iseckz is offline New Member

Advice? Its college related

Well I'm deciding to go back into school. Little bit about me is I'm 21. Work as a Fine dine server / Bartender. I make Great money and I'm pretty much stable . Well anyways.

I feel like shit lately.
    Like sure I'm living my fun young party miami life.
    But i'll be at work sometimes, and just feel like shit and think about my future. Mind you I'm the youngest one in my job. Everyone is 25-60y/o with my same occupation. Seeing them makes me want to go back to school full time. Study sport medicine or something I enjoy.

I'm planning on putting in my two week notice. I been with them for 2 years. When I started I was going to school for the semester. Then dropped out cause they didn't want to work with my schedule, at the time i didn't mind. I was a young kid with money I earned each day and not my parent's money.

I swear All i'm missing is a House under my name and a bigger boat. I had the pleasure to buy my truck cash price 06 Nissan Titan v8. And I just purchased a 07 G35 coupe with a rebuilt title.. No big deal for a great cash price. And it feels great to do it. I know me leaving my job. My wild life style is going to change and i might regret it.

So I come here not to brag or anything.. I say this because when i go to my age group friends. They bash me for weighing my pros and cons. think I'm dumb for quitting.. I'm " SET for life" just shit I don't want to hear. I Can't really go to my parents for advice. They have theirs sets of problems and I been doing me since i was 16 at the mall with a waiter job.

I guess what I'm trying to say. Money really doesn't bring happiness lol. I'm sure it does when you feel like you accomplished something. Like having a Degree. My ex-girlfriend is the only one that supports my decision. She always been the only one pushing me since I dropped out. So with that said.

I been lurking around the forums for a while now (since high school). Joined up not to long ago finally. Lol But I know from what i seen. I'll get some solid encouraging feedback.

I Know school is all about sacrificing. I think I'm ready. I just want to know if I'm doing the right thing..

Builder15 is offline Junior Member
    I don't think anyone would say that going back to school would be a mistake. You never know how the restaurant/bartending business is going to be so even though you are making good money now things could change. Like you said, money isn't everything and you should be doing a job that you enjoy and if that's not your current situation then going back to school would be a great idea. Worst case scenario if things don't work out, then I'm sure you would be able to find a position current to your similar job.

Hopefully I can give you some insight with the sports medicine career. What kind of path were you thinking about doing in this field? I spent 4 years of college and 2.5 years of graduate school to be where I am now in the sports medicine world. I enjoy what I do and enjoy helping people each day. The money is good but, the feeling of truly helping people is priceless. You are still young and have plenty of time to figure out what to do, but I wouldn't wait too long before going back to school. Hope this helps.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    i say if you think you are ready, go for it. i have had a bumpy road here and there in my career but going finish college was always on my list. it took me 8 years to do it, but i finished. i partied my ass off for years in school and then did as you did. dropped out of school and went to work. i did hard labor for years and then decided to go back to school were i finished in no time because i was focused on the task at hand. now that i do have a degree, i love my job, but have no money which totally sucks! i did make more money years ago but now i have a satisfying job of doing breast cancer research. i am looking for another job because of the pay here stinks, but i do enjoy coming to work everyday hoping that i can make a difference. well, thats my two cents, and having the degree will open up more opportunities for you in the future so i say if you feel you are focused and ready, go for it!

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Always invest in yourself! Try going back to school and staying with your job part time and selling a few items for extra cash. (one of your cars/boats)

Flier is offline Productive Member
    Education does not mean more $, or more happiness, or more satisfaction. U can have the same feeling of accomplishment without an education, if u can detach from the norms of society.
    Unless u have a passion for what u study, u will have nothing more than a title, and a diploma on the wall.
    Don´t go to college just to get that 4 year generic degree, just because.
    You´re very young, start some soul-searching. Find out what your true passion is, when you dig deep past expectations of society, parents, friends, and take the $ out of the equation. 21 is young but u should by now have an inclination what your passion is, and what you´re good at.
    Once u finish this process, which will take 1 evening, or 1 year, then u´re ready to change your path. And if that path starts with a BS, MS or Phd, then go for it.
    And once you figure it out, only tell people that will give you positive feedback!!!...everything else is just noise.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by First Timer 42 View Post
    Education does not mean more $, or more happiness, or more satisfaction. U can have the same feeling of accomplishment without an education, if u can detach from the norms of society.
    Unless u have a passion for what u study, u will have nothing more than a title, and a diploma on the wall.
    You´re very young, start some soul-searching. Find out what your true passion is, when you dig deep past expectations of society, parents, friends, and take the $ out of the equation. 21 is young but u should by now have an inclination what your passion is, and what you´re good at.
    Once u finish this process, which will take 1 evening, or 1 year, then u´re ready to change your path. And if that path starts with a BS, MS or Phd, then go for it.
    And once you figure it out, only tell people that will give you positive feedback!!!...everything else is just noise.
    TRUE TRUE TRUE.....and it doesn't matter what it is. Think of it this way:

1: education with passion
    2: education with no passion
    3: passion with no education

# 2 will never beat the other two choices and #3 can sometimes catch up IF the passion is more intense

awms is offline Senior Member
    I know how you feel 100% man...Im 23 almost 24 and I was in your shoes last year. I had dropped out of college a few years ago and had been working making decent money (good money for my age) but nothing that I could support a family with! and living the party life...It was nice to be able to buy clothes when I wanted, spend $100 at the club if I wanted, go o trips ect ect...but as I got older I looked around at the people I worked with (all of them were older) and I didnt want to be like them 10 years from now! most of them were just geting by living pay check to pay check and one women had 3 kids and still lived with her parents!

What did I do? I went back to school to do somthing I love! I want to get into kinesiology but unforchantly I didnt have the grades from highschool so Im taking a college course now that will allow me to get into 3rd year of kin. as long as I keep a 3.5 gpa. It sucks because alot of my friend are done school and working and Im just starting out...prob wont be done until im about 28 but imo It will be well worth it!

Make sure you know what you want to do! do somthing you love and work hard at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Builder15 View Post
    I don't think anyone would say that going back to school would be a mistake. You never know how the restaurant/bartending business is going to be so even though you are making good money now things could change. Like you said, money isn't everything and you should be doing a job that you enjoy and if that's not your current situation then going back to school would be a great idea. Worst case scenario if things don't work out, then I'm sure you would be able to find a position current to your similar job.

Hopefully I can give you some insight with the sports medicine career. What kind of path were you thinking about doing in this field? I spent 4 years of college and 2.5 years of graduate school to be where I am now in the sports medicine world. I enjoy what I do and enjoy helping people each day. The money is good but, the feeling of truly helping people is priceless. You are still young and have plenty of time to figure out what to do, but I wouldn't wait too long before going back to school. Hope this helps.
    Business seems to be there, but idk like you said anything can happen, plus I'm not enjoying the I'm getting sucked back into the work work work. not getting shit done for me.

To your other question on where in sport medicine field I want to study. I'm not sure. Just want to help people with injures that are cause from lifting,sports,mma,atv/car/bike crashes. etc.

I have older buddies with their degree in sports medicine and therapist that own clinics/spa all around miami. I want to work with them as one of their therapist. Thats what I see myself doing. Gain experience and knowledge to own my own clinic when I'm older.

Not me working countless hours(64-70hour shifts a week) to break 1500$ a week. My job likes me so They pour all these hours on me, and I can't say no. So i'm putting in my two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    i say if you think you are ready, go for it. i have had a bumpy road here and there in my career but going finish college was always on my list. it took me 8 years to do it, but i finished. i partied my ass off for years in school and then did as you did. dropped out of school and went to work. i did hard labor for years and then decided to go back to school were i finished in no time because i was focused on the task at hand. now that i do have a degree, i love my job, but have no money which totally sucks! i did make more money years ago but now i have a satisfying job of doing breast cancer research. i am looking for another job because of the pay here stinks, but i do enjoy coming to work everyday hoping that i can make a difference. well, thats my two cents, and having the degree will open up more opportunities for you in the future so i say if you feel you are focused and ready, go for it!
    Thanks, that how i want to feel. Don't get me wrong I love being a bartender and I'm good at my job. Just I'm bored of it.. I'm ready. Let me go for it! Good luck in your job hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Always invest in yourself! Try going back to school and staying with your job part time and selling a few items for extra cash. (one of your cars/boats)
    I like my toys . but I'm consider in selling my truck due to gas!!
    I tried the asking for part time or extra days off for school. They said no. I even took it to HR and nothing was done about it. I'm putting in my two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by First Timer 42 View Post
    I agree with you 100% percent. Lol I'm trying.
    Last edited by iseckz; 04-26-2011 at 02:45 PM.

haha, Thanks bro I might be done by 25-26 That's still young to me. good luck bro. This time I'm excited to go back.

Thanks alot guys!/girls

Thread Information