I have done it many times and i have had it work. But I never missed class...and always participated/came prepared.

I hardly ever miss class bjpenn, I normally will limit myself to one maybe 2 times at most for a class and thats only if I accidentally oversleep basically or I had a dr. appt once so I dont miss hardly ever which is nice because some teachers give attendance/participation points

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!

Thread Information