Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Name your top 5 favorite metal bands

The title says it all. If you're not a fan of metal, please don't post here.

Feel free to elaborate as to what makes them the best in your book. I'll start, in no particular order:

Metallica (Kill Em All through AJFA) - do they really even need an explanation? They're Metallica, they are responsible for so much of this genre, it's insane. Wasn't a huge fan of the early 90's stuff though. Black Album was cool

Iron Maiden (Iron Maiden through Somewhere in Time) - Absolutely love Maiden, saw them twice in the same summer! Bruce is my favorite metal frontman - I just love his vocal style, powerful, reaches and connects with the crowd, great range. As a guitar player, i'm a big fan of Adrian Smith as well. In general, I just love how melodic and tasteful their music is.

I dug the earlier punky Paul D'Anna stuff, but that wasn't the Maiden 'sound'. Also hated the Seventh Son stuff (with the exception of 2 songs) and beyond... but those golden years... there was nobody better!

Slayer - For being the most badass thrash band of all time. Angel of Death, for me, is still the quintessential thrash song. Sick riffs and lyrics... Reign in Blood was a brilliant album

Pantera - For bringing the style they did to the genre. Songs like 'Walk' just make me want to hurt people... I love the energy!!!

The last one is a toss up for me because I love so many other bands, and it's tough to narrow it to 5 (maybe I should have done top 10?). I have to give it to Sabbath - they pretty much invented the genre after all. Ozzy is a metal God.

Honorable mentions to:

Testament
    Nuclear Assault
    Suicidal Tendencies
    Megadeth (hate Dave's vocals, but he's a brilliant guitarist)
    too many more to get into.

I am not counting bands like Kiss, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, etc - for ME, they don't fit the true metal genre. Zeppelin is one of my all time favorite bands, but I hardly consider them metal.

Your turn

Bigd89 is offline Senior Member
    1. As I lay dying
    2. Bleeding through
    3. Trivium
    4. Lamb of god
    5. Pantera

Plenty of more but you listed 5

rissinite is offline Associate Member
    Pantera
    36 Crazyfists
    Slipknot
    Metallica
    Slipknot
    Deftones/Korn

LoL, my picks clearly show my age!

I'm not a huge fan of death metal, black metal, nu-metal, metalcore, screamcore, screamo - whatever the eff you wanna call it. Growling lyrics isn't my thing. However, As I Lay Dying gets a pass from me because their riffs can be very melodic. Not too into LoG though. Thanks for not saying Atreyu lol!

I wanted to mention Opeth, because they're just fvckin badass! I know he growls alot, but he can also sing - listen to The Baying of the Hounds for instance. They're like progressive metal, and I love that shit!

I hate crap like Cannibal Corpse, Pig Destroyer, Gorgoroth, etc...

I'll probably get flamed for saying it, but I actually like a few songs from Slipknot. I know hardcore guys hate them and I realize they're just corporate puppets, but songs like 'Sic' are pretty fvckin good in my book.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    I don't listen to a whole lot, but Protest The Hero is top drawer.

Flacco is offline Member
    I haven't been exposed to too much recent Metal. I love all types of music. And its hard for me to make a Top Five. I will say that My Fav band of all time is TOOL Hands down. I love Metallica, Pantera, Korn, Hatebreed, Slipknot, Rage Against the Machine + NIN (if they are metal) Godsmack, White zombie before rob zombie, I always wanted to see Manson Live before He turned all Plastic n shit. I saw Lamb O God, Shadows Fall, and 5 finger death Punch at the Mayhem fest in Jersey last year... They were good. Like I said, I like all types of music, I won't bash anybody for liking what they like, thats fXckin ignorant. Metal Is freggin awesome! I'll have to check out some of the bands you guys listed above. I'm always looking to get turned on to new stuff.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    The Carpenters
    The Partridge family
    The Osmonds
    Journey
    Simon and Garfunkel

HAHAHAHAHA! Jus fvckin wit yall. I don't know much about metal. But I do rock some metallica and korn while I'm lifting. Angry white guy music is pretty intense!

sixoner is offline Member
    deftones
    slayer
    sabbath
    helmet
    lamb of god
    ministry

hell yeah for suicidal GB!!! I was jamming to some ST the other day....good call bro
    Last edited by sixoner; 03-17-2011 at 09:15 PM.

FLdave is offline New Member
    Deftones
    Fear Factory
    Nothing Face
    American Head Charge
    Machine Head

Not sure if I would consider the Deftones a metal band, but they are my personal fav!
    As far as older metal bands, Anthrax, Pantera, Suicidal T for sure...
    Nice topic by the way!!

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    slayer
    rammstein
    acdc
    motorhead
    lamb of god

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    The Carpenters
    The Partridge family
    The Osmonds
    Journey
    Simon and Garfunkel

HAHAHAHAHA! Jus fvckin wit yall. I don't know much about metal. But I do rock some metallica and korn while I'm lifting. Angry white guy music is pretty intense!
    Lmao, nice picks Bg! Funny about your lifting music of choice - I listen to the same for lifting, but when it comes time to cardio, I need a beat. I switch it up to Das-Efx and Brand Nubian. Yep, a white boy listening to angry black 5 percenter music (not Das Efx)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sixoner View Post
    deftones
    slayer
    sabbath
    helmet
    lamb of god
    ministry

hell yeah for suicidal GB!!! I was jamming to some ST the other day....good call bro
    Ministry, forgot them, good call! Yea man, love ST

Quote Originally Posted by FLdave View Post
    Deftones
    Fear Factory
    Nothing Face
    American Head Charge
    Machine Head

Not sure if I would consider the Deftones a metal band, but they are my personal fav!
    As far as older metal bands, Anthrax, Pantera, Suicidal T for sure...
    Nice topic by the way!!
    Thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    slayer
    rammstein
    acdc
    motorhead
    lamb of god
    I never considered AC/DC metal. To me, they're pure rock, or hard rock at most. Great pick though, great band.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Not really a metal guy. Love my rock though.
    Kiss
    AC/DC
    W.A.S.P
    Cinderella
    Nickelback

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    Not really a metal guy. Love my rock though.
    Kiss
    AC/DC
    W.A.S.P
    Cinderella
    Nickelback
    I was ok with your list until I saw Cinderella.

ATTENTION!!! I want my man card back effective immediately!!! Sitting down to piss isn't nearly as bad as being a Cinderella fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

ATTENTION!!! I want my man card back effective immediately!!! Sitting down to piss isn't nearly as bad as being a Cinderella fan!!!
    That is cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    That is cold.
    You must also like Warrant, Poison, Stryper... who else? =)

You must also like Warrant, Poison, Stryper... who else? =)
    NO I do not sir. Always thought Cinderella was one of the top hair bands in thier short time.

dosXX is offline Member
    pantera walk is still on the very top of my list
    metallica real OG
    rage against the machine
    marilyn manson
    tony bennet eyy what can i say i love the guy

olderfella is offline Associate Member
    ac/dc
    deep purple
    rainbow
    iron maiden
    led zep

Blog Entries
    Lmao, nice picks Bg! Funny about your lifting music of choice - I listen to the same for lifting, but when it comes time to cardio, I need a beat. I switch it up to Das-Efx and Brand Nubian. Yep, a white boy listening to angry black 5 percenter music (not Das Efx)!!!

Ministry, forgot them, good call! Yea man, love ST

Thanks bro!

I never considered AC/DC metal. To me, they're pure rock, or hard rock at most. Great pick though, great band.
    yeah, id consider em rock n roll, motorhead also for that matter, metal is a big umbrella though lol. you'll hear more ppl call zepp metal when essentially they are a blues band

Blog Entries

lmao. sorry tiger lol

yeah, id consider em rock n roll, motorhead also for that matter, metal is a big umbrella though lol. you'll hear more ppl call zepp metal when essentially they are a blues band
    Yep, I LOVE Zep, one of my all time favs. I hate when they get grouped in with metal. Do they have some (relatively) heavy songs? Sure. Have they had a huge influence on the metal genre? Undoubtedly. Are they metal? FVCK NO! They are way too talented to be held to a single genre. Definitely a blues foundation, with a twist of rock, folk, and even middle eastern (think Kashmir).

Motorhead - Lemmy is the effin man! Ugly as sin, but I love listening to his interviews, lol!

bruary17 is offline Member
    Not one of you guys mentioned one of the greatest heavy bands in ameican history!

Killswitch Engage!

Not familiar with them...here you go...thank me later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wG6pSfgdec
    Last edited by bruary17; 03-18-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    Metallica has to be at top of list
    Judas Priest
    Van Halen
    AC/Dc
    Black Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    Metallica has to be at top of list
    Judas Priest
    Van Halen
    AC/Dc
    Black Sabbath
    A man after my own heart! Save the gayness comments, you and that DSM!!! =P

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    A man after my own heart! Save the gayness comments, you and that DSM!!! =P
    Hey we can just have a bro-mance. It doesnt have to be gay. you would probably be surprised how much we had in common, well except that sex thing. But there are times of the month I could help a (willing) married brother out. Keyword (willing). Jk. I like all kinds of music, but in that category, those were at the top of my list.

kelevra is offline Member
    The title says it all. If you're not a fan of metal, please don't post here.

Feel free to elaborate as to what makes them the best in your book. I'll start, in no particular order:

Metallica (Kill Em All through AJFA) - do they really even need an explanation? They're Metallica, they are responsible for so much of this genre, it's insane. Wasn't a huge fan of the early 90's stuff though. Black Album was cool

Iron Maiden (Iron Maiden through Somewhere in Time) - Absolutely love Maiden, saw them twice in the same summer! Bruce is my favorite metal frontman - I just love his vocal style, powerful, reaches and connects with the crowd, great range. As a guitar player, i'm a big fan of Adrian Smith as well. In general, I just love how melodic and tasteful their music is.

I dug the earlier punky Paul D'Anna stuff, but that wasn't the Maiden 'sound'. Also hated the Seventh Son stuff (with the exception of 2 songs) and beyond... but those golden years... there was nobody better!

Slayer - For being the most badass thrash band of all time. Angel of Death, for me, is still the quintessential thrash song. Sick riffs and lyrics... Reign in Blood was a brilliant album

Pantera - For bringing the style they did to the genre. Songs like 'Walk' just make me want to hurt people... I love the energy!!!

The last one is a toss up for me because I love so many other bands, and it's tough to narrow it to 5 (maybe I should have done top 10?). I have to give it to Sabbath - they pretty much invented the genre after all. Ozzy is a metal God.

Honorable mentions to:

Testament
    Nuclear Assault
    Suicidal Tendencies
    Megadeth (hate Dave's vocals, but he's a brilliant guitarist)
    too many more to get into.

I am not counting bands like Kiss, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, etc - for ME, they don't fit the true metal genre. Zeppelin is one of my all time favorite bands, but I hardly consider them metal.

Your turn
    Glad to see some recognition for Suicidal
    very underrated band
    My top 5 would prob be
    Pantera
    Zombie
    Suicidal
    Disturbed
    I would have said God Smack, but I listened to Metallica for 20 years and the old farts can still rock. I have certainly damaged more hearing ability listening to them than any other band.

Some mentionable
    Static X
    Powerman 5K
    Slipknot
    Ministry
    Five Finger Death Punch

meat&2veg is offline Associate Member
    No.1.Metallica without a shadow of a doubt is in top spot! I have seen them 6 times when I was back in England...F**king amazing! Master of puppets is one of the best albums ever although I do love to train to Death Magnetic! Have been a fan since I was at school and have a very rare collection of vinal including picture disks, coloured vinal, bootleg vinal and original singles when they were on record label "Music for Nations" before Vertigo...Everything is sheer brilliance!!!

No.2. Slayer These are some serious boys that can make some serious noise!!! Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, South of Heaven...Say no more, no need!

No.3. Motorhead Yes im English and proud of these mighty metal giants...The original road crew! Lemmy is legend...J.D guzzling speed head!!!

No.4. Anthrax Again pioneers of metal...Great sounds and Scott Ian knows his way around a guitar!

No.5. Pantera I would say is my 5th spot but its close with Megadeth.

Love music!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    Hey we can just have a bro-mance. It doesnt have to be gay. you would probably be surprised how much we had in common, well except that sex thing. But there are times of the month I could help a (willing) married brother out. Keyword (willing). Jk. I like all kinds of music, but in that category, those were at the top of my list.
    Lmao, so much more reserved than DSM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by meat&2veg View Post
    No.1.Metallica without a shadow of a doubt is in top spot! I have seen them 6 times when I was back in England...F**king amazing! Master of puppets is one of the best albums ever although I do love to train to Death Magnetic! Have been a fan since I was at school and have a very rare collection of vinal including picture disks, coloured vinal, bootleg vinal and original singles when they were on record label "Music for Nations" before Vertigo...Everything is sheer brilliance!!!

No.2. Slayer These are some serious boys that can make some serious noise!!! Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, South of Heaven...Say no more, no need!

No.3. Motorhead Yes im English and proud of these mighty metal giants...The original road crew! Lemmy is legend...J.D guzzling speed head!!!

No.4. Anthrax Again pioneers of metal...Great sounds and Scott Ian knows his way around a guitar!

No.5. Pantera I would say is my 5th spot but its close with Megadeth.

Love music!!!
    During their peak (IMO), i.e. Spreading the Disease, Among the Living, etc. I was WAY into Anthrax. When I listen now, the music hasn't aged well man... it's sad. It sounds so dated to me. I'm not even sure now what I liked so much about it. Caught in a Mosh is still a great song though.

On the other hand, I can throw Ride The Lightning or Master in, and they still sound so fresh. Same thing with most Slayer albums...

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    1. KSE
    2. Disturbed
    3. Godsmack
    4. Pantera
    5. Metallica

Honorable mentions: powerman 5k - when worlds collide makes me feel like lifting a house.. Robzombie- Cuz im a superbeast damnit... Rise against- not really death metal still makes me feel like i can go all night...

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger

Blog Entries
    Yep, I LOVE Zep, one of my all time favs. I hate when they get grouped in with metal. Do they have some (relatively) heavy songs? Sure. Have they had a huge influence on the metal genre? Undoubtedly. Are they metal? FVCK NO! They are way too talented to be held to a single genre. Definitely a blues foundation, with a twist of rock, folk, and even middle eastern (think Kashmir).

Motorhead - Lemmy is the effin man! Ugly as sin, but I love listening to his interviews, lol!
    he is god!!!! lol, ive two motorhead tribute tatts and going for a third, prob a portrait of the man himself!

Blog Entries
    Lmao, so much more reserved than DSM!!!

During their peak (IMO), i.e. Spreading the Disease, Among the Living, etc. I was WAY into Anthrax. When I listen now, the music hasn't aged well man... it's sad. It sounds so dated to me. I'm not even sure now what I liked so much about it. Caught in a Mosh is still a great song though.

On the other hand, I can throw Ride The Lightning or Master in, and they still sound so fresh. Same thing with most Slayer albums...
    amen, well said. i feel proud when i see teenagers in slayer shirts. 30yrs of spine shaking thrash and still going!!!!

some of you guys would like the sonisphere fest at knebworth england this year, the big four play on the friday night!!! i went last year as rammstein headlined the sat night, disgusted this year at crap like weezer, limp bizkit and biffy clyro getting main slots
    ruined my yearly exodus

Blog Entries
    oh, and no ones mentioned system of a down yet, thought you yanks would be big for em!!

cro
    cro is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    a very good friend of mine was the rythym guitarist for nuclear assault .eric berk. i use to play bass in the same hard corps band with him.withered earth. we almost made it .

cro
    Blog Entries
    some of my best friends made it . cannible corpes/ we all grew up together.we all use to play at the old storage on lyell. were metallica did garage days. its good to see there is some hard corps fans ill post some songs if i can. hope you like double bass.lolol
    Last edited by cro; 03-19-2011 at 10:13 AM.

amen, well said. i feel proud when i see teenagers in slayer shirts. 30yrs of spine shaking thrash and still going!!!!
    I love seeing this too!

oh, and no ones mentioned system of a down yet, thought you yanks would be big for em!!
    Meh, they're ok. I liked it when they first came out, but there's better stuff out there IMO. I have an Armenian friend who's all proud of them!

Quote Originally Posted by cro View Post
    a very good friend of mine was the rythym guitarist for nuclear assault .eric berk. i use to play bass in the same hard corps band with him.withered earth. we almost made it .
    I used to be big into the NYHC scene in the early 90's. I noticed you're from NY. Man, that was a fun time, shows at CBGB's, Wetlands, etc. I was into alot of bands at the time:

Killing Time (Raw Deal)
    Leeway
    Vision
    Quicksand
    VoD
    Agnostic Front
    Cro Mags
    Uppercut
    Supertouch
    Breakdown
    Sheer Terror

Man, there were so many of them...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cro View Post
    saw em back up slayer on the south of heaven tour '88 (my ist ever gig incidently ) and on a triple bill, in belfast, with SOD and DRI in 1990 or maybe 1991
    Last edited by dec11; 03-19-2011 at 10:54 AM.

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    pantera
    old sepultura
    old slayer
    old metallica
    exhorder

cro
    Blog Entries
    love slayer thats how i got into hard corps.kerry kings the best. and followed billy shean on the bass guys phenominal.cliff burton.i played with coc corosion of comformity, for 5 shows
    saw em back up slayer on the south of heaven tour '88 (my ist ever gig incidently ) and on a triple bill, in belfast, with SOD and DRI in 1990 or maybe 1991

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information